Scriptorian

"Prince Renarin, would you kindly slay this rock for me?"

​Well this is nowhere near as good as yesterday. Plus I think that must be the longest I've had to wait for it yet. I was going crazy with anticipation, I think that Tor and team Sanderson are trying to drive me insane. 

Betting that this is Shallan, or maybe Eshonai. The real question for me, and it could be ignorance, is the title Prince accurate for Ranarin, as the son of a High Prince.

Renarin is a Dustbringer! He can blow things up with his fingers! Such as rocks!

Rock. There are so many rocks in TWOK...

"Prince" doesn't fit well.

"Slay" could mean a few things. One could be just a "slang" term, a word that doesn't mean quite what it says. However, that is quite unlikely. Chances are, it is something that is literally living and needs being slayed. I'd love to see Kaladin ask Renarin to kill a Thunderclast like that.

Betting that this is Shallan, or maybe Eshonai. The real question for me, and it could be ignorance, is the title Prince accurate for Ranarin, as the son of a High Prince.

Dalinar observes that that is his position in chapter 26.

"Renarin stood next to him, wearing a coat of blue and silver, golden knots on the shoulders marking him as a prince."

However, Wit is the only one who calls him "Prince Renarin" (in chapters 12 and 15). I assume it is an accurate title.

Renarin is a Dustbringer! He can blow things up with his fingers! Such as rocks!

Or a Skybreaker, which I suspect him to be, they also have the division surge. This could be him being trained to use that ability.

Jasnah thinks she's supposed to train the new generation of surgebinders, so this could be her talking to Renarin, getting him to practice on rocks.

EDIT:

I just looked over on the WoR discussion page on Tor, and Wetlander (who has read WoR) say's that this was one of her favorite lines in the book. So whatevers going on in that scene must be good.

Edited by Duskshard

Stoneward used his/her power to erect a wall to block an entrance. (work less if he/she turn into a golem to block them)

Sadeas seems pondering a solution to bypass it, he looked to his left

"erm...I'm not sure how to use my powers but I'll give it a try"

*slash*

*rock split in half*

Edit: *kamehamehaaaaa* was too cliche.

Edited by shinintendo

It makes me think of this

The woman's skin had hardened to something like stone, smooth, with fine cracks. It was as if the person were a living statue.

could be a coincidence or it could be parasitic void rocks

I also remember that they referenced dead rocks before 

Have you given up on the gemstone, now that it is dead? And do you no longer hide behind the name of your old master?

so maybe that's connected too?

Kaladin to Renarin on the training ground.  I'm thinking it might be something as simple as Kaladin trying to demonstrate to his men what they need to know to protect the Kholins from a Shardbearer.

Would Kaladin think to ask Renarin for help in this way? He barely trusts Dalinar.

^ it could be the other way around, it could be Renarin asking Kaladin to refresh his sword training.

than at the training kaladin asks "Prince Renarin, would you kindly slay this rock for me?"

but did they ever talk? why will he go to him specifically when he got other options. unlikely imo.

Edited by shinintendo

^ it could be the other way around, it could be Renarin asking Kaladin to refresh his sword training.

than at the training kaladin asks "Prince Renarin, would you kindly slay this rock for me?"

but did they ever talk? why will he go to him specifically when he got other options. unlikely imo.

No, they have never spoken. Also, Kaladin has no talent with the sword, therefore Renarin has no reason to ask him for help.

Renarin has been the focus of two, if not three, of these glimpses now. I wonder why.

Edited by eveorjoy

You're right about Kaladin. His specialty is with the spear so it's unlikely he will teach someone how to use a sword.

I wonder, the choice of words "prince" and "kindly" is it someone of lower station? or snide request of someone of equal/higher rank.

About the glimpses focus, I hope it's him taking a bigger stage in the book than him dying.

there is so much for him to grow into it'll be a shame. 

Edited by shinintendo

Maybe this sentence is one following another recent glimpse.

The woman's skin had hardened to something like stone, smooth, with fine cracks. It was as if the person were a living statue.

... (Unknown information here) ...

... (Renarin uses his Awesomeness that is different than Lift's Awesomeness, Renarin faints) ...

Dalinar knelt beneath a fracturing sky, holding his son.

Edited by Stroniax

This one definitely sounds either sarcastic or in jest, so I'm betting it's said by either Shallan, Wit, or Renarin himself. If it's Shallan, it means that Renarin actually starts some sort of combat training, and possibly just did something impressive. I can't see her making fun of him for any reason. I think it's unlikely to be Wit, because he's off doing whatever it is he does offscreen (write the ars arcanum, perhaps?). If it is, though, he's probably mocking Renarin's decision to start training. Wit probably want's him to buck Vorin convention and become an engineer. I think the most likely scenario is that Adolin wants Renarin to start/continue training, and Renarin thinks it isn't worth doing because he has no talent for it. Something like this: 

Adolin handed the blade to Renarin... (some flowery nonsense about how sicknasty shardblades are) ... he placed the tip on the ground and turned back to Adolin, but the blade slid through the rock (metaphor for cutting, along the lines of "like a lightsaber through a greased-up Michael Moore). Adolin smiled, "Careful, you're a full shardbearer now, people will start to watch you". (Some sort of spren will probably start doing the electric slide around Renarin to make his emotional state blindingly obvious) "Yeah, and all the ladies will come to me and say 'Prince Renarin, would you kindly slay this rock for me?'"