Wyrmhero

Night 4: Traitor

“You know, Quintus...” Waern said as he sat on the interrogation table, wiping the knife down with a cloth and placing it beside him. “I hate this place. Not specifically this place, mind. Just what it represents to me. I enjoy being the Prelan, I just wish it wasn’t here, so far away from decent civilisation. We’re all that’s here that stands between the rule of law and utter anarchy. It’s a heavy responsibility, but it’s not an enjoyable one.”

He sighed and pushed himself off the table. He grabbed the knife and dropped it into a bucket of water. He watched the red mist rise from the blade, as it slowly ascended to the surface of the water. “And why is someone of my skills, of my talents, banished here? Because of some poxy, libellous rumour. Something that no-one in their right mind would believe. No-one did believe!” he corrected himself. “Which makes it even more of a mockery than it already is!”

Quintus didn’t say anything, staring at him silently. Not that he could say anything, there was a cloth stuffed in his mouth to stop the screaming.

Waern cupped his hands in another bucket of water and splashed water onto his face. He rubbed his hands together underwater to clear away more of the blood. “You’re wondering what it was, of course. Well, I see no harm in telling you. The rumour – utterly false, I might add – was that I fathered a child with a skaa. Of course, you can see how ridiculous it is that I, a Prelan of the Canton of Inquisition, would have been lax about that sort of thing.”

But, of course, even though there was not a shred of evidence, and I personally always made sure to kill any skaa women, it was taken as a sign of something. Perhaps that I was politically weak, to be accused of that in such a way. Maybe they did believe it, but couldn’t prove it, and didn’t want to make a move on me without being sure. Either way, I was considered a disgrace to the Canton and shipped out here.”

Of course, I suppose that makes it somewhat amusing that we find ourselves dealing with someone’s real bastard child. I hope that when we do find them, that’s a talker. I hope their noble parent is still alive, too. They won’t get the easy way out, I assure you. I’ll take my time, savouring the moment, the intense pleasure in wringing their heretical neck until their eyes pop out of their sockets and-” he paused, aware that he was clenching his fists around an imaginary neck. He took a breath and continued to wash the blood away.

When he trusted himself to speak again with a level voice, he couldn't help but chuckle just a bit. “I’m glad you’re dead, Quintus. It makes it so much easier to talk about these things.”

Quintus (Jondesu) was a Coinshot!

Quintus/Jondesu (4): Hadrian/Araris Valerian, Variel/StrikerEZ, Jaina/little wilson, Armina/Arranae

Locke/Orlok Tsubodai (2): Sheon/Seonid, Edguardo/Paranoid King

Variel/StrikerEZ (1): DarianHammersmith

Edguardo/Paranoid King (1): Alrin/Arinian

Alrin/Arinian (1): Straw

Night 4 has begun! It will end at 21:00 PM BST on Saturday; However, the next Day will not begin until Sunday at the same time, as I am busy GMing a Mistborn roleplaying group :D.

red_1508616000.png

There is a Tineye alive, so PMs may be continue to be sent.

Players

1. Alrin (Arinian)
  2. Sheon, formerly of House Idris (Seonid)
  3. Locke, formerly of House Tekiel (Orlok Tsubodai)
  4. Eobard (Steeldancer) - Lurcher
  5. Straw (Straw)
  6. Quintus, worldhopper (Jondesu) - Coinshot
  7. Hadrian, formerly of House Penrod (Araris Valerian)
  8. John (Shqueeves)
  9. Variel, ambitious and young (StrikerEZ)
  10. Marsh, but not that Marsh (Darkness Ascendant)
  11. Pix (Lemonelon)
  12. Jaina, obsessed with pandas (littlewilson)
  13. Sart (Sart) - Smoker
  14. Cyfna (Elbereth)
  15. Edguardo 'The Great', long on plans but short on money (Paranoid King)
  16. A Joe in the Bush - Rioter
  17. Armina, of House Handler (Arranae)
  18. Sony
  19. Mira (frozen Mint)
  20. Rin (doc12)
  21. Gaskon Renaud, who may get around to procrastinating eventually (Amanuensis) - Obligator
  22. DarianHammersmith
  23. Droughtbringer
  24. Davus
  25. Nickel, formerly of House Izenry (Aonar Faileas)

Quick Links:

Edited by Wyrmhero

Alright, so here's a thought I had on D1. Why should the seer convert people? After all, they can kill just as effectively without followers as with them, and not having followers means there's nothing to trace back to them. Their extra atium gives them extra lives, so even if the seer is discovered, if they're attacked, they can survive long enough to make one or two followers. And those followers don't have any suspicion on them.

That would mean that instead of having a game with 25 people and 3 or 4 eliminators, you have a game with 25 people and 1 eliminator. Then after you kill that eliminator, 2 more appear.

This would be a terrible outcome for the village. Less elims mean that they're far less likely to be lynched, even though they can still kill just as many people. Most of the village would be dead before they tracked down that one elim.

And then they would have to start their search over, but with a quarter of the people

I haven't shared this with the thread until now because I didn't want to give the seer any bright ideas. But by now, the seer already knows about the strategy or has made enough converts that it's of no use to him. If the seer did figure out this strategy (And say, intentionally didn't put in a kill N1 to make us think they converted someone,) the village needs to know that that possibility's out there.

I shared this with Orlok D1. He cautioned me not to tell the thread. I've been pushing for his lynch partly because I want to know if he was converted early on and the seer knows about that strategy.

I'm hoping that the seer did convert someone N1. But even if they did, they could still have another two beads of atium, having thought up the plan with their new teammate after that first night. If so, we really need to step up our game.

Anyways, I'm not sure what I'll do with this info. I just wanted to get it out there. Any thoughts?

I had a similar thought PK, and likewise realized it would be pointless to share with the thread. Honestly though, I don't see many of the players around here going for that sort of strategy. The best part (for me at least) of being an eliminator is scheming together, and being worried about working together too much, and all that sort of stuff. It would be rather boring to sit around killing people until you lost a life, and then to convert 2 people and die and hope they can pull things off for you.

There is also a major flaw in that plan, notably coinshots. Given 4 beads of Atium, the Seer would lose 1 to a lynch, and then convert during the night. If they got hit by a Coinshot and then lynched a second time, that's all 4 beads gone with only 1 conversion.

7 minutes ago, Araris Valerian said:

There is also a major flaw in that plan, notably coinshots. Given 4 beads of Atium, the Seer would lose 1 to a lynch, and then convert during the night. If they got hit by a Coinshot and then lynched a second time, that's all 4 beads gone with only 1 conversion.

Yeah, but my point is that the number of elims doesn't matter. If the seer goes all game without converting someone and then converts 3 as they're about to die, it has the same impact as going all game and then converting one person as they're about to die. The village has no idea where to go next. The trail has gone cold. You don't have any "A was supporting B here. They could be on a team" because they weren't on a team until a minute ago. You're starting your search from scratch, but with half the people

Sure, the elims would have less control over the lynch, but that doesn't matter a whole lot. People are pretty content to lynch each other, and if there's only one eliminator, that person is much less likely to be hit. And if the original seer does happen to survive until there are only 4 or 5 people left, they're free to convert from that small pool. It would go from 4-1 to 3-2, which has much more impact than going from 24-1 to 23-2.

I'm glad you brought up coinshots. Because if a seer conserves their bribes, they're able to wait until they have a reasonable suspicion of who the coinshot is. Blowing all their conversions at the beginning means they have next to no chance of converting the coinshot.

I think Aonar is [b/very, very inactive.[/b]

C1

Aonar advocates for a no lynch but provides little reasoning for it besides that it "goes back to his roots".

Aonar says that it's a shame that Aman was lynched, because he likes gambits. NAI, maybe? I could see this as coming from a villager who likes a little chaos in his games or from an elim recognizing a worthy opponent.

C2

Nothing

C3

Nothing

D4

Nothing

Wow, that was useful. @Aonar Faileas, hello? Are you still alive? Did you get lost in the wild and dark forests of Canada?

41 minutes ago, Arraenae said:

I think Aonar is [b/very, very inactive.[/b]

C1

Aonar advocates for a no lynch but provides little reasoning for it besides that it "goes back to his roots".

Aonar says that it's a shame that Aman was lynched, because he likes gambits. NAI, maybe? I could see this as coming from a villager who likes a little chaos in his games or from an elim recognizing a worthy opponent.

C2

Nothing

C3

Nothing

D4

Nothing

Wow, that was useful. @Aonar Faileas, hello? Are you still alive? Did you get lost in the wild and dark forests of Canada?

Nothing is always more useful than something. ;) No. Yes. I have perish'd in the impenetrable forests at the hands of gargantuan black bear; you are currently communicating with my shade, and apparently, owe him two denari for another crossing back into Hades after having so inhumanely dragged him back from the meadows of asphodel. :P 

6 hours ago, Aonar Faileas said:

Nothing is always more useful than something. ;) No. Yes. I have perish'd in the impenetrable forests at the hands of gargantuan black bear; you are currently communicating with my shade, and apparently, owe him two denari for another crossing back into Hades after having so inhumanely dragged him back from the meadows of asphodel. :P 

Sure. Say something game related or explain why you lack the time, otherwise I'll drag you out of Asphodel and make you pay your way back again and again. :)

Edited by Arraenae

Day 5: Shortsighted

Mira sat in her room, on her bed, and listened. From outside, through the window, she could hear the rustling of the trees. She could hear snoring in the room next to her (Lord Ruler it was loud!), and the ping of the bedsprings as she shifted herself, trying to get a better view of the cup in her hand in the faint candlelight that slightly illuminated the dark. As she moved, she could feel the individual rough fibres of the blanket, each minor abrasion feeling slightly harsher, slightly sharper, than it should have. It was poor quality bedding, but it was good enough for Obligators. Comfort was not something they knew. They were not expected to leave a life of discomfort and self-denial, but they weren't going to have soft cotton sheets either.

Mira examined the cup held in her hand. There was something off about it, she knew that. The cup contained water and powdered tin, or at least it should have. But appearance told her nothing was strange about it, there was no indication of tampering or contamination that she could see. So why did it make her feel uneasy?

She sniffed the water lightly. Yes, there was something there. If it was anyone else that they had tried it on, they would have no doubt been successful. The poison was a clear liquid, she knew that much. Barely any smell. They had been subtle, but clearly they didn't know what sort of Misting she was. But still, she had to admit, if they had got her in that way, she would have deserved it for leaving the water aside to reach room temperature without supervision. She'd be more careful in future.

She took the smallest, tiniest sip of the water. She immediately spat it out. Yes, odourless and colourless perhaps, but that didn't stop it from being absolutely rank in taste. But no doubt others would have simply gulped it down without testing it first, and only have noticed it too late. She sighed and got up to get another cup of water.

The dimly-lit hallways did not terrify her as they would some others. It was still very bright to her eyes, and her ears were sensitive enough that she would hear anyone approaching long before they even knew she was there anyway. She was in her element, in such poor sensory conditions.

She reached the kitchen without incident, and poured the cup of water out. She then threw the cup away, not wanting to have to deal with cleaning out the trace elements of the poison that might be lingering around, and instead poured herself a new glass. She tested that as well, and was satisfied with it.

She returned to her room and closed and locked the door again, and not a moment too soon - She was practically run dry of her reserve. She put the water on the cabinet beside her bed and picked a vial from the draw. She removed the stopper and tipped the entire vial into the water, smiling a bit as she watched the silvery metal swirl around in the currents it created. It was always pleasing to watch, though she could never explain why. Somehow, just satisfying.

Mira stirred the water with a spoon - Which she used the last of her tin to carefully check that it had no strange poisons on it - and waited for the metal to mix with the water. Then she drank the water, the harsh taste still making her wince even after all these years of ingesting metal shavings, and glad that her senses were dulled so she didn't have to taste it in excruciating detail at the moment.

She started to burn tin again, and the world shot into focus. It was dangerous to ingest metals before sleeping, but at this point she considered it a small risk to take compared to being murdered in her sleep because she was surprised. The headache she had coming on would be a small price to pay for safety. The tin she was burning made it more painful, but she managed to block it out as best she could as she lay down on her bed. She felt a bit rough, actually. Nauseous more than anything.

It was difficult, but eventually Mira managed to block off the feeling of wanting to vomit and drifted into an uneasy, weary, uncomfortable sleep. 'They poisoned the water,' she thought to herself, in a haze between sleeping and waking, 'why wouldn't they poison the tin as well?' Immediately she was awake again, getting out of bed in a shaky, delirious stumble. Feet trapped in the bedding, she tripped and fell to the ground. She tried to retch, to expel the poison, but the effort was too much for her stomach to produce anything. She crawled a distance towards the door, but every bit closer she got, she felt her strength wane. 'I'll just rest a bit', she said to herself, 'then I'll get help'.

She never woke up.

Mira (Frozen Mint) was a Tineye!

Day 5 has begun! It will end at 21:00 PM BST on Tuesday.

red_1508875200.png

Despite Mira's death, there is still a Tineye alive, so PMs may be continue to be sent.

Players

1. Alrin (Arinian)
  2. Sheon, formerly of House Idris (Seonid)
  3. Locke, formerly of House Tekiel (Orlok Tsubodai)
  4. Eobard (Steeldancer) - Lurcher
  5. Straw (Straw)
  6. Quintus, worldhopper (Jondesu) - Coinshot
  7. Hadrian, formerly of House Penrod (Araris Valerian)
  8. John (Shqueeves)
  9. Variel, ambitious and young (StrikerEZ)
  10. Marsh, but not that Marsh (Darkness Ascendant)
  11. Pix (Lemonelon)
  12. Jaina, obsessed with pandas (littlewilson)
  13. Sart (Sart) - Smoker
  14. Cyfna (Elbereth)
  15. Edguardo 'The Great', long on plans but short on money (Paranoid King)
  16. A Joe in the Bush - Rioter
  17. Armina, of House Handler (Arranae)
  18. Sony
  19. Mira (frozen Mint) - Tineye
  20. Rin (doc12)
  21. Gaskon Renaud, who may get around to procrastinating eventually (Amanuensis) - Obligator
  22. DarianHammersmith
  23. Droughtbringer
  24. Davus
  25. Nickel, formerly of House Izenry (Aonar Faileas)

Quick Links:

Edited by Wyrmhero

Davus is absolutely silent. He last visited the Shard on October 8, when he signed up for this game. NAI. Can someone please coinshot him? I don't think he's going to come back.

Droughtbrigner is lurking. 

C1

He says he doesn't want a lynch. According to him, this is consistent to how he feels in other games, so I'll take that as NAI.

Drought wants to lynch Aman D3 or earlier, just in case anyone has given him info. I think this is something either an elim or a villager could push for, so still NAI.

He responds to El, saying that the benefits of a no-lynch are greater than the detriments, especially in this game. Then he asks Striker what Aman's plan was.

Drought responds to DA saying that he hasn't been lurking and that he has a plan that he'll tell one other person. Then he pings people, presumably those who hadn't spoken that night.

C2

Drought pokevotes El for not being very active. The says that he "has a few things forming," but no real suspicions at the time.

C3

Drought casts suspicion on Sart by saying that Sart's defense of saying that he was suspicious of me doesn't work very well. 

C4

Nothing

@DroughtBringer was last online yesterday, so he seems to be lurking more than just completely inactive, which is an easy way for an elim to stay under the radar. Drought, are you here? Do you mind saying something?

1 hour ago, Arraenae said:

Davus is absolutely silent. He last visited the Shard on October 8, when he signed up for this game. NAI. Can someone please coinshot him? I don't think he's going to come back.

Droughtbrigner is lurking. 

C1

He says he doesn't want a lynch. According to him, this is consistent to how he feels in other games, so I'll take that as NAI.

Drought wants to lynch Aman D3 or earlier, just in case anyone has given him info. I think this is something either an elim or a villager could push for, so still NAI.

He responds to El, saying that the benefits of a no-lynch are greater than the detriments, especially in this game. Then he asks Striker what Aman's plan was.

Drought responds to DA saying that he hasn't been lurking and that he has a plan that he'll tell one other person. Then he pings people, presumably those who hadn't spoken that night.

C2

Drought pokevotes El for not being very active. The says that he "has a few things forming," but no real suspicions at the time.

C3

Drought casts suspicion on Sart by saying that Sart's defense of saying that he was suspicious of me doesn't work very well. 

C4

Nothing

@DroughtBringer was last online yesterday, so he seems to be lurking more than just completely inactive, which is an easy way for an elim to stay under the radar. Drought, are you here? Do you mind saying something?

Sorry, I've been quite busy recently, and about me being online..I have the Shard set to open up every time I open an internet browser, so I am always going to appear as online recently, even if I haven't followed the thread.

I don't get it, Rae just seems to be attacking and receding on random people...and one time she claims someone is NAI and then they turned out to be so, which isn't that much of a prediction, not to mention if she were an elim, she'd know who wasn't one.

I don't think she's a Seer, I think she's a convert. Night 3 perhaps.

Edited by Darkness_

Okay, I wanted to go through the previous threads for quotes but I have no idea how to quote a different thread for this turn on mobile <_<

So... Wilson has been instrumental for the D2 and D3 lynches, showing no sign of remorse for those mislynches and continuing her line of thought. I don't think she is a seer but would definitely put her as N1 convert so Wilson [/color]

Edited by Lemonelon

7 hours ago, Darkness_ said:

I don't get it, Rae just seems to be attacking and receding on random people...and one time she claims someone is NAI and then they turned out to be so, which isn't that much of a prediction, not to mention if she were an elim, she'd know who wasn't one.

Eh, the vote on Drought was more of a poke vote. I get more vote-happy when there's less activity.

I'll let Wilson defend herself, but I will say that being instrumental in lynches is probably a good thing at this point given our activity level. I mean, it's somewhat rare to catch an elim within 3 cycles.

@Darkness_, NAI stands for Not Alignment Indicative (apologies if you knew this already). So I'm not quite sure what you are saying. NAI isn't an alignment that someone can predict or have.

I'll be back later to do some analysis and vote.

Wilson. I'd rather die than go inactive and since deviating from my very different playstyle has merely garnered me suspicion, I've rather lost all desire to play this game. So death is preferable. I will not be saying anything else in the thread or in PMs. Good luck, village. I hope you can solve this, but I'm done.

9 hours ago, Darkness_ said:

Okay, more indepth response now that I have the time:

Look, if you're going to say I'm an elim because of a playstyle shift, could you do a better job of connecting the playstyle shift to being an elim? I've been on an SE hiatus that's at least two months long, I'm trying to drum up activity through vote pressure because this game is so dead, and I have more homework to deal with than last year. So please, tell me how being a little mire vote-happy means that I'm an elim? >.>

I don't remember saying that for anyone was NAI except for Sart, and I said Sart was NAI-leaning-village.

Why do you think I was converted N3?

3 hours ago, Arinian said:

I'm okay with both Wilson and Rae as lynches... whom choose... Rae.

Arinian, do you mind explaining why you voted on me over Wilson?

I've said it over and over this game, but I'll say it again. This game is dead. Let's change that.

Here's the list of people who haven't posted this Day:

1. @Seonid, are you here?

2. @Orlok Tsubodai, I know that you're not in a good place right now. About when do you think you'll be able to handle SE without collapsing?
  3. @Straw, any thoughts on this game?
  4. @Shqueeves, what do you think of the other players?
  5. @StrikerEZ, who are you suspicious of?
  6. @Elbereth, now that you're back from your break, are you available?
  7. @Paranoid King
  8. @Sony, I saw you on Discord last night. Mind popping into here?
  9. @Doc12 How's the homework load? 
  10. @DarianHammersmith, what do you think about things? Even if you're not very certain, it's always better to say what you think. Maybe you'll have seen something others missed.
  11. @Davus, if you see this, can you say something?
  12. @Aonar Faileas, can you give your reads on things?