Alleyverse Characters

Archer

OP character approval  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Should Legend (Page 89) be approved?

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

32 minutes ago, BooksBeforeDeath said:

I updated my RP character, and added a physical features section, which you can see in my sig. Also, my name isn't on the list of RP characters.

*checks* Huh. That's true. 

*checks again* GASP! The bio has appeared! It's a Christmas miracle!

I've added the character to the Era Two list. When we transition to E3, remind me to talk to you about lowering their age, but they're good for this Era. Sorry for the mix up, I'd thought they were only going to be introduced in E2. 

Not that I particularly have the time to actually write this.

But I had an idea for a character that might fit in as part of this RP, while I was taking my dog for a walk.

Spoiler

Name: Quill

Appearance

History: Born to a family of hemalurgic practitioners among the alleyvillage, but then left for dead on First of the Sun at a relatively young age, in the wake of a somewhat disastrous expedition. Among his few remaining possessions were texts on the science of hemalurgy, which he studied for many years while isolated and surviving on the Pantheon Isles. Refers to himself as a hemalurgic ecologist. Clawed himself back from exile, escaping into the cognitive realm through Patji's eye and ultimately returning to the alleys.

Family: Unknown/Deceased

Strengths

• Aviar- Bonded to an Aviar. Masks him from mind detecting predators, and mitigates the inherent weaknesses of hemalurgy.
  • Enhanced Senses- Has hemalurgically modified his own body to expand his senses and gain the mind detection utilized by most predators on First of the Sun.
  • Hemalurgic Beasts- Owns a handful of (mostly) tame hemalurgically mutated creatures native to First of the Sun.
  • Survival- Even when cheating with hemalurgy, you have very good survival skills to subsist for years on the Pantheon Isles.

Weaknesses

• Mental Influence- Take his aviar out of comission and he becomes as vulnerable to outside influence as any extensively hemalurgic being.
  • Weak Points- For both Quill and his minions, ripping out a spike causes massive physical and spiritual damage.
  • Non-Magical- First of the Sun lacks any real magic systems to steal, so Quill's hemalurgy only steals non-magical attributes.
  • Combat- Quill himself is neither trained nor competent as a fighter. Virtually all offensive potential lies in his hemalurgic creations, none of which would individually pose a significant threat to a typical alleyverse character.
  • Inexperience- Quill has known of the cosmere since birth, but has very little exposure to it. Among other things, he is liable to be unfamiliar with most magic systems.

Outlook/Personality

• With primary exposure to hemalurgy and the Pantheon Isles from a young age, is very familiar with death and nature's cruelty, and is supremely unsentimental.
  • Will not feel guilty about killing a legitimate competitor, but takes code of conduct quite seriously, and for example will observe the trapper custom of honoring the death wish of a defeated opponent.
  • Does not view hemalurgy as inherently more evil than other magics, but does note that its effects are troublingly permanent, especially in the hands of the shortsighted.
  • Is antagonistic towards the alleys, of which he feels he is an outcast, but still in a sense views the alleys as his destiny, or even as his birthright.
  • In the habit of talking to himself. Probably because of the isolation.
  • Has a dry sense of humor, when he has any sense of humor at all.

Behold Tars Landen, aka The Haunt.

Spoiler

Name: Tars Landen

Alias: The Haunt

Investiture: Boon and Bane from the Nightwatcher

Nationality: Southern Scadrian (Malwish)

Boon from Nightwatcher: To protect himself from the freezing cold of Southern Scadrial shortly after the Catacendre, Tars wished for immortality, which he was granted.

Bane from Nightwatcher: As a bane for his wish and also granting the boon he wished for, the Nightwatcher “made him as unnoticeable as a spren in the forest,” by permanently turned Tars into his own type of spren.

Special Skills and/or Abilities: Like windspren and flamespren, Tars is a spren that is fully in the Physical Realm, and does not appear in the Cognitive. Like inkspren, Tars cannot change his shape, but he can change his size. Like spren in the Physical Realm, Tars can influence things in the Physical Realm (like how Syl carries the blackbane or how Pattern unlocks doors). Through over 350 years of practice, Tars has mastered this skill, able to influence bigger objects, such as pieces of clothing he can hold to his body. Like a spren, he can float and fly around. Due to the fact that he is very old, Tars is knowledgeable of how the world changes, and is skilled at long-term master-planning (think like Preservation’s planning, though without the future-sight).

Weaknesses: The motive for the Nightwatcher turning Tars into a spren was to make him unnoticeable as his bane, so as a spren, Tars is invisible. He tries combating the fact that he cannot be seen by influencing the Physical Realm, using any material available to create an outline of himself that can be seen. When he does it, it looks a bit like the Mist Spirit. Basically a semi-detailed outline of him so he can be seen. It can be made of any material, but he can only do this with fine particles, such as dust and snow, and even then it requires a large amount of effort on his part and can make him exhausted. While Tars can communicate verbally, it comes out a hushed whisper no matter how hard he tries, so he normally communicates through messages written in a pile of dust, or on a foggy window, etc. Tars is desperate to be noticed, which can be exploited. More details of this are in the Psychology section.

Appearance:  Tars appears as a 28 year old Southern Scadrian man, with a fur coat and long pants. He is tall with a lean build and has a long face that is commonly in a frowning position. Normally, none of this is seen, due to Tars’ invisibility, but when he focuses himself to make a Mist Spirit-like outline (out of dust or snow or any other light materials) so that he can be seen, these details can be observed. As Tars can change his size, he can also change the size of his outline.

Family:  All of Tars’ family are long dead, either of old age or other means. Tars himself has not died due to his immortality.

History: Tars was a regular Southern Scadrian of the Malwish nation. He was 28 when the Catacendre occurred, creating the Ice Death that almost killed his people. Searching for a method to survive, Tars found the Cosmere through an escaping Worldhopper and discovered the mystical Nightwatcher, who he was told could grant any wish a man could have. He thought that if he asked for immortality, and then shared the secret with his civilization, he could help them survive the Ice Death. So he took off his mask in defiance and stared the Nightwatcher in the eyes, and said: “Make me immortal.” The Nightwatcher did as he wished, giving him the bane that would rule his life, turning him “as unnoticeable as a spren in the forest,” permanently turning him into a spren.

From then on, Tars wandered the worlds, trying to be noticed, and trying to find a way to cure himself of being a spren. He did this for 341 years, until Era 2 Scadrial came around, where he looked around and found a Worldhopper travelling to some new planet he hadn’t seen. Following the Worldhopper, he came to the Alleyverse just at the end of the Seven Day War. He stayed and observed for 16 years. Occasionally, rumours can be heard of an odd message found in the snow, or of a particular whisper in the air no one can track, repeating two words, over and over and over again.

THE HAUNT.”

Personality/Psychology: Mentally, Tars is a little shaken up. Before he learnt to influence the Physical Realm, he literally spent decades and centuries alone, unable to get anyone to notice him or see him. Even now, he has major issues. It’s not that he craves attention, but he is desperate to get people to notice him. He just wants to be acknowledged, and over the years the want has evolved into something far more twisted and depraved. It has gotten to the point where he would stab someone in the heart just so they would notice him (though that would be hard considering he can only influence minor things).

Tars has a perpetual existential crisis. He constantly tries to do worse and crueler things, just so he can validate to himself that he exists. He is terrified by the fact that he is forgotten to the world, and if he doesn’t continually get people’s attention he will be forgotten again.

Edited by Lord Meeker

16 hours ago, Ookla the Paragon said:

*checks* Huh. That's true. 

*checks again* GASP! The bio has appeared! It's a Christmas miracle!

I've added the character to the Era Two list. When we transition to E3, remind me to talk to you about lowering their age, but they're good for this Era. Sorry for the mix up, I'd thought they were only going to be introduced in E2. 

You are welcome. *Demonstrates Mod powers* :P

7 minutes ago, Furamirionind said:

*then proceeds to double post* :P

I don't see a double post... :blink:

13 minutes ago, Ookla the Ring said:

Fair warning, that video does contain some pretty intense cartoon violence and Gore. As well as some minor swearing. So view with caution

Probably should have said that. Thanks!

14 hours ago, Ookla of Drakeface said:

Not that I particularly have the time to actually write this.

But I had an idea for a character that might fit in as part of this RP, while I was taking my dog for a walk.

Hide contents

Name: Quill

Appearance

History: Born to a family of hemalurgic practitioners among the alleyvillage, but then left for dead on First of the Sun at a relatively young age, in the wake of a somewhat disastrous expedition. Among his few remaining possessions were texts on the science of hemalurgy, which he studied for many years while isolated and surviving on the Pantheon Isles. Refers to himself as a hemalurgic ecologist. Clawed himself back from exile, escaping into the cognitive realm through Patji's eye and ultimately returning to the alleys.

Family: Unknown/Deceased

Strengths

• Aviar- Bonded to an Aviar. Masks him from mind detecting predators, and mitigates the inherent weaknesses of hemalurgy.
  • Enhanced Senses- Has hemalurgically modified his own body to expand his senses and gain the mind detection utilized by most predators on First of the Sun.
  • Hemalurgic Beasts- Owns a handful of (mostly) tame hemalurgically mutated creatures native to First of the Sun.
  • Survival- Even when cheating with hemalurgy, you have very good survival skills to subsist for years on the Pantheon Isles.

Weaknesses

• Mental Influence- Take his aviar out of comission and he becomes as vulnerable to outside influence as any extensively hemalurgic being.
  • Weak Points- For both Quill and his minions, ripping out a spike causes massive physical and spiritual damage.
  • Non-Magical- First of the Sun lacks any real magic systems to steal, so Quill's hemalurgy only steals non-magical attributes.
  • Combat- Quill himself is neither trained nor competent as a fighter. Virtually all offensive potential lies in his hemalurgic creations, none of which would individually pose a significant threat to a typical alleyverse character.
  • Inexperience- Quill has known of the cosmere since birth, but has very little exposure to it. Among other things, he is liable to be unfamiliar with most magic systems.

Outlook/Personality

• With primary exposure to hemalurgy and the Pantheon Isles from a young age, is very familiar with death and nature's cruelty, and is supremely unsentimental.
  • Will not feel guilty about killing a legitimate competitor, but takes code of conduct quite seriously, and for example will observe the trapper custom of honoring the death wish of a defeated opponent.
  • Does not view hemalurgy as inherently more evil than other magics, but does note that its effects are troublingly permanent, especially in the hands of the shortsighted.
  • Is antagonistic towards the alleys, of which he feels he is an outcast, but still in a sense views the alleys as his destiny, or even as his birthright.
  • In the habit of talking to himself. Probably because of the isolation.
  • Has a dry sense of humor, when he has any sense of humor at all.

I was so confused because I assumed this was the Reckoners RPG when I saw your profile.

This character is meant for E3, but I may use her this era for some small things since it's looking like we're only having a one year time skip.

Spoiler

Name: Eve Tacet-Yin-Dove

(Tacet was her Rosharan family's name, Yin was her Scadrian family's name, and Dove was her first surname from Newcago)

Physical description: Chin length dark hair. Extremely pale skin, though not to the point where it looks unhealthy. Dark, almost black, eyes with a thin circle of ice blue surrounding the pupil. Just reaches 5' when not slouching and at perfect posture. Almost always wears all black.

Investiture: None.

Strengths: Extensively self-trained in self defense (has unique style). Eve has experience with most weapons, but prefers throwing stars and knives - she's got pretty much impeccable aim. She's also very light on her feet (thanks to her size), recognizes the sound of footsteps intuitively, and is physically flexible.

Weaknesses: Eve is teeny and can easily be overwhelmed in contests of strength. She relies too much on being quicker that her opponents. 

Family: None left.

Life story: She's been adopted twice and lost her entire family thrice. Her family in Newcago to Epics. Her Scadrian family to Hemalurgists. Her Rosharan family to a rogue group of Radiants with a long memory and a pretty big grudge. Eve's had connections to Alleycity for quite a while, but only now is getting ready to act on them.

The Doves (age 0-5): Eve’s first mother was a charity organizer, her father an accountant. She had two older brothers. One was 12, the other 8. As children they’d have contests with an intent of scaring one another. Eve practiced walking quietly and eventually even at a young age started naturally being utterly smile. When she was four, she was out on a playdate with another kid when her eldest brother had his friend over. She was an Epic with fire powers and lost control. The Dove house burnt down and all were killed, but Eve. One of Eve’s mother’s friends was a worldhopper and a worker at the orphanage Eve was placed in. She took Eve to Scadrial where she dropped her with her friends the Yins.

The Yins (age 5-10): The Yins adopted Eve as one of their own. She always knew she wasn’t really one of them - they were dark-skinned and she extremely pale. But they always treated her kindly. They had one child of their own, a female atium misting two years older than her who became her closest friend and basically a sister. The parents were both gold mistings. They were very aware of her past and when she developed a want to learn how to fight, they supported her the whole way. It was when she was out in a field training in swordplay that an infamous Hemalurgist came by and killed them in order to harvest their abilities. When Eve entered her house to find their corpses, she immediately sent a spanreed to her mother’s old friend like she’d told her to in case something like that ever happened. It turned out, Eve learnt talking to her son who was now in possession of it, that she’d been killed by a Coinshot accidentally overshooting who ran out of coins and landed on her. Eve was devastated and at age 10 visited Alleycity for the first time, catching a ride from a kindly worldhopper who she never saw again. There she lived as a beggar for a year before the childcare authorities found her. They dropped her with the Tacets on Roshar.

The Tacets (age 11-15): The Tacets were a more elderly couple who had never been able to have children. They took to Eve immediately and loved everything about her, even her pessimistic attitude. The Tacets were Alethi, but didn’t force her to take on any of their customs - it was her choice whether or not to cover her safehand. She didn’t typically, being left-handed, but did on occasion. Eve didn’t really communicate with many people her age while on Roshar, she was extremely introverted and spent most of her time practising her aim and stealth. She kept that up for five years. When she was sixteen, things went wrong again. It turned out that the Tacets’ cousins actually owed heavy debts to a group of Radiants and had been avoiding taxes. To that clan, the punishment for that was death to all relatives related by blood or marriage. They left Eve alive, before that point she had never taken upon herself the Tacets’ name, deciding she didn’t qualify under the requirement, but made it clear that if she ever told anyone what had happened they would hunt her down. Knowing there was no way their neighbors wouldn’t ask, Eve fled in panic back to Alleycity.

Outlook: She blames Investiture and other like abilities for her losses - considers them the world's real largest enemy that most people just haven't recognized yet. Eve is hesitant to kill any average person like herself, but point her towards an Allomancer, Feruchemist, Radiant, or Epic and she'll have no extensive moral qualms. Granted, there still might be a few, though not as many as otherwise.

Is there anything that anyone thinks ought to be adjusted?

Edited by Archer

I understand these are all works in progress. Here's my (very) short comments on the characters that have been proposed since I last made of post of this sort:

@Ookla the Kirby Master

Zaren Mentiz: OP for E3 (re: too much investiture, no weaknesses)

Davad Orren: OPness depends on decisions made relating to that. Contentious 

Mercedes (Mercy) Atherton: OPness depends on decisions made relating to that. Contentious 

/all more detail preferred (see comments about three pages ago about detail in bios)

@Ookla the Meme-Thief

Tena: OP for E3 (re: too much investiture, weaknesses don't balance)

Seom: Good. Will need to check if Skyward spoiler rules apply

@Ookla of Drakeface

Quill: Acceptable for E2 or 3. Which should it be added to?

Would prefer it be reworked to fit example more for consistency reasons (re: Investiture field). See comments about unknown families.  

Are you joining the Alleyverse?

@Ookla the Guacless

Tars: Cool concept. Reserving judgement.

@Ookla the Memelord

Silas: I would call that OP for E3 based on the investiture alone. 

As for the suit, if that was their only power I'd probably allow it. Given they have other powers, I'm less inclined to. 

5 hours ago, Ookla the Meeker said:

Here is a link to see how Idos Sebastian Ainz's power works. It is not as powerful but does give an explanation.

I was expecting a Google doc.... :D

@Silva 

Eve: If you want to give them more power, you may do so. Good bio (though there's room for expansion eg. family)

Edited by Ookla the Paragon

4 minutes ago, Ookla the Paragon said:

Eve: If you want to give them more power, you may do so. Good bio (though there's room for expansion eg. family)

Her goal is to be less powerful and against all that, so I think I'll keep her as she is for now. 

Family will all be added in more detail once I iron out her entire childhood timeline. Which is kind of a mess at the moment. :rolleyes: