Random Stuff IX: Rogue Admins

Yeah I'd be careful about speaking on behalf of the cultures represented here. In that same article there are a few native americans who comment and say they have no problem with the names. Same thing with sports teams like the Redskins and the Indians. I personally know some guys from the Reservation nearby who laugh at all the white people worrying about offending them with those names. They don't really take it seriously.

Of course, in the case of the football teams, there are plenty of Native Americans on record saying they find the names/mascots offensive. Knowing some that so do not does not mean all or even a majority do not.

But you still raise a good point: do we have actual statements from the effected tribes that take umbrage with the school names?

There are other things that indicate maybe she didn't research things fully.  Like details that suggest she doesn't realize that Washington DC and Washington state are on complete opposite sides of the country.

That's crazy to have a state named exactly as the capital city if the city is not in the state... But, what to expect from people using Imperial system and strange date formats :P

Anyway, I don't have any problems with what she made about this American school. I haven't heard about any of those urban legends or mythical creatures except for Sasquatch and Chupacabra, so I can't spot any inconsistencies.

I've read wikipedia article about those Black-Eyed Kids... that's creepy, just creepy :P

That's crazy to have a state named exactly as the capital city if the city is not in the state... But, what to expect from people using Imperial system and strange date formats :P

Random historical tidbit, AKA irony in motion:

Washington the state was originally going to be named Columbia after the Columbia river. However, they decided not to because they thought it would get mixed up with the District of Columbia. Guess what we call that now?

Washington, D.C.

Thats why everyone from Washington calls the country's capital D.C. :P

Of course, in the case of the football teams, there are plenty of Native Americans on record saying they find the names/mascots offensive. Knowing some that so do not does not mean all or even a majority do not.

But you still raise a good point: do we have actual statements from the effected tribes that take umbrage with the school names?

Right that's my point. Until the people "effected" by these names object on racial grounds, I won't.

That being said, the names sound pretty silly. ^_^

So, serious question: What do you guys think of the terms "sin clar" and "con clar" as regional slang for a Muggle and a Muggleborn, respectively? Both involve a corruption of the Spanish "claridad," or "clarity," which I thought would fit in the West and Southwest. They're by no means final; I'm posting them here for honest opinions. If the consensus is that they're dumb, lame, or otherwise no good, I'll take a different tack. 

And yes, I know that "sin clar" sounds an awful lot like the name Sinclair. :P 

So, serious question: What do you guys think of the terms "sin clar" and "con clar" as regional slang for a Muggle and a Muggleborn, respectively? Both involve a corruption of the Spanish "claridad," or "clarity," which I thought would fit in the West and Southwest. They're by no means final; I'm posting them here for honest opinions. If the consensus is that they're dumb, lame, or otherwise no good, I'll take a different tack.

And yes, I know that "sin clar" sounds an awful lot like the name Sinclair. :P

I'm from the Midwest, and I agree with Joe. Those might be the proper words, but I would shorten them when I used them in real life.

Which region? The northwest (where I am) would undoubtably shorten and slur those. They wouldn't say the whole thing. It does seem to fit southern California though.

Texas, mostly, as well as Arizona and New Mexico. And I thought two syllables was already pretty short, though I can see it being shortened to "sink." :mellow: 

I'm from the Midwest, and I agree with Joe. Those might be the proper words, but I would shorten them when I used them in real life.

I was going to use different slang in the Northwest and Midwest. I hadn't worked all of it out yet, but I was looking at 1960s slang to adapt for California through Washington. One slightly more insulting term I was toying with was "dip," short for "dip stick," aka a dummy. 

Like I said, I'm still working all of this out, so any suggestions would be appreciated. 

I would say a big issue is that it is purely Spanish, with no Anglo corruption there. It may fly in Mexico, but we're talking about an area whose idea of a taco is wildly different from one who has a more Hispanic background.

So, for example, the word for truck in that region would just as often be trucko instead of the proper Spanish camioneta.

I would say a big issue is that it is purely Spanish, with no Anglo corruption there. It may fly in Mexico, but we're talking about an area whose idea of a taco is wildly different from one who has a more Hispanic background.

So, for example, the word for truck in that region would just as often be trucko instead of the proper Spanish camioneta.

Fine. I'll use just English then.

Fine. I'll use just English then.

Just remember, I'm no expert on linguistics like that guy who wrote A Clockwork Orange, so you can take what I say with some salt (depending on your blood pressure ;))

Also, if you come up with something interesting/fun, you could always justify throwing it out the window... Like a student named Sinclair being constantly made fun of because it would be like a wizard named Muggle...

Yay, Mrs. Voidus and I got the house we wanted!
No, this is of course the week that my pay didn't go through properly.
Yay, we at least have enough to cover the bond so we still get it.
No, they only want us to have it with two weeks overlap so we have to pay rent at two houses when we're already broke.

My head hurts.

Twi, is that the creature that's spelt Loup Garou? (accents grammar where applicable) as I only know of it through Supernatural and the book/movie Blood and Chocolate IIRC. Cause Dean says it the same as Rowling I believe. (It has been a while since I've seen it)

I have a bizarre urge to cross dress and sing I want to break free... Is this weird?

Freddie Mercury is a legend, so nope, not weird in the slightest. It's not weird to dress up as Dr Frankenfurter when seeing The Rocky Horror Show, or to do the Time Warp either, Edited by ParadoxSpren

Yay, Mrs. Voidus and I got the house we wanted!

No, this is of course the week that my pay didn't go through properly.

Yay, we at least have enough to cover the bond so we still get it.

No, they only want us to have it with two weeks overlap so we have to pay rent at two houses when we're already broke.

My head hurts.

Get me and a couple other Sharders to Australia. We'll take care of this. :ph34r:

Twi, is that the creature that's spelt Loup Garou? (accents grammar where applicable) as I only know of it through Supernatural and the book/movie Blood and Chocolate IIRC. Cause Dean says it the same as Rowling I believe. (It has been a while since I've seen it)

Haven't seen Supernatural, but from the sources I've seen, a loogaroo and a Loup Garou are distinct. I haven't done a lot of research, and ordinarily I'd be okay with combining them (I might even appreciate the twist on the mythology) but "roogaroo" makes me think of this, for some reason: 

Roo-disney-kids-25728559-245-427.gif

Winnie the Pooh = not a good association for a scary magical creature, IMO.

Freddie Mercury is a legend, so nope, not weird in the slightest. It's not weird to dress up as Dr Frankenfurter when seeing The Rocky Horror Show, or to do the Time Warp either,

This is literally all I know about Freddie Mercury:

636x460design_01.jpg

Edited by The Honor Spren