Scriptorian

Yes. yes I do. If a suspious figure in an alley asked me if I wanted to buy an early manuscript of Words of Radiance, I would totally do it. For a good chunk of money.

What if the person selling you the copy was a drunk monkey? Of the theological kind?

I join the group that finds it unlikely that the quote refers to a Parshendi, they aren't to my recollection ever described as "women". They are female (when in mating form) or femallen otherwise.

The quote suggests that the person remains alive, so probably not soulcast, the Stoneworden surge a possibility, absorbing a corrupted spren possibly ? Maybe a decription of "Ash" doing something in a heraldish way ?

More questions than answers for me.

Awesome!  All your speculations are belong to us. 

Read the glimpse, read the thread, find everything that I might contribute has already been suggested, upvote 3 posts.

My work is done here. 

My take; A listener evolving into voidbringer. A Thundercast?

In most visions of the past, as well as the prelude, voidbringers were described to be of stone.

Thunderclasts are constantly described as ripping themselves from the stone surface of Roshar. They do not evolve from something, aka the listeners.

Edited by Atastor

It says as if.

This is technically true (Pattern would be so proud), so I upvoted the downvote. 

However, it would be a very odd turn of phrase to describe a soulcast body in this way, IMHO.

Sidebar: I imagine this question has come up before, but it just came to my mind. Does anyone else think it is weird that it is even possible to soulcast the dead? Does a dead body still have a cognitive aspect? 

(Mistborn)

Would this explain how Sazed was able to communicate with Vin and Elend? As long as the body is still around, you still have a presence in the cognitive realm? But then, I thought Vin's body was vaporized...?

Weird. I wonder if it is easier/harder/same to soulcast a dead body than a living one. Which would have the stronger (more resistant to change) cognitive aspect? 

Thunderclasts are constantly described as ripping themselves from the stone surface of Roshar. They do not evolve from something, aka the listeners.

Ah, but we don't know, do we? Those descriptions don't state how they came to be. Who says that they can't fuse with stone, awaiting for their enemies to appear before rising and crushing them?

I think this is something completely new. Either a kind of voidbinding, or something we have neither heard of nor thought of. It's just too weird. The most plausible thing I can think of is Eshonai watching another female Pareshendi change form, but even then, wouldn't she say femalen. not woman?
The Stoneward theory - are we talking the surgebinder possibly turning themself into stone, or some kind of Medusa power?

Ah, but we don't know, do we? Those descriptions don't state how they came to be. Who says that they can't fuse with stone, awaiting for their enemies to appear before rising and crushing them?

Actually one of the preview chapters explicitly shows the process.  This doesn't seem to be the same thing.

Sidebar: I imagine this question has come up before, but it just came to my mind. Does anyone else think it is weird that it is even possible to soulcast the dead? Does a dead body still have a cognitive aspect? 

(Mistborn)

Would this explain how Sazed was able to communicate with Vin and Elend? As long as the body is still around, you still have a presence in the cognitive realm? But then, I thought Vin's body was vaporized...?

Weird. I wonder if it is easier/harder/same to soulcast a dead body than a living one. Which would have the stronger (more resistant to change) cognitive aspect? 

It Isn't particularly weird.  At least  it isn't any weirder then soulcasting any other inanimate object.  I certainly don't see any particular reason why a body would be immune to soulcasting.

"What do you do if the hand is festering, threatening the entire body? Do you wait and hope it gets better, or do you act?"

This is obviously Kaladin talking, the question is about what?

He's not talking about what to do with someone that's injured, he's using his medical knowledge as a metaphor to suggest what they (whoever he's talking to) should do about a certain situation.

So what situation are they facing that will require sacrificing something for the good of the whole?

Things that could be the festering hand;

• Ridding Dalinars camp of spy’s

• Amarams friendship with Dalinar

• Sedeas doing something that could rip apart the kingdom

I definitely think that it's something internal in that camps, nothing to do with the Parshendi. 

Edited by Duskshard

It sounds like Kaladin to me too, with the medical metaphor. 

OTOH, I can see a number of other characters using it as justification for their creepiness:

• Torol Sadeas justifying an assassination attempt on Dalinar.
  • Mr. T justifying nearly anything.

Jasnah might even be up to something. 

Not that I can imagine what he would be talking about, but it seems to me that it could even be Lirin. 

It seems splendidly tantalizing.