Question and Answer

Zas678

Sorry to be blunt, but that's just plain wrong.

It's plainly stated in the books that Ruin and Preservation had to work together to create sentient life on Scadrial.

Feruchemy inevitably came after that.

I also don't see why you feel the need to "explain" the origins of Feruchemy beyond it being the system of balance between Preservation and Ruin.

You're Blunt? How did you become a worldhopper? Seriously, though, you're almost definitely right. Just the fact that a magic system can come from two shards together seems strange to me. Edited by Master_Elodin

Dusk must be a worldhopper now but has he been seen in the SA? Ive seen a picture on tumblr just now that BS signed someones book and wrote "Dusk has tried Herdazian food and hates it"

Id provide a picture or something but i have no idea how to do so here and on my phone

Wasn't that story from the space-age Scadrial time frame?

Okay, I was recently thinking about the whole Preservation vs Ruin plans (Terris prophecies, setting up the atium Mistings and so on)...

Was this explained why did Preservation spread out as the mists in the first place? What were Heroes Of Ages to do once they taken up the power of the Well (as Rashek didn't do a very good job)?

Okay, I was recently thinking about the whole Preservation vs Ruin plans (Terris prophecies, setting up the atium Mistings and so on)...

Was this explained why did Preservation spread out as the mists in the first place? What were Heroes Of Ages to do once they taken up the power of the Well (as Rashek didn't do a very good job)?

Actually, as far as Preservation was concerned, Rashek did a bang-up job as the Hero of Ages.  All that was required is that the power was used, and therefore kept out of the hands of Ruin.  The mists were either 1) a masquerade by Ruin in order to smear Preservation's power as evil or 2) searching out allomancers and Snapping them, depending on circumstance.  (the Deepness was probably the former, and he reused the trick during HoA) 

Edited by Landis963

The mists were either 1) a masquerade by Ruin in order to smear Preservation's power as evil or 2) searching out allomancers and Snapping them, depending on circumstance.  (the Deepness was probably the former, and he reused the trick during HoA) 

I believe we have WoB (maybe the annotations?) that it was a sort of combination of those two: the mists did seek out and snap allomancers, but Ruin increased their severity in order to smear Preservation's power and cause more, well, ruin.

Hmm. How about strange people.

Edit: Was/Is Gavilar Invested?

On Dalinar: Hoid.  Renarin.  Arguably Shallan and Kaladin.  Everyone else is iffy. :P   

On Gavilar: That depends upon the nature of the Investiture.  He got the visions from Honor, but that might not count.  As far as we know, he had no Surgebinding ability, from spren or Honorblade, or even something else entirely.  

On a WoB hunt regarding the character(s) named Felt. Anyone know of a WoB about it being a coincidence that a guy named Felt shows up in both Mistborn and Stormlight? I swear I've seen it before, but can't currently find it due to the problematic nature of searching a database for the word "felt".

On a WoB hunt regarding the character(s) named Felt. Anyone know of a WoB about it being a coincidence that a guy named Felt shows up in both Mistborn and Stormlight? I swear I've seen it before, but can't currently find it due to the problematic nature of searching a database for the word "felt".

Try searching a topic "Felt the worldhopper".

Do we know whether Autonomy is the only Shard on Taldain?

Q: Is Bavadin the only shard on Taldain?

A: He is the only shard on the planet.

Q: Is he the sun?

A: RAFO

Q: Are there any other shards in the Taldain solar system?

A: There is only one for that solar system.

Source: http://www.17thshard.com/forum/topic/6587-san-francisco-signing-audio/page-2#entry114024

The resourcefulness of those who search the WoB's never ceases to amaze me.

The scary part is when you start to just remember them; what signing/event/personalized book/etc they came from, and when they occurred. I'd say I'm around 60% on the WoBs on Theoryland... My memory is weird... 

The scary part is when you start to just remember them; what signing/event/personalized book/etc they came from, and when they occurred. I'd say I'm around 60% on the WoBs on Theoryland... My memory is weird... 

That's terrifying. I'm pretty good at WoT interview quotes, I couldn't tell you what signing or even tour a lot of them came from.

I just memorize the words.

Something that just hit me.

So with the "Three of Sixteen ruled but now the Broken One reigns" quote.

We have a safe assumption that it refers to Honor, Cultivation, and Odium, right? And based upon that, it's pretty much been confirmed that Odium is the current "ruler".

But we don't know why Odium is considered broken, right?

Something that just hit me.

So with the "Three of Sixteen ruled but now the Broken One reigns" quote.

We have a safe assumption that it refers to Honor, Cultivation, and Odium, right? And based upon that, it's pretty much been confirmed that Odium is the current "ruler".

But we don't know why Odium is considered broken, right?

I have been thinking that it's actually Honor who rules, broken and shattered but still reigning. Odium is obviously still trapped and held back.

jW

If it weren't for the explicit statement (IIRC in one of Dalinar's visions) that "Odium reigns," I would agree with you wholeheartedly, Jondesu. Honor makes much more sense as the Broken One, since he's been actually shattered. It just seems like too straightforward a connection, without enough wiggle room on what "reigns" means.

If it weren't for the explicit statement (IIRC in one of Dalinar's visions) that "Odium reigns," I would agree with you wholeheartedly, Jondesu. Honor makes much more sense as the Broken One, since he's been actually shattered. It just seems like too straightforward a connection, without enough wiggle room on what "reigns" means.

I had to go look that up to remind myself of the context.  It was actually the Stormfather talking to Kaladin as he's riding the storm in his mind/vision while he sleeps (not when he's with the king and the others, but the time he's in the bunker and the bridgemen say he was trying to walk out into the storm).  Because of that, I have to question the reliability of the statement that Odium reigns, since we know the Stormfather is broken mentally and may be wrong there.

jW