Heirs to the Final Empire: Roleplaying Thread

Wyrmhero

Lord Owain Nohr sat in his study, thinking deep thoughts about justice and other such things.

...But if he was a friend of mine, would I have been so quick to mete out punishment? Justice can only be attained if the judge is unbiased in every situation, not just when it is convenient, or when the mood strikes to be fair. Consistency is the key. And yet, I cannot be so proud that I will not admit to a mistake, if one has been made. I am but a human after all. Of course, I must take great care in my decisions as they can affect hundreds, if not thousands, of lives. Yes, if I can just...

His thoughts were interrupted by a quick knock at his door.

Must I be bothered every 5 minutes? "Enter" Owain said roughly, a little upset at having his thoughts so rudely cut off.

A man of indeterminate age carrying a large book quietly entered the room, closing the large brass doors behind him.

"Ah, Virion, my good friend and advisor, is something wrong? You know how I feel about being interrupted when I'm thinking" Owain said.

"Pardon me, my Lord, but it is quite a while past our appointed time to discuss the affairs of the House, so I came to ask if you would like to discuss matters now or if you'd like to wait until tomorrow" Virion said in a low, calm voice.

"I didn't realize that so much time had gone by" Owain said. "Now is as good a time as any I suppose."

"Very well, my Lord" Virion said as he opened his large book and began to inspect the contents. "I am very pleased to inform you that our hospital has just been completed."

"Ah, wonderful."

"There is also the matter of the message we received from Lady Tamsa Wilson pertaining to her newfound status as Stewardship of Arranged Marriages. She would like to know if you accept her terms and fee."

"Ah yes, I've heard about that. An interesting idea. Accept her contract, as it seems it will benefit House Nohr greatly."

"As you say, my Lord. We have received another message, although the delivery was quite...unique, to say the least. House Urbain is hosting a ball for all the Lords and Ladies, House Nohr included. It could be a good opportunity to mingle with the others and possibly show our wares."

"Hm, I suppose it is at that. I do need to make more contacts and a ball seems an excellent place to do just that! Hopefully I can make some good allies as well as show off a bit" Owain said with a small grin. "Anything else that needs my attention?"

"I believe that is all for today my Lord."

"Wonderful. Now, I would like to get back to my ponderous ways, if you don't mind."

"Of course, my Lord. Good day and pleasant pondering" Virion said as he shuffled out of the room.

Curious man, Owain thought as he watched the quiet man leave. I've known him all my life, but I still don't think I understand him. What makes him work as hard as he does? Ah well. I don't believe I have time for such heavy thinking at the moment. Too much to do.

Action

Who: Lord Owain Nohr
What: Agreeing to Wilson's terms as Stewardship of Arranging Marriages
When: This is my first Action
Where: Um, Keep Nohr I guess?
Why: It is an efficient way to construct marriages

Edited by TheMightyLopen

Kyrus Heron #2: Chiaroscuro

Kyrus Heron sighed as he regarded the note that had been all but nailed to the front door of Keep Heron. “And I suppose you didn’t consider stopping her?” he asked the sentry on duty, sardonically. He waved off any possibility of a reply. “Never mind.” No guardsman would have, if he valued his life, attempted to stop a House Lady (as the case was) from doing what she set her mind to.

Particularly when she was an Allomancer.

“My older sister has always been difficult to resist,” Fianna said, dryly. She eyed the spike driven into the door and tugged at it, and then raised an eyebrow. “And she always wanted to go the extra mile with the dramatics.”

Kyrus made his own attempt at removing the spike, testing it. It remained firmly driven into the door. There was no help for it then; he burned pewter and braced himself and yanked. In a rush of power, the spike ground free of the wooden door. He eyed it with distaste, thought of tossing it aside, and then thought the better of it. The door, however, was ruined.

“I never really liked that door anyway,” he said, studying the ragged hole in the wood the spike had left.

“I don’t know,” Fianna said. “It does lend our door a certain character, doesn’t it?”

Kyrus snorted. “Character is right,” he said. “Indignity might be a better term.” He slipped the invitation free of the spike that had imprisoned it and held it out to her.

Fianna took it and glanced at it. Wistfully, she said, “I haven’t attended a ball in a long time.”

“You know I wouldn’t stop you,” Kyrus replied.

“I know that,” Fianna agreed. She held the invitation, as though it were something fragile. And perhaps it was: House Urbain did not always hold balls, and this, Kyrus suspected, was one more noteworthy than most. “I haven’t spoken with Grace in a long time.”

“Were you close?”

Fianna studied the invitation. “Somewhat,” she said, at last. “Grace was always the more elegant one, the one who was preparing to become House Lady. I knew that from the beginning. She would never lose her composure; you never really knew what she was thinking. Or maybe she was that way when it was just the two of us. I used to try to annoy her, when we were younger. I just wanted to see what made her tick.” She folded up the invitation, taking care not to damage it. Her mouth twitched in an expression Kyrus could not quite make out. “I was young,” she offered.

“We all were, at some time,” Kyrus replied. He thought of his own childhood, spent at the glass workshop of Master Tormod, now aging and reaching the point at which he had decided he would retire. He thought, as well, of the distance that had sprung up between himself and Thales, except that he could simply never remember a time when he and Thales had been quite close.

They had been fire and water, or, rather, water and oil; settling apart in layers that occasionally touched but could never mingle.

“Are you going?” Fianna asked.

Kyrus shook his head. “I’ll have to see to the door,” he said. “And then I plan on making the journey to Tremredare to see how the recruitment and training efforts are going.” He offered her a nod. “You were right; the policing force is getting long in the tooth.”

And so had Thales; he remembered his younger brother rolling his eyes as he spoke of the work he did on glass with Master Tormod. He knew how to shape glass, how colour and light drew the eye, how to cast pieces of coloured glass in a frame for a work of art that would last generations, that could endure, that could speak to the essential heart of men just as much as it did to their eyes.

There were mosaics in the public squares of Tremredare that had been his work, the colours carefully selected to gleam bright even despite a faint covering of ashes.

None of that taught him how to run a city, and for all he’d learned the business of governance with his father once his apprenticeship had run its course, it struck him that he still knew terribly little.

He hadn’t a mind for numbers, for large policies that affected all the people he was supposed to be in charge of. He knew how things should be, but not how to make things work. He knew what the possibilities were, but not which were feasible.

Thales would’ve known, Kyrus thought. And perhaps Thales had been right in accusing their father of squandering time he should’ve spent learning governance on glass.

And yet…

Fianna was like Thales, in that way. She saw the bigger picture, grasped the consequences intuitively, saw what had to be done and how to do it. He never did.

“Go with me?” Fianna asked. She reached out, and took his hand.

“I should be in Tremredare,” Kyrus replied. “And I’m not overly fond of dancing.”

“You haven’t spoken to Grace either,” Fianna said.

“I’ve been busy.”

Still, he acknowledged the point.

“It’s a small indulgence,” Fianna said. “The situation in Tremredare isn’t about to boil over anytime soon, and you’ve heard the old expression about watched pots and boiling. I would like it very much if you came with me. And I’ll come with you to Tremredare.”

“Well,” Kyrus Heron said, heavily. “I suppose it doesn’t do to go without speaking to your in-laws for several years, hmm? All right then. I’ll go.” He smiled. “Let’s see if Grace knows anyone who can do something about the hole she’s put in our door…”

-

I'd like to make it clear that this is Fianna Urbain's impression of her older sister, and hopefully this should not be taken as any kind of characterisation of Grace Urbain since I mostly have your post to go off, Gamma. Any issues and I'll change things up.

Do we need an action to attend?

Do I need an action for the ball?

I swear I'm not ignoring you, I just forgot to respond >>.

No, you don't. It's basically fluff/RP. Balls happen every single day in Luthadel, so the only time actions/reactions would be required is if it is in some way unique or special.

Gaudium picked through the thicket that had taken over his forefathers personal greenhouse. Admitably, Gaudium and his mother had neglected the garden their ancestors had begun- and the potatoes Turukseed had planted had since overgrown dramatically. Only the house lord was allowed to tend the garden, by tradition, and over the years the potatoes had multiplied dramatically- spilling out onto the floor, and spreading out into the corners of the room. It amazed Gaudium how little water and sunlight the plants had needed to thrive, how much had The Lord Ruler altered the plants during his acension in order for them to survive so well? There must be a leak in the greenhouse somewhere. With a sense of resolution, Gaudium started to tidy the place- the paperwork could wait for now. He made a mental note to not let the garden slip this badly again.

Action 3

Who? Guadium, in his capacity as House Lord

What? Offering the cooperation of the 6MP I have invested in policing Luthadel to the Steel Ministry

When? third action

Why? My men have been policing the center of the Final Empire for generations, I imagine their experience- or at least the records of crimes they've collected over the years- will be of use to the Steel Ministry, should they require it. This action of goodwill is intended to show House Uethornes willingness to cooperate with the Steel Ministry in the name of exposing corruption.

Tacitus sipped wine from his goblet. He could feel his blood begin to boil, could practically hear it. How dare she! He looked at the invitation to  Urbain's ball. He had found it stuck in his door that morning, he had to use pewter to remove the blasted thing for The Lord Ruler's sake! Still, no one had been hurt and it was not as if she was threatening his House.

"Dear?" He called to his wife. 

"Yes?" She answered from their bedroom. 

"How do you feel about going to a ball?" 

"I would love to! But first, come here for one moment. I have something to show you." Her voice had gone silky smooth at that last bit and Tacitus rose an eyebrow, intrigued.

"I'm on my way," he said as he stood. 

Who: Tacitus Protegat 

What: Trying for an heir 

Where: Keep Protegat

When: G4T2A1

Why: To secure an heir for line Protegat

I'd RP, but I really just don't have the energy right now.

Action 2

Who: Tamsa and Ohwen Wilson, as a married couple

Where: Why? You have voyeuristic tendencies?

Why: To hopefully gain another child so they can form more alliances with other Houses

Male: Whyan

If I don't provide a female name, would that mean I'd automatically get a male? Does it work like that? Why are you frowning at me, Wyrm? It's a simple question.... Oh, fine. Female: Mayryl. Happy? I just want a son. Is that so much to ask? :P

RP to come

Action:

• Who? - Lord Heatherlocke

• What? - Setting up a Hospital

• Where? - Lansing City

• When? - This is my 2nd Action for the Turn.

• Why? - To improve health in Lansing City

Edited by Haelbarde

GENERATION 4, TURN 2

Valerie Elariel

Valerie looked in distaste at her surroundings.  At best, the decor and furniture were dated.  At worst, they were positively ancient.  This hotel had once been a key stone of House Elariel's business ventures.  However, as generations passed, House priorities had shifted away from the hotels as a means of producing income, and on to other ventures.  While her father had done much to advance Elariel's station and wealth in his time as House Lord, he had done little to improve the state of the Elariel hotels, leading to the scene Valerie surveyed now.  

"I don't suppose our suites are any better?"  Valerie didn't know why she was asking.  She had read the ledgers.  She knew how much Elariel money had been spent on maintaining the hotels in recent years, and it wasn't much.  

"Every room in the hotel is cleaned with the same diligence and care, Lady Elariel, and my staff has made every effort to keep our customers satisfied."  The manager hesitated, wetting her lips  nervously.  House leaders were not known for taking criticism well, a stereotype Valerie hoped to subvert.   

"Speak, Adusan.  Any criticism you have will not be punished.  I do not blame our recent decline in profits on you."  

The manager, an Elariel herself, though of low rank, relaxed visibly.  "Thank-you, Lady Elariel.  As I said, we've done our best to see that every guest is well taken care of, but, without updated facilities, there's no way we can attract higher class clientele, and . . ."

"And wealthy clients are the only ones who matter, since they are the only ones who can afford to travel.  I see your point, Adusan.  Thank-you for your honesty."  Valerie frowned, doing the math in her head, juggling sums and accounts, trying to figure out which assets she could free up to use for the renovations.  "Well then, I suppose we have no choice.  We certainly can't sell the hotels, not as they are, anyways, and as you've pointed out, they won't be producing an income much longer if we don't update them.   Coordinate with the other managers, and draw up a detailed renovation plan and budget, and wait for my approval.  In the mean time, I'll see what funds I can get together."  

Actions:

Action 2: Upgrading Elariel Hotels (Public):

Who: Lady Valerie Elariel
What: Upgrading Elariel Hotels.
Where: Luthadel, Fadrex.
When: Gen 4, Turn 2, Action 3.
Why: To increase earnings from hotels, and overall income.  

Action 1

Who: Senna Queade and her husband

Where: The bedroom. They are quite dull when it coems to that sort of thing.

Why: To hopefully gain another child so they can form more alliances with other Houses

Male: Saelm

Female: Shan

I swear I'm not ignoring you, I just forgot to respond >>.

No, you don't. It's basically fluff/RP. Balls happen every single day in Luthadel, so the only time actions/reactions would be required is if it is in some way unique or special.

I was just making sure you saw it. Sorry. 

The Turn is over! See you all in 24 hours.

...I am actually going to have to withdraw this statement.

My new computer arrived yesterday. Excitement, wow! I even booked Monday off to play through it all day.

...Except it's been problem after problem after problem. First updating to Windows 10 just massively failed, and I ended on Windows 7. Then it just perma-crashed because it tried to download and install 180 updates all at once. So, reinstall Windows, skip straight to Windows 10. This time it works (turns out there's a bug if you have anything plugged into it...), but updating my graphics card driver (I think) stops it from working.

Third time's the charm, right? I've stayed on Windows 7, and I'm updating 10 at a time. Except now, my computer won't actually turn off. If I do, it restarts instead. Thankfully it was quiet enough that I was able to sleep last night, but you can understand how stressful this is. I'm hoping it's a software bug which will be fixed, but... We'll see like all hoping, it was in vain.

Going to have to troubleshoot this for a while, and if that fails, phone up tech support and ask if they know what's going on on Monday.

But the downshot (why isn't that a word?) of this is that I really don't have as much time this weekend as I thought I did. Saturday was all this computer, Sunday is probably going to be similar, and it may even encroach on my Monday. I'm sorry to say that you're going to have to wait a week for the next Turn.

So, tl;dr: Computer problems mean Wyrm has little motivation to do anything other than try and recover some of his weekend. Play will resume and Turn 3 will begin on the 25th at 6PM BST.

Edit: For those who are interesting, my computer has to be returned so the engineers can have a look at it.

Edited by Wyrmhero

"... glad I was so proactive in determining the next steps to take with Fellise." An turned as a messenger entered the room, bearing a letter with the seal of the Steel Ministry.

"Missive for the Lady Penrod." The man deposited the letter on her desk and exited promptly.

An opened the message and began to scan its contents. "Those Ministry skaa are so boring. I suppose one advantage to providing education to our workers is that they know how to have a proper conversation whenever they pass you buy."

Wol stared at the floor with a somber expression on his face as he replied, "Whatever you say, Mi'lady." Then he gave a chuckle. "It does help to actually have a life to talk about. Not like House Wair's workers. Their Lord can't seem to grasp that he can't push anyone, even skaa, forever, and the reports of sickness and death in Wair's skaa are proof..." He trailed off as he saw the annoyed look in An's eyes. "Did I say something...?"

An sighed and crumpled the Ministry note before tossing it into the fireplace. "It's nothing you said, it's the mist-cursed Ministry. It appears some skaa decided that their brethren would be better off if the Ministry lost track of its records on the skaa population of Luthadel. But they clearly weren't from House Penrod, because they torched the rusting Canton of Finance! The Ministry has shut down operations for a month while attempting to compile copies from various archives across the Empire. No contracts can be created or modified during that time in order to preserve the integrity of Ministry records. I suppose we should collect some of our files from the Imperial Archive and send them over to the Canton building. The sooner this mess is over the faster we can fix up Fellise."

Wol nodded. "I'll travel to Luthadel myself. I suppose that I won't have too much work to do until this blows over."

-

Wol marveled at the extent of damage to the Canton building. Despite largely being constructed of stone, it appeared that much of the supporting structure had collapsed in the blaze, resulting in a total collapse of the building. A nearby skaa tenement had been commandeered until the Canton was reconstructed, and many of its residents wandered the streets aimlessly, apparently not responsible for any tasks. Wol recognized one of them and, after delivering House Penrod's files the to re-purposed skaa housing, wandered over to ask about the fire.

Gazing at the crumbled, flame gutted Canton building, Wol asked, "Pooh? Did you do that?"

Best of luck with your computer Wyrm! Those pesky uneducated skaa are always throwing wrenches into things haha.

Edited by Araris Valerian

Action 1:

House Orielle is hosting a Military Competion!

In 1 week, Houses can bring their troops to a day of friendly competitions demonstrating military strength. There will be prizes and will offer a opportunity to meet and greet. It is not a Allomancer competition!

Next cycle.

RSVP by PM to me.

Edited by Venture Mistborn