Long Game 98: A Tale of Mists and Metals

Araris Valerian

16 minutes ago, Ookla of Ravens said:

"well... true. i- i was going to wait until morning. but i will say it now. Solo, you have been quite... accusatory, and, i see the point behind... culling. to continue the village goals. and some people have already voted you. i may be a thief, but its... different. you can steal someone's shoes, not their life."

You cannot vote during the night,

"My name is Sonoluminescence, not solo."

Rem awoke with a start to the squealing of hinges. No matter how much he greased it, his front door would never stay quiet. He rose slowly out of bed, reaching around before closing his hand on a solid wooden staff. A figure crept by his bedroom, a knife clutched in on hand. Noticing Rem was already alerted, the intruder stood up, appearing to weigh his options.

Rem hefted his dueling cane, then opened his other hand, revealing a coin. "You come after me, maybe you win, and maybe you don't. But we both get hurt. So how about a wager? Heads, you leave. I haven't seen your face. Tails, I'll make it easy for you."

The masked figure hesitated for a moment before nodding. Rem tossed the coin and both of their faces were glued to the bit of metal as it tumbled through the air. It bounced twice on the wooden floor before tipping to one side, displaying the face of a Khlenni ruler. Rem glanced back up to see the intruder slipping out into the night. He was doubly lucky, to have won the toss and to have been attacked by someone with at least a scrap of honor. Somewhat unfortunate, that he'd likely never be able to wager with higher stakes for the rest of his life.

Revir spent his nights in a warehouse, full of an assortment of supplies that Arwhin had traded with the Hero's passing army for. No food of course, the mayor kept a tight grip on food, ostensibly to distribute it fairly. But medical supplies, fresh lumber, and even some spare weapons were stacked in neat piles in the otherwise open space. Of course, Revir had stolen the warehouse, which made all of the supplies his. Tonight he was returning from the mayors house, slightly disappointed with what he was adding to his stash. Arwhin had pulled a Spiked from Wendarr's body and taken it back to the manor, but Revir hadn't been able to find it anywhere. As a consolation, he'd taken a silver paperweight from the fellow's desk. Better than nothing, he supposed. Rounding the final corner, Revir caught an exclamation, carried by a breeze through the mists.

"Gotcha!"

He felt a shock of terrible pain as a handful of coins sprayed into his body. As Revir fell to the ground, a cloaked figure strode out from the mists and pried the object from his hands. The attacker stared in shock at the paperweight for a moment before muttering, "Well, that's not a spike." Dropping another coin, Revir's killer lauched up into the misty night while Revir's vision faded to black.

Jorrick was up early, intent on putting some finishing touches on the gallows. The mayor had been rather urgent in his request, so Jorrick had complied, but good work couldn't be done that quickly. The carpenter smoothed some of the edges around the front before rising to inspect the raised platform. That was when they noticed the message, scrawled across the supporting beams, presumably by the same Tineye that had been anonymously delivering messages. It read:

һі

Rem was attacked, but survived! Revir was a Vanilla Villager!

Day 2 has begun, and will end at 6PM EST on Wednesday the 29th.

Player List:

1. @Ravenclawjedi42 as Dasenk, a suspicious historian
  2. @Sart as Sirta, a boisterous gentleman with a hankering for drink
  3. @Aeoryi as Sonoluminescence, an architect that enjoys not working
  4. @Kasimir as Onon Khentii, conman and ostensible psychic who speaks with the dead
  5. @DrakeMarshall as "Lord" Pending, a presumptuous nobleman of somewhat dubious origin
  6. @Archer as Rem, a high-stakes gambler
  7. @JNV as Jorrick, a methodical carpenter
  8. TheRavenHasLanded as Revir, a compulsive thief Vanilla Villager
  9. @Quirksliver as Rilla, an insane "matchmaker"

"WAKE UP! WAKE UP! I'VE BEEN ATTACKED!" 

Rem ran through the streets, banging on doors. "Who attacked you?" someone asked. 

"HARD TO SAY."

If they'd witnessed Revir's murder, they might have been inclined to think of it as a villager Coinshot, based on how it had been framed. 

"How did you survive?" 

"That's a secret I'd rather not share. Please, no autographs. Okay, maybe a few..."

Sono

12 minutes ago, Ookla the Paradigm said:

"WAKE UP! WAKE UP! I'VE BEEN ATTACKED!" 

Rem ran through the streets, banging on doors. "Who attacked you?" someone asked. 

"HARD TO SAY."

If they'd witnessed Revir's murder, they might have been inclined to think of it as a villager Coinshot, based on how it had been framed. 

"How did you survive?" 

"That's a secret I'd rather not share. Please, no autographs. Okay, maybe a few..."

Sono

"I can confirm that I did not target you last night. Of course, being attacked and surviving is not a clear, since a so-called wounded Gazelle Gambit might make sense here."

Sono wrote down some stuff:

Reasons for Coinshot shooting Rem:

- relatively high suspect

- gives village some info

Reasons for Spiked going after Rem:

- Relatively big contributer

- perhaps he saw something that others didn't, spiked didn't like that

Reasons for Coinshot going after Revir:

- Spiked mild read by Onon

- Hard to read generally, and probably won't be exe'd for a while

Reasons for Spiked to go after Revir:

- Low priority for protects

"Based on this, I predict that the coinshot went after Revir, and the spiked went after Rem. If the Coinshot could claim privately to Onon, then we could know for sure."

Just now, DrakeMarshall said:

"I applaud your decision to just say no to death. Bad for the skin," Lord Pending repeated sagely.

Sonoluminescence

Voting Tally:

Sono (2): Sono, Rem

Pending

Dasenk heads outside, and sees Lord Panders speaking to an almost-victim. If Sonoluminescence claimed not to target Rem, it seemed that Rem was a thug. Dasenk could believe that. For some reason this made him suspect Panding intensely, despit not having a good reason for doing so.

"Gentlemen, I am extremely hung over. Could someone please get me some water?"

This was the problem of drinking to forget. The headaches only made him want more booze. Still, he had to refocus.

"Right then. It's a bit of a shoddy method, but in situations like these, it's best to consider the powers of people. We've got some interesting deductions to make. First off, our Thief had no abilities. That certainly implies not everyone's been blessed by the mists this time around. We also had a vigilante go out at night. That means somebody is burning Steel. Furthermore, Rem survived an attack the same Night. I'd be willing to say he's a Thug, but it could be a lucky Lurch. Now, we've got two claims of Thuggery, but Onon has been holding out on who the second is. We've also got a Lurcher claim from Sono. That's a lot of protection claiming going round, and I'm not sure I buy it. We've even got a Tineye ferrying our messages about. Something ain't right here."

"I'm placing a vote on Sonoluminescence. The claim is just too fishy with this much power going around."

6 minutes ago, Sart said:

This was the problem of drinking to forget. The headaches only made him want more booze. Still, he had to refocus.

"Right then. It's a bit of a shoddy method, but in situations like these, it's best to consider the powers of people. We've got some interesting deductions to make. First off, our Thief had no abilities. That certainly implies not everyone's been blessed by the mists this time around. We also had a vigilante go out at night. That means somebody is burning Steel. Furthermore, Rem survived an attack the same Night. I'd be willing to say he's a Thug, but it could be a lucky Lurch. Now, we've got two claims of Thuggery, but Onon has been holding out on who the second is. We've also got a Lurcher claim from Sono. That's a lot of protection claiming going round, and I'm not sure I buy it. We've even got a Tineye ferrying our messages about. Something ain't right here."

"I'm placing a vote on Sonoluminescence. The claim is just too fishy with this much power going around."

"Perhaps with more of those coin pushers, there might be more protection. Just food for thought."

Vote Tally:

Sono (3): Sirta, Sono, Rem

Pending (1): Dasenk

Onon continued to scribble. His injured arm still hurt.

• Not a fan of narrowing to Sono this early. Discussion is necessary. Kash's spirit claimed not to recognise his attacker as the attacker took Kash from behind.

That much was true. He'd seen the position of the stab marks on the body.

• Believe existence of Coinshot guarantees more protective powers. Potentially possible any Spiked with such powers may refuse to claim.

He added, and then crossed out:

• Coinshot may be Spiked. Targeting of Coinshot in this instance is worrisome. Arguably a loud target that can be taken down and still help the Spiked, if Rem is Village.

Sometimes, Fate had a sense of humour, Onon supposed. But there was no point in worrying people now.

• Revir is a particularly indicative kill. A village Thief who was under some suspicion. The willingness to kill Revir suggests...

He hissed and clutched at his hand. Later, then. The apothecary had given him something for the pain but he needed rest.

Edited to add:

Armed with pain relievers, even if they tasted foul, Onon continued:

• Revir was new to Copper's Bend. The willingness to kill Revir off the bat is unorthodox. It does implicate someone like Sirta, or potentially SonoPending, even Jorrick or Rilla
  • I hadn't expected the Spiked to kill in the pool of noisy people anyway, given myself, Sono, Pending, and Rem have all come under suspicion at one point or another. Too much potential to frame the innocent.
  • I am considering what this says about Spiked disposition and confidence in the village square. I instinctively feel this is the sort of thing a more confident group does.
  • Rilla's ability to respond to visits and letters but lack of presence makes me consider a world where Rilla is Spiked and wishes to avoid being implicated. This is especially so because Rilla does not lie.
  • Rem claimed to be self-protecting last Night. This did not make me feel any happier about the sheer bonzana of protection Jahidi has apparently blessed this village with.
  • Sono made a claim last Night. I will admit it does give Sono some amount of credibility.

Edited by Kasimir

Rilla sat in a hidden corner of the library, hunched over records of the previous days. Leaving for the harvest festival had caused her to miss so much! There were reports of odd, seemingly shared dreams of Spiked trying to murder everybody. There were also reports of Spiked actually trying to murder everybody. She checked, and this was probably real. The blood was not - it never was. The cat, though, might be. Focus. The words. She needed to finish reading this before another day passed her by.

39 minutes ago, Quirksliver said:

Rilla sat in a hidden corner of the library, hunched over records of the previous days. Leaving for the harvest festival had caused her to miss so much! There were reports of odd, seemingly shared dreams of Spiked trying to murder everybody. There were also reports of Spiked actually trying to murder everybody. She checked, and this was probably real. The blood was not - it never was. The cat, though, might be. Focus. The words. She needed to finish reading this before another day passed her by.

Sono thought. 

It was too strange. If rem was indeed a spiked, it would explain many things.

It had to be Rem. Sink would finalize why later.

Rem

4 hours ago, Ookla the Resolute said:

Vote Tally:

Sono (2): Sirta, Rem

Rem (1): Sono

Pending (1): Dasenk

Lord Pending stood out in front of the inn, clutching a cup of something steaming in one hand and a very generously buttered slice of toast in the other. He leaned with his back against the wall, his cane resting unused against his leg.

"Quite an eventful night, I hear."

"We've been getting a lot of claims and rumors and possible sightings of strange things out in the mists."

"More than the usual, that is. The mists have always been a tad mysterious, and some folks have gotten sick from them, but now they say the mists are giving people strange powers! Most curious, wouldn't you say? Most curious indeed."

"I think we should at least entertain the possibility that such powers are real. Unlike psychics which everybody knows are obviously fake," Lord Pending scoffs.

"But just because I'm willing to entertain the possibility of something vaguely mystical" -- or mistical as the case might be, but making such a pun out loud was beneath Lord Pending -- "doesn't mean I'm willing to take everything at face value or believe in every claim. We should be methodical about this. We should take inventory of what kinds of powers people have heard about. Perhaps there will be a pattern."

Lord Pending took a long sip of his drink whilst preparing his thoughts.

"So far, there has been evidence of several abilities."

"There is definitely someone out there with the power of killing."

"There is definitely someone out there who's been delivering all these messages."

"There is definitely at least one person who is tougher than a regular person, and a second unverified claim of such abilities."

"There is an unverified but broadly credible claim regarding the ability to protect persons from danger."

"I am sensing a kind of balance present in these powers. Push and pull. Some of them threaten life, others preserve it. Perhaps this balance is somehow a core part of the mists identity. I think the mists would seek to protect those who are in particular danger of dying, and I do not think the mists would bestow the power to defy death on those who weren't in danger of it."

"This is mere speculation, but... It makes you think."

"Did Copper's Bend receive the power of killing, counterbalanced by the spiked receiving the power to survive?"

"Or did the spiked receive the power of killing, counterbalanced by Copper's Bend receiving the power to survive?"

"Food for thought," Lord Pending concluded, biting off a mouthful of toast and chewing annoyingly loudly.

39 minutes ago, DrakeMarshall said:

"Did Copper's Bend receive the power of killing, counterbalanced by the spiked receiving the power to survive?"

"Or did the spiked receive the power of killing, counterbalanced by Copper's Bend receiving the power to survive?"

That was the crux of it, wasn't it?

Which really meant that one way or another, they probably had to flip someone, simply to get more information and peace of mind as to how this was working. There were complications as far as Onon could see when it came to triangulating on the Coinshot which meant the most likely move at this juncture was flipping one of Rem or Sono.

And still, Onon wanted some pressure on Sirta, for Sirta felt like he was making a powerful set of assumptions here. And still Onon did not know what to think about Rilla either.

Onon had come to the awkward conclusion he'd zoned out and sped through Mayor Arwhin's morning announcements. For this reason, he'd mistakenly concluded that Rem'd been shot and Revir stabbed and murdered, having just seen the word 'coin' and making the (in)appropriate assumption. This changed the shape of things significantly: a Spiked assault on Rem was less unexpected than one on Revir.

Though it raised itself a number of questions, which he dutifully scribbled:

• On the assumption Sono was Spiked, why didn't the Spiked simply have Sono self-protect and attack Sono? This might have allayed suspicions about Sono, particularly in light of the announcement there were two Thugs in Copper's Bend.
  • Perhaps the Spiked simply tried to attack Rem, perceiving him as the main driver of pushes on Sono. But if that were true, surely this would also sign Sono's death warrant. Suppose the Spiked didn't know Rem was a Lurcher as well and was self-protecting. They would've assumed that Rem was likely to have died. In that world, when Rem died and was discovered to be a loyal villager, wouldn't suspicion have redoubled on Sono?  I for one had gone down on record suggesting there was at most one Spiked between Rem and Sono, due to how strongly Rem was pushing for Sono. True that we could be led to conclude Rem could be mistaken, I suppose.
  • If the Coinshot were Spiked, why not shoot me or Pending or just anyone actually voting and investigating rather than Revir? Revir was an odd choice: sidelined, and not a primary suspect. Given the mention of a Lurcher and two Thugs, the Coinshot's village credentials would've been in doubt anyway, and they never needed to claim. No real impetus to shoot Revir.
  • Was the attempted murder on Rem a gambit to improve Rem's standing in the eyes of the village?
  • If so, was it really necessary?
  • Still disturbed by Pending's sunset tbh.
11 hours ago, Sart said:

"I'm interested in the speed and strength of your conclusions, Sirta. And if you won't answer, then my accusation will speak for my thoughts on the matter."

12 hours ago, Quirksliver said:

Rem clocked the new person in town. "Welcome to the investigation! You don't need to get too bogged down in what was at the expense of being present."

They then searched their memories for what they knew of Lord Pending. 

"It's no fun if things go on like this. Let's get cracking in earnest."

"Sonoluminescence," Lord Pending beams proudly at having said the name correctly. -Pending

They had started off strongly, in Rem's opinion. He remembered when they broke a many-way tie. "I like that kind of confidence. It's a shame it shriveled up at the end of the Day."

"But in any case, I recommend to the general public of Copper's Bend that if somebody claims to possess special abilities of a similar description to abilities that you yourself have, it is worth speaking up about it. I could be wrong, but somehow, I don't think two loyal villagers receiving the exact same abilities from the mists is very likely. Therefore, if somebody is claiming to have the same abilities that you have, they may be lying."

"Maybe you think that it's risky to speak up under such circumstances, because then you're revealing your abilities to the spiked... But I'd remind you all that the strange abilities bestowed by the mists appear to only be useable a limited number of times. For this reason, I don't think we should rate the value of such abilities as much as we might be tempted to, or say that people with these abilities are significantly more valuable than people without them. Everybody is valuable."

"If you disagree with this assessment, well, feel free to provide your reasoning." -Pending

"I'm not sure this logic holds up. I'm just a cowboy with a gambling addiction, but from my humble perspective, abilities being charge-limited makes them more likely to be duplicated. I wasn't willing to kill/not kill on the basis of a Lurcher role-claim in this context, so I don't see the point in this ask."

Rem sighed. "The crux of Onon's accusation against Pending is what they haven't done. Looking specifically at the second half of the Day, I can see it. You'd expect their (gentlemanly) killer instinct to ramp up, rather than to ramp down, as it did."

"This sounds like a spiked slip to be honest, but that's none of my business," Lord Pending shrugged. "Powerful assumption here that if you die the way it'll happen is by the execution, not murder." - Pending

“Perhaps. But we must remember that we don’t know that he was referring to the vote. He could have been referencing the Spiked kill.” -Dasenk

"And yeah, this was like a burrowsquirrel tap-dancing. I tip my hat to Dasenk though for limiting the suspect pool, rather than seizing on an opportunity to expand it. Unless paired with Onon, I think this is a bold intervention for them to immediately make." Rem pondered whether Pending had been behind the Revir kill, but they'd declined to claim it, so it was a moot point. 

Sono called out to them.

42 minutes ago, Ookla the Resolute said:

"Rem, I don't like how quickly you're voting me. Perhaps maybe I could get you to reconsider?"

"You're right that this is a quick vote. So quick, I had it down a Day ago!" Rem pulled out their trusty die. "But sure, I'm willing to spice things up a little. Sirta, Rilla, Pending, or you? Sirta! You stand accused of being bad luck. I'll justify that later, but I spent all my thoughts on trying to figure out Lord Pending."

edit: Sono

Edited by Ookla the Paradigm

Lord Pending slurped down the last of the brew in his cup and set it down on the porch in front of the inn. He picked up his cane, which hadn't been stolen while he'd been eating. He frowned. He actually kind of missed the thief.

"Gentlepersons, it is Rollovet."

"For those of you not as cultured or as well-traveled as myself, Rollovet is a traditional Terrisian holiday. The timing of Rollovet is very important: it happens at precisely midday. The balance between dawn and dusk is symbolic, you see. It relates to Terrisian mythology," he says sagely.

"I shan't bore you with all the details, but I think we should throw ourselves a little Rollovet celebration. To maintain positive morale and such. All of this doom and gloom and death is bad business, it’s important to create those moments of positivity."

"There are several traditional ways to celebrate Rollovet, but one of the very most classical methods is to suddenly reveal midway through the vote that you've caught a spiked."

"And, well, I’m a traditionalist to the bone,” Lord Pending declared. “So, Sirta." Lord Pending jabbed his cane in the man’s general direction with an accusatory air.

"I’m afraid I have to confess to following you around last night. But I’m glad I did. The mists gave me a power, you see, different from all the other ones we’ve heard about so far. It lets me hear people burning metals. If I listen very closely… It lets me hear if they’re spiked. A suitable ability, for a Lord such as myself. It is a Lord’s duty to have sound judgement, and clearly the mists recognize that.”

“And it turns out…” Lord Pending paused lengthily for dramatic effect before the reveal, “Sirta is a Spiked Coinshot!”

6 hours ago, Ookla the Paradigm said:

Rem clocked the new person in town. "Welcome to the investigation! You don't need to get too bogged down in what was at the expense of being present."

Rilla pushed her glasses up onto her hair, briefly massaging the bridge of her nose. "Fair point. However, the past holds important information too, so I won't abandon my efforts entirely." She gathered up her papers and stepped out into the town square, finding a place to sit against a dying tree where she could keep an ear on things while she continued to read. The cat didn't follow.

"I think that, based on Sono's slip with his role and his later comments on said slip, he's more likely to not be Spiked, though I'm not extremely certain about that. Onon, though, I'm sure he's with the village." And the ghosts like him. "I don't know anyone I'm suspicious of yet. Maybe I'm too focused on finding villagers instead of Spiked. Tell me, is it better to look for friends or enemies?"

Edit:

27 minutes ago, DrakeMarshall said:

“So, Sirta." Lord Pending jabbed his cane in the man’s general direction with an accusatory air.

"I’m afraid I have to confess to following you around last night. But I’m glad I did. The mists gave me a power, you see, different from all the other ones we’ve heard about so far. It lets me hear people burning metals. If I listen very closely… It lets me hear if they’re spiked. A suitable ability, for a Lord such as myself. It is a Lord’s duty to have sound judgement, and clearly the mists recognize that.”

“And it turns out…” Lord Pending paused lengthily for dramatic effect before the reveal, “Sirta is a Spiked Coinshot!”

Rilla's turned towards Lord Pending as he made his claim and accusation, then sat pondering for several moments.

Spoiler

Based on the role, I do think a Seeker is more likely to be a villager, in which case Lord Pending is good and Sirta is Spiked. However, Pending could easily have claimed to be a Seeker while actually being a Spiked of either a different or no role, and in a game with only a certain number of charges, he could also easily claim not to have any more. If he's evil his goal is to kill an innocent, if he's good his goal is to expose a Spiked. I didn't have any read on him before now, so trying to figure this out is going to be... fun. He has seemed a bit flippant about this whole thing, but perhaps that's just how he speaks - I don't know him well enough to say. My instinct is to trust Pending simply because he claimed a role and an action, but that's probably not a very good instinct to have, keep, or often follow.

I also did not previously have a read on Sirta.

I think I'm not going to do anything yet, and go back and read more of the previous day's events to see if I can get a read on Pending or Sirta, because this looks to me like one is good and the other is Spiked. I'm probably going to vote at a later time based on what I find about them.

She sat back against the tree once more, turning to her reading to try to find which of them she could trust.

Edited by Quirksliver

10 minutes ago, DrakeMarshall said:

Rem had the urge to brag that they had an impeccable record recently of figuring out who was evil in the same round that someone else scanned them. But that didn't make sense because Rem only existed in this world. 

"Why'd you have to announce that right after I talked myself into thinking you might be evil?"