Question and Answer

Zas678

Is an innate Breath an "extra" part of the soul, or just a detachable part of a "normal" soul?

I assume since drabs are (presumably) different from non-Nalthians, some part of the "normal" soul is in the Breath, but does it also give something more?

I think it's a detachable part of a normal soul, if only because if Breath was something extra, drabs wouldn't have nearly the amount of physical and mental health problems that the annotations say they do.  

What is the element that Hoid speaks of in the letter. I think the author is Hoid. I'm not sure. Also, why are the Larkin valuable; they seem to only effect surgebinders. There aren't many surgebinders when the interlude takes place. What makes them valuable. Also, there is a weird line in WoK; it says that Elhokar "absently rubbed his chest" Andolin, the person who noticed this thinks it is odd. It seems like an odd inclusion; at first I thought he had been pierced by a spike, but he seems to normal. In the book it would make sense for it to be a failed assination attempt from the group that Marsh works with

What is the element that Hoid speaks of in the letter. I think the author is Hoid. I'm not sure. Also, why are the Larkin valuable; they seem to only effect surgebinders. There aren't many surgebinders when the interlude takes place. What makes them valuable. Also, there is a weird line in WoK; it says that Elhokar "absently rubbed his chest" Andolin, the person who noticed this thinks it is odd. It seems like an odd inclusion; at first I thought he had been pierced by a spike, but he seems to normal. In the book it would make sense for it to be a failed assination attempt from the group that Marsh works with

1) Lerasium that Hoid got after Vin released the Well of Ascension's power. 

2) he did write the letter

3) they might have more uses we haven't seen, it may be their rarity or the fact they would have been more useful in the past and this had been remembered in tradition even if the reason for it hasn't

4) Dalinar kicked him in the chest and he was remembering that and that brought back the focus on his chest and likely some pain and thus a subconscious reaction

Oversleep, on 13 Apr 2016 - 10:32 PM, said:snapback.png

At the beginning of the first book, when Kelsier plays hide-and-seek with an Inquisitor which follows Vin out of the Canton. He draws his attention by emotional Allomancy and Inquisitor notices, so that's a thing.

Also, doesn't Vin use it on Marsh near the end of HoA?

Edited by IndigoAjah

Sorry for the double post. Why was dalinar able to feel the thrill in his vision. Isn't the thrill caused by the spren thing mentioned by travanagan

Possibly that Unmade was around in the vision. Also Dalinar still exists and is aware of his own self as well as the person he is "bodyhopping" in his visions - thus if the real Dalinar is subject to the Thrill this could carry across into the Vision, I think

Is there anything outside of the Cosmere, or is its border where the incosmere "universe" ends?

As the cosmere generally models itself after our own universe, there is in fact an infinite expanse of space outside of the dwarf galaxy that the story of the Cosmere takes place in.  Good luck reaching anything outside that dwarf galaxy, however.  

When Adonalsium shattered, did the Shards then inhabit pre-existing worlds or did they create a world to inhabit?

Also, is it important that certain shards ended up in the same worlds, e.g. Preservation and Ruin?

Finally, is it easier to pair shards if they are opposites, again such as with P&R=H, and if so would that make Odium's opposite a target?

When Adonalsium shattered, did the Shards then inhabit pre-existing worlds or did they create a world to inhabit?

Also, is it important that certain shards ended up in the same worlds, e.g. Preservation and Ruin?

Finally, is it easier to pair shards if they are opposites, again such as with P&R=H, and if so would that make Odium's opposite a target?

Not able to answer all of these, but

1. Some of the Shards inhabit pre-existing worlds (Roshar), and some made their own (Scadrial)

I know Brandon has said that not all Shards have such perfect opposites as Ruin and Preservation.  Odium may not have a direct opposite, then, like perhaps a Friendship Shard, but instead would be opposed by multiple others, none of whom were completely opposed in every way.

jW

Has anyone ever asked what happens to the investiture that Nightblood eats? Where does it go? Does he absorb it and it adds to his power or does he destroy it for good somehow?

And if he does absorb it, does that start to change his intent and personality?

Has anyone ever asked what happens to the investiture that Nightblood eats? Where does it go? Does he absorb it and it adds to his power or does he destroy it for good somehow?

And if he does absorb it, does that start to change his intent and personality?

As far as we can tell, the Investiture that Nightblood eats is expelled in the form of that black mist, where it is inert and useless to anyone.  

Well Vasher can't be more older than 1000 years.

In Warbreaker he can't have more than 600 years old (His age is something between 300-600 years old) and between Warbreaker and Stormlight Archive passed not more than 341 years (Stormlight Archive is between Mistborn first trilogy and Alloy of Law).

In the end Vasher is Cosmere aware for at least 300 years in Warbreaker and 600 in SA

Well Vasher can't be more older than 1000 years.

In Warbreaker he can't have more than 600 years old (His age is something between 300-600 years old) and between Warbreaker and Stormlight Archive passed not more than 341 years (Stormlight Archive is between Mistborn first trilogy and Alloy of Law).

In the end Vasher is Cosmere aware for at least 300 years in Warbreaker and 600 in SA

I don't know about the rest of your numbers, but Stormlight Archive and the Alloy-era mistborn books take place at roughly the same time.  I'd have to double check to be sure, but I think Alloy is between Way of Kings and Words of Radiance.

I don't know about the rest of your numbers, but Stormlight Archive and the Alloy-era mistborn books take place at roughly the same time.  I'd have to double check to be sure, but I think Alloy is between Way of Kings and Words of Radiance.

Alloy Of Law takes place between Stormlight 5 and 6.

Alloy Of Law takes place between Stormlight 5 and 6.

ahh, so I see.  I seemed to remember something about Hoid having to skip back and forth between the two worlds, but that might have been wrong/misremembered or have since been altered a bit to fit into the large gap after book 5