The Official Thread of Relationships

So there's this guy in my Hebrew class who also lives on the same building as me. He doesn't speak English. I'm pretty sure he's working up to asking me out. How do I turn someone down in Hebrew this is so awkward. 

Were at the bus stop together and I have headphones in and he keeps finding excuses to talk to me. We were talking about the building cats and he goes "yknow matchmaking services are pretty expense?"

me:. Uuuuh I don't know. 

Him : you might want to stand back. You don't want a bus to hit you. 

Hes well meaning but OMG GO AWAY

41 minutes ago, Deliiiiiightful said:

We were talking about the building cats and he goes "yknow matchmaking services are pretty expense?"

That's the weirdest opening line I've ever read :P I have no Idea how to refuse a guy in Hebrew, but I guess, if you keep "ignoring" him he might not find the courage to ask and there won't be a problem. 

7 hours ago, Mestiv said:

That's the weirdest opening line I've ever read :P I have no Idea how to refuse a guy in Hebrew, but I guess, if you keep "ignoring" him he might not find the courage to ask and there won't be a problem. 

I know people who both use and don't use matchmakers, and it's definitely one of the weirdest lines I've heard. 

• 3 weeks later...

So I've been friends with a girl in my math class for quite a while and I'm thinking I'm probably gonna ask her out sometime soonish. We'll probably go to the movies since there isn't much to do in rural Ohio in the winter. 

So here's my question. Generally, is putting your arm around them fine on a first date? Obviously it depends on the people and what feels appropriate at the moment, so I'm mostly just asking on a pretty general basis. 

24 minutes ago, LeftVash said:

So I've been friends with a girl in my math class for quite a while and I'm thinking I'm probably gonna ask her out sometime soonish. We'll probably go to the movies since there isn't much to do in rural Ohio in the winter. 

So here's my question. Generally, is putting your arm around them fine on a first date? Obviously it depends on the people and what feels appropriate at the moment, so I'm mostly just asking on a pretty general basis. 

Ooh! I saw a video about that the other day!

Spoiler

2 hours ago, LeftVash said:

Try to feel out the situation and if you think it would be ok, don't assume: ask.

Being coy and sly is so overrated.

1 hour ago, Orlion Determined said:

Try to feel out the situation and if you think it would be ok, don't assume: ask.

Being coy and sly is so overrated.

This!

Enthusiastic consent is a wonderful thing for all levels of physical contact.

So I'm beginning to suspect that Formerly Pushy Coworker has Aspergers. The only reason I bring this up is because he sometimes--not every day, but often enough--questions my decisions at the desk, within earshot of other coworkers. 

I want to think he's just genuinely curious, but he doesn't do this to more established coworkers, and he was hired about a month after I was. And when he questions my decisions, it's always done in a way that makes it sound like I did something wrong (e.g., "Do you think that thing you just did broke policy?" Spoiler: I am very careful to stay within policy. This job pays my bills and I do not want to be homeless.) I want him to stop, but I don't want to be mean. How should I handle this?

9 minutes ago, TwiLyghtSansSparkles said:

So I'm beginning to suspect that Formerly Pushy Coworker has Aspergers. The only reason I bring this up is because he sometimes--not every day, but often enough--questions my decisions at the desk, within earshot of other coworkers. 

I want to think he's just genuinely curious, but he doesn't do this to more established coworkers, and he was hired about a month after I was. And when he questions my decisions, it's always done in a way that makes it sound like I did something wrong (e.g., "Do you think that thing you just did broke policy?" Spoiler: I am very careful to stay within policy. This job pays my bills and I do not want to be homeless.) I want him to stop, but I don't want to be mean. How should I handle this?

I'll have to think about this, but keep this in mind: some people are just a-holes. I suspect this is the case here, since he treats you differently. I suspect he's decided he is competing with you.

Advice for now: remain professional and firm. If he questions a decision respond simply and firmly (yes or no). If he wants a why, make sure the other co-workers hear how smart you are and how much of a tedious pain he is.

He wants an audience? Fine. You just have to play the part of the competent professional. Which you all ready are, you just have to make sure there are witnesses :)

2 hours ago, TwiLyghtSansSparkles said:

The way he's questioning your decisions certainly sounds a bit...odd. Maybe I'm projecting, but if I were to ask something like that, I'd probably frame the question a bit differently to show that it is curiosity, not passive-aggression or anything.

Then again, it might be that he is bad at social stuff. I know I've said and done things and not realised until hours after the fact that it might be misconstrued. 

If he asks about a decision, replying and showing how it doesn't break policy might be best. If he's curious or having trouble learning the policy and What Not To Do, then it's a quick lesson for him. If he's doing it to aggregate you, then hearing technical policy drilled into his head everything he tries to throw you under the bus might make him think twice.

(As a caveat.... I am a very literal thinker on this. As in, I've been told by my supervisors that I follow the letter of the law in there too tightly. So... my advice of "Double down on policy" might not be the best...sorry)