Long Game 98: A Tale of Mists and Metals

Araris Valerian

1 hour ago, DrakeMarshall said:

Lord Pending started making a list of different residents of Copper's Bend. He wrote different names in different colors. What the colors meant nobody knows. Maybe he just didn't have enough ink in any one color so he had to use several different colors to finish his list.

Dasenk thought that Onon had a point about Pending and that the so-called lord didn’t need to be so mysterious.

19 minutes ago, Ookla the Resolute said:

"What's the likelihood of a village coinshot?"

"We'll find out tonight," said Onon. He didn't consider it a priority except for what it might say about Pending and Sono. The odds of the Spiked having protection in a world with one of those Coinshots seemed pretty decent; but so too did it improve the odds of village-sided protection.

His view of Rem felt as though it'd gotten worse with what (admittedly, scant) Onon knew about the disposition of Copper's Bend.

1 minute ago, Kasimir said:

"We'll find out tonight," said Onon. He didn't consider it a priority except for what it might say about Pending and Sono. The odds of the Spiked having protection in a world with one of those Coinshots seemed pretty decent; but so too did it improve the odds of village-sided protection.

His view of Rem felt as though it'd gotten worse with what (admittedly, scant) Onon knew about the disposition of Copper's Bend.

"I would shoot Lord Pending if I could. But there's also a chance that the coinshot has similar limitations to me, and has to be fairly more reserved."

24 minutes ago, Ookla the Resolute said:

"I would shoot Lord Pending if I could. But there's also a chance that the coinshot has similar limitations to me, and has to be fairly more reserved."

"I'm interested in why you switched your views on Lord Pending," Onon inquired. "There's some level on which he was the only alternate candidate you could have voted for, given where Rem was, but I don't recall your needing to vote on him either, when there were alternatives."

Onon collected his observations from the day, trying to decide what to leverage into 'conversations' with Kash's spirit.

• Pending [ @DrakeMarshall ] chose not to counter-accuse Sono to save his own life. Onon's own judgement of the situation implied that given Rem's stubbornnness, counter-accusing Sono would've resulted in Sono's death. It was possible that Pending hadn't known that about Rem. Onon didn't know. In general, while Onon's case against Pending had begun with the observation that nothing Pending had done, apart from the excellent point on a Lurcher counterclaim, had merited a village read (bracketing the internal debate about whether Onon was over-or-under-crediting Pending for this), but Pending's sunset counterpush had left Onon feeling more comfortable with Pending among his Spiked candidates. This largely had to do with Pending pointing out as a slip something that should have been patently obvious, especially to someone like Pending, and felt more like an attempt to smear than anything.

• Sirta [ @Sart ] had appeared a few times in the village square, particularly near the contentious sunset, but had seemed content with an accusation of Onon that held no water. Receiving new information seemed to make no difference to Sirta's judgement, which suggested that Sirta's voting was agenda-driven. Onon was interested in whether Sirta's contentment actually obscured a willingness to see Pending or Sono executed, and what that meant for Sirta's own alignment.

• Neither Jorrick [ @JNV ], nor Rilla [ @Quirksliver ] had shown up. While this was expected, this was also disappointing. Onon felt that with the way things had been trending so far, with the two of them absent, on the assumption neither of them were Spiked, Copper's Bend was doomed by the time these two were in the final few villagers left standing.

• Revir [ @TheRavenHasLanded ] had watched events but declined to intervene. Given Revir had professed a positive read of Lord Pending, this was more than mildly strange. There were two lines of argument here: first, that a Spiked Revir should have gladly taken the chance to cause Sono's death, and that second, a Spiked Revir might have paid more attention to how he came across. Fundamentally though, Onon never really liked the taste of inefficiency arguments. On some level, criminal-type behaviour was criminal-type behaviour. Given Lord Pending [ @DrakeMarshall] had voted Revir, Onon wondered if Pending's view of Revir had shifted.

• Based off what Onon knew, the disposition of Copper's Bend made it moderately possible Sono [ @Ookla the Resolute ] was Spiked. That was something he was going to have to work out for himself, he supposed.

• Dasenk's [ @Ookla thePresentParticiple ] switches all over the place could probably be considered borderline opportunistic. But in general, Onon thought the case for Dasenk being a villager was still acceptable for the time being. He didn't recall if Dasenk had been present near sunset.

• Rem [ @Ookla the Paradigm ] felt like he just wasn't not going to enter the investigation unless Sono was dead, which was unfortunate, as it made Onon want to shoot them both and then himself. And probably Pending first. He'd liked Rem's attitude, in general. He just felt it was being pointed in the wrong direction. But as much as one could argue everyone was to blame for the tie, something about Rem's opting for the tie near sunset even knowing the votes were not there drew Onon's attention and suspicion. It was however pretty clear that at most one of Sono and Rem were Spiked, and between the two of them, Onon thought it was maybe Sono. Which re-opened the Pending puzzle all over again...

5 minutes ago, Kasimir said:

Dasenk's [ @Ookla thePresentParticiple ] switches all over the place could probably be considered borderline opportunistic. But in general, Onon thought the case for Dasenk being a villager was still acceptable for the time being. He didn't recall if Dasenk had been present near sunset.

Dasenk had not been present around sunset, they had gone home for a quick nap and missed the last-minute votes.

"I really need to take an isolated look at Pending. I'll grant you that their foray against Onon looked forced, but I didn't feel comfortable switching to that vote. An evil Sono implies an innocent Pending, based on how the votes went, so I was hoping one of they or Revir would take action. Do I believe, after how the dream ended, that Pending didn't know the tie rules?"

Rem shrugged. He wasn't happy with how things had turned out.

"I'm not swayed by the role-related argument for Sono's innocence. I don't think Onon is evil, but they certainly are the person who helped Sono out there."

Although some significant inaction had also been a factor, so Rem was interested in looking at the people who sat on the sidelines. 

Making matters worse, no one had died, so no one's horse was available to be borrowed. 

2 minutes ago, Ookla the Paradigm said:

"I'm not swayed by the role-related argument for Sono's innocence. I don't think Onon is evil, but they certainly are the person who helped Sono out there."

"I'll note that I'm less swayed now - I felt the original basis was more solid than you're willing to give it credit for, but the spirits have informed me there are two Thugs and one Lurcher in Copper's Bend."

Edited by Kasimir

1 hour ago, Kasimir said:

Neither Jorrick [ @JNV ], nor Rilla [ @Quirksliver ] had shown up.

"I've seen Jorrick around the square twice, once in the morning and later. I don't know if you noticed them."

1 hour ago, Kasimir said:

"I'm interested in why you switched your views on Lord Pending," Onon inquired. "There's some level on which he was the only alternate candidate you could have voted for, given where Rem was, but I don't recall your needing to vote on him either, when there were alternatives."

"Earlier on, there was less evidence, and I relied on things that hold no weight now. I felt like out of the options I was presented with, Lord spending would have given us the most amount of information from an execution."

Onon continued to test some things before the ritual. Mayor Arwhin had been asking him questions to do with why Pending's accusation had almost been missed, and neither Pending nor Onon knew why. He hoped no one would be alarmed by the testing process.

Edited:

Onon Khentii

Edited 2:

Revir

Edited by Kasimir

35 minutes ago, Kasimir said:

Onon continued to test some things before the ritual. Mayor Arwhin had been asking him questions to do with why Pending's accusation had almost been missed, and neither Pending nor Onon knew why. He hoped no one would be alarmed by the testing process.

Edited:

Onon Khentii

Edited 2:

Revir

Sono was quite confused at what the man was doing. Voting during the night? And what accusation was he talking about?

13 hours ago, DrakeMarshall said:

Lord Pending started making a list of different residents of Copper's Bend. He wrote different names in different colors. What the colors meant nobody knows. Maybe he just didn't have enough ink in any one color so he had to use several different colors to finish his list.

revir steals the paper. "why am i in yellow?"

Onon scrawled what he could, desperate to get the essentials down while his injured arm still allowed him to. Turned out the accident that had broken his ceremonial peachwood blade - the same one that Jorrick was repairing - had done more damage to the wrist than he'd expected.

You always hedged, while you could. Made plans for the future even if you didn't think you'd be around to see it. That was how plans often worked. Funny thing, Pending's question. As though only a Spiked couldn't conceive of building a future you wouldn't be around to see.

• Tempting to see Sono/Pending as potential S/S due to Pending's reluctance to self-pres on Sono, but arguably was not on the table at that time. Unclear if Rem's move known to Pending. Sono's attempt to clear Pending and willingness to keep vote on Pending at sunset makes that a little less likely. Key word: little. Work with it for now, revise if necessary. Implication that working with Sono/Pending S/V for now. Do not think V/V as likely.
  • With how hard and stubbornly Rem gunning for Sono, at most one Spiked between Rem and Sono. 
  • With at least two known Thugs and one claimed Lurcher, reassess and do not clear Sono on basis of metallic powers. Suggest exe tomorrow if necessary if Rem won't get it out of his system. Feel that Sono is an entire fleet worth of red flags if not for Lurcher claim + circumstances of it. Bracket all of these depending on what the new day brings, e.g. wrt likelihood of Coinshot.
  • Between Rem and Sono, feel Rem generally looks better.
  • Keep pressure on RillaSirta - Jorrick seems on level but need to get better read on first two. Tentatively ok with Sirta but believe non-Spiked Sirta more open toi belief-revision given pertinent information, according to the spirits, hence point of provoking question. Tonally, like Sirta's energy - raring to go, good vibes.
  • Feel Pending's sunset push feels very E - no particular V excitement/energy, which feels more normal for a villager pursuing a perceived slip, just detachment. 
  • Realise this has awkward implications for my thoughts on one S in Sono, Rem, and Sono and Pending not being S/S but that's a problem for tomorrow or painkillers.
  • Dasenk still looks village. Have explained this ad nauseum.
  • Calculating likelihood of Rem/Pending in light of Rem's refusal but feels like a layer of paranoia too deep for now.
  • No strong read on Revir, lean Spiked still, but difficult to see partnered with Sono or Pending. Would probably not put as priority for the moment.
  • Do not strongly believe Sono, Pending, Rem grouping are all villagers with world's worst misunderstanding since Alendi angered the Terris ambassador over a ceremonial toast. As a result, do not feel awful about pressure there even though I would argue purely chasing the noisy ones could very well be a condition of loss for us.
  • Will note on pragmatic level, may be worth flipping Sono one way or another if only to stop the bickering and get connectives off Sono and partial clarity on the first day's events. Spiked will pretty much never touch Sono or Pending now, in my view, and we can't afford to be informational later. Early on is the time to get the lay of the land. 
  • Do not strongly believe it is likely we live in a two Thug one Lurcher world where they are all villagers. Kash shouldn't have died in this world.

3 minutes ago, Kasimir said:

Onon scrawled what he could, desperate to get the essentials down while his injured arm still allowed him to. Turned out the accident that had broken his ceremonial peachwood blade - the same one that Jorrick was repairing - had done more damage to the wrist than he'd expected.

You always hedged, while you could. Made plans for the future even if you didn't think you'd be around to see it. That was how plans often worked. Funny thing, Pending's question. As though only a Spiked couldn't conceive of building a future you wouldn't be around to see.

revir wonders how onon got into an accident.

16 minutes ago, Kasimir said:

Do not strongly believe it is likely we live in a two Thug one Lurcher world where they are all villagers. Kash shouldn't have died in this world.

"And what are you going to do when you die, and I flip village Lurcher? How will we even know who the two thugs are?"

10 hours ago, Kasimir said:

Edited:

Onon Khentii

Edited 2:

Revir

"you vote yourself, then me? whats up wit dat?"

Jorrick poked their head out of their shop, then slowly stepped outside. As nothing catastrophic occurred to force them back within its confines, they began the walk to the square. "I apologize for my absence, everyone. I found myself with little to say and a backlog of woodworking orders." 

They quickly reviewed the minutes of the previous day. Thank goodness for those scribes who so dutifully took the minutes, even notating actions and personal notes. There was the expected flurry of early accusations. A fixation on that fellow with the absurdly long name early on, the reasoning which Jorrick couldn't discern. The only reason they really remembered Sono at all were the useful vote tallies they kept reading out every once in a while. Very helpful. Ah. A claim, Lurcher with a single vial. Tragically useless, then. Their conclusion from the minutes was that any outcome other than the one where both of them lived would have been preferable, and that both of them looked quite unfortunate in the aftermath. However, such behavior was not out of character for Rem. 

"This is a mess. I'm going back to my shop. Everyone is welcome to contact me privately, but I don't have much to say."

16 hours ago, Kasimir said:

Onon collected his observations from the day, trying to decide what to leverage into 'conversations' with Kash's spirit.

• Pending [ @DrakeMarshall ] chose not to counter-accuse Sono to save his own life. Onon's own judgement of the situation implied that given Rem's stubbornnness, counter-accusing Sono would've resulted in Sono's death. It was possible that Pending hadn't known that about Rem. Onon didn't know. In general, while Onon's case against Pending had begun with the observation that nothing Pending had done, apart from the excellent point on a Lurcher counterclaim, had merited a village read (bracketing the internal debate about whether Onon was over-or-under-crediting Pending for this), but Pending's sunset counterpush had left Onon feeling more comfortable with Pending among his Spiked candidates. This largely had to do with Pending pointing out as a slip something that should have been patently obvious, especially to someone like Pending, and felt more like an attempt to smear than anything.

• Sirta [ @Sart ] had appeared a few times in the village square, particularly near the contentious sunset, but had seemed content with an accusation of Onon that held no water. Receiving new information seemed to make no difference to Sirta's judgement, which suggested that Sirta's voting was agenda-driven. Onon was interested in whether Sirta's contentment actually obscured a willingness to see Pending or Sono executed, and what that meant for Sirta's own alignment.

• Neither Jorrick [ @JNV ], nor Rilla [ @Quirksliver ] had shown up. While this was expected, this was also disappointing. Onon felt that with the way things had been trending so far, with the two of them absent, on the assumption neither of them were Spiked, Copper's Bend was doomed by the time these two were in the final few villagers left standing.

• Revir [ @TheRavenHasLanded ] had watched events but declined to intervene. Given Revir had professed a positive read of Lord Pending, this was more than mildly strange. There were two lines of argument here: first, that a Spiked Revir should have gladly taken the chance to cause Sono's death, and that second, a Spiked Revir might have paid more attention to how he came across. Fundamentally though, Onon never really liked the taste of inefficiency arguments. On some level, criminal-type behaviour was criminal-type behaviour. Given Lord Pending [ @DrakeMarshall] had voted Revir, Onon wondered if Pending's view of Revir had shifted.

• Based off what Onon knew, the disposition of Copper's Bend made it moderately possible Sono [ @Ookla the Resolute ] was Spiked. That was something he was going to have to work out for himself, he supposed.

• Dasenk's [ @Ookla thePresentParticiple ] switches all over the place could probably be considered borderline opportunistic. But in general, Onon thought the case for Dasenk being a villager was still acceptable for the time being. He didn't recall if Dasenk had been present near sunset.

• Rem [ @Ookla the Paradigm ] felt like he just wasn't not going to enter the investigation unless Sono was dead, which was unfortunate, as it made Onon want to shoot them both and then himself. And probably Pending first. He'd liked Rem's attitude, in general. He just felt it was being pointed in the wrong direction. But as much as one could argue everyone was to blame for the tie, something about Rem's opting for the tie near sunset even knowing the votes were not there drew Onon's attention and suspicion. It was however pretty clear that at most one of Sono and Rem were Spiked, and between the two of them, Onon thought it was maybe Sono. Which re-opened the Pending puzzle all over again...

"I think you're huffing firemoss but village."

6 hours ago, Ookla of Ravens said:

revir steals the paper. "why am i in yellow?"

"I think you're not village."

3 minutes ago, Ookla of Ravens said:

"so, going from 'i dislike you' to 'i like you' means im spiked? seems kinda suspicious if you ask me."

"Sorry," Lord Pending looked sheepish. "For what it's worth, thinking you're spiked does not preclude liking you."

"But yes, with the timing, and with the fact that you didn't pick a new suspicion afterwords, that's basically correct."

1 minute ago, DrakeMarshall said:

"Sorry," Lord Pending looked sheepish. "For what it's worth, thinking you're spiked does not preclude liking you."

"But yes, with the timing, and with the fact that you didn't pick a new suspicion afterwords, that's basically correct."

"well... true. i- i was going to wait until morning. but i will say it now. Solo, you have been quite... accusatory, and, i see the point behind... culling. to continue the village goals. and some people have already voted you. i may be a thief, but its... different. you can steal someone's shoes, not their life."