Heirs to the Final Empire: Roleplaying Thread

Wyrmhero

The Turn has ended! I will not accept any Actions anymore for it.

Edit: Would be great if I could actually do anything with this stupid internet. There may be a delay for the start of the next Cycle.

Edited by Wyrmhero

Aniketos Heron #3: Wood and Words

The clack of the wooden dummy rotating was the first thing Ani’s tin-enhanced ears picked up on as he approached the private training room. He hesitated, and then pushed the door open.

Nax did not turn or acknowledge his presence in any way.

He watched as she proceeded through a series of palm-blocks and cross-arm blocks, slipping in the occasional counter-jab and palm-strike at lightning speed. Clack, clack, went the arms of the wooden dummy as Nax moved through the sequence and then started all over again from the beginning.

Surreptitiously, Ani reached within, to the sparks of power he had begun to recognise as his metal reserves and flicked on bronze. Either Nax had her copper on--which he doubted--or she wasn’t burning pewter.

“What did that dummy do to you, anyway?” he asked, lightly.

Nax didn’t look away; the rhythm of her strikes and blocks did not vary. It was, Ani reflected, a comforting, staccato backdrop to their conversation. He wondered where she’d learned to fight like that from. He wondered if Uncle Wystan would’ve taught him if he’d grown up in Keep Heron.

Almost out of habit, he focused on that thought, burned gold. Nothing. Not a flicker.

“Nothing,” Nax finally said. “But its mother, on the other hand…”

Ani was startled into laughter. “Well, then,” he remarked. “That explains your visiting the sins of the mother upon the child.”

He heard her sigh. “Are you just here to talk to me?” Nax asked, frankly. “Because if you are, Ani, I came here to be left alone to train.”

He walked over to the weapon-rack and considered the selection. Finally, he picked up a wooden staff. “I could do some training,” Ani admitted. “Probably should too. I’m losing my edge. I did come to talk though.”

“I didn’t.”

“I know,” Ani said. “Because half the time you’re in here, working that particular dummy, going through that particular sequence, you look like you want to beat the mists out of something. And I’d really rather not it be me.”

Nax sighed. The clacking rhythm fell silent as she ended the sequence, didn’t begin it again. “You don’t need to hover, you know,” she said. “I’m fine.”

Ani shrugged. “Suit yourself,” he said. The staff was light in his hands as he whipped it idly through a basic attack-defense combination. A little ill-balanced, he thought, and made a note of it. He would have to take it up with the quartermaster later on. “I know you only come here when you feel you need to be alone. But if you’re talking to me, then I don’t think that’s what you really need.”

She considered that. “I’ll accept that,” Nax allowed. She picked up a towel. She’d been here long enough to work up a decent sweat, Ani noticed.

“Then?”

“Then what?”

“Talk.”

“Talking doesn’t help everybody.”

“Not that you’d know.”

She grimaced. “You’re not exactly a font of chatter yourself, you know.”

“We’re the most quiet family ever.”

“That we are.”

“Ani?”

“Hmm?”

“Have you heard the Lord Ruler’s latest declarations?”

He set down the staff again on the weapons rack. “Hard not to, when he’s ensured that all of Luthadel’s heard it,” he said, dryly. “So, yes, I have.” He made a face. “The Canton of Finance is making things a little touch-and-go when it comes to our banks. We’ll have to wait for the dust to settle, I suppose.” It was something he didn’t want to think about: yet another task, filling his overflowing in-tray. He desperately wished he had the energy to even think about attempting that stack. It was never going to end, was the thing. That was what being the House Lord meant.

“The Canton of Orthodoxy will be a relief,” Nax said. “If he’s starting to regulate all sorts of contractual agreements, that means penalties for those who don’t follow through. It’s been nothing formal before this; just a smirch on the House’s good name. That doesn’t mean a great deal to some.”

Ani nodded. “Having to work out where the Canton comes in is the tricky part. I suppose we’ll have it all figured out by the time the Tremredare deal is done and signed.”

“What about the skaa?”

He made a questioning sound.

“They’re supposed to be monitoring how we treat our skaa,” Nax clarified.

Ani said, “You know it isn’t new. He forbade us from coupling with skaa from the beginning. Tormander was executed and broken for it. They’re our workers, not our livestock, or our social equals. We pay them wages, feed them, house them, and they work for us. As far as I’m concerned, that’s all there is to it.”

Nax picked up her water-flask. Half of it went down her throat, slowly. The other half, she tipped over her head and sighed in relief. “I see,” she said, at last. “I’ll keep my ear to the ground for any developments.”

He nodded. “You do that, Nax.”

This bloody internet... This update is brought to you via tethering from my phone!

So, yeah. Internet still not fixed on my computer, so currently sending out rollover PMs will be a massive pain (particularly since I need to keep an eye on my phone's internet usage). I'll keep you guys updated, but I have no idea what this problem is or if/when it will be fixed. Currently it's looking like rollover may be either later in the day, or might take place tomorrow - I'll let you know.

Update: My internet is now fixed. Rollover will be occurring as usual, though bear in mind that it may take a little longer than usual.

Edited by Wyrmhero

Turn 2

Votir Zerrung closed the door behind him as he entered the Canton of Hegemony's waiting room. He was surprised to see Lord Izenry waiting there before him, reading a well-thumbed copy of a somewhat large book, but nodded politely to the man all the same. He sat down on one of the comfortable chairs, before a low-resting table. In a corner, a skaa played a gentle tune on a piano, looking rather tired. He wondered briefly if the man had to play even if there was no-one else in the room. Ah well, it wasn't as though such a thing mattered.

"...Have you been waiting long?" He asked Lord Izenry, after a while, when the ambience got a little too awkward. "Are they seeing someone else at the moment?"

"Indeed. I believe Lord Tekiel is seeing them right now," Cifan Izenry replied.

"I'm surprised that Lord Tekiel has shown his face here at all," Lord Zerrung said, smirking a little. "Has time healed that wound already? I expected House Tekiel to be in The Lord Ruler's bad books for at least another hundred years. I doubt he forgives that quickly."

"You forget that while the Steel Ministry work for him, they are not The Lord Ruler himself. They only concern themselves with the running of his Empire, not his personal vendettas."

"Bold words for someone reading one of his favourite propaganda books," Lord Zerrung commented.

Lord Izenry closed the book he was reading and put it on the table. "Sen Penrod's The Sliver of Infinity may be propaganda, but it is still an interesting history. Considering it's the official like the Canton of Orthodoxy takes, I do not think it remiss to brush up on the details, hm? Besides, it was the only thing available to read here."

Lord Zerrung snorted, but covered it up with a cough. "'The Sliver of Infinity'? Such a fanciful and overly-flattering title. Could he not have thought of something less obsequious?"

A door opened, cutting off their conversation. Lord Tekiel stepped out of the office of Lord Benedict, of no House, the High Prelan of the Canton of Hegemony. He smiled and shook the High Prelan's hand.

"Cifan Izenry," Benedict said. "I will see you now." He went back into his office, and Lord Izenry followed.

"...So what were you seeing him about?" Lord Zerrung asked. "I suppose they want to make sure you're not doing anything as stupid as your ancestors have done."

Lord Tekiel, to Zerrung's surprise, favoured him with a smile instead of a frown or an insult. "Not at all, Lord Zerrung. You are, in fact, staring gormlessly at the new Governor of Fadrex City." He smiled and started walking out, a slight spring in his step.

Lord Zerrung watched him leave. "You- To hell with you!" He said, shaking his fist angrily as the other man left. "I hope for your sake you keep a tight hold on Fadrex, because as soon as you slip up..."

"Thank you for the warning," Lord Tekiel replied. "I shall take it under consideration."

Generation 3, Turn 2 has begun! It will end at 6PM BST on the 15th of August.

Generation 3 Player List

1. little wilson - Gwynne Wilson
  2. Gamma Fiend - Gerrund Urbain
  3. Unodus - Lucy Uethorn
  4. Adamir - Anders Farrsolin
  5. Blank Fate - Doran Artorius
  6. Venture Mistborn - Rowan Orielle
  7. OrlokTsubodai - Nestor Tekiel
  8. Comatose - Benedict Elariel
  9. Aonar Faileas - Cifan Izenry
  10. Quiver - Tyren Queade
  11. wblk - Shen Wair
  12. phattemer - Apollonus Erikell
  13. Araris Valerian - Valeri Penrod
  14. Renegade - Naryan Garde
  15. Shallan - Cladent Vinid
  16. Haelbarde - Casper Heatherlocke
  17. Mailiw73 - Votir Zerrung
  18. The Crooked Warden - Octavia Protegat
  19. Kasimir - Aniketos Heron
  20. RadiantRaven7 - Ryna Ravir
  21. CraigJohn - Jessica Sarasvati

PMs will be sent shortly.

Edited by Wyrmhero

Some belated RP to go with the last turn. :P

“Ah, another wonderful morning!” Naryan smiled.  “Very exciting!”  The ebullient House Lord leapt over to his bedroom window and opened the curtains, letting in the reddish morning sunlight.  The ash fluttered through the sky, so carefree, and Naryan waved to the ash, as if it could wave back.

“Rather chipper this morning, Your Lordship,” a tall man said in the doorway.  “Especially considering that your mother just recently died.”

“Yes, yes, of natural causes,” Naryan responded, turning to look over at his butler.  “You really look on the worse side of things, Garry.  I’ll need to see that changed.”

“Of course, Your Lordship,” the butler spoke impassively.

Naryan rolled his eyes at the butler, and opened the doorway to his study.  “I was up late last night coming up with a new plan for this House.”

“Oh yes,” Garry frowned.  “Because your nocturnal habits are so clearly evident in this early-morning excitement.”

Naryan gave the butler no heed, but looked outside the window of his study, at the ash floating outside.  “We’re going to tear down the House farm!”

Garry blinked his eyes, his mouth agape.  “Your Lordship, I would advise that--”

“It’s for the best,” Naryan interrupted.  “There are too many nobles out there with farms, too much competition to deal with.  We can sell off the farm, and focus our investments elsewhere.  I was hoping to go into the salt mining business.”

“There’s a salt mining business?” Garry asked, slowly regaining his composure.

“Exactly,” Naryan smiled, pointing a pen in Garry’s direction, “there isn’t one… yet.  Once this next business venture is done, we should be the rulers of salt!  The saline sultans!  The supreme salties!”

“I… salt, my Lord?”

“Yeah, salt.  The stuff that preserves food and makes it taste better.”

“I know, my Lord, but… I’m not exactly sure you’ll corner the market with salt.”

“I’m not looking to corner the market, I’m looking to--” Naryan stopped as a messenger opened the door to his study.  “Ah, the lumber’s arrived?  Right on schedule!”

“You really do have a new direction for this House, don’t you?” Garry asked, raising an eyebrow.

“Yeah, that’s what I said,” Naryan chuckled, walking over to the messenger to sign a form.  “With the whole salt business and our woodworker’s shops, we can really start preserving food!  Hopefully, that’ll end up preserving our House as well.”

“If you say so,” Garry sighed.  Though, even if Garry might have been the last to admit it, he felt that there was some sense in Naryan’s words, even if the new House Lord was an exuberant goofball.

No time for RP at the moment, will hopefully get some in shortly though before the turn ends. Either way, it appears we have some aggressors still, as this Turn I discovered that my wine distillery has been burnt to the ground. Now it could be just random chance, I suppose? But I somehow doubt it.

Now, many of you may not know this, but I have vowed to quite a few houses that nobody comes between an Urbain and their Wine. I will dedicate all of my resources to hunting and paying (just!) retribution to the guilty House(s). The birth of the Steel Ministry just allows it to now happen within accordance of TLR's wishes. :ph34r:

Shen read the latest financial reports, frowning. They had managed to buy some small mines, but the ore it provided probably wasn't enough to boost the Wair coffers. He leaned back on his chair and sighed.

If only my father's last grand design had worked.

House Wair had adopted, for the most part, an isolationist strategy since his grandfather's passing. While this had meant they had no obvious enemies, they also had no obvious allies.

Time to change that.

Action 1:

Who: House Wair

What: Sending servants to all Noble Houses to offer support.

Why: To earn respect from the nobility.

EDIT: Basically,to get more prestige. That's all I'm doing.

Edited by Wblk

GENERATION 3, TURN 2:

Mikhail Elariel:

Mikhail smiled as he watched Valerie play quietly in the corner of his office, under the watchful eye of one of her nursemaids.  Though she was still quite young, his little girl was quickly changing from a hesitant and shy toddler into a thoughtful and well-behaved child.  It pleased him to day dream of what a magnificent leader she might be one day, provided he could ensure the House Elariel she inherited would be something worth leading.  

Grudgingly, Mikhail returned to his work.  While he normally enjoyed administering House affairs, the hours he spent in the office had lost some of their allure since Mikhail became a father.  Some days he almost wished that he could become one of those socialite lords whose weightiest concern was deciding upon a suit for the next ball, if only so that he could spend more time with his darling Valerie.  Allowing her to play in his office, now that she was capable of behaving for longer than a few minutes, was his compromise with himself.

"Helena," he said, addressing the nurse maid, "Could you send Zareen in?  I wish to speak with him about the kitchen budget.  He should be waiting outside."

The steward glided in with a grace that any noblewoman would envy.  Zareen's soft featured face betrayed no hint of emotion, but Mikhail could tell that he was annoyed at having been made to wait.  You may be vital to the administration of this House, old friend, but all stewards must wait upon their Lords when required.  

"You summoned me, Lord Elariel?"  

"Yes, I wished to over the accounts for the kitchens.  I've compared notes with some of my allies, and it seems like we are going over-budget.  It could be that my supposed friends are lying to make me think they are getting deals on their food, but I thought I would ask if you had noticed any irregularities in spending first, before I began any sort of investigation."  

Zareen's gaze shifted to the side for a moment as he indicated Helena with a slight nod of his head.  "Such matters are best discussed in private, Lord Elariel.  Might we retire to your study?"  

"I trust Helena, Zareen, as should you.  She comes from a good house, and I recall that you interviewed her extensively before we allowed her to take her current position.  I trust her with my daughter's life.  I can trust her with kitchen gossip."  Out of the corner of his eye, Mikhail noticed a smug smile spread across Helena's lips.  

"I did not mean to doubt Lady Helena's capability, Lord Elariel.  I merely thought that such matters might be... inappropriate for younger ears."  

Ah...   Mikhail hesitated.  On one hand, Zareen was right.  While he might love Valerie more than any other human being, it was difficult to trust any child her age with house secrets, no matter how well behaved.  On the other hand, if he was forced to always put her out, who knew what secrets Valerie might one day learn to keep from him?  She could be my heir, and lead this House one day.  She should know how it is run.  "Valerie knows not to gossip, don't you darling?  You know it's bad to talk about your father's work, don't you?"  As he called out to his daughter, Mikhail felt his voice rise in both pitch and volume.  

"Yes Daddy.  I'm colouring!"  

"Milord," Helena interjected with a polite bow, "The Lady Valerie and I have been discussing Ashmounts.  It's an exciting topic, so I doubt we will be able to spare much attention for your conversation."  

Mikhail smiled, both at his daughter, and at Helena's quiet competence.  "There, you see Zareen, nothing to worry about.  Let's proceed, shall we?"  

Zareen sighed, but quickly set to work outlining the potential causes of their inflated kitchen budget.  As the steward continued, Mikhail began to realize how much he had neglected this part of House Administration in the past.  He had been so focused on pursuing new business ventures and increasing House Elariel's status, that he had neglected to pay much attention to the added costs associated with that status.  

"Also, I did not want to bring this to your attention until I had gathered more evidence, but I have a suspicion that our head chef has been operating a small smuggling ring.  I would hesitate to terminate her employment, since her cooking is divine, but if I uncover concrete evidence a sharp reprimand and a cut to her wages may be in order."

Mikhail's eyes widened.  "You mean that middle-aged woman with the auburn hair may be running a criminal operation out of my kitchens?"  If the ministry or one of his enemies connected his house with any sort of criminal activity, it would mean trouble for House Elariel's future prospects.  

Zareen shook his head.  "No need to worry, Lord Elariel.  I have the situation well in hand.  I would hardly call what she is alleged to be doing a 'criminal activity'.  If the rumours are correct, she is merely using some of our suppliers to smuggle in toys and treats for the children of some of the skaa kitchen hands.  Her alleged actions are of no danger to House Elariel, but as I said before, if the rumours are correct, then it would be prudent to punish her for mismanaging House funds."  

Mikhail took a deep breath, calming himself.  "Yes, well, please keep me updated."  Even if it was largely innocent, the existence of such a system operating within his house without his knowledge worried Mikhail.  The intentions of the head chef might be innocent, if foolish, but what was to stop a less scrupulous individual from putting the existing system to a more nefarious use?  "I'd also like a list of our suppliers.  Perhaps we can produce more goods in house, to cut down on this sort of thing.  If we can trust the people we are importing from, this sort of thing wouldn't be a problem."

Action:

Action 2: Buying A Bakery (Public):

Who: Lord Mikhail Elariel

What: Buying a Bakery/Mill to turn the grain produced by Elariel fields into tier 2 goods (Bread/Flour).  

Where: The Elariel Fields Near Tremredare

When: Gen 3, Turn 2, Action 2.

Why: To provide a better source of revenue, and to meet the food part of the food/luxury good requirement at the end of the generation.  

Action 1

Who: Lord Anders

What: Applying for Stewardship for Seran and surrounding regions

When: Action 1

Why: To solidify control

EDIT: Changed from "Eastern Dominance" to "Seran"

Edited by Adamir

Now, many of you may not know this, but I have vowed to quite a few houses that nobody comes between an Urbain and their Wine. I will dedicate all of my resources to hunting and paying (just!) retribution to the guilty House(s). The birth of the Steel Ministry just allows it to now happen within accordance of TLR's wishes. :ph34r:

11850872_860545330692359_2039047192_n.jp

(screenshot pulled from Pharaoh, by the way, one of the main inspirations for this game)

Also, people who want Stewardship of an entire Dominance... That's not gonna happen. A city is a lot smaller than a Dominance, and while I would be willing to give you control over an aspect of the Dominance, you won't get all of it.

And could people please remember to state where their buildings are? Thanks.

Edited by Wyrmhero

Who: Marlon Queade, on behalf of Lord Tyren

What: Making a contract with Unodus (see below)

Where: Luthadel/Farmstead

when: , Action 1

Why: To make some money selling a farm.

Transfer of Ownership

On behalf of Lord Tyren Queade, head of House Queade, I, Marlon Queade, authorize a transfer of ownership for our House's Farm to Lady Lucy Uethorn, head of House Uethorn, in exchange for the agreed amount (3 wealth). This letter has been witnessed and signed by one of the Obligator's of our Lord Rulers Steel Ministry.

Marlon folded the letter, and held it towards the servant waiting nearby.

"Take this to House Uethorn, You will be expected." As the servant reached for it, he pulled it back, glaring sharply.

"Speak of this to no one," he said in a hiss. "Especially not Ty- our Lord Tyren. He does not wish to be disturbed with such trivial matters as this during his -"he suppressed a groan, "-music lessons." When the servant nodded, Marlong handed the envelope and watched the woman leave... then groaned loudly.

"Music," he said to no one aloud. "Why, in the Lord Rulers name, does that idiot need to learn how to play a flute?"

Never mind the hawk-faced irritant he had hired for the purpose...

At least the distraction meant that Marlon could get things done...

Edited by Quiver

Anaximander Heron #3: Broken Glass

Nax studied the stranger in the parlour-mirror carefully, for as long as she dared. She turned away. Her hands were shaking. She carefully slipped them in her pockets, and then remembered belatedly that this gown didn’t have any pockets.

She slipped them behind her back, instead.

There were metals. She’d swallowed a vial of them before leaving. She burned a little copper, more for the reassuring warmth than for any true desire to prevent herself from being Soothed or Rioted. Then again, Nax thought, you never knew. She’d certainly heard about unscrupulous nobles Rioting someone’s physical attraction for a night--

No. She corrected herself. Anaximander hadn’t heard about it. Nax had. They moved in two separate worlds, and at times like this, the edges grated, so badly, like the screech of a barely-oiled rusty door-hinge to a Tineye’s hearing.

She shouldn’t have come. Shouldn’t have accepted the invitation. But she had to.

She was about to talk herself into going out; back to the party, back to the limelights and wine and music and dancing and laughter, when the door handle turned and then the door slipped open.

“By the Lord Ruler, Nax!” Aldan Malreaux was the first to respond. He took a few steps forward and swept her into a crushing hug.

She was surprised. Perhaps time had mellowed him. Awkwardly, she reciprocated the gesture, finally slipping away. They studied each other; Aldan was shorter than she’d remembered, or perhaps she’d grown. He’d put on some weight, but some of it was muscle. He was grinning; none of that screamed someone who found skaa for a night’s fling and then casually murdered them.

“It’s been a long time, m’lady,” he said, recovering, offering her a bow. “I didn’t expect to see you at one of our balls.”

“Ani nagged,” Nax said. “I was tired of it.”

“And how is your brother faring?” Aldan asked. “I was under the impression he was doing well, if a little busy.”

“Aren’t we all?” she asked. Tried to smile. “I certainly haven’t heard from you in ages.”

“Well, as you must know, I’m married now. And House Lord. That takes up quite a bit of time…I’m sure your brother must feel the same. Unfortunately, we don’t quite move in the same circles these days. And yourself?”

“Busy,” Nax said. “There are many things to be done, after all…”

He nodded. “I’m sure Philia would have mentioned you, but she hasn’t seen you at many of these.”

“I don’t go,” Nax said.

“And your husband? Who might that lucky man be?”

“I didn’t marry,” Nax said, and watched him try to deal with it, with a certain sadistic amusement.

“Whyever not?”

She shrugged. Another thing you didn’t quite do, she thought, in the formal circles of Luthadel’s nobles. Fortunately, she had passed the point of caring--and of being marriageable. It was the one gift her father had left her, after all those years of differences.

“But, Nax…” he spluttered. Finally, “You don’t want children?”

“I have a nephew,” she said. “I’ll probably have to beat him up one day and teach him to defend himself. I’m afraid the family life isn’t for me.”

For some reason, she found herself thinking of Len, Len, who hadn’t had a family, Len, who laughed and said there’d be plenty of time to settle down somewhere far from Luthadel in his retirement, far from where the Lord Despot’s grip had begun to tighten on the Dominances…

“Well,” Aldan said, smiling, ignoring the past few minutes. “This calls for a drink. Nils! NILS!” he raised his voice at the last.

The door swung open. “Milord?”

A skaa servant.

They stared at each other.

She knew him.

She wondered if that was a glint of recognition in his eyes. Perhaps all he saw was another noble lady, painted up, ornamented, and in a wine-red gown, slashed with Heron navy.

The idiot. It wasn’t safe, he’d said. So he’d chosen to infiltrate the Malreaux keep on his own. The bloody, bloody, idiot.

Tinkling of broken glass. The servant had been carrying a tray; the glasses on it tipped over, spilling whatever they’d been carrying--dark wine, possibly from the Malreaux vineyards--onto the tiled floor.

A sharp sound.

Aldan had casually backhanded the servant. “Stupid skaa,” he muttered. “By the Lord Ruler, Nils, you do something like this again, and I’ll have you strung up for my guests, mark my words.”

He looked at her and managed a smile. “Sorry about that. It’s getting awfully hard to get competent help these days, ever since Weskil turned up in an alley the other day with his throat slit. That’s the skaa for you.”

She wondered if he blamed Weskil for having the temerity to get his throat slit.

Len babbled a thousand apologies, sprawled on the floor--had Aldan been burning pewter?--his hand to his face. She couldn’t tell if he’d been injured. It depended on the pewter.

“Get someone,” Aldan ordered. “Clean up this mess. And be grateful I don’t have you flogged before the lady. Are we clear?”

Len muttered something. But his eyes were smouldering with anger.

She’d seen what she wanted to. Nax murmured something--what, she wasn’t sure--to Aldan, a few courtesies, something of that sort, at any rate, and then took her leave. She swept out through the party, brushing off the servants there with a brusque comment that she needed air.

She’d not liked Aldan, but he’d been charming. Frustrating, but that was his flaw. He’d been earnest about the poetry he’d written his latest paramour, and that was all the more difficult to mesh with the casual cruelty he’d displayed to Len.

She tore off the gown, as soon as she could, and slipped into the clothing she’d left behind in the Heron carriage. She thought of heading back to the Keep, but her blood was up, and she badly, badly felt like she needed something to take her mind off things.

“Go back to the Keep,” she ordered the driver, who nodded and set off.

Instead, Anaximander Heron shrugged on her cloak and headed into the shadows of Luthadel.

I'm done with vacation, so I should be able to put together some RP fairly soon. I also have a desktop to work from. But here are some actions:

Action 1:

Who: Valeri Penrod

What: Upgrading my Lumber Mill and Woodworkers

Why: To increase income for future turns

Where: Luthadel

When: First Action

Action 2:

Who: Araris and Valeri Penrod

What: Trying for an Heir - male name is Hadrian, female is Arinia

Where: Imperial Archive Keep Penrod

When: Second Action

Why: Kids are fun!

Action 3:

TBD

Can we get sterwardships of Ministry positions? Or are they strictly for city governments?

I don't really have an idea for RP this turn, but I should be able to get something out next round.

Action 3

Who: Ryna and Tiver Ravir

What: Trying for an heir: male name-Brenn female name-Kela

Where: Keep Ravir

Why: Heirs are needed to ensure the line

Boring, I know, but important.

Edited by RavenRadient7

I am almost certain Wyrm said something along the lines of "your public action cannot be Trying for an Heir". Has anyone made any other public actions?

Araris already answered this, but here's the exact quote:

I am now changing how public Actions work slightly. If you have no public Action, then I will select one at random from your Actions this turn to publicise. I will also only accept 'Try for an Heir' publicly once per Generation, from now on. 

Only two people have made that action public this turn and neither tried for an heir last turn, so they're following the rules just fine. :)

Gwynne Wilson slept, dreaming she'd fallen afoul of some plant and now had hives all over her body. They itched. Why wouldn't the itching go away? Gwynne tossed and turned in her bed, scratching her arms and trying to reduce the itching but nothing worked. After a few minutes, she bolted awake and looked down at her arms. Nothing. No little red bumps. She breathed a sigh of relief. She'd never had an allergic reaction before, but if the real thing was anything like the dream, she never wanted to. Her heart raced, and she knew she wouldn't be able to get back to sleep so she swung out of bed and dressed herself.

Unira would be upset that Gwynne hadn't called her, and she'd probably lecture her about how ladies aren't supposed to do such mundane tasks. But then, lady's maids shouldn't be lecturing their lady either, so Gwynne found it hard to really take Unira seriously. And anyway, with the rumors she'd been hearing, she didn't feel comfortable around a number of the servants who trailed after Unira. Gwynne knew she had spies in her house, ready and waiting for her to spill information to her lady's maid so they could report it back to their employer. She refused to make their job too easy for them.

She hurried out of her quarters, leaving the family wing. She had a busy day today and the earlier she started, the better.

Public Action

Who: Lady Gwynne Wilson, as House Lady and a few select knowledgeable servants involved in the Wilson plantation/uniform tailor industry

What: Researching better cultivation of cotton on the plantation as well as production techniques at the tailor

Where: At the plantation near Urteau, the tailor in Luthadel, and Keep Wilson

When: Action 3

Why: To reap a higher quality harvest of cotton and start using a method of production that will both ultimately result in higher quality uniforms. Also to provide substance for the marketing endeavor House Wilson plans to start shortly in regards to their uniforms.

Aniketos Heron #4: Scattered Leaves

Ani wished he didn’t feel so...tired, so dead inside. The tea was pleasant enough, having been steeped for just the right amount of time, and it made him feel a little more up to the task of discussing banal pleasantries with Lady Ostlin.

The garden was sculpted to be pleasing to the eye, with an austere aesthetic generated from the carved rocks, the black-and-white stones, and the handful of leaves scattered across the worn path.

Water ran somewhere, in the distance. He could hear it; a soothing murmur to the ear.

And there was no ash. It had been swept up in heaps by the villa’s gardeners, no doubt, where it would eventually be dumped somewhere where it would not look out of place. Privately, Ani suspected that they took the ash to the junk heaps and just left them there.

“”Well,” Lady Ostlin smiled, and set down her cup, as the matter turned away from the latest news from Luthadel (he suspected it was a test; word travelled slow on the road, but travel it would, and nobles like the Ostlins would have heard about the latest declarations from the capital, no matter what Lady Ostlin professed.) “What can I do for you, Lord Heron?”

He considered the question. The Ostlins were considered a minor noble family, in the eyes of the capital, for they didn’t have a Keep in Luthadel, and they weren’t particularly influential outside of the Western Dominance. Within the Western Dominance, however…

“Do I have to want something, Lady Ostlin?” he asked, keeping his tone neutral.

“Everyone does,” she shrugged. “I hardly think you travelled all the way out here for a pleasant conversation with an old lady over a cup of tea. Did you know your father had considered a marriage contract with us, once?”

That peculiar knot in Ani’s gut clenched, again. Every single time, without fail. “No, I hadn’t heard,” he said, with an effort.

“He had thought of it,” Lady Ostlin said, perhaps blissfully unaware. “For Mirabelle--my heir, you know? She’s off negotiating a contract in Fadrex City at the moment. A pity, that. You might have liked to meet her. Of course, Kyril decided to marry you off to the Estvaril girl, after all. What was her name again?”

“Araminta.”

“Quite a name,” Lady Ostlin mused. She looked at him. “Perhaps it’s for the best. I’m told you already have an heir to the Lordship. You weren’t thinking of negotiating a contract this early, were you?”

“I’m told some families prefer to start early,” Ani said, “But in Kyrus’s case, I prefer to leave things open and to allow him to grow a little older.”

She nodded approvingly. “A wise decision, I’m sure.”

“I would hope so,” Ani murmured, and drank his tea.

“Mm. I’ve heard that your House has gone into the glassworks industry,” Lady Ostlin said, at last. She gave him an arch glance. “There are many glassworkers of late in the West, wouldn’t you say?”

“It was time to begin to diversify our investments,” Ani replied. “A prescient move on my father’s part, one would have to say, considering that he intended for us to significantly move into glassworks and other enterprises before the Canton of Finance was formed.”

“Kyril Heron was an...interesting man,” Lady Ostlin said. Was that a fond smile he caught? “And don’t you worry about the Cantons. They’ll settle, soon.”

He inclined his head in agreement. “Even so. Diversification is, I expect, for the best. I hope to eventually apprentice Kyrus to one of the artisans, actually. Finding a willing and skilled mentor is proving somewhat of a challenge, however.”

“Oh?

He looked at the garden; the path, with its cloak of scattered, artful leaves, brightly-coloured in the afternoon light.

“Beautiful things matter,” Ani said, simply, by way of explanation. “It seems a worthwhile venture. And it would be immensely useful for Kyrus to learn a trade so closely-tied to the fortunes of House Heron.”

“Your father had similar plans for you,” Lady Ostlin said. “It was, I expect, why he had you fostered.”

“He could have taught them, had he been so minded,” Ani said. Ignored the almost-buried stab of pain.

Lady Ostlin shook her head, firmly. “No,” she said. “He could not. Kyril Heron, you must understand, was never a warrior. It didn’t lie in him to understand training or military logistics and tactics, and he never bothered with them.”

“I didn’t know you knew my father well.”

The corner of her mouth curled in a small smile. “My dear,” she said, and he allowed the diminutive, “You will allow us this: we know the Houses that come and go in the West. Your father among them.”

“I know you were contemporaries. I didn’t know you were closer than I expected.”

Lady Ostlin shrugged. “It was inevitable, I think. He sought to establish connections. House Ostlin was a natural choice. He spent a few weekends here, over the years.”

He didn’t know that. He knew little enough about the details. His father had explained to him the important points, over breakfast: ‘this is the state of the current market, this is what we are going to do, do you have any input, Ani?’ and that was that. He’d shown Ani the list of contacts he’d made in the Western Dominance, informed him that it would be his task to keep up with them. He’d taken Ani with him to inspect the banks, shown him the newly-acquired glassworks and introduced him to the things that needed to be done.

He felt like a stranger; being shown the ropes, but not quite...not quite…

“Lord Heron?”

Lady Ostlin was glancing at him. She crumbled one of the leftover pastries and carelessly strew them over the grounds. Moments later, the nearby sparrows came; dark wings flecked with ash. They pecked eagerly at the crumbs, fighting over bits and pieces of the pastry. Had Lady Ostlin become accustomed to the birds? Or, he wondered, had they become accustomed to her?

“I beg your pardon,” he said. “I was lost in thought.”

“Save that for when you’re older,” Lady Ostlin informed him. “A young thing like you shouldn’t be trapped in the past so early on.”

The sparrows flew away, shedding crumbling leaves like dirt.

Action Two:

•Who? - Aniketos Heron, in his capacity as House Lord. And Kyrus Heron, as Ani's son.

•What? - Aniketos is going to apprentice Kyrus to an artisan, specifically a mosaicist.

•Where? - In Tremredare. (Since that's where the Artisan's Guild is.)

•When? - This is my second action for the Turn.

•Why? - Ani hopes to have Kyrus learn a useful trade. By apprenticing Kyrus to a mosaicist, he hopes that being familiar with the tools, techniques and resources of glassworking will allow Kyrus to further improve on/streamline the existing Heron Artisan's Guild. (e.g. Kyrus should gain an understanding of how to acquire quality glass, what sort of glass is best for making mosaics, and an ability to assess the skill of a given artisan. He should develop contacts within the trade.) And he intends on educating his son. (Life-long learning, etcetera.)

Edited by Kasimir

Who: Lucy Uethorn, as House Lady

What: Making a contract with Quiver (see below)

Where: Luthadel/Farmstead

when: Generation 3, Turn 1, Action 3

Why: To buy a farm cheaper than retail price

Transfer of Ownership

I, Lucy Uethorn, authorize a transfer of ownership for 3 units of wealth to Lord Tyren Queade, head of House Queade, in exchange for the Houses Farm. This letter has been witnessed and signed by one of the Obligator's of our Lord Rulers Steel Ministry.

Lucy read over the letter, insuring there were no inconsistencies between the two letters. This would be the first time either of the two houses had made an exchange over property, and it would be preferable if nothing was amiss. Satisfied, she folded the letter and handed it back to the messenger Tyren had sent and sent him on his way. Picking up her glass of wine, she retired to her quarters. Being House Lady hadn't turned out quite how she had expected- she had been raised, trained by her father, to be ready for the inevitable war that never came. If The Lord Ruler hadn't intervened, the whole empire would have fallen apart as each nobles army retaliated until every allegiance was dragged into the conflict. Instead, her fathers preparations resolved nothing- and she squandered her time playing a noble lady and drinking, while privately longing for resolution for what her father had prepared so long for. And still, attacks were being reported. Lucy had no doubt who the culprit was- like her father had drilled into her, House Erikell was the only apparent explanation. Without proof though, no action would be taken against the house- and this time throwing a party wouldn't create any. Lucy forcefully downed the rest of her wine, not caring about for the appeals she had in the morning- and filled another glass. She was ready to do anything for her houses welfare- but when the time came to draw swords, she'd be ready. In the mean time, she had business to attend to. Most of which involved drinking.