Long Game 73: The Forgotten Coup

Sart

1 minute ago, Quinn0928 said:

And if the second person is elim? We need to know who's being claimed to so that if something happens to the Defense we know of everyone who could have done it.

we

don't

no.

the person will know the info, striker will know the info, 2nd person will know the info

2nd person can't come out and lie unless striker is their teammate or person/striker is both ded

Edited by Illwei

1 minute ago, Illwei said:

are you

not watching everyone else tho? :P.

[OOC: I am, but in this context, I'm always wary of the PM spiders for obvious reasons.

We think about intel as a current thing, but past intel can be just as valuable (cf. quantum computing threats) and quite frankly, Archer's a conversion risk unless the Thief throws it out of the game for us. Again, QF4, Alv. He and Sart were lethal together.]

Just now, Illwei said:

2nd person can't come out and lie unless striker is their teammate or person/striker is both ded

"Striker is elim" is one of the scenarios we're trying to account for by telling a second person. And I'm not saying that 2nd person would lie anyway. More likely they'd RB and/or kill the person claiming.

1 minute ago, Burnt Spaghetti said:

Beware the watching eyes of the kasimfiend. Their haunted pits of ages past see all, fear all, their perception clouded and enhanced by a history not forgotten.

[OOC: I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Night's Watch, for this night and all the nights to come.]

Just now, Illwei said:

in which

1) we could probably narrow down who it was a bit
2) if they're still alive then they'll know

And what if one of the potential Defenders is elim, and is planning on killing Striker to keep their identity out of village hands? They could just not claim to anyone, not defend, and no one would be the wiser. The Defense wouldn't necessarily be inadequate, but it could end up that way.

And what if one of the potential Defenders is elim, and is planning on killing Striker to keep their identity out of village hands?

kay what the heck

They could just not claim to anyone, not defend, and no one would be the wiser.

this is so

completely irrelevant problem here

Edited by Illwei

Just now, Illwei said:

kay what the heck

Not saying it's likely, but it's possible and I'd rather account for it than not. By having the two people claim to Archer, who is almost certainly village, can tell us whether he got two claims, and whom the elims at least have a reason not to kill, we more or less cover every combination of people being elims--except if there's been a Shadowblaze in play, which I find... less than likely.

Just now, Quinn0928 said:

Not saying it's likely, but it's possible and I'd rather account for it than not. By having the two people claim to Archer, who is almost certainly village, can tell us whether he got two claims, and whom the elims at least have a reason not to kill, we more or less cover every combination of people being elims--except if there's been a Shadowblaze in play, which I find... less than likely.

i

you are making less and less sense and people have seen my posts and I'mma leave it at that. not something I wanna spend my energy doing rn. I have a pizza bagel to make

Just now, Mist said:

I think it's possible the Shadowblaze started in play, since people started with Specializations and could have started with items. So be careful

I'm pretty sure this is not the case, since we can account for the camp defense without the existence of the Shadowblaze. If someone had a Shadowblaze, then the claims would not match the actual defense.

1 hour ago, Mist said:

I think it's possible the Shadowblaze started in play, since people started with Specializations and could have started with items. So be careful

Actually, wait, we know there hasn't been! Unless it started in the hands of a Thief, who wouldn't be in any hurry to pass it on. If the elims started with it then the Defense last cycle would have been 2, not 3. If the village had it then the Defense would have been 4. (three people Defended.)

Edit: ninja'd lol

1 hour ago, Illwei said:

i

you are making less and less sense and people have seen my posts and I'mma leave it at that. not something I wanna spend my energy doing rn. I have a pizza bagel to make

I'm... not clear on why I'm making less and less sense : P I'm trying to close all the loopholes in how we keep track of Defense. Since Archer is confirmed vil (no Shadowblaze in play, or we would have seen altered Defense) we know he won't lie to us about who said they were Defending. If we only told him, then the elims could just kill him to break the chain, so we have someone else know too--and make sure everyone's aware of it so that if that person's elim then they'll be aware we watching them and will be less likely to lie. That way we can organize the precise amount of Defense we need. Of course, the second the Shadowblaze or a Gun is taken from the Camp Supply that changes, but until then this should work just fine.

Edit: oops, didn't mean to double-post : P I thought someone else had posted (my notifs are weird)

Edited by Quinn0928

14 minutes ago, Quinn0928 said:

Since Archer is confirmed vil (no Shadowblaze in play, or we would have seen altered Defense) we know he won't lie to us about who said they were Defending.

[OOC: I'm just going to repeat this one last time. Not all Confirmed Goods play maximally to current wincon in a conversion game and that's okay. Some players want to hedge their bets by not going full-tilt Village and that's okay in a Conversion GameArcher is a role that can be converted, and we don't know if he's a max wincon guy or a bet hedging guy.

You're making unwarranted assumptions about how he wants to approach this game.]

Edited by Kasimir

Okay, so...what if I just say who the two people were right as the cycle is ending? Right as the clock hits 8. Elims won't have a chance to change their orders, and I'll have given out the info in case I end up dying. I'd also be down with telling other people who told me they would defend. That just risks giving the elims that knowledge, as I can't be 100% that the people I trust are village.

1 minute ago, StrikerEZ said:

Okay, so...what if I just say who the two people were right as the cycle is ending? Right as the clock hits 8. Elims won't have a chance to change their orders, and I'll have given out the info in case I end up dying. I'd also be down with telling other people who told me they would defend. That just risks giving the elims that knowledge, as I can't be 100% that the people I trust are village.

I mean that works, if you can be around for it. 

3 minutes ago, Kasimir said:

[OOC: I'm just going to repeat this one last time. Not all Confirmed Goods play maximally to current wincon in a conversion game and that's okay. Some players want to hedge their bets by not going full-tilt Village and that's okay in a Conversion GameArcher is a role that can be converted, and we don't know if he's a max wincon guy or a bet hedging guy.

You're making unwarranted assumptions about how he wants to approach this game.]

Fair enough, I guess. 

1 minute ago, StrikerEZ said:

Okay, so...what if I just say who the two people were right as the cycle is ending? Right as the clock hits 8. Elims won't have a chance to change their orders, and I'll have given out the info in case I end up dying.

This seems like a good idea. I think I killed Striker in the last iteration of this game to hide my own lack of a Line of Warding, and this plan removes that option from the elims.

I mean that works, if you can be around for it. 

Yeah, I'll definitely be around for it. Not doing anything tonight besides watching Brandon's livestream. I'll set a reminder to come on and post it, if I get enough people telling me they want me to do it that way.

Just now, Araris Valerian said:

This seems like a good idea. I think I killed Striker in the last iteration of this game to hide my own lack of a Line of Warding, and this plan removes that option from the elims.

Still so upset about this. :P

I had this big plan to try and catch you because I was like 99% sure you were an elim, and I didn't even tell anyone about it, so I just ended up dying without anyone knowing I'd figured you out. :P

22 minutes ago, StrikerEZ said:

I like this plan.

18 minutes ago, StrikerEZ said:

Not doing anything tonight besides watching Brandon's livestream.

WHA-WHO-WHA A WHAT

No... I need to do things and you tell me this...

Just now, Ashbringer said:

I like this plan.

WHA-WHO-WHA A WHAT

No... I need to do things and you tell me this...

Sorry. :P

Right now it's just Jello (Brandon's pet parrot) doing things and Brandon trying to calm him down. :P

My personal philosophy this game is that so long as I am a villager, I will play to maximize the chances of the Rithmatists. My being converted would be detrimental to the village's chances, so I am trying to avoid it. (Although there isn't much I can do now that my identity is known.) Making preparations that would help me if I become an Elim would, in my mind, be working against my current wincon. I will not be doing it.

I am open to corroborating people's actions, and would suggest put me in a group PM with a second person you trust if you would like to declare anything, but will point out that if I am converted, I will be able to tell the elims everything I know, including specializations and inventories I am told about. Additionally, I am an easy NK target. The potential for conversion may not be enough to convince the elims to spare me. 

If I die tonight, I wish you all the best of luck. 

The Servant of the Mad God crushed limestone with his pestle, beginning the first act of creation. The dust accumulated, some lost to the air, but most remaining in the mortar. Once a sufficient quantity had been gathered, he placed a fragment of bone from the sprawling entity known by many names, but mostly by Yog. He continued grinding away at the stone, but soon, the dust seemed to resist the pestle, twisting away from it like a living thing. Perfect. He trickled water into the powder and added a single drop of blood, then stirred. 

The Chalklings gathered around, and watched him form another one of their kin. The new one screamed as he tore it out of the void. "Welcome to the world," he whispered. 

Duncan drew a Line of Warding around the camp, and then dusted his hands off.

Iron Duncan, they'd called him, back in those days, because his defenses held, no matter how many times attackers tried to compromise them. It was different with the squad on Nebrask, though. Kessen was fast and forgettable.

That was always the problem.

And Wyatt...

Didn't matter how good your lines were. Trust the wrong man, and you were dead. Or worse than dead.

Broken.

His life fell away, one half of it before Nebrask,

and the other of it after, and try as he might, Duncan couldn't seem to find a path back to who he used to be. Who he wanted to be.

Any longer.

[OOC: I am the chalk in the darkness. I am the warder on the walls. I am the line that guards the realms of men.]