Question and Answer

Zas678

What if Odium is a Splinter of a Shard. Maybe the Shard could be called Passion.

Strictly speaking, all the Shards are splinters of a Shard.  It was called Adonalsium.  In any event Rayse was one of the 16 original Vessels, who happened to be attuned more to Odium than to any of the other Shards.  

Do we know what was the deal with Rashek's metalminds? There is a number of WoBs about them being spikes, but I thought they were just metalminds which pierced the skin.

Do we know what Hemalurgic charge they carry or it's all just a big mistunderstanding?

If it weren't for the explicit statement (IIRC in one of Dalinar's visions) that "Odium reigns," I would agree with you wholeheartedly, Jondesu. Honor makes much more sense as the Broken One, since he's been actually shattered. It just seems like too straightforward a connection, without enough wiggle room on what "reigns" means.

"Reigns", though, is usually more passive than "ruled". Like, a dictator or an absolute monarch rules a country, but a monarch with a parliament (like, Elizabeth) reigns over it. They don't have as much power (supposedly) and their power is disbursed among their official representatives/councilors/etc. (in theory, this isn't really how it is in the U.K. anymore, but this is the easiest way to describe this idea). In other words, Odium doesn't have direct authority, he has disbursed power among his spren (which are his representatives, I guess)...and he was forced to do so by Honor. :P

And this leads me to an unanswerable question, despite that Odium is still a Shard, could it be that when he attacked Honor that Odium lost a large part of his Shard? Not Splintered (I wouldn't suggest that, despite that an actually Splintered Odium would be ironic), but perhaps Honor was able to actually harm him in some respect, that might explain why he's "broken" but not fully Splintered...

Edited by Kandra-in-disguise

So... The Lord Ruler apparently had children, but why 'risk' mixing Feruchemy and Allomancy like that?

I guess none of the children would know that Feruchemy existed, and I don't think we know if he only had children before his Ascension. But does anyone have better ideas?

So... The Lord Ruler apparently had children, but why 'risk' mixing Feruchemy and Allomancy like that?

I guess none of the children would know that Feruchemy existed, and I don't think we know if he only had children before his Ascension. But does anyone have better ideas?

I'm seen someone else suggest that he might harvest his own children for spikes :/

I'm seen someone else suggest that he might harvest his own children for spikes :/

That... Kinda makes sense... But we also know that he has descendants in era 2, so not everyone could have been killed.

I'm pretty sure Inquisitors had feruchemical spikes even before Ruin had them hunt down the Keepers, so I guess him sacrificing his children would explain that... :(

edit: I made a very stupid mistake, which Indigo pointed out.  Ignore this post and read my next one.

Yep, Oversleep, that always seemed to make sense to me--his main henchmen were the Koloss, the Obligators, the Kandra, and the Inquisitors.  The first three were all his children, so it made sense that at least some of the Inquisitors would be too.  I always thought that Vin's extra-strong powers could be the result of Tevidian (her Inquisitor father) being a relatively recent descendant from TLR.  And why would the Obligators have to work so hard to wrest power away from Tevidian if Tevidian and TLR didn't have some special bond?

Edited by ecohansen

Wow.  Right.  Short on sleep, I guess.  Let's try that again.

Yep, Oversleep, that always seemed to make sense to me--his main henchmen were the Koloss, the Kandra, the Inquisitors and the Obligators.  The first three were all his children, so it made sense that at least some of the obligators would be too.  I always thought that Vin's extra-strong powers could be the result of Tevidian (her Obligator father) being a relatively recent descendant from TLR.  And why would the Inquisitors have to work so hard to wrest power away from Tevidian if Tevidian and TLR didn't have some special bond?

Did Reen beat Vin because he didn't know she had Snapped/she hadn't Snapped but he thought she might be an Allomancer given her parentage and thus wanted to try to bring her powers out so she had a way to survive when he was no longer there?

I don't think Reen ever knew Vin was ever an allomancer.  I'm not certain he knew allomancy was a thing skaa could have- the only places where the skaa see it are when noble-affiliated Mistborn go out on missions or when Inquisitors or obligators come to town.  

I don't think Reen ever knew Vin was ever an allomancer.  I'm not certain he knew allomancy was a thing skaa could have- the only places where the skaa see it are when noble-affiliated Mistborn go out on missions or when Inquisitors or obligators come to town.  

Other skaa like Camon knew that it was something a skaa could have, and Reen knew that Vin was only half-skaa and even made a point to tell her this, but I get your point

I doubt Reen would had even known what Snapping is. Remember, back in the Final Empire, most skaa didn't know a thing about Allomancy (with the exception of Allomantic thieving groups and, to a lesser extent, regular thiefs)

If I had to guess, I'd say he was probably retrieved by the use of the Gabriel before he reached the cognitive, just sort of intercepted. It's possible it does work differently there too, though.

jW

Now I am stuck with the image of Nalan using occult rites to summon Archangels. And now I feel curious if the name "Skybreakers" is some sort of reference to the Tower of Babel.

Storms, now I feel like writing a whole setting based on this.

Edited by DreamEternal

Another clarification request; once a spike has an ability imprinted on it, it can only pierce the body in a certain bind point(s) to actually grant said ability, or can it be placed in any bind point/just anywhere through the body?

Another clarification request; once a spike has an ability imprinted on it, it can only pierce the body in a certain bind point(s) to actually grant said ability, or can it be placed in any bind point/just anywhere through the body?

The bind point on the recipient does in fact matter.  Otherwise there'd be no need for Steel Inquisitors to have spikes driven through their eyes.  

It'll only grant that ability in the right bind point(s?), but I suspect it would act as a Hemalurgic spike in terms of The Flaw regardless. We don't know for sure I don't think, though, lacking any examples.

jW