Random Stuff IX: Rogue Admins

It is fun to pronounce, but way to silly to be the name of a house. It just sounds like she's not taking it very seriously at all

YES. THIS. She has such an amused tone throughout the entire series on North America, whereas she seems to take the history of British and European magic in general more seriously. I hadn't put my finger on what was bothering me until you said it. 

Uuuuuggghhhhhhh....

ROWLING.

STAHP.

STAHP EVERYTHING.

Twi. Twi.

You do not understand her vision. Understandably so, because this is one of those American-British culture divides.

The article is incorrect in identifying Thunderbird House as native American.

It's clearly named after Gerry Anderson's seminal marionette show, Thunderbirds.

Obviously, Rowling is taking the brave choice of canonising the Harry Potter Puppet Pals series. That's why there's such a comedic tone pervading everything.

Edited by Quiver

Twi. Twi.

You do not understand her vision. Understandably so, because this is one of those American-British culture divides.

The article is incorrect in identifying Thunderbird House as native American.

It's clearly named after Gerry Anderson's seminal marionette show, Thunderbirds.

Obviously, Rowling is taking the brave choice of canonising the Harry Potter Puppet Pals series. That's why there's such a comedic tone pervading everything.

Then why, why oh why oh why, did she not name one of the houses "Wizard Angst" and another one "Ron's Amazing High-Pitched Voice"? 

Because if she's canonizing Potter's Puppet Pals, refusing to memorialize those two landmark achievements is nothing short of a travesty. 

Uuuuuggghhhhhhh....

ROWLING.

STAHP.

STAHP EVERYTHING.

Dear sweet baby Heru, that's awful.

Though for once, the comments are pure gold.

"They should have gone with

-Copperfield

-Barnum

-Houdini

-Blaine (the evil Slytherin equivalent)"

"I would beg the Sorting Hat to put me in Tellerpenn"

Dear sweet baby Heru, that's awful.

Though for once, the comments are pure gold.

"They should have gone with

-Copperfield

-Barnum

-Houdini

-Blaine (the evil Slytherin equivalent)"

"I would beg the Sorting Hat to put me in Tellerpenn"

In fairness, is there anyone who wouldn't want to be in Tellerpenn? 

....okay, Twimom wouldn't, because of their stance on vaccines. But other than that....

In fairness, is there anyone who wouldn't want to be in Tellerpenn? 

....okay, Twimom wouldn't, because of their stance on vaccines. But other than that....

Twimom clearly has a problem with people who are smarter than she is.

But... That's, like, almost everybody!

I call this piece Perfection in Two Posts.

Well.  I wasn't gonna be the one to say it outright, but...

(Perhaps Certain People are correct.  Perhaps I am too polite.)

I was so disappointed in Rowling's interpretation of American wizarding history and stuff that I came up with my own. It's certainly not super quality, but I kinda like it. :P

One of my biggest problems with it all is no-maj. No one would say that. It's an absolute abomination to pronounce, especially in plural. It would blur into 'nome' or something. Besides, the US is such a large country that I doubt there'd be one term, and because the nation is such a melting pot, I think the American wizards would mostly use words from various other places and languages. Near Mexico they'd probably use the Spanish term, on the East Coast they might use the British term- they'd probably use the German word in most places, seeing as a very large number of Americans have German ancestry.

I was so disappointed in Rowling's interpretation of American wizarding history and stuff that I came up with my own. It's certainly not super quality, but I kinda like it. :P

One of my biggest problems with it all is no-maj. No one would say that. It's an absolute abomination to pronounce, especially in plural. It would blur into 'nome' or something. Besides, the US is such a large country that I doubt there'd be one term, and because the nation is such a melting pot, I think the American wizards would mostly use words from various other places and languages. Near Mexico they'd probably use the Spanish term, on the East Coast they might use the British term- they'd probably use the German word in most places, seeing as a very large number of Americans have German ancestry.

May I steal this? 

....after I find an online translator that will actually translate "Muggle." :ph34r:

Edit: A few minutes on Google brought me to pages of Spanish idioms, which got me thinking how magic isn't clear to Muggles, so they're without clarity, or "sin claridad," according to Google Translate, so the natural shortening would be "sinclar." 

Sinclair. 

Every Muggle in the Southwest is named Sinclair. 

I suck at this. -_-

Edited by TwiLyghtSansSparkles

Maybe check official translations of the books?

That might work, but I don't think they translate "Muggle." Just like they wouldn't translate the names of the four Houses. I could be wrong, so I'll check, but that might be another dead end.

Edit: Yep. Muggle is Muggle around the world, except in France, where it's translated "moldu." 

Hurm....Rowling claims to have invented it based on the slang term "mug," meaning someone who is easily fooled, wonder if something based on similar words would work....

Edited by TwiLyghtSansSparkles

That might work, but I don't think they translate "Muggle." Just like they wouldn't translate the names of the four Houses. I could be wrong, so I'll check, but that might be another dead end.

Edit: Yep. Muggle is Muggle around the world, except in France, where it's translated "moldu."

Did you check the portuguese translation? Because here in Brazil "Muggles" became "Trouxas", which basically means "Fools", and the houses got some weird yet effective translations that tried to preserve the sonority and feel, even if some of the meaning was lost.

Tom Riddle's full name also changed slightly in order to make the anagram twist in book two make sense.

Edited by DreamEternal