Question and Answer

Zas678

Because if lerasium wasn't a sure-fire way to grant Allomancy,  its utility to Rashek as a way to quickly gain allies during the formation of the Final Empire would be less than optimal.  And Hoid already had some form of feruchemy, in advance of his decision to swipe the bead.  Because he would otherwise have taken both beads.  (The powers granted by Feruchemy aren't unknown to the cosmere-aware; e.g. the Ire knew it was possible for someone to "draw upon Fortune")

I still don't really understand what Feruchemy has to do with Lerasium from your argument, but natc indicated there is a WoB about this so i may try to look this up later. Natc also beat me to it, but Lerasium IS a sure-fire way to grant Allomancy: you just beat up someone til you snap, simple. The whole noble class of the final empire was doing just this for god knows how many years.

I still don't really understand what Feruchemy has to do with Lerasium from your argument, but natc indicated there is a WoB about this so i may try to look this up later. Natc also beat me to it, but Lerasium IS a sure-fire way to grant Allomancy: you just beat up someone til you snap, simple. The whole noble class of the final empire was doing just this for god knows how many years.

I'm saying that feruchemy has nothing to do with lerasium.  If Hoid drew upon Fortune, using that "unknown application of feruchemy" that WoB told us about all the way back during (IIRC) the WoK tour, then he had it before using the lerasium bead (and he definitely did burn at least some of it, otherwise he wouldn't be able to use allomancy in WoR), and therefore the lerasium bead is not required for feruchemy.  

EDIT: With regard to whatever the rust lerasium does; 17th Shard exclusive interview, Oct 2010, Question 24: "Think of Lerasium as a metal anyone can burn."  "By burning [lerasium] you gain access to those powers.  It rewrites your spiritual DNA."  Nothing on there about needing an extra Snap.  

Edited by Landis963

But lots of us are saying that we think he COULD use Allomancy in WoR without having burned the Leerasium.

How?  If Hoid had allomancy without lerasium, he wouldn't go after the lerasium in the first place.  It'd be redundant.  Unless his endgame really is the assimilation plot.  Also, where's the evidence of allomancy before WoA (when he got the bead)?  The first we see of Hoid's allomancy is the WoR flashback, which takes place 3 and a half years before the main plot of WoR, which definitely takes place after the Catacendre.  (Because "Way of Kings and Alloy of Law are pretty close to one another" according to the West Jordan SoS signing)

We're saying he could've figured out a way to gain allomancy with the lerasium without burning it away. That seems too simple an answer for all that teasing.

Occam's Razor is a thing, on occasion.  There's no reason to think of convoluted alternative schemes every time a RAFO comes our way.  Besides, if Hoid wanted to get as much out of the bead as possible, he'd burn like half of it and use the rest as a metalmind.  (Also, @Dunkum: WoB during the Firefight tour says he's never used hemalurgy)

Edited by Landis963

Occam's Razor is a thing, on occasion.  There's no reason to think of convoluted alternative schemes every time a RAFO comes our way.  Besides, if Hoid wanted to get as much out of the bead as possible, he'd burn like half of it and use the rest as a metalmind.  (Also, @Dunkum: WoB during the Firefight tour says he's never used hemalurgy)

Occam's Razor doesn't really apply well to fantasy universes where we've been explicitly told that some people are doing things we don't expect.  Let's just toss that argument out the window, since Occam didn't live in the Cosmere.

jW

wasn't aware of that, but still doesn't mean he has burned any of it.  if anyone could find another way to get allomancy, it would be hoid

There was a WoB that Hoid would not burn half of it, he would burn the whole lerasium bead. I still don't know how to navigate Theoryland, so if there is someone with better search-fu...

One sec, I don't really know if this has ever been answered, but the thing is that when Szeth dies he doesn't awaken in the cognitive realm. Is this due to him not having cerebral death, or that death itself doesn't work the same in Roshar than in Scadrial? If no one knowss, that might acctually be a good question to ask.

One sec, I don't really know if this has ever been answered, but the thing is that when Szeth dies he doesn't awaken in the cognitive realm. Is this due to him not having cerebral death, or that death itself doesn't work the same in Roshar than in Scadrial? If no one knowss, that might acctually be a good question to ask.

If I had to guess, I'd say he was probably retrieved by the use of the Gabriel before he reached the cognitive, just sort of intercepted. It's possible it does work differently there too, though.

jW

I believe we know nothing about Yolish race #3.  

That's not completely true.

There might be a little something in Liar of Partinel*, but that depends on how relevant that story remains when the Yolen series starts.

*I wanted to put in a link, but it seems to have been removed from Sanderson's website.

There might be a little something in Liar of Partinel*, but that depends on how relevant that story remains when the Yolen series starts.

*I wanted to put in a link, but it seems to have been removed from Sanderson's website.

If you're talking about the Aethers, they are clear prototypes of the spren and as such have probably been relocated to Roshar.  Which admittedly doesn't preclude their involvement in Liar of Partinel (if that ever gets released).  

If I had to guess, I'd say he was probably retrieved by the use of the Gabriel before he reached the cognitive, just sort of intercepted. It's possible it does work differently there too, though.

jW

That "Gabriel" name is your idea or did Brandon call the reviving fabrial that way? Or is it autocorrect messing with your posts?

There's still a link to the sample chapters on the wiki page for LoP.

http://www.17thshard.com/forum/topic/691-verified-locations-for-unreleased-bookschapters-and-sample-chapters-of-published-books/page-2#entry12055 on this thread is a link for Liar of Partinel, I think it works, I read Liar of Partinel from that link recently.

I asked a question about Yolish race #3 because in Liar of Partinel chapters there are mentioned some sapient being called Eddau(they are 3-feet-tall and have a tail). That Eddau talked to Midius/Hoid.

But on some signing Brandon mentioned that there are 3 races on Yolen in which are included dragons, humans and 'shodel'.

So I was wondering is 'shodel' same as Eddau or not?

That "Gabriel" name is your idea or did Brandon call the reviving fabrial that way? Or is it autocorrect messing with your posts?

Ouch, lack of proofreading and autocorrect can be painful. Naming a fabrial would be awesome though. :-P

jW