Question and Answer

Zas678

1. If you were a double Iron Twinborn, and stored say 50 years worth of weight, then by a tube or something connected it all to your stomach, and as you burnt it you were touched by a Nicroburst, would you turn into a black hole?

What happens if you Awaken something with a Returned breath? Would it make the Awakening more powerful?

we don't know if you can even Awake with the Divine Breath... but in the end I imagine the object will be controlled by the Divine Breath.

It may be a cool last will for a Returned (that would die giving away his Divine Breath)

Edited by Yata

Just finished my reread of Warbreaker and a couple of things stuck out to me;

1) in the prologue when Vasher receives Vahr's Breath, we see the Breath release before the Command is spoken yet all other instances are vice versa

2) If the D'Denir statues are stone covered bones, then how the storming damnation are they able to move, as I'm pretty certain they aren't statues of skeletons

Build the statues with proper articulation I suppose? It isn't impossible. They may turn out slow and clumsy, but against an army with swords and spears the Phantom is basically invincible. You'll need a shardblade or some serious firepower to bring it down, it can take its time.

1. If you were a double Iron Twinborn, and stored say 50 years worth of weight, then by a tube or something connected it all to your stomach, and as you burnt it you were touched by a Nicroburst, would you turn into a black hole?

If not, would you cause the moon to collide with the earth?

we don't know if you can even Awake with the Divine Breath... but in the end I imagine the object will be controlled by the Divine Breath.

It may be a cool last will for a Returned (that would die giving away his Divine Breath)

It can be done:

Interview: Sep, 2012 Cheese Ninja
Is it hypothetically possible to Awaken an object using a Divine Breath?
Brandon Sanderson
Yes
Tags

As for whether or not it would be any different than any other awakening we really don't know. I suspect that it would act like a more efficient breath, this is purely speculation but I would guess that you could use a Divine breath to awaken something that would typically require more breaths.

oh sorry I remembered wrong the WoB.
Well the Divine Breath is sentient from its own... maybe using it in Awakening simply you use its mental ability... like to say, you don't need a complex mental Intent and the Awakened item will simply try to performe his task at its best.

Well, Scadrial doesn't have a moon...

I don't think that was the answer you were looking for...

Okay, so back to the black hole hypothesis. If 50 years of constatly compounding iron (by burning a small piece of iron infused with some weight thus realsing tenfold the energy and storing all said energy in an ironmind) isn't enough for a black hole, what about a 1000 years? Say if you were a Fullborn.

If you count Bands of Mourning, then it technically isn't wrong...

Anyway, covers aren't quite the canon info I'm looking for. Isn't there a WoB or maybe it was stated in the book?

Yeah, but the covers for AoL? When SoS and BoM weren't even in plans?

Edited by Oversleep

Build the statues with proper articulation I suppose? It isn't impossible. They may turn out slow and clumsy, but against an army with swords and spears the Phantom is basically invincible. You'll need a shardblade or some serious firepower to bring it down, it can take its time.

huh, now I have to wonder: how would a shardblade react if you tried to cut through an awakened object?  would it phase through it like it does for living tissue or just cut it like it does for unliving things?

re: black hole from compounding: a couple things, most of which are random speculation by someone who only took 1 semester of physics.  1. when pulling a massive store of an attribute from a metalmind, there is a loss of power as compared to pulling the same amount out over a longer time (Sazed originally calls this compounding, and says something about how you'd lose some of the stored attribute)  not sure how much you lose, or even what sort of equations govern it.  at a guess, the amount needed increases faster than linearly.  2. black holes are based on mass and density, not weight.  you aren't exerting extra gravity on anything, it is being exerted on you (though equal and opposite reaction and all, I wonder if you would actually be pulling up on the planet, and how that migth effect things) that said, that much weight would definitely crush you pretty flat, so compressing yourself small enough to become a black hole might still be possible but... 3. for a human being of roughly 75 kg (165 pounds, which seems reasonably close to average.  we aren't going to be far enough off to make a huge difference either way) you'd need to get down to a radius of 1.1x10-24 meters if I did my calculations correctly (I might not have) which, according to wikipedia is smaller than an electron.  4. not going to post the numbers here, but I fiddled around with some black hole equations, and possibly misapplied relativity, but the numbers I get indicate that to get a black hole you need vast vast amounts of energy.  compounding might allow you to get there in theory, but i think the logistics would get troublesome.  we are talking 10 to the 40th or 50th power at least.  we have no idea how much a single metalmind can hold, but with those exponents, I suspect that you have to have orders of magnitude more iron than exists even on a metal rich planet like scadrial.  and that is before you factor in point 1 about the inefficience of pulling in all of that weight.

If i remember righ... in the Warbreaker's Final Fight (Phantom VS Regular Lifeless) just a couple of phantoms were lost... and the other side was completely destroyed

I don't recall the Kalad's Phantoms ever being activated until after all the lifeless had left the capital.

I don't recall the Kalad's Phantoms ever being activated until after all the lifeless had left the capital.

You have right, but in the Warbreaker Annotations, Brandon said how the battle went:

The Phantoms Charge Away

Did they succeed? Yes, they did. The Lifeless were destroyed, and only a couple of the phantoms were lost. That still leaves Hallandren with a very powerful army. Fortunately, Siri and Susebron are the ones in charge of it, so things will be all right for a little while at least.

Edited by Yata

Are the oathgates key mechanism made of aluminum? Being that in bands of morning I think it was described aluminum has a nullification effect in the cosmere in Ars Arcanum so when Shallan is pondering on what the device is made of I think she said it was steel but I don't know. Also would that mean shardplate would utilize an aluminum composite in the armor?

huh, now I have to wonder: how would a shardblade react if you tried to cut through an awakened object? would it phase through it like it does for living tissue or just cut it like it does for unliving things. Well we know shard blades sever the spirit of a living object then if sliced again cutting the object. I think since breaths are of the spirit world then awakened objects would be considered imbued with spirit so a shard blade would pass through the limb of say a phantom and that limb is then made inert but the rest of the awakening would be intact. I suppose with smaller awakenings like the rope that might not be the case and it would fully sever the spirit. (

huh, now I have to wonder: how would a shardblade react if you tried to cut through an awakened object? would it phase through it like it does for living tissue or just cut it like it does for unliving things. Well we know shard blades sever the spirit of a living object then if sliced again cutting the object. I think since breaths are of the spirit world then awakened objects would be considered imbued with spirit so a shard blade would pass through the limb of say a phantom and that limb is then made inert but the rest of the awakening would be intact. I suppose with smaller awakenings like the rope that might not be the case and it would fully sever the spirit. (

We'll see how it works out in the next SLA book since everyone's favorite evil slaying awakened shard blade makes an appearance.

Are the oathgates key mechanism made of aluminum? Being that in bands of morning I think it was described aluminum has a nullification effect in the cosmere in Ars Arcanum so when Shallan is pondering on what the device is made of I think she said it was steel but I don't know. Also would that mean shardplate would utilize an aluminum composite in the armor?

Every Invested Object may stop a Shardblade... I think there is very little possibility that Oathgates keys are made of Alluminium and in the same way also that is part of Shardplate

damnation now that I'm thinking warbreaker Could the statue breaking lady from SLA be vivena? I mean she can change her hair color. ..

I've seen it theorized that she is one of the heralds, the one associated with art (don't remember/feel like looking up her name right now)