The Art of Game Creation

Metacognition

• 3 weeks later...

This will probably end up being my LG, so all advice is appreciated :)

Basics:

-Cycles are 47 (day)/23 (night) hours long. Turn will end at 7 PM EST. Next turn will be posted at 8 PM EST.

-PMs are not allowed.
-This game is role madness.
-This game is a 5 faction game.
-Make votes in red, retract votes in green.
-If you do not post or put in actions for 4 cycles without explanation, you will die in a humiliating way.
-Votes are cast during the day.
-Actions are put in during the night.

Factions:

Win condition: Kill everyone who is not a member of your faction. Every faction has a Google doc.

-Venture
-Hasting
-Elariel
-Tekiel
-Lekal

Roles:

Every player has a social role and some players also get an allomantic role.

Social Roles:
-Gossip: Every cycle you discover the alignment of a random player. This is a passive ability.
-Informant: Every cycle you discover the role of a random player. This is a passive ability.
-Well Connected: You have one vote taken off you. This is a passive ability.
-Orator: Your vote counts as 2 votes. This is a passive ability.
-Secretive: You can put in your vote via GM PM. This is a passive ability.
-Shy: Each cycle you can send an anonymous note to a player of your choice. This is an active ability.
-Romantic: You start the game with a PM with another romantic. Neither of you can put in any actions that target the other romantic. This is a passive ability.
-Underground Contacts: A random player that targets you is roleblocked for the next cycle. This is a passive ability.

Allomantic Roles:
-Mistborn: You can use every allomantic power once. This is an active ability.
-Coinshot: Each cycle you can kill a player of your choice. This is an active ability.
-Lurcher: Each cycle you can protect a player of your choice. This is an active ability.
-Thug: You can survive one kill attempt. This is a passive ability.
-Tineye: You can create PMs with other players (group PMs are not allowed) (GM must be included in all PMs). This is an active ability.
-Rioter: You can change a player’s vote (using this ability cancels your own vote). This is an active ability.
-Soother: You can cancel one vote. This is an active ability.
-Seeker: Each cycle you can discover the role and alignment of a player of your choice. This is an active ability.
-Smoker: You are immune to seeking, soothing, and rioting. This is a passive ability.

Balls:

Balls happen every even cycle. During the ball, players can talk in group PMs. Players will decide what group PM they will be in during the ball the next cycle on odd cycles. Players who do not decide on a group PM will be placed in the group PM with the fewest members. As the number of players decreases, so does the number of PMs. During a ball there will be 5 group PMs:

-Entrance. (25+ players)
-Dining Hall. (20+ players)
-Dance Floor. (15+ players)
-Balconies. (10+ players)
-Great Hall. (5+ players)

Extra:

-In order to ensure fair distribution, I will use a point system:

-Player = +20
 -Mistborn = +17
 -Coinshot = +17
 -Thug = +13
 -Lurcher = +15
 -Seeker = +14
 -Underground Contacts = +12
 -Tineye = +12
 -Smoker = +12
 -Orator = +12
 -Well Connected = +11
 -Rioter = +10
 -Soother = +9
 -Gossip = +9
 -Informant = +9
 -Secretive = +8
 -Romantic = +5
 -Shy = +3
 -Example: Underground Contacts/Mistborn, Secretive = Shy, Romantic, Gossip = Informant/Tineye, Romantic/Thug
-Every third cycle, the faction with the least members will gain an allomantic power

Edited by Straw

Looks cool @Straw!

a few comments:

"Smelly": I'd come up with a different name, this one doesn't seem to fit the theme... :P perhaps something like "underground connections"? Also, what do you mean by "role blocked for 1 cycle?" Does their action still go through but then they're Role blocked next cycle? Or does their action against you fail this cycle? I like the first option, the second seems broken powerful.

I'm pretty sure Pewter should be a passive ability, not an active one. 

Room/Group PMs: speaking from experience, you'll want a mechanic that reduces the number of group PMs there are as the number of players dwindles. Otherwise you'll end up with group PMs with only 1 or 2 people. 

Overall: faction games are notoriously hard to balance, but I really like this one. I do worry about how you're going to divide the roles among the different factions in a way that's balanced. For example, the Coinshot is far and away the most powerful role, and in a 5-faction game like this the House(s) with a Coinshot get a huge advantage over the other houses. 

Also, you might want to consider working in a "comeback" mechanic for Houses that lose members early in the game. A house that loses 1 or 2 members early on can be significantly disadvantaged. I suggest this:

Create an NPC character- we'll call him Kelsier- that is a faction-neutral Mistborn for hire. Each cycle (or every other cycle, or however you want to manage it), the House with the fewest number of living members can hire Kelsier to perform 1 allomamtic power of their choice to help them this cycle. 

But all in all, it looks great! It will be a fun one to play!

40 minutes ago, randuir said:

Hmmm, yes, I can see now how that would work, and how it can lead to some interesting agreements and betrayals

My favourite is the betrayals part :D especially when it's the faction you had an alliance with you're betraying

42 minutes ago, randuir said:

("Hey if you all promise not to vote on Amanuensis, we promise not to vote on Lopen").

(Then they go ahead and group vote on lopen in the last five seconds of the cycle)

10 minutes ago, _Stick_ said:

My favourite is the betrayals part :D especially when it's the faction you had an alliance with you're betraying

(Then they go ahead and group vote on lopen in the last five seconds of the cycle)

I think the betrayals would be @Elenion's favorite part too. :ph34r:

Just kidding, Len. 

6 hours ago, Jondesu said:

I think the betrayals would be @Elenion's favorite part too. :ph34r:

6 hours ago, _Stick_ said:

coughLG29cough 

5 hours ago, Jondesu said:

MR17

Just kidding, Len. 

Ah, the days back when I had that playstyle. To be fair, I've been backstabbed myself; Lopen in LG24 killed me despite me being in his faction and him being immune to all of my actions if I was evil.

3 hours ago, Elenion said:

Ah, the days back when I had that playstyle. To be fair, I've been backstabbed myself; Lopen in LG24 killed me despite me being in his faction and him being immune to all of my actions if I was evil.

Given that you were the one that wanted to kill Lopen first, I think it was fair that he killed you.  You wanted him dead almost as soon as you joined us. :P 

2 hours ago, Alvron said:

Given that you were the one that wanted to kill Lopen first, I think it was fair that he killed you.  You wanted him dead almost as soon as you joined us. :P 

After reading many of the SE, it often seems like someone wants lopen dead fairly early on. 

57 minutes ago, TheMightyLopen said:

I knew it! It seemed like that to me too, I just didn't go back through to confirm that. :P

And yeah, I feel no remorse for killing you in LG24 Len. :P

We only want you dead so often because we care about you, Lopen. We don't want you worrying yourself over trivial things like who should live and who should die. Who needs that kind of stress? :D

...Plus you can be scary when evil. I should know; we've been elims together. 

Edited by Metacognition