Heirs to the Final Empire: Roleplaying Thread

Wyrmhero

So, there are 19 (I believe) players as of the conclusion of Generation 2.  I presume the accused cannot vote for themselves. This means we need 12 votes to achieve a 2/3rds majority. Given what I know of the various alliances that have formed, that Vinid and Erikell might get 1/3 voting would not surprise me. Of the 6 that would not need to vote, one of those who will not be voting is Vinid/Erikell (they won't be voting against each other). So that's 5 votes we can afford to not have. And we have a couple of players that might tend towards inactivity (afaik). So better yet, don't just leave it to people to check this thread, start warming up those PM's and make sure everyone starts gearing back up for the game. 

Edited by Haelbarde

Does someone want to explain how the voting works again (like where we do it, and what the format is)?  I've had fun following along with this interlude, but am unsure of some of the technicalities.  Do we just send the vote into Wyrm in PM, with the names of the people we feel are guilty?

I just did three MBI posts, so I'm a little RP'd out at the moment, but I'll try to get up an Elariel reaction to things tomorrow.  If it doesn't happen, it wouldn't have much bearing on the game, since they've been more observational of this conflict anyways.  

EDIT:  Also, I have verbal in person confirmation from CraigJohn (who plays Jessica Sarasvati) that he will no longer be participating in the game (apparently he bit off more than he can chew), so that's one less vote.

Does someone want to explain how the voting works again (like where we do it, and what the format is)?  I've had fun following along with this interlude, but am unsure of some of the technicalities.  Do we just send the vote into Wyrm in PM, with the names of the people we feel are guilty?

AFAIK, it's just sending a PM to Wyrm with your votes. That is all I have done.

Valerie Elariel watched from the gallery at her father's side as the trial came to a close.  One by one, the elite of Luthadel were making their way to the Lord Ruler's representatives to cast their votes and determine the guilt of those stood accused of crimes against the empire.  Though Elariel had kept itself removed from the conflict, the trial had been the talk of the town for many months now, and Valerie had spent many of the afternoons since returning from her honeymoon watching the proceedings with her new husband or with her father.  

"How curious that House Vinid and House Erikell are not stepping in to defend themselves, or their leaders."  Lady Wilson, Lord Tekiel, and Lord Zerrung had laid a compelling case against the former accusors, and neither Lord Vinid nor Lord Erikell had offered any form of defense.  "Do you think their silence will condemn them in the eyes of their peers?"  

Valerie's father, Lord Mikhail Elariel, smirked to himself, as if laughing at a private joke.  "You assume dear, that the votes will have anything to do with the case at hand."

Valerie nodded thoughtfully.  "You think people will vote along political lines: shielding their allies and accusing their enemies.  But what about the truth of what happened?  Even if they survive this mess, how do Houses Vinid and Erikell expect to gain influence in the future if they do not at least deny the allegations that have been made against them?"  

Mikhail Elariel made a dismissive motion with his hand.  After allegations that High Prelan Benedict's former ties to their house might unduly bias him, Valerie's father had made a point of staying away from the proceedings, lest his interest fuel undue speculation.  Looking up at the dais, it was hard for Valerie to imagine anything biasing the High Prelan.  Years spent in service of the Lord Ruler had changed him, made him hard and cold.  He barely seemed human.  Comparing him to her kind-hearted father was like comparing night and day; and had she not been told she could have never guessed they were related.  

One thing was clear.   While the lords and ladies in Luthadel might be influenced by political agendas, the High Prelan was only interested in seeing that justice was done, and Valerie had a feeling that the sort of Justice High Prelan Benedict desired was the kind that involved an obsidian axe and a great deal of blood.  

"Their fates are all sealed in any course," Mikhail was saying.  "The most powerful truth is not what actually happened, but what the most people desire to be true.  If Cladent and Appolonius do not have the support to get through this ordeal without defending themselves, then they wouldn't be able to last long after this trial anyways.  The Lord Ruler has no tolerance for weakness.  Whether he expunges it by inciting House Wars or by holding trials is of little consequence.  The stronger parties will win today, and the weaker ones will lose."  

Something going on down below drew Valerie's attention.  It would seem that the time for voting had almost come to a close.  "So, how are you going to vote, father?"  

Mikhail smiled.  "Weren't you paying attention dear?  I will vote for what I think is true, naturally."  

Lord Queade took a sheaf of paper, an inkwell and a pen, and quickly scratched out a few words. The end of his duelling cane tapped the stone floor, attracting a servant.

"Hand this in, will you," he said amiably, grinning. The manservant nodded, taking the page and scurrying towards the representatives.

Tyren laid the duelling cane across his knee's once more, leaning forward. The truth was, he hadn't been paying much attention. The trial was important -obviously- and he had scribes taking notes to be pursued and filed later. But, really, the crime wasn't the most important part of the proceedings. 

People thought Tyren was an idiot. It was an image he liked to project. People were less likely to pay attention to idiots. 

They paid attention to the people who stood in the middle of the room and made big, grand speeches about conspiracies. They listened to the people who had all the documentation of the political machinations of the nobility of the Final Empire. They paid attention to the people who tipped their hands, and let everyone know just who it was that had their hands in every pocket.

Tyren grinned, and awaited judgement.

medium.jpg

...No, but seriously. Sorry for not being the most... active this week. Or, months.

...I kind of got distracted with stuffs. Sorry!

Edited by Quiver

Generation 4: The Inquisition

Turn 1

The Lord Prelan leafed slowly through the letters stacked on his desk, each sealed away with a wax mark of a Great House. One by one, the seal was broken, the tally marked down, and the letter burned. He did this while the court was in session, and seemed to be somewhat pleased by the stares following his hands as they meticulously and deliberately went through each in turn. No-one spoke; even to a Tineye, all that could be heard was the unfolding of paper.

The dropping of his pen on the desk was louder than his gavel could ever be. A sense of finality rang through the room as every eye followed its movement. Benedict took a moment to study the tally, then looked at them all.

"This trial has been a disappointing chapter in our history," he stated. "No matter which side is truthful, or at the very least is the most truthful, the fact of the matter is that there were plots raised against the very foundations of our Empire. I could only be more disappointed if it was decided that no wrongs had occurred. Thankfully, that situation has been avoided."

"This trial was primarily to decide the guilt of the parties involved, but on a wider scale, it was decided that this should examine the capability for the nobility of the Final Empire to hold themselves accountable for failures and treasonous activities. I am disappointed to say that, for the most part, it seems people did not care about the strength of The Lord Ruler's domain. So many unable to make up their minds, or even to muster up the strength to care, it seems."

"A verdict could not be reached for House Farrsolin. Though personally, I agree with one of you that they are guilty of stupidity and arrogance, to be drawn into such a plot and believe it could be carried out without consequence. Still, we must follow the proceedings of the court. As such, I cannot punish them for this, though what the world outside of this room - especially those not within this room - do about this is another matter. At the very least, I hope it does not involve an assault on their keep by an army."

"The same is true for Zerrung, though to a lesser degree  and in the other direction. However, as with House Orielle, a verdict could not be reached. I shall therefore treat them as I have treated Farrsolin, in the interests of fairness. Once again, others may make their own conclusions outside of this room. At the very least, I doubt any of these people will find many friends in the near future."

"For Houses Erikell and Vinid, however, we have a more solid conclusion. But even then, when guilt is in effect unanimous... Still some could not make up their minds. I am disappointed by this, when the case is apparently so easy for others to decide on. A full quarter of those assembled simply did not care."

"Still, they have been found guilty," Benedict continued. "Considering they did not particularly see an interest in their own trial, this is not too surprising. They will be dragged from their keeps and brought out to face execution. It goes without saying that Vinid shall no longer be allowed to command the armies of The Final Empire."

He waited for the crowd to quieten down again, for the verdict had caused quiet discussion to spring up again. He tapped on the desk with his gavel again when he grew tired of waiting.

"As Lord Quiver will no doubt be able to attest, we often see lesser nobles overcome by lust or greed, enough to break the laws that have been set before them to protect The Empire. But these trials, alongside the trial of Lady Tormander a century ago, show that crimes are committed against The Lord Ruler's reign by even the Great Houses. Asking their peers to bring them to justice has also been shown to be questionable, considering some attempted to pervert the cause of this justice for personal gain."

"The investigation and punishment of crimes this serious shall be turned over to the Steel Ministry," Benedict said. "The Lord Ruler desires the creation of a Canton of Inquisition for this purpose, filled with the strongest and most faithful of Allomancers. They shall root out the seeds of corruption before they develop into concerns and threats against us. I trust you will aid them in these endeavours."

Generation 4, Turn 1 has begun! It will end on October the 10th, at 6PM BST.

It's that moment you've been waiting for - The Canton of Inquisition has been founded. Still in its infancy, the Inquisition is not yet the terrifying, almost mythical beast we know of by the time of Vin and friends. Their purview is over crimes that cut right to the heart of the Empire - Treasonous plots and siring children with skaa.

If you wish to donate to such a good cause, then you must donate to the Steel Ministry as a whole. If they like what you're offering, they may take it instead.  

House Vinid is no longer in command of TLR's armies!

Want to arrange a marriage - Why not ask House Wilson for help?

Improved efficiencies in the Empire now means that the first two Properties, in addition to your Keep, now no longer cost Upkeep.

In the interests of increasing sales, The Canton of Resource has lowered the price of atium to 5 Wealth per bead.

Generation 4 Player List

1. little wilson - Tamsa Wilson
  2. Gamma Fiend - Grace Urbain
  3. Unodus - Guadium Uethorn
  4. Adamir - Regnus Farrsolin
  5. Blank Fate - Daresso Artorius
  6. Venture Mistborn - Vin Orielle
  7. Orlok - Nienna Tekiel
  8. Comatose - Valerie Elariel
  9. Aonar Faileas - Bronwyn Izenry
  10. Quiver - Senna Queade
  11. wblk - Den Wair
  12. phattemer - Dis Erikell
  13. Araris Valerian - An Penrod
  14. Renegade - Elden Garde
  15. Shallan - Vinda Vinid
  16. Haelbarde - Gracia Heatherlocke
  17. Mailiw73 - Rasdon Zerrung
  18. The Crooked Warden - Tacitus Protegat
  19. Kasimir - Kyrus Heron
  20. RadiantRaven7 - Ryna Ravir
  21. Winter Cloud - Cleo Venture
  22. IrulelikeSTINK - Leyton Domos
  23. TheMightyLopen - Owain Nohr

PMs will be sent out shortly.

Edited by Wyrmhero

Lady Cleo Venture of Luthadel stood on one of her outdoor balconies, flanked by a squadron of her guards. She stood, back straight, confident. Her eyes were icy blue. They passed over each of the guards and they stood a little straighter when she gave them a little nod. She was cloaked in a long violet and grey gown. It fell down past her feet, which she wore high heels on. They were red.

The heels, she meant.

The dress was cut in folds. It hung loose. When she moved, the dress moved. It swayed in the wind. 

Lady Cleo walked down into the Keep Venture and out the front door into the main square. 

"I would apply to take command of the armies. Although there has been some errors in discipline for the military, I do believe that I could sharpen it back into well shape. Please take this gift along with my petition, whether or not it is accepted.

Who- Lady Cleo (#XII.V)

What- Applying for Stewardship over the Military 

Where - Luthadel

When- 3rd Action Period

Why- To make certain it maintains polish and control. Also to strengthen Venture's Military and raise MP by Venture's personal troops training with the general military. General military would also be permitted on any Venture training property. 
EDIT: Also give the Lord Ruler 2 Wealth with my petition. 

Edited by Winter Cloud

Lord Owain Nohr leaned against a window overlooking Keep Nohr, thinking about the role he would play in this, The Final Empire.

Lord Owain Nohr. A man of power. I may not have as much power or respect as some of my peers, but I know I can make a difference with my position as House Lord in The Final Empire.

I can help change things for the better! Not just for me and my House, but for all! I may not have a big enough influence to have as large an effect as I would like, but whatever power I do have, I must use it for good. I cannot squander it by using it purely for my own personal gain! I cannot succumb to the temptations of greed and power as so many have before me. To do so would not only be a betrayal to my own personal beliefs, but also to The Lord Ruler who has so graciously allowed me a place in his Empire. I will not, cannot, fail him! It is my duty to further expand and improve his infinite rule.

Who: Lord Owain Nohr
What: Building a hospital
Where: Fadrex
When: Action 1
Why: To help improve general health and to gain respect.

Edited by TheMightyLopen

Chalk up another on my tab; I don't have the time or energy to RP at the moment. I'll pay it back eventually along with the Aniketos and Anaximander RPs I've yet to finish in the set of ten.

Action One:

•Who? - Kyrus Heron in his capacity as Steward of Tremredare.

•What? - Kyrus Heron is going to upgrade the marketplace of Tremredare.

•Where? - Within Tremredare.

•When? - This is my first action for the Turn.

•Why? - Kyrus hopes that by upgrading the marketplace, he can better facilitate/stimulate commercial activity within Tremredare.

Edited by Kasimir

Fellise wasn't that impressive. But that was the case with many of the greatest establishments when they first began. According to the history of the Final Empire, written by An's ancestor Hadrian Penrod, many of the heads that began their houses were average people with no Allomancy. Well, Hadrian had also been one of those with little to his name save for an exceptional talent at writing books, and now House Penrod controlled a whole city. The first step to a strong city was strong workers, and An could clearly see that the soup kitchens were insufficient for supporting a healthy work force.

"Wol! I want us to dedicate a significant portion of our dairy production towards the skaa soup kitchens. Notify taskmasters around the city that any skaa that is seen working with extra diligence is to be given an extra meal token for their services. House Penrod can supplement any extra costs that the kitchens incur with its own funds. Additionally, I would like to impose a regulation that every noble house must eat a single meal each day from one of the kitchens it funds, with food of the same quality that the skaa are given. Any caught breaking this regulation will be forced to provide funding for all of the soup kitchens for the next month."

The owlish faced scribe finished scribbling the last of the orders down and then presented them to An for her seal. Wol was a skaa, in the tradition of House Penrod. His mother had been educated in her letters through the mandatory schooling all Penrod skaa went through, but she hadn't quite gotten her spelling down. Wol, determined not to have his own children share a similar fate, had pursued his education to its limits, and as a result had been the obvious choice for An to pick as her scribe.

"Anything else, mi'lady?" Wol placed the sealed orders within his pocket and prepared to leave the room.

"Not yet. Let us give these changes a while, and see how the skaa react."

After Wol left, An wandered to her chambers at the top of House Penrod's residence in Fellise. This building shared very little resemblance with Keep Penrod, instead reflecting the Ministry buildings of Luthadel in its austerity and practicality. Running a city was taxing work, and after all the day to day paperwork, figuring out the next steps to take in the city's improvement had used up most of the remaining daylight. Through the open window in her bedchambers, mist began to curl and gather on the floor. Time to unwind.

Hopefully I have some time for a bit more RP later this turn.

Action 1

Who: An Penrod, as House Lady

What: Ordering a complete restructuring of the soup kitchen system (with more healthy soup, more choices, better organized kitchens and incentives for skaa that work harder) in Fellise and setting aside a shipment of milk every Turn 2 to put towards the feeding of Fellise workers

Why: To increase Happiness, Productivity, Health and Order within Fellise

Where: All across Fellise

Action 2

Who: An Penrod

What: Building a well organized and maintained sewer system in Fellise

Why: To increase Health, Order and maybe prosperity

When:  Action 2

Where: Fellise

Note: I am willing to spend up to 15 wealth on these upgrades combined, whatever that will get me

Edited by Araris Valerian

Lord Leyton Domos sat in his office contemplating what to do now that he had been officially recognized as a House.

Everyone knew that information was key to everything, and that without many people would make mistakes.

He sent out some letters to other houses, and vowed that he would eventually message all other houses.

​But what to do? There are so many options available but none that really stand out.

One of his assistants then came into the room, announcing " Message for Lord Leyton!". Leyton had a moment of inspiration then and realized that with the Skaa doing so much, maybe some of them need to learn a few things. Now he needed to write a response however...

Who? Lord Leyton Domos

What? House Domos will be educating Skaa

Where? Wherever Skaa that are working for House Domos are. 

When? This is my first action for the turn

Why? Leyton hopes to improve the efficiency of his Skaa. 

Backdated:

Anaximander Heron #4: Heat of the Moment

There were many things she shouldn’t have done. She shouldn’t have gone straight from Aldan’s party, with the heat still in her blood. Curling, prickling, pressing tight against her skin. There were days this skin, this body felt too small for her. Too different. She felt it in her bones.

Wystan had taught her many things. Fighting in the alleys and slums and illicit rings in the underbelly of Luthadel had taught her other things. Things like that if you went out looking for a fight, you got one. And sometimes, if you kept going on, kept fighting, one day, you wouldn’t come home.

Nax wasn’t sure how she felt about that. She neatly placed it aside, with the many things she didn’t think about. Trickle of blood from the corner of Len’s mouth…”Get that off my floor,” Aldan had said, crisply. It was, of course, an inconvenience, more than anything else. Dirt on his floor; beneath his boots.

People who fought in a rage died in a rage. She knew that. And yet it didn’t seem to matter at all.

Perhaps she hadn’t been the only one with the fever in her blood, that night. Many of the patrons--mostly labourers, with the occasional craftsman--had been restive. When the eventual fight broke out, it had seemed more a dam breaking: a release of the inevitable.

Someone groaned. A criminal, by the looks of him. He had the knife-scars you associated with a man who lived a life of violence. Nax strode across the strewn floor of the tavern, hefting the broken stool-leg in her hand.

She barely remembered smashing the stool over the head of one man; the sound of splintering wood as a jagged leg ripped free and she clubbed the next attacker with it. Many of those on the floor had been beaten insensible; Nax foresaw many labourers showing up late, or missing work the next day.

The survivors, like her, nursed bruised knuckles, or were stealthily slipping out of the tavern before the owner returned with more hired help.

She brought the makeshift club down. The man fell silent.

Tossing it aside negligently, Nax walked out of the tavern. There was no sense in waiting for the owner and his thugs, she concluded. She hadn’t been burning tin--had, in fact, pointedly avoided doing so, in the press of the tavern brawl. She hadn’t needed the distraction that enhanced senses would’ve provided.

She hadn’t needed pewter either. Scrapes and bruises were beginning to make themselves felt. She felt a twinge of pain and rotated her shoulder experimentally. Felt like she’d pulled something there. That shoulder had never been the same since the fight last month. She’d been too greedy, Nax thought. She shouldn’t have let them offer her extra if she’d agreed to fight Thran with staves instead of bare knuckles.

It was a cool night. The mists curled, almost experimentally, around her.

She walked on. It was a long way back to Keep Heron, and the rage, the restlessness had dissolved.

It felt good. Or at least better. Violence was the opposite of burning tin; it clarified. While tin flooded you with sensory information, violence reduced everything to the primal basics and burned out that helpless rage and restlessness in a single moment of sharp, furious clarity where it was only skill, luck, and awareness that stood between her and being beaten unconscious in a tavern brawl.

Sparring Ani was different. It had always been. Ani fought in clean crisp lines; with a sort of fluid precision, always siphoning off the grace that using pewter lent him.

Noble and skaa. These two worlds were always so different, always so separate. She sometimes felt like a stranger in both of them.

Something caught her attention; she thought she heard a distant sound in the night.

Nax frowned, and burned tin. Immediately, her tin-enhanced ears caught what sounded like shattering glass. She immediately took stock: she was heading away from the slums towards the sector of the city where several noble keeps dominated the area, including…

Intuition, sharp, like glass breaking:

Shattering glass. Keep Malreaux. Len hadn’t just been a plant, he’d been getting ready for the crew to move.

Mists, Nax thought. They’d planned the job for tonight, when there was the distraction of a ball going on at Keep Malreaux and most of the guards would be drunk or at least less wary by this time of the night.

She knew what the consequences were.

Perhaps it was easier to stop caring, in the heat of the moment. Nax ran. Her metal reserves were mostly high: fortunately, she hadn’t burned anything during the tavern brawl, and tin burned relatively slowly.

She would need the metals.

Adamir here - having told my PC to cache my login details, I completely forgot them when I actually needed them. I'll be spending the next two months at a boarding school in England with a laptop rather than my usual PC, and therefore won't be able to use my own account. If you want proof, ask me about something in one of my various PMs. Also, Wyrm, I couldn't check the Shard after I had sent those anonymous actions - if they are impossible with the game setup, could you let this account know?

Now for my public action.

Action 1

Who: Lord Regnus Farrsolin

What: Buying a quarry in the Eastern Dominance Note that any stone gathered by the quarry is to be kept in storage rather than auto-sold.

Where: Eastern Dominance

Why: To have a ready supply of stone for future constructions.

EDIT: Forget this account. I just checked an earlier thread, and Chaos offered to change my original password.

Edited by I_Am_Adamir

Action 3:

Who: Lady An Penrod

What: Building a center of operations for the Steel Ministry within Fellise

Why: To increase the relationship House Penrod has with the Steel Ministry and to increase the level of Order within Fellise. Also to connect Fellise a bit more with Luthadel

Where: Fellise

When: Action 3

GENERATION 4, TURN 1

Valerie Elariel

"What do you mean the skaa are unhappy?" Valerie tried her best to keep her temper under control, reminding herself that it was not her assistant's fault that she was having an awful day, and that the Elariel skaa were apparently in danger of rebelling.

"Our investigations have uncovered several possible reasons for their dissatisfaction, food shortages being one of them. Some dissenters have been executed..."

"What?"

"The overseers saw fit to execute some of the most vocal detractors..."

Valerie shook her head in indignation. "Idiots! Why is it I must handle everything myself?" Though her assistant's expression remained professional, Valerie could tell her outburst had made him uncomfortable. "I'm sorry Miles, I know it's not your fault. My response was uncalled for. I'll read over the report, and then let you know what our plan of action is. Make sure all of the overseers know that I will not tolerate any more executions until this crisis is dealt with." While nobles liked to pretend skaa didn't matter, the fact was that the economy of the Final Empire depended on skaa. The opulence of the nobility would simply not be possible without the affordable labour the creatures provided.

"Miles," The assistant stopped in his tracks on the way out of the room, "See about making some travel arrangements for me, will you? I have a suspicion I will have to handle this one personally."

***** Months Later *****

Valerie smiled warmly at the crowd of disinterested skaa gathered in front of her. As with the other appearances she had made during the last few months, chairs had been provided so that the older and higher ranking skaa could listen in relative comfort. "Hello everyone. Thank-you for hearing me speak today." Valerie kept her speech plain and unornamented. She had brought in a skaa maid to coach her while preparing the speech to make sure it was easy to understand and didn't come across as superior. "I'm Lady Valerie, the leader of House Elariel, and I'm hear today to tell you all how pleased I am with the hard work you perform every day, and your continued loyalty to House Elariel. In recognition of your service, I have the pleasure today of announcing that under my leadership, House Elariel will be enacting a 'Families First' policy across all of our plantations and work sites. This policy will ensure that your families are not separated from one another without cause. For as long as you wish to stay together, your family will no longer be in danger of being torn apart for no good reason. I give you my personal guarantee as Head of House Elariel, that I will do everything I can to protect your families."

Over the last few months, Valerie had become used to the skaa's lack of enthusiasm as they listened to her speak. She tried her best to remain positive and compassionate as she moved into the next segment of her speech. "Next, I'd also like to tell you about House Elariel's new work opportunities program. If you are dissatisfied with the work you are currently doing for House Elariel, you can apply with your overseer to be reassigned to a new work site, in a field that you may be better suited for. Unfortunately, we will not be able to process all of your requests, but we are hoping to process as many applications as possible."

Turning to her side, Valerie nodded to the guards he stood next to the dais. "You can talk to your overseers for more information about either of these programs. And now, since you've all been so kind to welcome me here, and to listen to my little speech, I'd like to thank you personally with food from my own kitchen." As with the other groups she had spoken to, this announcement was met with some meager applause. When the clapping had died away, Valerie descended gracefully from the podium, and began shaking hands and helping to distribute food. Once the distribution was completed, she left the skaa to their meal, and then took the head overseer and Miles aside.

"Be a little gentler on them for the next week or so. If there is any talk of rebellion, have the instigators transferred permanently, and spread word that they applied for the workplace switch program. If executions need to occur, make them look like accidents. Formal executions should be cleared by me from now on, and only in extreme cases. Am I understood?" The overseer nodded, and Valerie allowed Miles to escort her back to her carriage.

"See Miles, that's how you deal with a potential rebellion."

Action:

Action 2: Improving Skaa Living Conditions (Public):

Who: Lady Valerie Elariel

What: Tours Elariel skaa tenements informing skaa population of new policy that will ensure the family units of Elariel Skaa will not be separated for reason of convenience.

Where: Luthadel, Tremredare.

When: Gen 4, Turn 1, Action 2.

Why: To improve the Skaa opinion of House Elariel, and to discourage rebellion.

Vinda Vinid sat in her study, scowling at the latest letter. Apparently yet another house was explaining why it had needed to vote her mother guilty. So far, only a few Houses had actually believed in their decision. To the rest, it was "a matter of politics" or "they couldn't afford to alienate their allies" or simply "I don't like you". Vonda didn't particularly care. She was old enough by now to realize that justice on the Final Empire was only just when the Lord Ruler of one of his own servants determined it. To the House Lords, 'justice' would be more aptly termed 'profit'. Executed. Publicly. Vinda had been forced to watch her mother's death. Although she had remained proud to the end, it had still not been a pretty sight. And now all her mother's responsibilities fell upon her head... Enough. She couldn't afford to be reminiscing while the matters at hand weren't yet completed. With a sigh, Vinda turned back to the next letter.

Tamsa Wilson read over the public missive, making sure it said everything she needed it to say. She'd been working on it all night, and she was exhausted. Changing a few words, she signed her name at the bottom and then waited for the ink to dry. She hid a yawn and shook her head to wake herself up. She couldn’t sleep yet. There was still more to do.

She'd been ecstatic when the Canton of Hegemony had granted her stewardship, but that was merely the beginning. The next step was informing the other Houses. It was one thing for them to know she was the Steward of Arranging Marriages. It was an entirely different thing for them to understand what that entailed. Her services could benefit all the nobles. Every House. The entire Final Empire. At least, that was what she believed. She knew she was a romantic at heart, an idealist and dreamer, but that didn’t mean she was wrong. The missive would help the other Houses understand and her peers were bound to ask for her help.

She checked the paper, making sure the ink was dry, and then called her manservant, Haral, in. “Take this to the scribe and have him make copies for all the Houses. I need one delivered to each House before the end of the day.” He nodded, taking the missive and leaving.

Tamsa watched him leave and then sat back down. Her mother had advanced the House in ways that Tamsa was only barely starting to understand, and she wanted to do the same while it was under her rule. That meant taking risks. She only hoped this was a risk that would pay off.

My fellow Lords and Ladies,

As you all know, I have recently been appointed to the Stewardship of Arranging Marriages. What this stewardship means is that I am here to arrange your heirs’ nuptials. If you don’t want to worry about the stress of arranging a marriage for your heir to a fellow noble Great House, I will arrange it for you, and all you need to do is accept the match. (Meaning, I will spend one of my own actions to arrange the marriage, and the next turn, Wyrm will inform you, and you can accept it without using an action.)

My marriage contracts will involved a fee to both Houses involved in the contract, paid to me. If the two Houses would like, a dowry paid by the House gaining the heir can be arranged as well. (My cost is the Standard Action Cost (4 wealth currently) + 1 wealth for an inbreed check to make sure no one inbreeds (since inbreeding incurs a penalty for the next generation). Both Houses pay this fee. The House the heir is marrying into can also arrange to pay the other House for their heir. All of these terms will be set up by me in my action to Wyrm, requiring no action cost by either House)

However, I am only able to work with Houses who have agreed to my terms, which means the Houses wishing to use my services in the future will need to sign a contract, agreeing to the above. (Using my services costs one action to agree to my terms--the fee and lack of action in accepting future contracts--and from then on out, my services are available. One action now to save at least one action every generation going forward.)

I’d like to note that as I can only arrange marriages with Houses who’ve signed to my terms, if you come to me without first talking to another House prior, I will be limited in the marriage I can arrange for your heir, though I will try to find a match for them. Therefore, it’s prefered that two Houses with an understanding come to me for arranging the marriage. (It’s easier for me to arrange the marriage of two Houses who already know they want to marry than to try to find someone, though if a House has an heir they wish to marry to another Great House but don’t know who, I will try to find someone, but I will need time and resources/knowledge (dowry amount, House AS, allomancy level of the heir, etc) to have any chance of success, and even then, it’s not guaranteed).

Preference will be given to Houses who contact me first, since I have a limited time frame to arrange marriages. (Since you have to have time to accept the marriage (which cuts out Turn 4) and we need the names of the heirs (which we don’t have Turn 1), this only leaves Turns 2 and 3 available for me to make marriages. That leaves only 6 actions maximum. Fortunately, I can make dual marriages contracts in one action, but these 6 actions will be given first come, first served. When these turns start getting booked up, I will give also give preference to Houses that haven’t used my services that generation (or in recent generations.))

Thank you for your time and I look forward to doing business with you.

Lady Tamsa Wilson

Most of the necessary information is above, but if you have any further questions about the stewardship, just ask me.

And for my action:

Who: Lady Tamsa Wilson, as House Lady

What: Buying and Upgrading a Training Yard

Where: in Urteau

Why: To increase the House Wilson military prowess and to fulfill on the promise Tamsa made to her mother about not neglecting the House military.

Edited by little wilson

Guadium lowered the telescope. On nights like this, when the mist and the ash clouds were thinnest, it was possible to make out the faint glimmer of constellations with tin-enhanced eyes. They fascinated Guadium, the overarching lights- smothered by fog. His grandfather had told stories of strange people who worshiped the stars, believing they were a divinity who minded over them. Guadium could see the stars glow, but could the stars see like the stories said through the ash and mist? What would the stars say if they could see the world now? Would they be Impressed? Appalled? Pleased? Angry? Guadium couldn't say, but the stars weren't the true reason he was out on the balcony with his telescope. In truth, he had made a hobby of using the balcony as a vantage point for his telescope- just to watch people. His reputation meant people couldn't be themselves around him, but with his telescope he could see people for who they were- could see how they worked, how they felt. Ironically, it was when he was furthest away from anyone that he felt closest to people. The stars were blind, but Guadium could see. A Fallen Star for the Final Empire. Watching, silently.

Action 3

Who? Guadium, in his capacity as House Lord

What? Trying for an heir 

When? third action

Why? Last generation, I didn't make use of the one public use of "Trying for an Heir" very efficiently. If I use it now, I won't have to put up with the pressure of whether to use it or not later x.x

An action!

Second Action:

• Who? - Lord Heatherlocke

• What? - Accepting the conditions of Wilson's contract

• Where? - Luthadel

• When? - This is my 2nd Action for the Turn.

• Why? - To open up options and increase efficiency.

Den Wair looked at the thin, withered shapes of the Skaa as they toiled on the farms. It had been a good idea to come out here, to see for himself the effect of his father's last decree.

Beside him, Olum seemed nervous. The man was in charge of the farm, and having the new House Lord appear unexpectantly for a visit had him on edge. He kept nervously wringing his hands, as if to check he still had them.

We need more guards, thought Den, that way not only can we work the Skaa harder, they'll also be less likely to cause unwanted trouble.

Action 1:

• Den Wair as House Lord
  • Committing forces to protect the outlying farms owned by House Wair, as well as preventing Skaa rebellions.