Question and Answer

Zas678

Can you become a Vessel for a shard that has been Splintered?

On the same note, are there shard pools for splintered Shards? (Is the Hoed Pool a shardpool?

Yes, but the process of becoming a Vessel would reforge (unsplinter? I'm not sure what the term would be...) the previously splintered shard. And yes, the Shard pool remains after a shard is splintered. The pool in Elantris is indeed Devotion's Perpendiculary. I also suspect the Pool in the Horneater peaks is Honor's as it is implied that Cultivation's is in Shinovar.

So, through the Hoed pool, one could become the Vessel of Devotion? 

Could one also become a shard by retrieving splinters? (I believe I read somewhere that the Aons inside of Seons where splinters of Dominion.

)

Ah, No, I doubt that you could take up Devotion through the Perpenidculary. Devotion and Dominion are a weird case because the majority of their power currently resides in the Cognitive realm (typically it would be the Spiritual Realm). Also the portion of Preservation's power that had gathered in the Well of Ascension (Preservation's Perpeniculary) seemed to be something unique that Leras has set up to happen before breaking his mind to trap Ati. A large part of taking up a shard is establishing a strong connection to the Shard. The purpose of the well was to attune the body to be able to take up Preservation. Brandon has described what the well does as basically making you a Lerasium savant.

I suppose if you had a strong enough connection to a shard and a large enough splinter (or perhaps several splinters) that you could Ascend.

The Aons in the center of Seons are splinters of Devotion. The Aons in the center of Skaze are splinters of Dominion.

Edited by Iron Eyes

I suppose if you had a strong enough connection to a shard and a large enough splinter (or perhaps several splinters) that you could Ascend.

The Aons in the center of Seons are splinters of Devotion.

So, if one was to somehow collect those Aons, take the Aons for themselves, you could take up the power of Devotion.  That is what I am getting here.

Thanks for Answering my question!

So, if one was to somehow collect those Aons, take the Aons for themselves, you could take up the power of Devotion.  That is what I am getting here.

Thanks for Answering my question!

It is really hard to tell, we know that there aren't that many Seons and we don't really know how large of a splinter the Seons are. I think it is more likely that someone with a strong connection to both Devotion and Dominion and access to the Cognitive realm would be more likely to take up the shards together by taking the Dor (similar to Sazed taking Ruin and Preservation) than assembling splinters and ascending. As as I said though, I am not sure. We simply don't have enough information. Your proposed method could indeed work.

No problem at all, glad to help.

The purpose of the well was to attune the body to be able to take up Preservation. Brandon has described what the well does as basically making you a Lerasium savant.

The Aons in the center of Seons are splinters of Devotion. The Aons in the center of Skaze are splinters of Dominion.

The only reference to a Lerasium Savant was about someone who "pick up" all the Mist (becoming Preservation)

The only reference to a Lerasium Savant was about someone who "pick up" all the Mist (becoming Preservation)

I was referring to this WoB along with this Epigraph from Hero of Ages,

Interview: Sep, 2012 Douglas
What about a Lerasium savant? Or would that require so much Lerasium that the person attempting it would ascend to become a new Shardholder?
Brandon Sanderson
Basically, this is what ascension is.
Tags

Nobody else could draw upon the mists. I have determined this. Why were they open to Vin and not others? I suspect that she couldn't have taken them all in until after she'd touched the power at the Well of Ascension. It was always meant, I believe, to be something of an attuning force. Something that, once touched, would adjust a person's body to be able to accept the mists.

Yeah me too

And the Well was just a tool for attuning her to the Preservation Power but she didn't become a Lerasium Savant... in the end she didn't become not even a Lerasium Mistborn (Elend was still Stronger than her)

Yeah me too

And the Well was just a tool for attuning her to the Preservation Power but she didn't become a Lerasium Savant... in the end she didn't become not even a Lerasium Mistborn (Elend was still Stronger than her)

I suspect she did indeed become a Lerasium Savant or could have if she had actually used the power in the well. However, that is a moot point. Regarding he not becoming a Lerasium Mistborn, this is true but she certainly could have had she wanted to. The capacity to do it was there.

Edited by Iron Eyes

Wherever Harmony's Shardpool is. (Though it is probably in/near Elendel)

I have a theory on that. Draw circles around Elendel and the old locations of the WOA and the Pits of Hathsi(since those two are probably still very invested. Give them equal radii. Expand the circles until all three intersect. The pool for Harmony will lie somewhere on that point of intersection.

Not so much a cosmere question, but I just finished Bands of Mourning. The Set has Nukes don't they? Or at least they are close to building them.

As far as we know, the closest they've gotten are the ettmetal bombs, which aren't even close to city-busters in strength.

As far as we know, the closest they've gotten are the ettmetal bombs, which aren't even close to city-busters in strength.

We don't know how strong the Hunters' temple bomb was though, and I think the Set has that now. I doubt it was nuke-level, but probably much stronger than most other explosives.

I have a theory on that. Draw circles around Elendel and the old locations of the WOA and the Pits of Hathsi(since those two are probably still very invested. Give them equal radii. Expand the circles until all three intersect. The pool for Harmony will lie somewhere on that point of intersection.

You would probably need something more specific that just Elendel, like the tomb for Vin and Elend.  Also, since we know Sazed (Harmony) moved everything when he first took up the shards (he moved all the Cache locations to the same basin so the survivors would all be close) are we even sure of the new location for the original WoA?  We saw the new Pits in SoS IIRC, but I don't remember a reference to the new Well location.

Alternatively, Harmony's well could be in the Northern roughs, amongst the Crags that used to be the Terris homeland.

You would probably need something more specific that just Elendel, like the tomb for Vin and Elend.  Also, since we know Sazed (Harmony) moved everything when he first took up the shards (he moved all the Cache locations to the same basin so the survivors would all be close) are we even sure of the new location for the original WoA?  We saw the new Pits in SoS IIRC, but I don't remember a reference to the new Well location.

Alternatively, Harmony's well could be in the Northern roughs, amongst the Crags that used to be the Terris homeland.

I've mentioned this before somewhere, but it's very likely that there is a shardpool in the south. Iyatil (from Stormlight) is of Scadrian descent somehow, which means her ancestors worldhopped away from the planet before the Basin knew about the south.

My theory is that Harmony moved one of the pools to the south (or a potential new Harmony pool ended up there) during the Ascension. Then, after their lands froze, a group of Hunters (who up until then had been the leaders of the south, but now faced disgrace and possibly persecution for losing the 'mandate of Harmony') found the pool, and realized they could use it to run away. 

By the way, I really don't remember a mention of the shardpool in SoS... when/where was that?

By the way, I really don't remember a mention of the shardpool in SoS... when/where was that?

One of the broadsheet stories in SoS was about someone stumbling upon something that looked suspiciously similar to a Shardpool - at the same point a red and black faced "monster" emerged from it.

So quick random question, what happens if a Gold ferring tries to tap health when they are already perfectly healthy? With other metals, like say, iron, there isn't really a limit on how much you can tap, because it will just increase your weight more and drain faster. But Gold seems to have a finite limit on how "healthy" you can be. What happens?

So quick random question, what happens if a Gold ferring tries to tap health when they are already perfectly healthy? With other metals, like say, iron, there isn't really a limit on how much you can tap, because it will just increase your weight more and drain faster. But Gold seems to have a finite limit on how "healthy" you can be. What happens?

From Miles' description in AoL, I'd guess it's something like being on stimulants, the illegal kind.

The effects of good health already present would continue happening, and any change would be negligible. Unless of course you got shot or something mid-tap, in which case you'd use up the excess health to heal.

One of the broadsheet stories in SoS was about someone stumbling upon something that looked suspiciously similar to a Shardpool - at the same point a red and black faced "monster" emerged from it.

Oh, cool! I looked it up, it takes place in "the mountains south of the Southern Roughs".