Scriptorian

Pattern can interpret spheres in Shadesmar? But why the need? It seems Shallan and Jasnah were both able to hear and interpret on their own when they went there before.

But it's possible Shallan was actually hearing pattern's interpretations of the spheres before and not the actual sphere. That quote shows that pattern makes his voice sound different for each sphere he translates so when Shallan said before that the voices she heard in shadesmar were different, they could have all been Pattern's.

Baine, on 25 Feb 2014 - 09:54 AM, said:

snapback.png

After extensive thought, I have concluded that it is Pattern who is speaking in the newest quote.   ;)

You beat me to this joke.  arrrg!

Mnyeaaaah!  :P

Seriously though, I didn't think so many different interpretations would come from the glimpses. Some of them are really straightforward, but there's still a lot of dissention.

Edit: Hey, I'm a misting now! I pick Thug. Mistborn!

Edited by Baine

Is 40 some kind of magical number in your both's believe system?

It looks just plain from the other side, just like all of the other little numbers behind you ...

Well I'll be 24 in a little over 3 months and Stormlight alone with staggered release dates will likely take around 10+ years to complete.

THEN we have Dragonsteel.

And all the other little stuff.

Gosh.

Honestly, back when I had severe depression and suicidal ideation, the Cosmere series was one of two media that was majorly preventing me from doing anything.

This is killing me. A meta-series is everything I have ever wanted from any media I have consumed. I'm gonna be in my 40s before this entire Cosmere series is complete. I need next week to come fast because I am long overdue for my sustaining dosage. ;_;

You make me feel old...

I will be in my 40s before the first cycle of Stormlight is done, let alone any other Cosmere series.

Be thankful you will be in your 40's  Think of those of us starting this series in our 40's and 50's or more.

I will be thankful if I live long enough to read the last book.

I'm thinking Pattern's Cognitive blockage is lasting a little long...

I think you may be judging Pattern a little harshly. We don't know that he hasn't improved dramatically cognitively by this point. He is interpreting a sphere. This may be the first time he is doing this as Pattern, in which case he may be proud to have accomplished the task, or it may be that because of what he was interpreting, a mundane and simple stick, that caused his phrasing to sound simple as a result. Lucky for Syl she was the fist spren we met, so we forgave her period of simpleness because we had nothing to judge it against. Had Wyndle been around in TWoKs, people would have been critical of Sylphrenas seeming simplicity as well. I have a feeling that eventually we will look back fondly on the time that Pattern acted like a puppy rather than devious little lie spren that he is.

Whenever I hear Pattern called a puppy, I always have this image of Shallan feeding Pattern treats or something. Like, "Oh, good boy! You knew that sphere was a stick on your first try! Have a treat!" Why I think this, I have no idea.

Be thankful you will be in your 40's  Think of those of us starting this series in our 40's and 50's or more.

Can I ask what intrigues you about the series, as an older adult? For some reason, it makes me incredibly sad to read that last line. I also worry about the author himself. Everybody needs to survive.

Can I ask what intrigues you about the series, as an older adult? For some reason, it makes me incredibly sad to read that last line. I also worry about the author himself. Everybody needs to survive.

(to be read with a deep, resonating voice)

WE ARE PEOPLE LIKE YOU, YOUNG ONE! DO NOT THING WE ARE NOT CAPABLE OF REAL EMOTIONS AND REAL PASSION.

My greatest worry about the lack of an afterlife is that I'll die with series unfinished...  I call it Jordanphobia.  But I'm 27 so terrible luck aside I'm fine on the big ones right now(Dresden and Cosmere)