Sanderson Elimination: Questions & Answers and Game Meta Discussion

Metacognition

No one wants to opine on my LoTR game plan?  I guess it's either already good enough it doesn't need to be improved, or it's so boring no one feels like commenting. :P

@Wyrmhero @randuir @_Stick_ @TheMightyLopen & @Fifth Scholar, your passes are still up for grabs.  Any of you want to approve my crazy poisoning delayed kill game of death?

4 hours ago, Jondesu said:

No one wants to opine on my LoTR game plan?  I guess it's either already good enough it doesn't need to be improved, or it's so boring no one feels like commenting. :P

@Wyrmhero @randuir @_Stick_ @TheMightyLopen & @Fifth Scholar, your passes are still up for grabs.  Any of you want to approve my crazy poisoning delayed kill game of death?

@Herowannabe came with a concept a while back that Is aid would get my pass if he could bring a more fleshed out rule-set, so I'm still waiting to see if he gets back to that.

Perhaps this isn't the best place to put it, but I felt like it should be said somewhere.

I survived MR29, putting an end to my 15 game long deathstreak. The Dodo Award is up for grabs now. :) 

(Technically, if you don't count broken games like LG15a or LG21, this is the first game I've ever survived, so my deathstreak is really 22 games long. But some people would say counting that way is cheating.)

So, I know I'm not the only one who seems to be a bit confused by all of these abbreviations and acronyms flying round the SE boards, so I'm starting this thread in the hopes that someone will come and explain them.

Some I already know...

IKYK - I know you know - A pointless, circular argument in which either side could be right, and there just isn't enough information to decide either way.

Tunneling - Concentrating most, if not all, of your attention/votes onto one person.

Pocketing - Taking deliberate tactics to distance yourself from another player.

Then there are others, which I have no idea about, like the one about wolves? If anyone can explain all of these terms/phrases used, please do so.

Can I also recommend we sticky this, so new players have somewhere handy to look up stuff?

43 minutes ago, Bort said:

Then there are others, which I have no idea about, like the one about wolves? If anyone can explain all of these terms/phrases used, please do so.

I'm not sure what you mean about wolves - would you elaborate? 

We already have a glossary here though :P

So we do.

As for the wolf thingy, it was used fairly recently - I want to say it is "too wolfy to be a wolf," or something like that. Beyond that, I have no idea what it means, which is why I am asking.

The one about wolves would probably be TWTBAW (too wolfy to be a wolf), which is really just something I picked up from the championship, and not something generally being used here. It means that someones behavior is so incredibly obviously wolfy(wolf=elim) that they can't really be an elim, as an elim would avoid being so obvious.

Edited by randuir

Bussing: Throwing a teammate under the bus.  Usually refers to an Elim voting on another Elim in order to help clear themselves, often because their teammate was already going to be lynched anyway.

WGG: Wounded Gazelle Gambit. An Elim team will attack one of their own members, or sometimes arrange an attack another way, but also have them protected.  Anyone attacked by the Elims is usually presumed good, but by having them protected, they become a trusted living player.

There's more, but those are the first two that come to mind.  You could edit these into your first post, btw, and start developing a nice list for others without them having to scroll through the thread as it builds up.

As Stick already said, an SE Lexicon already exists in the main rules, and while it could certainly be updated if we feel that it’s missing a few words or phrases, I’m not sure we need a separate thread for a glossary that’s already mostly covered there. Many of the terms others have been bringing up (WGG, bussing, IKYK, tunneling) are already listed there in detail, so I don’t think they need to be rehashed. Perhaps keep this thread open as a suggestion for terms that could be added, and then close it, or just merge this with the Q&A/Meta thread? 

The one point this does bring up is that even though we may have a resource, such as the Lexicon list, it’s not always easily accessible. Even if you had read through the rules thread a few times, you could certainly be forgiven for forgetting the Lexicon list is in there (and in fact I had mostly forgotten about it until Stick brought it up). I’m wondering if there should be some sort of archive or resource hub where this and similar resources could be easily accessed, though the Rules thread does a fairly good job of containing pretty much everything vitally important.  @little wilson @Seonid @Alvron @Orlok Tsubodai You four have the most say when it comes to something like this. What are your opinions? Should there be a “community resources” location specifically for things like the Lexicon list and links to the GM and SE stat spreadsheets, or is that too narrow a category to merit a new thread? The issue here doesn’t seem to be the lack of resources, merely that they’re sometimes hard to find and/or access. 

1 hour ago, Bort said:

So, it's basically just a more specialized version of IKYK then.

Kinda, but not quite. IKYK indicates that you're really not sure, but if you're invoking TWTBAW, you're indicating that you actually believe that the person in question is not an elim (or that at least the elim-looking behaviour you pointed out as TWTBAW is NAI).

On 6/17/2018 at 9:39 AM, randuir said:

@Herowannabe came with a concept a while back that Is aid would get my pass if he could bring a more fleshed out rule-set, so I'm still waiting to see if he gets back to that.

Yeah that concept is probably never going to go anywhere. Don’t hang on to any passes for my sake. 

In my admittedly irrelevant opinion, I think that Meta's SE lexicon is really nice and much more complete than this one, but kind of out of place in the rules thread.

I suggest merging the two, and pinning it as a seperate and locked thread.

Edited by Drake Marshall
A spelling error? INCONCEIVABLE!

10 minutes ago, Drake Marshall said:

In my admittedly irrelevant opinion, I think that Meta's SE lexicon is really nice and much more complete than this one, but kind of out of place in the rules thread.

I suggest merging the two, and pinning it as a seperate and locked thread.

I agree with this idea.

• 2 weeks later...