Question and Answer

Zas678

We know from various WoB that allomantic bronze can theoretically detect all sorts of "kinetic" investiture, including active Feruchemy. Is there any information on whether a Seeker could sense both storing and tapping similarly?

My mental image is that bronze can tell when there is active investiture doing something in a person, but storing an attribute is more or less shunting investiture out of yourself into static storage. It makes me think that storing would be much more difficult to detect, but I can see counter arguments.

We know from various WoB that allomantic bronze can theoretically detect all sorts of "kinetic" investiture, including active Feruchemy. Is there any information on whether a Seeker could sense both storing and tapping similarly?

My mental image is that bronze can tell when there is active investiture doing something in a person, but storing an attribute is more or less shunting investiture out of yourself into static storage. It makes me think that storing would be much more difficult to detect, but I can see counter arguments.

I'd guess that a strong bronze savant (maybe with a couple spikes to increase their bronze power) could probably tell, though it probably would look/feel weird.  basically, I imagine that with strong enough bronze, you'd be able to detect the natural investiture in people (similar to the Nalthian lifesense that you gain at the first heightening), and you'd be able to notice the diminished version coming from someone actively storing.

What are the shards of Adonalsium? I have a shallow understanding of them, but can someone explain it in more detail?

Start here. You have a long way down the rabbit hole ahead of you...

P.S. 800th post! Rank 348 Stormwarden.

Edited by Oversleep

What are the shards of Adonalsium? I have a shallow understanding of them, but can someone explain it in more detail?

The Cosmere 101 thread that Oversleep linked to is nice, albeit a bit outdated. I'd recommend the Coppermind article on Shards if you want a more thorough understanding.

The link in Oversleep's post is perhaps the best guide, if a touch out-of-date (e.g. WoB has stated that Bavadin's Intent is Autonomy).  Also, there's a fairly good "Cosmere for Dummies" summation in SH, but if you haven't read any Mistborn, that'll spoil... basically everything about the first trilogy, and the answer to one of the crucial questions of book 6.  

Sorry to be blunt, but that's just plain wrong.

It's plainly stated in the books that Ruin and Preservation had to work together to create sentient life on Scadrial.

Feruchemy inevitably came after that.

I also don't see why you feel the need to "explain" the origins of Feruchemy beyond it being the system of balance between Preservation and Ruin.

I have a question that may be somehow dumb! you know i only read the books, and just a few phrases and confirmations from Mr.Sanderson himself (and even fewer theories)! but here is my question:

i read somewhere that Mr.Sanderson has said that Shattering Adonalsium is almost happened 6000 years ago before TWOK's prelude. and we know that Desolations happened since Odium's arrival and therefore after Shattering. Does it mean that all those other Desolations happen in these 6000 years and the time between Aharietiam and True Desolation lasts 4500?

Sorry to be blunt, but that's just plain wrong.

It's plainly stated in the books that Ruin and Preservation had to work together to create sentient life on Scadrial.

Feruchemy inevitably came after that.

I also don't see why you feel the need to "explain" the origins of Feruchemy beyond it being the system of balance between Preservation and Ruin.

There's also the fact that nobody actually "created" the metallic arts themselves. Or any other system. Mess with to Damnation and back, modify some details, yes, but nobody created the powers. They simply happen as the world is invested.

Now how feruchemy was obtained in the first place is a mystery, but nobody brought feruchemy as a phenomenon into existence directly.

I have a question about Hoid's abilities:

We know that in order to use investiture a person has to have their soul cracked/"snapped" in some way. While we do not have confirmation about the Lerasium bead or his potential Awakening, we do know he uses some form of Lightweaving and Feruchemy and possible Allomancy. We also know that if Hoid have the healing-ability to heal his soul. It just struck me as odd when i thought about it today how Hoids soul-healing ought to have screwed up his possible use of Investiture, which requires a non-healed soul. Is there an explanation for this somewhere that i have overlooked? 

Is the Shard that's focused on hiding currently being held by its original Shardholder? (Wondering if the current holder knew what happened to the first, so is in hiding because of that knowledge and fear.)

Have we seen any influence from that Shard on any world so far?

jW

I have a question about Hoid's abilities:

We know that in order to use investiture a person has to have their soul cracked/"snapped" in some way. While we do not have confirmation about the Lerasium bead or his potential Awakening, we do know he uses some form of Lightweaving and Feruchemy and possible Allomancy. We also know that if Hoid have the healing-ability to heal his soul. It just struck me as odd when i thought about it today how Hoids soul-healing ought to have screwed up his possible use of Investiture, which requires a non-healed soul. Is there an explanation for this somewhere that i have overlooked?

Two things: One, Hoid got his Mistborn powers from lerasium, which bypasses the snapping thing. Two, healing by magic works off of self-image. Hoid sees himself as able to use those powers, so therefore the relevant cracks are maintained.

Two things: One, Hoid got his Mistborn powers from lerasium, which bypasses the snapping thing. Two, healing by magic works off of self-image. Hoid sees himself as able to use those powers, so therefore the relevant cracks are maintained.

Brandon has RAFO'd when asked if Hoid has swallowed the Lerasium bead or not. I have read theories about him hiding it somewhere, made an hemalurgy spike out of it or perhaps he has devised another use for it. Perhaps he ate it, the point is we don't know. He somehow has a feruchemical power so i dont see why his Soothing or Rioting has to be of the Lerasium bead. BS said that the Lerasium rewrites sDNA but would that bypass the snapping? You can have allomantic powers and never be able use it until you snapped. Eland was beaten near to death during his noble childhood for this reason, so he already had cracks in his soul, so we don't know if the Lerasium requires a cracked soul or not.

But your almost certainly right about him only healing what he sees himself as, i ought to have figured that out (slaps palm to forehead). 

Brandon has RAFO'd when asked if Hoid has swallowed the Lerasium bead or not. I have read theories about him hiding it somewhere, made an hemalurgy spike out of it or perhaps he has devised another use for it. Perhaps he ate it, the point is we don't know. He somehow has a feruchemical power so i dont see why his Soothing or Rioting has to be of the Lerasium bead. BS said that the Lerasium rewrites sDNA but would that bypass the snapping? You can have allomantic powers and never be able use it until you snapped. Eland was beaten near to death during his noble childhood for this reason, so he already had cracks in his soul, so we don't know if the Lerasium requires a cracked soul or not.

But your almost certainly right about him only healing what he sees himself as, i ought to have figured that out (slaps palm to forehead). 

Hoid had the feruchemical power before getting allomancy - otherwise he would have taken both lerasium beads instead of leaving one for Elend.  And if it didn't bypass the Snap, then lerasium would be useless.  

What is known of third race(besides humans and dragons) that is native on Yolen?

I believe we know nothing about Yolish race #3.  

Edited by Landis963

Hoid had the feruchemical power before getting allomancy - otherwise he would have taken both lerasium beads instead of leaving one for Elend.  And if it didn't bypass the Snap, then lerasium would be useless.  

Why would Lerasium be useless if it didn't bypass the snap? And isn't Lerasium is 100% of Preservation, which only grants Allomancy. So why would Hoid's decision to steal another Lerasium-bead be based on his eventual Ferucemy when Lerasium only grants Allomancy?

Lerasium appears to have spiritweb-rewriting capabilities beyond mistborn from the bits we've known. It's possible that if one knows the technique, the first bead that made you mistborn may be controlled into writing feruchemy into your spiritweb . . . though I doubt he did that.

Lerasium appears to have spiritweb-rewriting capabilities beyond mistborn from the bits we've known. It's possible that if one knows the technique, the first bead that made you mistborn may be controlled into writing feruchemy into your spiritweb . . . though I doubt he did that.

Can you please give sources for the "bits we've known"?

Why would Lerasium be useless if it didn't bypass the snap? And isn't Lerasium is 100% of Preservation, which only grants Allomancy. So why would Hoid's decision to steal another Lerasium-bead be based on his eventual Ferucemy when Lerasium only grants Allomancy?

Because if lerasium wasn't a sure-fire way to grant Allomancy,  its utility to Rashek as a way to quickly gain allies during the formation of the Final Empire would be less than optimal.  And Hoid already had some form of feruchemy, in advance of his decision to swipe the bead.  Because he would otherwise have taken both beads.  (The powers granted by Feruchemy aren't unknown to the cosmere-aware; e.g. the Ire knew it was possible for someone to "draw upon Fortune")

Edited by Landis963

Can you please give sources for the "bits we've known"?

Asking me to hit up the WoB lists and finding literally every quote about lerasium is a bit much.

Also, still can't just script a Theoryland quote due to being on a phone, so I'd say just hit up the coppermind and scroll down to reference number 4 to find it.

Because if lerasium wasn't a sure-fire way to grant Allomancy, its utility to Rashek as a way to quickly gain allies during the formation of the Final Empire would be less than optimal. And Hoid already had some form of feruchemy, in advance of his decision to swipe the bead. Because he would otherwise have taken both beads. (The powers granted by Feruchemy aren't unknown to the cosmere-aware; e.g. the Ire knew it was possible for someone to "draw upon Fortune")

Once they become so powerful, if they aren't snapped automatically all you really have to do is beat them up until they almost die, and voila. Simple stuff really.

Edited by natc