Question and Answer

Zas678

I would like to ask for help about whether I am remembering things correctly about something. I have a vague memory of reading about a Nalthian nation that treats the Returned as servants rather than gods, giving them a Breath each week but not worshiping them. Unfortunately, I now can't seem to find the excerpt or WoB that shows this.

I know that neither the Pahn Kahl nor the Idrians give Breath to Returned, so it can't be them. I thought it might be Huth/Kuth (the nations that are now ruled by a tyrant who is employing Yesteel), but I can't find any evidence of that. Am I just remembering a fan theory? Or did Brandon really tell us about such a nation?

I am not sure if it is the you who talk about.

But in the Warbreaker Annotations Mister Sanderson talks of some other country on Nalthis with peculiar relationship with Returned:

- One where rich people buys corpses of people who died heroic, hoping to obtain a Returned and feed them to use in the future for a "free miracle".

- In another place the Returned wore black and try to trick men to obtain Breahs and sustain themself, they are powerfull Awakeners there (nothing strange with their Divine Breath).

Edited by Yata

But in the Warbreaker Annotations Mister Sanderson talks of some other country on Nalthis with peculiar relationship with Returned:

- One where rich people buys corpses of people who died heroic, hoping to obtain a Returned and feed them to use in the future for a "free miracle".

- In another place the Returned wore black and try to trick men to obtain Breahs and sustain themself, they are powerfull Awakeners there (nothing strange with their Divine Breath).

I wonder how Returned end up as powerful Awakeners. Of course, Fifth Heightening as your base state is probably helpful, but to do Awakening you need a few hundred Breaths. Not that easy even for someone who doesn't eat away one Breath a week.

Edited by Oversleep

I wonder how Returned end up as powerful Awakeners. Of course, Fifth Heightening as your base state is probably helpful, but to do Awakening you need a few hundred Breaths. Not that easy even for someone who doesn't eat away one Breath a week.

Really I don't know it, maybe they find quite simple to obtain some sort of Breath trhrough menace or charme. With little amount of Breath they may began to test their ability and with the Fifth Heightening they will find quite easy to  perform basic awakening (just see what Vasher does in the prologue).

What happened to malatium? I vaguely remember WoB that Kelsier let Sazed experiment with it, but with little effect.

Do we know what happened to the malatium bar after TLR was killed?

I think it was lost during the Catacendre, if not sold during Elend's reign to help with withstanding the siege.

The only Cosmere books I've read so far are the original Mistborn trilogy and Warbreaker and I just want a few things clarified. My questions might be a little spoilery if people are even more far behind than me...

Anyway my first question is about Preservation and how everyone on, the planet's called Scadrial right?, has a piece of it within them and that gives them sentience/life. So that is only true on Scadrial? The planet Warbreaker takes place on for instance, the people there have nothing to do with Preservation/Ruin in their creation/souls?

That leads to further questions. If the two men who took the power of Preservation and Ruin worked together to create people, where did they come from in the first place? Are the people on Scadrial essentially modeled off of a preexisting race/form? That would better explain how all these different planets, with different entities living on them created people that look and act basically the same.

Well, the Shards of Adonalsium, and the mortal vessels that hold them, came from Yolen. Humans were not the only intelligent life (dragons, and I think one other), but they were understandably prevalent, and Ati and Leras (Ruin and Preservation) were humans from Yolen. Two of sixteen people who took up the shattered pieces of power left when "Adonalsium" died.

Warbreaker takes place on Nalthis, more or less watched over and influenced by Endowment (I believe her name is Edgli?). Not much is known as to how much, if any, of the planet is artificial or where the local humans originated, but she is responsible for the formation of Breath and the Returned.

You also don't always see opposing pairs of Shards on a world. Mistborn is really the only series that does that.

You also don't always see opposing pairs of Shards on a world. Mistborn is really the only series that does that.

Arguably Devotion and Dominion were opposing pairs as well (although not nearly to the extent of Ruin and Preservation).  However, we don't know what they acted like when they were alive, so yeah.  

Thanks! You gave me enough keywords to use so that I could find the specific annotations myself: Annotation of Chapter 4 Part 2 and Annotation of Chapter 14. I'm putting the links here so that others may benefit from reading the source.

Arguably Devotion and Dominion were opposing pairs as well (although not nearly to the extent of Ruin and Preservation). However, we don't know what they acted like when they were alive, so yeah.

They sound like they can overlap a lot more than P&R, so honestly not convinced. If anything they can actually align rather well at times. One can dominate a region as well as love its people. Kings with good intentions exist.

I wonder what would happen when severely drunk Feruchemist taps zinc and bronze. (I know that tapping gold would burn alcohol away, but I want him to be simultaneously drunk and clearly thinking - would zinc and bronze do it?)

Edited by Oversleep

I wonder what would happen when severely drunk Feruchemist taps zinc and bronze. (I know that tapping gold would burn alcohol away, but I want him to be simultaneously drunk and clearly thinking - would zinc and bronze do it?)

Zinc doesn't make your thoughts more clear it just speeds them up.

Bronze makes you stay awake for longer so why would it solve being drunk?

Together those powers would just make him think more drunk thoughts and have him stay awake longer. The powers would change nothing about his state of mind and would just act as if he was not drunk.

Would storing zinc at a very high rate be dangerous? Since you're storing so much mental speed, could your thought process slow down to the point where you become so dull-witted you no longer realize what you're doing, and enter a coma-like state? 

Has anyone asked BS if we'll get to see a pewter compounding koloss blood?

Pewter-compounding?  No, I don't believe that's been asked (we've seen pewter-burning koloss-bloods, but not pewter compounder koloss-bloods).  Although I wonder why such an inclusion would be necessary.  

It wouldn't be more impressive than a koloss-blooded brute. Having too much muscle would make movement difficult.

Only practical purpose to compounding pewter is to make your supply of magic muscle growth effectively bottomless. And that they will also be a pewterarm by definition.

Edited by natc

Pewter-compounding? No, I don't believe that's been asked (we've seen pewter-burning koloss-bloods, but not pewter compounder koloss-bloods). Although I wonder why such an inclusion would be necessary.

In my mind i was thinking he/she would be like a "hulk" and would be interesting to see how Wax and gang deal with it

Edited by Arkangel_for_Orcas

Actually some Compounding combinations are more efficient than the others (not that the Compounding itself is more efficient). For example, double gold gives you unlimited health, but double tin or double pewter gives you not only unlimited Feruchemical attribute but also respective Allomantic power.

Not only Pewter Compounder would be able to be constantly super muscular, but he would also be able to back this with Allomantic pewter enhancements. Not only you wouldn't run out of Feruchemical strength, but also you would be Pewterarm... That's a very serious amount of strength you could get.

Throw in koloss-blood and you're a very serious threat.

It's not like either actually do anything remotely similar, mechanically, so there should be no redundancy issues going on.

The combination is definitely very effective, but I had meant it being not up to the level of "rusting wonderful" that is a steelrunner coinshot. Those two go together so well . . .

So I'm looking for a WoB right now. On theoryland, re: Hoid and the lerasium that he took, there is a footnote saying only "BWS has stated elsewhere that Hoid has not used his lerasium bead."

Does anyone know where this WoB came from? Where the "elsewhere" actually was?

http://www.17thshard.com/forum/topic/3573-phoenix-comicon/page-2#entry58108

Q: We know that Hoid has a bead of Lerasium, that he obtained during the events of The Well of Ascension. As of the most recent Cosmere book chronologically, (The Alloy of Law, I believe,) has it been used?

A: Well, umm... probably not exactly in the way you're thinking...

Q: Okay, specifically, has it been used either by Hoid burning it or by him giving it to someone else to burn?

A: Well, Hoid's a very resourceful person, and he finds uses for most of the things he gets ahold of, though they're not always the expected uses. So yeah, he's found something to do with it, but I'll have to RAFO that one, because it's going to come up in later books and I don't want to spoil things.

So, based on Brandon's hemming and hawing, popular opinion is that Hoid didn't burn it. What he did do with it, though, is another question. He might have used it Hemalurgically, based on the quote in The Letter (saying he protects it like his own skin.) And there's always the possibility he used it with a magic system from a world we haven't seen yet, so we wouldn't even have all the pieces to figure out what he did. (He might have used it in a tattoo, if there's a magic system on Sel where you tattoo yourself to get powers.)

So, based on Brandon's hemming and hawing, popular opinion is that Hoid didn't burn it. What he did do with it, though, is another question. He might have used it Hemalurgically, based on the quote in The Letter (saying he protects it like his own skin.) And there's always the possibility he used it with a magic system from a world we haven't seen yet, so we wouldn't even have all the pieces to figure out what he did. (He might have used it in a tattoo, if there's a magic system on Sel where you tattoo yourself to get powers.)

Isn't the popular interpretation that he's using it as a metalmind since he's a Feruchemist?

Would be interesting if he used it as a metalmind.

If  he hasn't burnt it, and the theory that he Soothes Shallan is correct, how do we think Hoid became a Mistborn (or Misting I suppose)? And in fact a Ferruchemist? 

Also, if Lerasium can make you a Mistborn due to its link to Preservation, and Atium would link you to Ruin, could you become a Ferruchemist by burning both at once? Or by using a Lerasium spike?