The Official Thread of Relationships

5 hours ago, PantsForSquares said:

So, this is awkward.

I'm 90% sure she forgot about getting back to me. I don't particularly blame her, given that she's got a bunch of stuff going on today, but I'll ask her about it.

See if you can find a way of bringing it up that subtler than "hey did you forget" and if she says "omg I forgot" you say "oh that's ok, whenever you have time no hurry". 

I think I'm falling for one of my close friends. 

I've known her for about 6 years. She's funny, and smart, and doesn't care what people think about her. In fact, she only really cares about three things: the Potterverse, the current state of her favorite bands (she was never the same after the MCR breakup), and her friends. 

She's a lot like me, and has seen some crem.

Basically, if any of you have ever read/seen (I personally prefer the book) Chbosky's The Perks of Being a Wallflower, she's Sam. In all aspects.

Apparently, according to my best friend, there is something ("sexual tension", I believe is how he put it) between she and I. No matter how much I deny it, I can't stop thinking about her, and about she and I together. 

I'm not sure whether or not to talk to her about it. I'm not sure whether I want to risk our friendship for something like this. 

I decided to just wait and see what happens, but it's kind of been eating away at me. 

Any advice? Please?

5 hours ago, bleeder said:

Any advice? Please?

Hmmm

Hmmmmmmm

Hmmmmmmmmm

Do you really want to be in a relationship right now? Do you think you'll be able to keep up those responsibilities as well as other aspects. How well do you think she knows you? 

I suggest waiting, but seeing as it's

5 hours ago, bleeder said:

kind of been eating away at me. 

Then maybe you should go for it, ask her how she feels in regards to you. If you two really respect each other, then your friendship shouldn't be in turmoil if she turns you down. Besides, we wouldn't want you regretting not asking her later, now do we?

On ‎10‎/‎29‎/‎2016 at 10:14 PM, bleeder said:

I think I'm falling for one of my close friends. 

I've known her for about 6 years. She's funny, and smart, and doesn't care what people think about her. In fact, she only really cares about three things: the Potterverse, the current state of her favorite bands (she was never the same after the MCR breakup), and her friends. 

She's a lot like me, and has seen some crem.

Basically, if any of you have ever read/seen (I personally prefer the book) Chbosky's The Perks of Being a Wallflower, she's Sam. In all aspects.

Apparently, according to my best friend, there is something ("sexual tension", I believe is how he put it) between she and I. No matter how much I deny it, I can't stop thinking about her, and about she and I together. 

I'm not sure whether or not to talk to her about it. I'm not sure whether I want to risk our friendship for something like this. 

I decided to just wait and see what happens, but it's kind of been eating away at me. 

Any advice? Please?

Oh boy, the friendzone.  My old nemesis.  XD 

This was me for four years.  I was crushing on my best guy friend who I'd known since I was eleven.  So I relate man, I really do.  It can be torture, but it can also be a good thing.

It all depends on what you want to do.  If you want to wait, then I can give you pep talks and advice on that (because that's what I did for four years). If you want to go for it, then I can give you advice on that (because that's what I did, in the end). 

I personally waited until I was out of highschool until I did anything.  It's better that way, in my opinion (also, he was three years older than me. lol).  But having a crush on your best friend is in no way an anomaly or bad, you just have to be carful how you deal with it.

Let me know and I wish you the best!  :)  

I've been seriously considering emailing the guy I had a crush on back in Florida and telling him how I felt/still sort of feel. 

But would that be creepy? He never actually gave me his email. I just ended up with it when we both helped plan our stake's youth conference. And I he might have thought I was annoying? I mean, he would ask me to dance at most of the youth dances, but I still have been told by other people that I can be annoying and he might have seen me that way, but was being nice. Plus he was the kind of guy who asked someone to dance every slow song. Also he's 3 years older than me. 

I really need to get over him . . .

7 minutes ago, The Honor Spren said:

I've been seriously considering emailing the guy I had a crush on back in Florida and telling him how I felt/still sort of feel. 

But would that be creepy? He never actually gave me his email. I just ended up with it when we both helped plan our stake's youth conference. And I he might have thought I was annoying? I mean, he would ask me to dance at most of the youth dances, but I still have been told by other people that I can be annoying and he might have seen me that way, but was being nice. Plus he was the kind of guy who asked someone to dance every slow song. Also he's 3 years older than me. 

If he knows you have his email, then it's up to you. If he doesn't know you have it, don't email him. 

So far as the actual question goes….my gut says go for it, what do you have to lose? 

8 hours ago, The Honor Spren said:

Would you two be in close contact? Like, would it be a long-distance sort of deal?

2 hours ago, bleeder said:

Would you two be in close contact? Like, would it be a long-distance sort of deal?

I'm pretty sure it would just be a "hey, I had a huge crush on you, do what you want with that information" type thing.

10 hours ago, TwiLyghtSansSparkles said:

If he knows you have his email, then it's up to you. If he doesn't know you have it, don't email him. 

So far as the actual question goes….my gut says go for it, what do you have to lose? 

I have no idea if he knows I have it. We were just part of a group email and now it's on my contacts.

3 minutes ago, The Honor Spren said:

I'm pretty sure it would just be a "hey, I had a huge crush on you, do what you want with that information" type thing.

I have no idea if he knows I have it. We were just part of a group email and now it's on my contacts.

You could start by explaining that? Doesn't sound at all like he finds you annoying. Doesn't mean he feels the same Wayne* you do; I don't know but doesn't sound like he dislikes you. Do a pro/con list?

*thanks autocorrect. 

12 hours ago, Delightful said:

You could start by explaining that? Doesn't sound at all like he finds you annoying. Doesn't mean he feels the same Wayne* you do; I don't know but doesn't sound like he dislikes you. Do a pro/con list?

*thanks autocorrect. 

I did it. :mellow: 

Sweet Stormfather, what have I done? But I guess I don't have anything to lose anyway. I'll tell you guys if he responds. :ph34r:

So I have a strange, kind of awkward situation. 

I volunteer at a bible camp in the summer as a cabin counselor for senior teens (ages 16-19). It is, in general, awesome. Last year I gave the history of middle earth to one of my campers, and since this is me giving the history of middle earth the tale lasted for around 3 days. On the first day, a girl camper joined in the listening to my story telling (we also had other interactions throughout the camp, as we were on the same team for the events). At the time I was concerned that she was crushing on me, but as I had a girlfriend at the time (and could bring it up) it wasn't a big deal.

This year, when I went back to camp, it quickly became apparent that this girl (who is now 18 and just graduated high school/started university) has a HUGE crush on me. She was finding excuses to talk to me, and then standing close to me in lines, started finding excuses to touch me, that kind of thing. This is obviously a problem, because irrespective of our age gap (I'm 23) I was in a position of authority and it would be completely inappropriate to engage with a girl who is partly under my authority.
At the time, I went to her counselor and to my supervisor and let them know what was going on; the counselor agreed to talk to her about appropriate behaviour and run interference if she ever tried to get too close/etc. However, I was asked not to cut the girl off completely as she was having an emotionally difficult time at home, and I was a friend to her and provided some degree of stability/etc. (And I do get along with her quite well, and consider her a friend).

Since camp, she's been away at a university (away from the region where I am, her family/etc.) 
She's been contacting me through Facebook, and I've chatted with her (again, I consider her a friend, and enjoy geeking out with her - trying to get her interested in Sanderson's books/etc.), but I don't initiate contact and I try to keep things from getting to personal. 
The problem is this; she's back in town for a week and would like to meet up and talk in person. I don't think meeting up with her 1 on 1 would be appropriate, for two reasons. Firstly, because of the age gap/the fact that in all of our interactions in person I've been in a position of authority. Secondly, I am not interested in her romantically and do not want her to fall in love with me, nor do I want to lead her on under false pretenses or with a false expectation. 

(Just for clarification, she is pretty, interesting, and we have many shared interests. However, I am not interested in her romantically for two reasons; firstly and primarily because I have mentally put her in a box - she is both 5 years younger than me and when we were interacting I was in a position of authority: any romantic inclinations would be completely inappropriate so I intentionally and actively do not think of any campers in that way when I am a camp counselor. Secondly, even were it not for that, I am romantically interested in someone else at this time - and even there I am not planning on doing anything about it in the near future as I am far too busy with my last year of University).

I don't think we should meet up, and I want to let her know that, but I also don't want to crush her emotionally or make her feel extremely awkward. Not sure how I can do that, and make it clear that I'm not interested in her romantically, without hurting her and making it seem that I'm not interested in her in a platonic manner. 
In the meantime, I told her I'm extremely busy with school (which is true) and that I likely wouldn't be able to meet up for that reason. While true, and while I could leave it at that, I'm concerned that it's a little dishonest and is merely passing the problem on to the next time she's in town. 

I think, personally, it's best not to let it sit.  You'll probably have to deal with it eventually, and it's probably not healthy for her to see you that way.  Given time, it will probably go away, but I think that you, as an authority figure, and a person 5 years older, should probably tell her, in a kind way, that the relationship won't work, and why.

You can deal with it however you want, but leaving it hanging is probably not best for her, IMO.

I've heard to specifically take a date to a scary movie so they'll grab your hand O_o. 

@Erunion I think letting her know how you feel is important, and long term healthier for both of you.   The question of how exactly to do that is hard. Sounds like "I'm always here for you as a friend/(mentor?) but not romantically" is a good way to go given her family history. Brainstorming here, "it's not that you're unattractive or you're not heaps of fun to be around, you're a great friend, but I want us to stay just that. Good friends. Ok?"

type thing? 

Like maybe if you go into I'm much older and authority it might sound like you're making excuses? Or is that just the influence of bad teen romances I can't un-read talking here.