The Art of Game Creation

Metacognition

15 hours ago, Drake Marshall said:

Lol well thank you. The game rules still needs some work (and I need to flesh out all the different epic powers :)) but it should be interesting.

Also. Question: Do you think it could work to let players use a weakness to kill someone as a day kill? To clarify, that would mean if you knew so-and-so's weakness, you could make a public post in the main thread announcing that you have killed them, with their weakness listed in the post. That player is effectively dead after the post is made. At the end of the cycle, the GM would confirm the death and reveal the dead person's alignment. Or, if you got their weakness wrong, the target player would be announced to actually be alive, and the one who tried to kill them would instead die.

FWIW, if it was me, I would have each different weakness include a different method for killing the epic- and yes, I would roll the weakness and the kill into one, just to simplify things. For example, one epic might have the weakness that if 3 other players RP'd that they threw a pineapple at her in the same day cycle then she would die immediately upon the 3rd pineapple being thrown. Another epic might have the weakness that if someone created a PM that included everyone in the game EXCEPT the epic, then he would die at the end of the cycle. 

Those were just off the top of my head. Obviously you'd have to create some sort of power/method for finding out weaknesses. That or somehow make weaknesses that players could figure out through the course of the game, but that would be hard. 

1 hour ago, Herowannabe said:

FWIW, if it was me, I would have each different weakness include a different method for killing the epic- and yes, I would roll the weakness and the kill into one, just to simplify things. For example, one epic might have the weakness that if 3 other players RP'd that they threw a pineapple at her in the same day cycle then she would die immediately upon the 3rd pineapple being thrown. Another epic might have the weakness that if someone created a PM that included everyone in the game EXCEPT the epic, then he would die at the end of the cycle. 

Those were just off the top of my head. Obviously you'd have to create some sort of power/method for finding out weaknesses. That or somehow make weaknesses that players could figure out through the course of the game, but that would be hard. 

I like this line of thinking. Situational weaknesses. Although, given that weaknesses are probably going to be pretty challenging to discover, I think that it might make sense to let each weakness only require one player to effectively exploit.

As for making a power to find weaknesses or making weaknesses discoverable in-game by other means somehow... I intend to do both of those, if I can. The power to learn weaknesses would be one of the possible abilities a non-epic player could receive. That power wouldn't give you the weakness outright, but it would give a significant edge.

I actually have been working for awhile on a Reckoner's game that makes Weaknesses a highlight, kind of what you're talking about @Drake Marshall. If you like, we could Co-GM it (since I have a basic foundation laid down, but there's still plenty of stuff that needs to be done). I was working on it with Gamma, but as you can tell, Gamma hasn't been around in awhile. :P If you're interested, I could send you a link to the Doc where I was working on it and we could build it together rather than us both running a similar game in the future. :) 

Today I was granted a vision of a wonderful elimination game: THE PRINCESS BRIDE (aka best movie ever). Featuring all your favorite characters, including: Inigo Montoya! The Man in Black! Princess Buttercup! The 6 fingered count! A Sicilian! And more!

The elims have access to the PIT OF DESPAIR. It take two turns to be completely dead in the PIT OF DESPAIR, but when you're mostly dead, you can't do anything. Unless miracle max saves you, that is :D

I will figure out how to balance this game later. It is inconceivable that anyone would NOT want to play this game 

Ok i have hashed out the General rules. I would LOVE to GM this game. 

Villagers: kill all of the Prince's Guards  (including the Prince and the Count) also known as Robert's Pirates. 

Man in Black (villager role): win condition- survive with Buttercup. Night kill. 

The Spaniard: (villager role): win condition- kill the 6 fingered Count. Each night can scan a player to see if they have 6 fingers. 

The Giant: (village role) invincible to lynch. NOT invincible to Pit of Despair or MiB kill. 

Buttercup- (village role)  win condition- survive with MiB. Night action block ability? 

Neutral- Miracle Max- win condition: Prince Humperdink must die. Has 3 chocolate covered life- saving pills. Can give them away for someone else to use. Can administer during day or night to a "mostly dead person." Is open to bribery by money or righteous causes:P

Prince Humperdinks men:

Prince Humperdink- win condition- kill the Man in Black

The Count- win condition- kill the Spaniard

Prince's Guards- kill all villagers to put down the rebellion. 

Guards and Count and Prince are all in Elim doc and can choose a person each night turn to stick in the Pit of Despair. 

Dying takes 2 turns. When you are killed, you become "mostly dead" for the following turn. So if lynched, it would take until the beginning of the next day turn to be "completely dead". anyone with a chocolate pill (acquired from Miracle Max) can revive a "mostly dead" player. Alignment is not revealed until "completely dead."

Oh and a player, instead of taking an action during the night turn, can create a permanent PM. 

Edited by The Flash

2 minutes ago, The Flash said:

So. What would i have to do to run this game? It's non-Sanderson, and it would probably end up being a long game. 

Contact one of the sub-forum moderators ( Alvron, metacognition and little wilson iirc). There's a number of players that can authorize a non-sanderson game, you should check the aftermath of ag3 for the list.

Also, I assume a person can still post, vote and PM while mostly dead, or not?

1 minute ago, randuir said:

Contact one of the sub-forum moderators ( Alvron, metacognition and little wilson iirc). There's a number of players that can authorize a non-sanderson game, you should check the aftermath of ag3 for the list.

Also, I assume a person can still post, vote and PM while mostly dead, or not?

No. They're functionally dead. They do get a special Doc though:D

2 hours ago, The Flash said:

Villagers: kill all of the Prince's Guards  (including the Prince and the Count) also known as Robert's Pirates. 

Man in Black (villager role): win condition- survive with Buttercup. Night kill. 

The Spaniard: (villager role): win condition- kill the 6 fingered Count. Each night can scan a player to see if they have 6 fingers. 

The Giant: (village role) invincible to lynch. NOT invincible to Pit of Despair or MiB kill. 

Buttercup- (village role)  win condition- survive with MiB. Night action block ability? 

Neutral- Miracle Max- win condition: Prince Humperdink must die. Has 3 chocolate covered life- saving pills. Can give them away for someone else to use. Can administer during day or night to a "mostly dead person." Is open to bribery by money or righteous causes:P

Prince Humperdinks men:

Guards and Count and Prince are all in Elim doc and can choose a person each night turn to stick in the Pit of Despair. 

Dying takes 2 turns. When you are killed, you become "mostly dead" for the following turn. So if lynched, it would take until the beginning of the next day turn to be "completely dead". anyone with a chocolate pill (acquired from Miracle Max) can revive a "mostly dead" player. Alignment is not revealed until "completely dead."

Oh and a player, instead of taking an action during the night turn, can create a permanent PM. 

So would a Spaniard who kills the Count win regardless of if the village or Prince wins, or since he is a village role does he have two win cons?

2 minutes ago, cloudjumper said:

So would a Spaniard who kills the Count win regardless of if the village or Prince wins, or since he is a village role does he have two win cons?

yes he would win, regardless of whether the elims won or not. However, his group win condition asks that he also try to defeat the elims as a whole. But the largest goal for the Spaniard would be finding the Count. 

Just now, The Flash said:

yes he would win, regardless of whether the elims won or not. However, his group win condition asks that he also try to defeat the elims as a whole. But the largest goal for the Spaniard would be finding the Count. 

So he could win with either win cons?

59 minutes ago, Straw said:

Hey Flash, have you ever heard of the lovers role? I think it could work well with MiB and Buttercup. Basically, they get a PM with each other, but if one dies, the other also dies.

Yes I was actually thinking of something along those lines, and I think that might work well... So Prince Humperdink could get his win condition if either one dies. But that PM might have to transcend being mostly dead. Hm. The power of love :P

1 hour ago, BrightnessRadiant said:

@The Flash seriously this is one of my favorite ideas for a game I've ever heard! People with the power please choose this! lol :lol:

I quickly looked it up, and the winners of the contest that allows them to pick a non-sanderson game are @Wyrmhero, @Madagascar and @Sart. I believe Madagascar has already made her choice (the MLP game was her choice, I believe), but he others can still greenlight one.

12 minutes ago, randuir said:

I quickly looked it up, and the winners of the contest that allows them to pick a non-sanderson game are @Wyrmhero, @Madagascar and @Sart. I believe Madagascar has already made her choice (the MLP game was her choice, I believe), but he others can still greenlight one.

Ok so sart and wyrmhero haven't chosen one. That's what I was looking for, thanks. @Sart I saw you hanging about earlier. Would you be willing to give my idea the green light? Please? :D

15 minutes ago, randuir said:

You're always helping me out when I'm lazy...you're a true friend lol :lol: :P

On 6/29/2017 at 8:56 AM, The Flash said:

Prince Humperdinks men:

Denying a Princess Bride game would be... Inconceivable!
By the power vested in me by winning the cosmetic role achievement, I hear by grant you permission to run your game.

2 hours ago, Sart said:

By the power vested in me by winning the cosmetic role achievement, I hear by grant you permission to run your game.

:lol:!!!!! This is a happy day! @SartMajor coolness level achieved! :P @The Flash nice one! 

@Ecthelion III and @Elithanathile aka (Prince Humperdinck and Wesley) did you hear the news ;)

2 hours ago, Sart said:

I recognize and verify this. Congrats Flash as the 2nd Non-Sanderson game to be approved! 

@BrightnessRadiant I have now! That's awesome! Sounds really fun, Flash! I don't have cosmetic role powers, but it gets a thumbs up from me at least.

And BR, does that make me Wesley? I did have the sword in MR22 for it. It's probably still in my attic somewhere...

And a question. If Miracle Max gets lynched/PoD'd, can he use the pill on himself?

Edited by Elithanathile