Random Stuff IX: Rogue Admins

Did you check the portuguese translation? Because here in Brazil "Muggles" became "Trouxas", which basically means "Fools", and the houses got some weird yet effective translations that tried to preserve the sonority and feel, even if some of the meaning was lost.

Seriously? That's pretty cool. No, I didn't check Portuguese; I just found an article explaining that the term "Muggle" was the same around the world. 

Wonder if there's some sort of English slang-type word I could adapt. Or if there could be a few more offensive terms, like a corruption of "idiota" or something similar, while words with softer meanings are used more commonly. 

May I steal this? 

....after I find an online translator that will actually translate "Muggle." :ph34r:

Edit: A few minutes on Google brought me to pages of Spanish idioms, which got me thinking how magic isn't clear to Muggles, so they're without clarity, or "sin claridad," according to Google Translate, so the natural shortening would be "sinclar." 

Sinclair. 

Every Muggle in the Southwest is named Sinclair. 

I suck at this. -_-

Steal all you want! :) All I'm using it for is headcanon.

I kinda like Sinclair.  :P

Who wants to hear a story??

So the other day at work, (I work as a "chef" (I use quotations because I technically haven't been trained in the arts of cuisine) for BGEA's headquarters, basically I help feed all the employees with the desk jobs) there was a shipment from Sysco coming in. So I went down to the loading bay with a big six foot by four foot cart, ready to transport all of the edible goodies. I get down to the bay, greet the delivery dude and he proceeds to tell me what's up; namely that they use a numerical system to organize their deliveries, and anything that has a "6" on it is going to be dropped off at BGEA. At this point in time I express my enthusiasm to begin loading things onto my cart, so he points me in one direction and I begin to pick things up and put them down. I don't know what that delivery guy was doing, but it was off on his own somewhere because I didn't see him for the next five minutes. Anyway, I'm over here working my butt off and I've got almost the entire cart filled to the brim with boxes that have six on them.

Suddenly, I feel a tap on my shoulder.

I look up at the delivery guy, who looks kind of concerned. "Check it out," I say, "I've loaded up all these boxes."

He just shakes his head. "Um... yeah those are all nines."

Every single one of those motherfluffing boxes had a nine on it and not a six!!

Every. One!

Favorite defenses of the Ilvermorny houses and North American magic series in general:

"Work of fiction, not a historical document." 

"You lost me when you implied Sasquatches are native to anywhere, because they are native to nowhere, because they are not real." 

"She does not have to tackle their past accurately in any way. It is a work of FICTION -yes i know sorry for the capitalization, but it needs the emphasis- as a work of fiction she can change anything about our real world to fit into her fictional world -kind of the point of fiction-." 

Yes, because it's not like people can draw the wrong conclusions about a place from a poorly crafted piece of fiction or anything. :rolleyes: 

Edited by TwiLyghtSansSparkles

This song never gets old.

I should probably memorise it sometime to pull out at random moments.

In the meantime:

we are ninjas from the dead

We are zombies wielding swords

We are pretty much invisible but we travel in hordes

We are zombies that move fast

We are ninjas from the dead

We are basically gonna eat your head.

Edit:

Note to self: don't watch Shia LeBouf video after binge watching Supernatural. :ph34r:

Edited by Delightful

This song never gets old.

I should probably memorise it sometime to pull out at random moments.

In the meantime:

we are ninjas from the dead

We are zombies wielding swords

We are pretty much invisible but we travel in hordes

We are zombies that move fast

We are ninjas from the dead

We are basically gonna eat your head.

Edit:

Note to self: don't watch Shia LeBouf video after binge watching Supernatural. :ph34r:

What's that song called? 

And I may or may not be able to sing the Shia LaBeouf song from memory. :ph34r:

But this is America, we do stuff differently, why would our school clone Hogwarts 100%? As for the Native American creatures...Isn't that a good thing? I mean, they're creatures native to America. It'd be weird if they Europeanized our animals, and I wouldn't like it.

Maybe the Wizarding community in America integrated with Native American wizards far better than the muggles did.

I've got zero problems with it.

If the creatures are considered very holy, I at least understand how That could be an issue to some people, but otherwise I'm good.

But this is America, we do stuff differently, why would our school clone Hogwarts 100%? As for the Native American creatures...Isn't that a good thing? I mean, they're creatures native to America. It'd be weird if they Europeanized our animals, and I wouldn't like it.

Maybe the Wizarding community in America integrated with Native American wizards far better than the muggles did.

I've got zero problems with it.

If the creatures are considered very holy, I at least understand how That could be an issue to some people, but otherwise I'm good.

Rowling should've done some more research, though, before deciding which creatures to add to her mythos. I mean, yes, writers appropriate elements from Christianity all the time—when was the last time you read a book or saw a show about angels that looked as inhuman as they're described in Ezekiel?—and it can be irritating when done especially poorly (looking at you, Hush, Hush) but Native religions are smaller and less known than Christianity. Adapting elements from those religions makes it easier for outsiders to misconstrue those religions into something they're not, and with America's history of persecuting Native religions, that's a big problem. 

And it's not just the Native American stuff she didn't research. She mentions a "Great Sasquatch Rebellion," when according to Northwest urban legends, Sasquatches are generally peaceful creatures. Louisiana has a creature called a loogaroo, and she called it a "roogaroo" in her series. More than that, though, it's clear she didn't pick up on the sense of mystery American urban legends have. Are Sasquatches real? Some people say so. What are the Black-Eyed Kids? Nobody knows. What about Mothman, the Jersey Devil, and El Sombreron? You've got me, but I know they're dangerous and you should stay the heck away. Mystery and the unexplainable are common threads in American urban legends, and when she explained them the same way she explained British magical creatures, she removed a good deal of the draw, in my opinion. 

Rowling should've done some more research, though, before deciding which creatures to add to her mythos. I mean, yes, writers appropriate elements from Christianity all the time—when was the last time you read a book or saw a show about angels that looked as inhuman as they're described in Ezekiel?—and it can be irritating when done especially poorly (looking at you, Hush, Hush) but Native religions are smaller and less known than Christianity. Adapting elements from those religions makes it easier for outsiders to misconstrue those religions into something they're not, and with America's history of persecuting Native religions, that's a big problem.

And it's not just the Native American stuff she didn't research. She mentions a "Great Sasquatch Rebellion," when according to Northwest urban legends, Sasquatches are generally peaceful creatures. Louisiana has a creature called a loogaroo, and she called it a "roogaroo" in her series. More than that, though, it's clear she didn't pick up on the sense of mystery American urban legends have. Are Sasquatches real? Some people say so. What are the Black-Eyed Kids? Nobody knows. What about Mothman, the Jersey Devil, and El Sombreron? You've got me, but I know they're dangerous and you should stay the heck away. Mystery and the unexplainable are common threads in American urban legends, and when she explained them the same way she explained British magical creatures, she removed a good deal of the draw, in my opinion.

Ehhh, I still disagree. And I don't think we know enough about what she's studied to be deciding if she's researched enough or not. If she felt like the real world mythology wouldn't be quite appropriate to her story then she may as well write her creature's backgrounds differently. Nobody throws a fit when Krampus is a weird adaption of its origins, and rarely do people care about how badly western entertainment reshapes Asian mythology for its stories. I don't see how it's different.

Yeah I'd be careful about speaking on behalf of the cultures represented here. In that same article there are a few native americans who comment and say they have no problem with the names. Same thing with sports teams like the Redskins and the Indians. I personally know some guys from the Reservation nearby who laugh at all the white people worrying about offending them with those names. They don't really take it seriously.

Ehhh, I still disagree. And I don't think we know enough about what she's studied to be deciding if she's researched enough or not. If she felt like the real world mythology wouldn't be quite appropriate to her story then she may as well write her creature's backgrounds differently. Nobody throws a fit when Krampus is a weird adaption of its origins, and rarely do people care about how badly western entertainment reshapes Asian mythology for its stories. I don't see how it's different.

There are other things that indicate maybe she didn't research things fully.  Like details that suggest she doesn't realize that Washington DC and Washington state are on complete opposite sides of the country.

Wait! He isn't dead! 

Shia surprise! 

There's a gun to your head!

And death in his eyes! 

​But you can do jiu jitsu….

Bodyslam superstar Shia LaBeouf! 

Sorry Twi, I mistakenly down-voted this, can people fix this for me?

hqdefault.jpg