Long Game 44: Shadows of Elantris Redux

Herowannabe

Badger. I wasn't paying enough attention to catch that, thank you @randuir. However, now that I've updated myself again (briefly) on the thread (Merciful Domi, you all are talkative), helpfully pointing out my mistake isn't necessarily a soft clear.

8 minutes ago, Amanuensis said:

In retrospect, Eternum's post is really eh but, like, it's his only (real) one so I'm not sure how much can be gleaned from it.

Honestly this post is the one that makes me want to vote for Rand, practically alone. He's the only player that's mentioned pinch-hitters (that I could find in a quick ctrl+f of all pages) and he emphasizes it at a point where Honey Badger is tied for 3 votes with Bort. Then he kicks the lynch in Bort's direction without any real analysis or reasoning. Not a huge fan of "feels off." Whether or not Honey Badger is an elim with Rand, I think his reasoning for advocating he lived is skewed in the direction of an eliminators mindset. If Rand is Evil and HB is Good, then he potentially nets some FeelsGoodMan for letting a Pinch Hitter take over for a villager, while simultaneously helping remove a villager that's been active for a turn already. On the other hand, if HB is Jeskeri with Rand, he gains just as much if not more by making this play as it allows him to preserve an inactive teammate long enough to get replaced.

Compare that to Eternum who discourages the vote on HB because it nets us little information (which is a significantly more viable reason, in my opinion) and I feel less confident in Rand's Citizenship than I do Eternum.

So, Rand.

Aman makes a strong point. Though my word alone is nothing to go off of, especially with how well I've been following the thread, this is quite a strange post. Broken down in such a fashion, it seems quite suspicious. You switched votes in the middle of a post, but in a way that made it seem like an afterthought. Right now, you aren't looking so good. Rand.

Rand, huh? I would really hate to be wrong, partly because he's usually so active and partly because I think the last game I played with him he was lynched C1 and I enjoy playing with him, but I do think Bort is more likely to be village than Rand at this point. Actually, the thing that I think is most suspicious about that post Aman quoted was the bit where Rand leaned village on Kidpen for that opening statement of "I'm an eliminator." Kidpen said they do that at the start of every game, so I was viewing it as completely neutral, and I don't see how it could be used as evidence why Kidpen is village, so it seems like buddying up. Eternum. Randuir.

Edited for Vote tally:

(7) BortElenionEternumAraris ValerianRanduirArinianDevotary of SpontaneityKidpen,

(1) EternumTheYoungPyromancer,

(1) The Honey BadgerMraize

(1) Araris ValerianA Joe in the Bush

(1) StrawStink

(5) randuirAmanuensis, Seonid, Hemalurgic Headshot, little wilson, TheMightyLopen

Edited by TheMightyLopen
removed the double Wilson from HB, thanks Aman

I'm coming from the same place you are. I don't like the idea of lynching a village rand so early but it's a better risk than Bort, and unfortunately both Eternum and rand deal with the issue of later timezones and thus can't defend themselves right now.

Also I forgot to remove Wilson's vote from HB on the previous tally so you'll need to do that to fix it.

@Devotary of Spontaneity and @Kidpen, any chance of you two changing your votes? I see y'all online.

This said I'm about to go to bed. Got work early in the A.M.

I am willing to take my vote off of Bort, but I don't really see an Eternum counter-lynch. He's made two posts so far, one of which noted the exchange between Joe and Kidpen while the other declared his reasons for voting Bort. I don't see his vote on Bort as being indicative of him being evil unless he's on a team with Honey Badger. 

I am more willing to vote for Randuir over Eternum  or Bort. One of the things that's odd is that he changed from suggesting that there was no reason for converts not to claim:

On 4/10/2018 at 5:31 AM, randuir said:

I don't really see why they wouldn't. It doesn't clear them of anything ([Hero], does the Gyorn count as a Shu-Dereth convert?), but it might help with finding the Odiv.

to suggesting that the Cultists would be likely to target players who claimed to be converted.

17 hours ago, randuir said:

the Jeskeri will probably target converted people over non-converted people (if they know who is and isn't converted) with their kill if all else is equal as that increases the time before the Gyorn wins.

However, Araris had pointed out that the Cultists would like to target converts in the time between these two posts, so it's entirely possible that he legitimately changed his mind.

3 hours ago, randuir said:

I haven't seen any discussion about not worrying about Jeskeri. I have seen people discussing ways to counter the Derethi because that's just easier to discuss right now because of the mechanics involved. 

Bort had probably been referring to this post by Joe:

On 4/10/2018 at 4:32 PM, A Joe in the Bush said:

So you have a strategy to find the Jeskeri? I don't. I do have one to hinder the Derethi though. So I will focus on them.

I'm not sure that this necessarily indicates anything about Randuir except that he hadn't intensely scoured the thread, but it could potentially be an attempt to stifle discussion of the Jeskeri. 

Given the way this counter-lynch is going, Randuir will be lynched, especially if Aman is a Prince. With my retraction, the lynch is currently tied at six votes each. I will add my vote to Randuir.

Just for clarity, another updated vote tally:

(6) BortElenionEternumAraris ValerianRanduirArinianKidpen

(7) randuirAmanuensis, Seonid, Hemalurgic Headshot, little wilson, TheMightyLopen, TheYoungPyromancer, Devotary of Spontaneity

(1) StrawStink

No-votes(7): Steeldancer, Straw, King Cole, Honey Badger, Drake Marshall, Bort, Dalinar

Elantrians(3): Cadmium, Droughtbringer, Kynedath

13 minutes ago, Amanuensis said:

I'm coming from the same place you are. I don't like the idea of lynching a village rand so early but it's a better risk than Bort, and unfortunately both Eternum and rand deal with the issue of later timezones and thus can't defend themselves right now.

Also I forgot to remove Wilson's vote from HB on the previous tally so you'll need to do that to fix it.

@Devotary of Spontaneity and @Kidpen, any chance of you two changing your votes? I see y'all online.

This said I'm about to go to bed. Got work early in the A.M.

Ask what b I’m off mobile.

Alright, I can now explain why I suspect Bort.

There were of course all the original reasons, but more than that, Aman's defense of him was so focused on that that it felt forced-and perhaps because he did not want a fellow eliminator to be lynched. This also makes me think Rand is innocent, and Eternum is perhaps elim. It felt like they were deliberately bringing the votes around to anyone else. I don't expect any one to change minds, but I felt like I should give my reasons. I have one more reason for suspecting Aman that I will not share. I understand if this makes people not agree with me or distrust me.

Hm, I thought the cycle ended 80 minutes ago. So Bort is probably village, and presumably Aman can do something to confirm his role. Aman's role doesn't say anything about his alignment, although stepping out to stop a bandwagon is somewhat risky this early in the game.

Claim: Randuir's reasoning of pinch hitters is an elim way of thinking. I'm not sure I buy this. Over the course of the Contribution Crusade we have beaten to death the topic of inactives, and that lynching them doesn't give information. Randuir's post is relevant because not all games have pinch hitters, and that is a further point that doesn't apply universally to all SE games. I personally wouldn't have put enough thought into responding to a vote on an inactive player to mention pinch hitters though.

As for the vote on Bort, I agree that the justification is bad, and this is probably the biggest thing against Rand. However, I don't see too much of a link between HB and Rand. Inactives are rarely lynched D1 (or ever) because of the lack of information we get, as previously mentioned. Thus there isn't really a need to switch the lynch off of HB.

However, the cycle is almost over, and people switching to save Bort makes a lot of sense. I'll have to think some more about this cycle to say anything more, since my reads are pretty neutral (meaning I'm fine with killing pretty much anyone) right now.

@little wilson You say that, but in a cycle or two you'll be saying I'm flying under the radar again :D

TIME!

Bear with me here- I had a meeting tonight and only got back a half hour ago, and both my co-GMs have had busy days as well so I've got a lot to catch up on. I'll have the new cycle up as soon as possible. 

In the meantime, if anyone is around and wanted to help, I'd appreciate an accurate vote tally (at least the ones that are known publicly. ;)) Thanks. 

EDIT: Also, as a reminder, Seon PMs are now closed for the cycle. Once the Night cycle thread is posted anyone with a Seon can use it to start a new PM or continue an old one. 

Edited by Herowannabe

It should be this:

(5) BortElenionEternumRanduirArinianKidpen

(7) randuirAmanuensis, Seonid, Hemalurgic Headshot, little wilson, TheMightyLopen, TheYoungPyromancer, Devotary of Spontaneity

(1) StrawStink

No-votes(7): Steeldancer, Straw, King Cole, Honey Badger, Drake Marshall, Bort, Dalinar

Elantrians(3): Cadmium, Droughtbringer, Kynedath

Edited by Kidpen
fixed number

23 minutes ago, Kidpen said:

It should be this:

(5) BortElenionEternumRanduirArinianKidpen

(1) StrawStink

No-votes(7): Steeldancer, Straw, King Cole, Honey Badger, Drake Marshall, Bort, Dalinar

Elantrians(3): Cadmium, Droughtbringer, Kynedath

Thank you immensely!

EDIT: By the way, you missed @Araris Valerian in your vote tally. Did he vote for anyone?

EDIT2: Looks like he had a vote for Bort that he retracted. Thanks again. 

Edited by Herowannabe

Night 1: Sao

5aceed0b63b8a_ScreenShot2018-04-11at11_21_25PM.png.7cb2b24645877265cc7c2576a886ac76.png

Saoir scrambled to record everything that was happening. As Royal Archivist, it was his job to record and catalogue everything of importance that happened in Kae, and he had been at it all day. It had started with the Patriarch’s murder, of course, but since then things had been all a flurry around the palace. Captain Edao of the Palace guards had tried- and failed- to keep everyone corralled inside the Palace. At least Saoir had been able to record the names of everyone who had been present for the murder before they had departed.

Now they were back to discuss the murder, and Saoir was doing his best to take minutes on the meeting as everyone shouted over one another. Occasionally he would join in, too, adding his own comments and thoughts on the proceedings. Lost in his work, it took him a few minutes to realize that the crowd had turned their attention to him.

“Maybe we should kill the scribe over there instead,” someone muttered, and several heads bobbed in agreement.

Saoir spluttered. “Me!? What real evidence do you have against me?”

“Evidence? Nothing solid, but you’re our best lead. And the timing of your little comments, from the back of the crowd normally, certainly didn’t help. You’re probably a Cultist, Saoir. I’m sorry if you aren’t. But we have to act now.” The crowd moved to surround Saoir, forming fists.

“Please...I know I’m not who you say you are...why are you doing this?”

“Do we have a choice?” a man yelled. “What should we do, stand back as Arelish blood is spilled? We have to do something!”

And with that, the man began punching him, and the rest of the crowd quickly joined in, and Saoir curled into a ball on the palace floor. Kicks ensued, but before it could get too far the palace guard was there, breaking up the brawl.

“Stand back! Everybody back!” Captain Edao roared. “Let the Palace Guard deal with this!” The Palace guards began to drag Saoir's limp body away, but the motion stirred him, and he gasped in a shuddering breath and pulled himself as far up as he could manage.

“Stand back as Arelish blood is spilled,” he croaked humorlessly. “You know, that’s basically what half this crowd did.” He laughed, but the effort seemed to daze him, and he gave a hacking cough. It continued for a moment, then his eyes suddenly watered. Unable to speak more, he remained silent as the guard dragged him off to the gallows.

Saoir (Randuir) was lynched! He was a Citizen who held a Korathi Pendant and knew the secret passphrase.

A Shu-Dereth Pendant was used!

Convert Tally

3 / 25 players are Shu-Dereth converts

Vote Tally:

Saoir (Randuir) (8): Aladdin (The Young Pyromancer), Dio Brando (Amanuensis), Eoni (The Honey Badger), Kainae (Little Wilson), Nigel (TheMightyLopen), Reth Liari (Hemalurgic Headshot), Sheodan (Devotary of Spontaneity), Sheon Idris (Seonid)

Daoate (Bort) (6): Amati (Kidpen), Eilen (Arinian), Enelan (Elenion), Enerin (Eternum), Saoir (Randuir)

Eoni (The Honey Badger) (3): Sahin Arehe (Mraize), Soren Porfiry (Dalinar Kholin)

Elysian (Araris Valerian) (1): Fenot (A Joe in the Bush)

Straw (Straw) (1): Imperial Mint (STINK)

Player List:

EDIT: It's a night phase, not a day phase. Here is the correct countdown timer. Note that we're back to the 7:00PM MST rollover time:

pur_1523581200.png

Edited by Herowannabe
Not a Jeskeri Pendant, a Shu Dereth pendant. My bad.

I should mention that Bort and Badger both had one more vote than voters.

Edit: oh, and just to be clear, citizen means an Arelon, right?

Edit again: Randuir was probably one of those.

Edited by Kidpen

What that good or bad?

@Kidpen Yes

Sahin awoke as the barman poked him. Glasses lined the table. He groaned. Struggling to his feet. The man he was with before was gone. Still groggy he stumbled out. He moved sluggishly. He waves away his guards who attempted to help him. One of the guardsman handed him one of the alertness potions. He drank it down, spilling some on his clothes. Sahin shook his head. "I feel a little better" he walked back to he inn where he lodged. Once there he sat down on his bed. 

Gonna finally do some real RP. My day RP kind of sucked:

Amati arose. He knew that this would be a long night, so he had gotten some rest during the day. As he creeped through the shadows, he spotted that same old alchemist who he spoke to during the day. Farot, I think it was. (I forget who that character was, so whenever they come on they can role play with me). Amati snuck over to the hideaway and whispered.

"I'm in the market for something that could be administered to those you don't like. What options do you have for things like that?"

11 minutes ago, Herowannabe said:

Saoir (Randuir) (8): Aladdin (The Young Pyromancer), Dio Brando (Amanuensis), Eoni (The Honey Badger), Kainae (Little Wilson), Nigel (TheMightyLopen), Reth Liari (Hemalurgic Headshot), Sheodan (Devotary of Spontaneity), Sheon Idris (Seonid)

Daoate (Bort) (6): Amati (Kidpen), Eilen (Arinian), Enelan (Elenion), Enerin (Eternum), Saoir (Randuir)

Eoni (The Honey Badger) (3): Sahin Arehe (Mraize), Soren Porfiry (Dalinar Kholin)

Elysian (Araris Valerian) (1): Fenot (A Joe in the Bush)

Straw (Straw) (1): Imperial Mint (STINK)

Assuming this vote tally is accurate, the Honey Badger and Dalinar votes are almost certainly the result of Princes/Princesses. The extra vote for Honey Badger is either because Mraize is a Monarch or because a player with the passphrase who didn't vote secretly voted on him. The extra vote on Bort must have been for similar reasons.

16 minutes ago, Herowannabe said:

A Jeskeri Pendant was used!

This is good news. Unless someone targeted Randuir, whoever used this pendant now knows the identity of a Cultist. Although, @Herowannabe, I thought the use of a Jeskeri pendant to attack a player was a night-only action. Did I misread the rules, or was this supposed to be a Derethi pendant?

Oh...kay? I went into work when there were like 3 votes on Bort, and when I come back there's been a bandwagon and a counter-bandwagon and Rand has bit the dust C1 yet again, and yet again he's village. Ouch.

Anyway, if the Pendanted player would claim, that would be great, assuming that it was a Derethi Pendant used, since there's no action window for Jeskeri Pendants during the Day.

@Herowannabe  The lynch shows Randuir dying, but the RP is of a mob lynching Aman. Is that intentional?

10 minutes ago, Devotary of Spontaneity said:

This is good news. Unless someone targeted Randuir, whoever used this pendant now knows the identity of a Cultist. Although, @Herowannabe, I thought the use of a Jeskeri pendant to attack a player was a night-only action. Did I misread the rules, or was this supposed to be a Derethi pendant?

I apologize, that was an error on my part. It was a Shu-Dereth Pendant that was used, not a Jeskeri Pendant.