Long Game 71: A Cosmere Odyssey

Straw

Man, I saw Elk on a half hour ago and really hoped he was going to post something.

16 minutes ago, Wind said:

Who’s the most suspicious?

What do you mean by this?

Idk I could always try and claim Elim to try and get people talking :P. I'll try and post my reads in a bit. 

Just now, Wind said:

Who’s the most suspicious?

Are you asking us that? Matrim is!  

9 minutes ago, Devotary of Spontaneity said:

@eltruT, are you actually suspicious of Mist if you're not voting for her because you think she evil? Do you have an alternative candidate if Mist isn't evil?

I do, but if I say who I might lose their trust (I likely already am). Also, my reasoning for thinking this person would be 'For PM reasons', which doesn't sound the most compelling. If more concrete evidence for this person appears I will tell you guys, but for now I will keep to my diabolical plans. If anyone wants a read list I can give one, but for now I need to stick to writing plans and doing homework. 

I'm starting to really wonder how cunning I am...

4 minutes ago, eltruT said:

I do, but if I say who I might lose their trust (I likely already am). Also, my reasoning for thinking this person would be 'For PM reasons', which doesn't sound the most compelling. If more concrete evidence for this person appears I will tell you guys, but for now I will keep to my diabolical plans.

Voicing honest suspicion of someone shouldn't make them lose trust in you, and even if it does it's less important than getting your suspicions out, even if you don't have any specific reasons other than a general feeling.

I usually either don't write my longer posts on the Shard, or I periodically copy the entire thing so I don't lose it. 

53 minutes ago, Devotary of Spontaneity said:

Voicing honest suspicion of someone shouldn't make them lose trust in you

IMO yes, unless it's something like you would have to reference something specific they told you, and maybe either asked you not to say or was implied that it's not something you should share for safety reasons. Saying who it is I don't think should matter though, unless I'm missing something :P.

58 minutes ago, Ashbringer said:

Great, now I'm getting flashbacks...

hehe *shuffles awkwardly*

Sorry, had school and a ton of homework today. I'm not really suspicious of anyone right now. Has anyone voted yet?

Let's try this again.

The last one started with a joke about how Multiquotes are better than spreadsheets. I have been proven wrong

On 10/25/2020 at 3:14 PM, Illwei said:

So...the Elims tried to kill gears because they thought he might be the HI? Or maybe a spy Hemalurgist thought they might be a Hemalurgist? hm.
Wouldn't be my first choice of a Kill. 

During the night I was told that there are 6 Hemalurgists in total. A larger number than I thought it might be, but I guess that's a bit over 25%.

I really don't know why they would pick gears. I feel kind of bad because he probably still thinks I'm bad. I gave him a vague answer in a PM last night that I realize now might have come off threatening... and now he is dead. I'd guess it may have been a newer player who killed him given he's died early a lot recently and they wouldn't have known that.

6 hemalurgists is really good to know. I wonder if this information is GM approved. If I was less chaotic (and more Hemalurgisty), I might not have spoken in the hemalurgist doc to make the elims think they were closer than they thought. Of course, me being me, I couldn't have resisted the shenanigans of an anonymous doc if I was a hemalurgist.

22 hours ago, Condensation said:

Sorry, guys, I'm floundering. I have no idea what anything means. Is this how it is for your first time generally? Because I don't realize that things are important and I can't ask if things are important just in case it does something bad, so I'm completely... ugh. Mat/Straw, do you mind if I ask you lots of questions on our PM?

That's pretty much how it is. If you want a prime example you can look at the last time this game was run. It was my first game and I was the last eliminator for a long time. I had no idea what I was doing. I highly recommend filling up your GM PM with questions, but they can't help you with strategy. I'm sorry I didn't reach out to you last night cycle, but I'll shoot you a PM if I live to the next one. I also recommend reaching out to Illwei and Ashbringer and maybe even Aman and Araris. The first two because they have been pretty good recently and the latter because they are really good historically. Don't tell us your role or anything that you wouldn't want the elims to know, but I am confident that bouncing ideas off of us will help you find a playstyle you can leverage and that you will enjoy.

21 hours ago, Elandera said:

I doubt Gears was killed because of the HI claim. If the elims hit someone who survives, it's either the HI or the Voidbringer and the village can then avoid lynching them until they know for sure which role they have. It doesn't play to their hand to accidentally attack the HI.

My suspicion at the moment is that Gears was killed more for the lack of information it would provide (common strategy early in games), or for the comments he made during the night cycle about the D1 lynch swing. His posts during the day were all pretty benign and mostly consisted of not having the time to keep up with the ever-moving thread.

Then at night, he posted these:

..... wait. When did they get rid of the direct post link function? How long have I been away???

Anyways, he posted a breakdown of the votes on what's now page 15 of the thread, then a follow-up breakdown of his suspicions.

Reveal hidden contents

Gears seemed most suspicious of Elkanah, elruT, and TJ. 

I'm not sure I agree entirely with all of that, but it's possible there are at least two elims among the list of players he called out. Right now, I'm a little more suspicious of Illwei, as from what I remember (I haven't had the time and energy to read through the entire thread so far), they seemed to be trying to avoid any vote at all on Elkanah. 

All of that hinges, though, on Elkanah being elim. So, let's get voting started, shall we?

Elkanah

It has been a little while :P

I love the enthusiasm for a vote... but I'm not sure I'm to the point where my flipping village helps us out. It's true that if I flipped elim we get a lot of info, but I won't. That's kind of why I wanted to be in this position. However, I think if I go a little longer, me flipping village will help us nail the eliminators. (gets a flashback to Experience's MR lol).

That is an interesting thing. I didn't expect Illwei to back me up. I'll take it, though.

19 hours ago, Illwei said:

In my chat with Gears they kind of defended Elk, which is what led me to think it was e/e. (honesty I'm never going to read gears as village until he rolls elim at least once. like-)

I do think that TJ's flip felt weerd, but also that, yeah. it depend on Elk's flip. 

I'm not sure what's going on with Elk, but I don't think I want to vote on him rn. 

Aman

This is really interesting, because that isn't at all the impression I got from our PM. I have tentative reason to trust Aman. Enough to say we probably shouldn't lynch him at this point. (PM reasons lul).

19 hours ago, Amanuensis said:

Intriguing turn of events. Elandera.

So is this...

Why??

19 hours ago, Ashbringer said:

And if @Elkanah votes on Illwei, the vote circle shall be complete...

Illwei We have assembled Voltron

19 hours ago, Illwei said:

Well, as I was putting things down in my spreadsheet, I was thinking why do people insist on seeing Elk's? I was the one who brought up the Spreadsheet point, and it was really probably me being paranoid. I do think that it's easier to play as an Elim when you have a spreadsheet, but...I don't know. I would like to see something from Elk, in terms of reads or thoughts, as that has definitely felt like it's been lacking at a total of 7 posts last cycle, with basically only 2 of them being kind of thinky posts iirc. After looking through old games. I don't think his meta is a big point to go off of. LG 66/65 I think he was a villager and didn't play nearly the same as LG69. I might need to read through those again to look at it more. 

Elandera, what do you think of Turtle? and why do you think there might be at least two Elims in a pool of three people, when there's 23 people in the game, and a lot of them haven't been talking all that much?

haha.

The game was just getting to be too much to keep track of; therefore, a spreadsheet seemed prudent. This cycle has been much more reasonable and here is my second attempt at a multiquote. I think I have 25 posts this time instead of 17 so I'm getting to the point where a spreadsheet may have been a better idea, but I'm committed now.

I thought this playstyle was a lot like the monk. The main difference being I don't have to vote on one person to gain my powers. Oh and I don't have to prompt people to be active. I think I maybe just do better in slower games. I get bored and have more time to do stupid things.

18 hours ago, Danex said:

It might be less that you’re jumping to conclusions, and more that you’re just arriving at so many of them. Which correlates with your abundance of posts, so that might make sense. It did seem like you voted Aman rather out of the blue tho...

This is really just Illwei's playstyle. He can be pretty easy to throw under the bus for this reason which makes me wonder about your alignment. Not enough to vote for you, but be warned. you have been noted. :ph34r:

10 hours ago, Shard of Reading said:

Sooo... I wasn't here on Sunday because it was my mom's birthday and I can't post SE analysis while singing happy birthday can I? I just re-read the doc and I reaaaaaly didn't like the way the vote moved onto vently at the last second that just seemed really off. To be fair I did skim his post but knowing he was village I thought that Illwei and TJ shade's votes seemed off too me. I'm cutting Turtle some slack because they are still fairly new and Devotary seemed like they put more thought into their vote than Illwei and TJ. Although I suspect both of them, I'm thinking that TJ shade can get my vote.

Happy Birthday!!!

Which doc did you read?? You're also setting up for an Illwei lynch with Danex.

Interesting. You have also been noted.:ph34r:

10 hours ago, Araris Valerian said:

My reaction to the lynch last cycle is that TJ and Illwei are looking more village to me. Illwei instigated the lynch on Ventyl, and TJ was the first to back it up. Illwei posted suspicion of Ventyl around 3EST, and voted around 4EST. TJ voted around 4:30. Regardless of Elkanah's alignment, this seems to me like it draws unnecessary attention to both TJ and Illwei, something elims would probably want to avoid. I'm not sure that we learn too much about Turtle and Devotary from the lynch though, unless we get an elim flip from Elkanah.

My vote is going to go on Shard of Reading for now. You didn't vote at all last cycle, and I disagree with your views on the lynch.

Contribution Crusade Plug: I also think we need a few more votes happening in general. I know some people may feel uncomfortable voting without, but voting is the core mechanic of the game. Not voting is like playing a Mario level without jumping. You have to be pretty lucky to make it to the end in one piece. Only 9/23 players voted last cycle, which is kinda sad. That leaves way too much space for the elims to hide in.

I agree. There is a corner case where elim TJ and elim Illwei know this sets me up as the lynch for day 2. If I'm an elim, then they are bad, but since they already know I'll flip villager, they escape the heat. I don't think that's what happened (or at least, I'm not clever enough to try that), but they aren't super cleared.

Reading is an interesting vote, but I can't really refute it. 

I have voted, but it'll probably change by the time I have finished this post.

10 hours ago, eltruT said:

Don’t you love it when you click off a page on accident and then you have to rewrite your post?

I love it... It's so fun... The longer the better :wacko::unsure::P

9 hours ago, eltruT said:

mist This is not because I think mist is elim, but I think that if mist is not elim, someone else is. 

I was going to ask you to elaborate, but I just saw you told us you wouldn't. so... okay. May I recommend you tell someone in a PM if you live that long?

7 hours ago, Whysper said:

Okay, I know a few people are giving eltruT a pass for being newish, but I think there's a bit too much to overlook.

They said this about the hesitation to vote, yet they didn't seem to have problems throwing around votes yesterday. They needed very little convincing to jump onto the Ventryl wagon, which resulted in the lynch.

And what's this? Going back to voting for Mist when specifically not thinking they are elim? And what's all that about if Mist isn't elim then someone else is? Isn't that just obvious??

/vote eltruT

BTW, I still haven't completed dropped my suspicions about Elk, but I think this might be where to go today.

I don't know that we ought to give Turtle a pass. She is clever and knows what she is doing. I probably will end up voting with you if I don't see something else more convincing.

7 hours ago, Illwei said:

Can anyone tell me how cunning Turtle is? because either Turtle is a pretty standard new player here, or I'm getting played. Again. 

I do think that throwing her vote around yesterday and then today saying that she doesn't feel like she should vote is strange, but I don't think that individually they are. yesterday was kind of wierd, yeah, but when I was starting out I hated voting because I didn't know who to vote on. Turtle also just came off of her first game- where she was an Elim, so she's probably definitely not as sure of herself without a team she can trust helping her.

Then again, sure. I might be getting played. woohoo. If Elk and Turtle end up flipping Elim I apologize lol.

Very cunning. It was my honor to be on her team.

I don't see the vote moving as much an indicator as the timing of the votes. Of course, this is the same argument I used last game to try to get Matrim mislynched... but you're not voting for Turtle... so not the same?

I can't speak for Turtle, but I am not on an elim team with her this time.

6 hours ago, eltruT said:

I'll have you know I am just as cunning now as I was when I was Elim. 
I don't really have much to do right now, and I don't know if I can defend against Whysper.

True and same.

2 hours ago, Ashbringer said:

Okay, I have time to actually say something.

Looking back at the last hour or so... Ventyl's suspicious post does seem very... Ventyl... but I think it was a fair source of suspicion. Illwei and TJ started it, and Devotary's made a tradition of voting very late in the cycle... Turtle's vote is the one that sticks out as bandwagon-y. Her and Elkanah are probably the ones I'm going to look back at. Maybe some of the others like Condensation, who's posted a lot but hasn't said a lot. (Like... oh wait, that's like me.)

Elkanah's being chaotic, if being different than his Monk form... he feels more like LG69 Elk. But without the Narcotics to vent his chaos into... this game has so little RNG compared to the other few games I've played with him recently. Trying to look good or somewhat-good isn't entirely NAI, as it benefits both Elims and Villagers. Turtle is seemingly keeping secrets... the voting Mist because of a connection she sees to her is interesting, but there's not a ton of use in keeping those suspicions quiet in day turns. And in the MR she managed to turn her new-player status into a weapon, so I'd put her cunning then (and therefore now) relatively high.

More to come.

Yay. Saying things is tight!

I still need to go back and figure out exactly what happened to save me. I just thought I was lynched and that was that. -_-

Narcotics was a great mechanic! It was nice to have a direction to point all my extra energy. I guess the monk role did something similar for me. This game, all I have is my PMs and I didn't make enough time to go really wild with those. Tomorrow, I'll fix that. 

2 hours ago, Illwei said:

I find you trying to point this out somewhat suspicious, because there is no reason for you to think that really because you only posted 4 times last cycle compared to Connie's 41. If anything I'd compare connie to Turtle, Mist, or Windrunner. of course, we are all more aware of ourselves than others.

As for Elk feeling like LG69, He was much more active in that game from what I remember. am I wrong? It'd be nice if he could get on, as he hasn't been on the site in (barely) over 24 hours, so If he's busy then that's different.

Not sure how I should take that answer, when I'm asking it in regards to 'should I trust you' :P. If Elk and Turtle are teamed again, then I could theoretically see Turtle as an Elim. Honestly it all depends on Elk's flip. 

I didn't really want to kill Elk initially because, well, I was originally going to PM him last night, but, I ended up not doing that. it's been a bit though and he hasn't talked much more though, so- I'm not sure how I feel.

Most of my activity from the last two games has been trying to get others to talk. This game I haven't needed to. I'm having some trouble keeping up. If the thread dies after a day or two, get ready for me to be pulling teeth as usual. It's possible I do better in slower games. 

True. The real question is: does it clear turtle if I flip village? Because I am going to flip village. I'm sure I'm going to get lynched this game, but I want you to be able to draw clear lines to who fell on what side of my lynch so we can use that to catch the eliminators.

I'm sorry. I also failed to PM as much as I had hoped. Tomorrow for sure. :)

2 hours ago, Illwei said:

Well, she made two posts in the beginning of the cycle, and then her other posts were either RP or answering game-related questions. if you see that as on-topic then she might be doing a good job as an Elim. I know that answering questions isn't really AI for her, and also the one game I had with her where she was an Elim, she was inactive the first few cycles.

Anyways- Tagging people because it is in fact halfway through the day and not even half the people have posted yet.
@Experience @Condensation @Elkanah @A Windrunner @Mist @Lord_Silberfarben @Orlok Tsubodai @Vapor @The Windrunner Supreme  @Flyingbooks42@Devotary of Spontaneity 

EDIT: reminder that there is an activity filter.

Mist really hasn't said much, has she? @Mist, Where are you?

Also a good point and thank you for the reminder.

1 hour ago, Devotary of Spontaneity said:

I'm not really sure what to say as not much has happened this cycle. I assume @Amanuensis is still suspicious of Elkanah since last night, but maybe that's not the case since Aman is now voting for someone with a vote on Elk. Still discussion about Elkanah; I wouldn't say Ventyl was the best or easiest person to swing the vote to, but if Elkanah was evil the elims would have wanted to do something about it instead of none of them voting.

@eltruT, are you actually suspicious of Mist if you're not voting for her because you think she evil? Do you have an alternative candidate if Mist isn't evil?

This is interesting. Also I'm reading you as village which never happens... so you're definitely an elim right? or maybe that's what you want me to think. :P

I don't think I agree with your point. As evidenced in the MR, I told my team to bus me. I thought I was dead this game and would have done the same thing again. I'd prefer to set up my team to win than be alive to see us lose.

1 hour ago, Illwei said:

Man, I saw Elk on a half hour ago and really hoped he was going to post something.

Idk I could always try and claim Elim to try and get people talking :P. I'll try and post my reads in a bit. 

I tried. I really did. I was writing a post.

That would certainly be something to talk about!

1 hour ago, eltruT said:

Are you asking us that? Matrim is!  

I do, but if I say who I might lose their trust (I likely already am). Also, my reasoning for thinking this person would be 'For PM reasons', which doesn't sound the most compelling. If more concrete evidence for this person appears I will tell you guys, but for now I will keep to my diabolical plans. If anyone wants a read list I can give one, but for now I need to stick to writing plans and doing homework. 

I'm starting to really wonder how cunning I am...

lol

I... see.... 

Hmmm. So we've reached an impasse

Oooh, yes please! I would like a reads list. I will provide one too after a quick break for dinner.

Praying this works

Edit: YUS!

Edited by Elkanah

8 minutes ago, Vapor said:

Sorry, had school and a ton of homework today. I'm not really suspicious of anyone right now. Has anyone voted yet?

Are you reading through right now?

Elkanah (1): Elandera
Elandera (1): Aman
Aman (1): Illwei
Illwei (1): Elkanah

Mist (1): Turtle
Turtle (1): Whysper
TJ (1): Reading
Reading (1): Araris

Edited by Illwei

2 minutes ago, Illwei said:

Are you reading through right now?

Aman (1): Illwei
Mist (1): Turtle

Unprompted vote thing!!!

Also you missed my vote, but it's okay because I had intended to move it to Turtle anyway

Illwei eltruT

11 minutes ago, Elkanah said:

Unprompted vote thing!!!

Also you missed my vote, but it's okay because I had intended to move it to Turtle anyway

Illwei eltruT

Ah well. This is sort of to be expected. I suppose I should say this before I die, even though I don't really want to and the only reasons are PM's. If I die, try to win? Unless you are slim. Then try to lose.

mist condensation 

Edited by eltruT
hahaha im so tired I can't think apparently

18 minutes ago, Elkanah said:

I don't think I agree with your point. As evidenced in the MR, I told my team to bus me. I thought I was dead this game and would have done the same thing again. I'd prefer to set up my team to win than be alive to see us lose.

Bussing you would be something, I don't think the elims would have collectively failed to vote but I could see them either putting a vote on you when it was clear you were the top suspicion or joining a vote to save you. I'd also like to echo Illwei's suggestion of copying your post frequently so you don't lose it.

25 minutes ago, Elkanah said:

Yay. Saying things is tight!

*trying to fit in with the youths*

19 minutes ago, Elkanah said:

This is really just Illwei's playstyle. He can be pretty easy to throw under the bus for this reason which makes me wonder about your alignment. Not enough to vote for you, but be warned. you have been noted

I would be more suspicious if Danex had been in that game, because of the things that Matrim pulled. I had more reasoning here but I 100% forgot it while rewriting my thoughts about elk/turtle

20 minutes ago, Elkanah said:

True. The real question is: does it clear turtle if I flip village? Because I am going to flip village. I'm sure I'm going to get lynched this game, but I want you to be able to draw clear lines to who fell on what side of my lynch so we can use that to catch the eliminators.

The reasoning I have for turtle being an Elim basically relies on you two being Elims together because of comfortableness/ability to talk about previous elim games well, and interactions in thread. I had maybe a whole paragraph written here to elaborate more on that, but I accidentally qlicked a quote instead of qlicking something to quote. so. I don't really want to rewrite all of that...

24 minutes ago, Elkanah said:

I can't speak for Turtle, but I am not on an elim team with her this time.

I mean...
"I can't speak for turtle"
so...turtle could be on an Elim team with you, but you're not on a team with her :P.

8 minutes ago, eltruT said:

Ah well. This is sort of to be expected. I suppose I should say this before I die, even though I don't really want to and the only reasons are flashbacks. If I die, try to win? Unless you are slim. Then try to lose

Agh see it's posts like this that make me doubt you!!! How am I supposed to read this? you have two votes on you and 24 hours left in the cycle ish, that doesn't mean death at all!

18 minutes ago, Elkanah said:

Unprompted vote thing!!!

Uh oh you're right. Illwei

2 minutes ago, Illwei said:

*trying to fit in with the youths*

I would be more suspicious if Danex had been in that game, because of the things that Matrim pulled. I had more reasoning here but I 100% forgot it while rewriting my thoughts about elk/turtle

The reasoning I have for turtle being an Elim basically relies on you two being Elims together because of comfortableness/ability to talk about previous elim games well, and interactions in thread. I had maybe a whole paragraph written here to elaborate more on that, but I accidentally qlicked a quote instead of qlicking something to quote. so. I don't really want to rewrite all of that...

I mean...
"I can't speak for turtle"
so...turtle could be on an Elim team with you, but you're not on a team with her :P.

Agh see it's posts like this that make me doubt you!!! How am I supposed to read this? you have two votes on you and 24 hours left in the cycle ish, that doesn't mean death at all!

Uh oh you're right. Illwei

XD

(This is my response to each line individually)

18 minutes ago, Devotary of Spontaneity said:

I'd also like to echo Illwei's suggestion of copying your post frequently so you don't lose it.

Maybe I should put this on a sticky note on my computer or something, because immediately after suggesting it, I lose my post because I didn't...

Anyways: Here's another unprompted VC. very suspicious of me, wouldn't you say? WHYSPER I TAKE BACK WHAT I SAID ABOUT ME BEING MORE LIKELY TO JOKE ABOUT BEING AN ELIM WHEN IM AN ELIM DONT LOOK TOO MUCH INTO THIS PLEASE!!!
the circle was broken
Illwei (1): Illwei
Mist (1): Elkanah
Connie (1): Turtle

Edited by Illwei
another unprompted VC

I have to go, but Illwei it feels like it means death when people decide to vote for you for elim-y things when you’re being vague. Elk, you get a upvote! (Oh and so do you Illwei) Your sense of humor is lovely, just Illwei you might want to remember to retract your vote before rollover. Unless you don’t, in which case be you.

Anyways, I wish I was on a elim team with Elk, then I could have someone to talk to without having to doubt myself. If only. 

I would give more reasoning for my vote on condensation, but it essentially stems from PM’s, and so I’m not sure how to explain it. 

Edited by eltruT

20 minutes ago, eltruT said:

Your sense of humor is lovely,

Wait is this at me or Elk this question is very important it's at Elk isn't it please come back I have a very important question turtle please

Well anyways

40 minutes ago, Elkanah said:

I don't know if a single vote has ever given me so much information

37 minutes ago, Elkanah said:

I'm just making sure it's not fruit from the poisonous tree for a minute before I explain.

What the heck are these on about