Sanderson Elimination: Questions & Answers and Game Meta Discussion

Metacognition

With both the AG4 thread being locked, and the General Rules and Etiquette thread being locked, I thought it worthwhile posting something here to enable discussion on the anonymous games mechanic. I've copied in the general anonymous rules from the rules thread in order to facilitate discussion, but would be interested in players' thoughts on the topic, and on whether anyone has spotted any oversight that we've made with the rules. I've personally been looking forward to the introduction of anonymous accounts to the forum for a long while, and very much hope that they're enjoyed!

Anonymous Games and Accounts

Anonymous Games

Anonymous Games will be played once each quarter. In order to sign up to run an anonymous game, you must have either GMd 4 games, or have played 15 games. This restriction exists given the significant additional complexity of, and risk of conflict in, running anonymous games, ensuring that those who run them have the experience to avoid any issues.To run an anonymous game, you must be at the top of both the anonymous waitlist, and in the top five of a waitlist of another format. Anonymous Games are not a format of their own but act as a modifier to games of a differing format.

Anonymous Accounts

There are a number of rules associated with the use of an Anonymous Account. Please follow them carefully. Given the potential for abuse of Anonymous Accounts, any rule breaking using the accounts will be dealt with harshly.

1) Do not change the password of the anonymous account you are issued. The IM and the GMs will have access to all anonymous accounts for the duration of the game being played.
2) Do not use the anonymous accounts to PM any non-anonymous account, other than the accounts of the GMs or the IM. Please do not use your normal accounts to PM anonymous accounts.
3) Do not tell any other player or individual associated with SE, whether you are playing or not playing the Anonymous Game. Player identities will be revealed after the game, not on the death of their avatar. Players must not reveal their own identity after their death, until the end of the game, including in the dead/spec doc. Part of the attraction of anonymous games is keeping identities obscured, and we'd like to eliminate any chance of information becoming known that undermines the integrity of the anonymity.
4) Do not change anything cosmetic about the accounts, including their member title, username, signature, and avatar.
5) Anonymous accounts have been restricted from posting outside the Roleplaying subforum, but must not be used to post in any thread other than the thread of the game they are currently being used in.

One thing I'm excited for about these anonymous accounts is the way it opens up new and interesting mechanics, like the possibility of bodysnatching kandra where the kandra player actually takes over the new account.

For a game that wanted to leverage that sort of aspect, for which the anonymity was a sideshow rather than the main attraction, I could see making signups public and letting players talk about whether they're in the game or not

Edited by Seonid

1 hour ago, Seonid said:

One thing I'm excited for about these anonymous accounts is the way it opens up new and interesting mechanics, like the possibility of bodysnatching kandra where the kandra player actually takes over the new account.

This! I’ve wanted to try something like this since as early as LG2. :)

The thing I love most about the anonymous accounts is there is no prejudices based on past games or whether or not the player is new. Players who have earned a fierceom reputation and players who are playing their first game are all on the same footing. That’s really cool. 

2 hours ago, Darkness_ said:

I will be :) 

I am so excited for this.

As Orlok said:

12 hours ago, Orlok Tsubodai said:

3) Do not tell any other player or individual associated with SE, whether you are playing or not playing the Anonymous Game. Player identities will be revealed after the game, not on the death of their avatar. Players must not reveal their own identity after their death, until the end of the game, including in the dead/spec doc. Part of the attraction of anonymous games is keeping identities obscured, and we'd like to eliminate any chance of information becoming known that undermines the integrity of the anonymity.

• 1 month later...
45 minutes ago, Vissy said:

What is QF30 and how does one join these things

There are three types of games that are being run, Long Games(LG), Mid-Range(MR) and Quick Fix(QF), which indicate the length and involvement expected from each type of games. LG's are run consecutively, while MR's and QF's are run parallel tot hat but staggered (so at any one time there should be an LG, and either a QF or an MR going on).

The games themselves are a forum version of the game known either as Mafia or werewolf depending on where you're from. If you're not familiar with either of those, I suggest reading through a previous game. AG4 is a recent example of a fairly standard game, with the exception of the use of anonymous accounts.

Signups open about a week before a game is scheduled to start. You missed the closing of signups for QF30 by a couple of hours, and I'm not 100% sure when the signup for the next game will start, but QF30 will probably take about 2 weeks to complete, while the LG currently running will probably take around the same amount of time, or a bit longer.

Edit: also, this post gives the general rules and stuff.

Edited by randuir

1 hour ago, Vissy said:

What is QF30 and how does one join these things

To join you wait until singups are up for a game (I can send you a PM when the next one goes up, as I tend to spend too much time in the subforum), and you simply say "I am signing up" and give a character if you would like to RP at all during the game, but you don't have to (in most games)

Rand did a great job of explaining pretty much everything else, so...

Welcome to SE!

Also, if you want to spectate a game that's currently running, LG42's got a somewhat active spectator doc that I'm sure one of the GM's would be happy to give you a link to.  It's already started, though, so maybe QF30 is a better option?  It's only got a couple spectators in it RN, as far as I know, but it's an easier game to follow if you want to just watch it happen, plus, it's just started a day or two ago.  LG42 is a bit complicated. :P  Anyway, basically if you want to join a spec doc, just PM the GM of the game and they should be able to get you a link.  I can't think of a reason why you couldn't join both, tbh.

Also, I heartily agree that you should read an old game.  AG4 isn't a bad option, either.

And welcome to SE! :P  We'd be quite happy to see you die horribly join us in the future!

Signups for LG43 will indeed go up during the first week of March. Which, of course, means that I need to get it approved. And, therefore, to get it finished :P

But it will definitely be a shard game. Which are wild and crazy and amazing.

11 minutes ago, Steeldancer said:

You've got to be kidding me, Seonid. Here I was, planning to take a break from SE for a bit, and you have to run the shard game? Which I'm obliged to play because I already have RP set up for it? Gaahh

I know how you feel.  I'm taking a break from SE for a couple of months yet I have several characters voicing their displeasement that I won't be using them for a Shard game.  And they can be very vocal.

3 hours ago, Steeldancer said:

You've got to be kidding me, Seonid. Here I was, planning to take a break from SE for a bit, and you have to run the shard game? Which I'm obliged to play because I already have RP set up for it? Gaahh

2 hours ago, Alvron said:

I know how you feel.  I'm taking a break from SE for a couple of months yet I have several characters voicing their displeasement that I won't be using them for a Shard game.  And they can be very vocal.

To be fair, my LG has been stated to be the shard game for months now...

2 hours ago, A Joe in the Bush said:

A little less sanity never hurt anyone that i like.

But in actuality, i do have a character, and i'm sure Seonid would let you RP with us. =P

Not all my characters are insane.  I mean there's .... um .... hold on .... I'm sure I've got one .... somewhere .... do dead or one timers count?

But how can I RP if I'm not on the Shard?  When I say I'm taking a break, I mean I won't be logging in until I'm back.

37 minutes ago, Seonid said:

To be fair, my LG has been stated to be the shard game for months now...

Indeed it has but sadly life and other stuff has made it so I need a break regardless of what's being run.

8 hours ago, Alvron said:

Not all my characters are insane.  I mean there's .... um .... hold on .... I'm sure I've got one .... somewhere .... do dead or one timers count?

But how can I RP if I'm not on the Shard?  When I say I'm taking a break, I mean I won't be logging in until I'm back.

Indeed it has but sadly life and other stuff has made it so I need a break regardless of what's being run.

You know Alvron, there's this RP discord server that needs some life breathed into it...

13 hours ago, Alvron said:

:'( This makes me sad but I do understand as I know I spend too much time on here for real life productivity sometimes... and stay up until midnight on a workday for a rollover... yeah I'm dumb.

Also I'm not sure if this is the right place to post it but I have had an idea forming in my head that I thought might help grow/strengthen the community a bit where would I share the idea?

Ok so my idea is this. I have learned a ton already from various people and just playing, I have learned some things from Orlok, Kas, Alvron, and others (others please dont kill me). But I have learned through observation or asking very specific questions abotu why they do something. I think there is a way to make it so that we could help develop the meta, get new people involved and have fun at the same time.

And that way is through mentor Games! You pair newer or brand new players with a single mentor, this mentor would only have the one person they were with and would not be in charge of modding the game in any way either because we want the trainee to learn how to recognize patterns, or logic fallacies, or one of the other aspects of the game. The pair would communicate through either a doc or PM's (or maybe even discord) and analyze posts and such. I could see this working really well with anonymous accounts as a two person team with hopefully the mentor not just taking over, Or just a sort of mentor pokemon battle where they give advice and teach but leave the actual playing to the trainees.

I know I would personally enjoy this because I see how people talk about Wilson never being tricked in docs, I have observed Orlok dissect things into tiny little pieces.   And I have heard stories about players I have never heard of except just in passing in the AG game.

I know this would not be an easy suggestion and it could be controversial based on the mentor/mentee pairings and I certainly don't know all that it would take to make this work, but I do know it would be fun :D