Heirs to the Final Empire: Roleplaying Thread

Wyrmhero

Not sure if I'll have time to finish up my RP before the turn ends (had to deal with my Elimination game starting, among other things), so I'll put my actions in now (some of which I've alluded to already anyway :P).

Action 1:
Naryan Gardre is overseeing the construction of a salt mine in the Central Dominance (just south of Luthadel), in order to provide salt for all of Luthadel's salty needs.

Action 2:
Naryan Gardre is accepting a large shipment of lumber from an NPC House in Luthadel, in order to make wooden containers for the House to use and sell.

Action 3:
Naryan Gardre is trying for an heir.

I'm sorry to say that I'm disappearing off on holiday in a couple hours, and my internet access will be spotty at best until next Sunday. House Artorius will still be about, but don't expect me to be answering PMs very reliably next turn :P Wyrm is aware of my situation, and we've prepared accordingly so I will still be taking actions next turn.

Now, without further ado, my public action:

Who: Doran Artorius, in his capacity as House Lord
What: Constructing and upgrading a smithy
Where: The Eastern Dominance
When: Generation 3, Turn 2, Action 1
Why: To give House Artorius its own supply of refined metal

Not sure if I'll have time to finish up my RP before the turn ends (had to deal with my Elimination game starting, among other things), so I'll put my actions in now (some of which I've alluded to already anyway :P).

Action 1:

Naryan Gardre is overseeing the construction of a salt mine in the Central Dominance (just south of Luthadel), in order to provide salt for all of Luthadel's salty needs.

Action 2:

Naryan Gardre is accepting a large shipment of lumber from an NPC House in Luthadel, in order to make wooden containers for the House to use and sell.

Action 3:

Naryan Gardre is trying for an heir.

Because I know someone's going to ask, if you have multiple public Actions in one Turn, and one is Try for an Heir, that doesn't count towards the once-per-Generation limit.

Just under six hours to end of the Turn.

Been a busy week, so just the action this time:

• Who? - Lord Heatherlocke is performing this action, in his capacity as House Lord.

• What? - Siring a child (Male: Hadrian / Female: Helandrial) 

• Where? - The Family Residence

• When? - This is my 3rd Action for the Turn.

• Why? - To produce another child that can be married off to other Houses to forge alliances.

Initium

The messenger finished speaking.

Silence. Thick silence. Painful silence. The silence of anticipation. The Silence of Dread.

A muted horror permeated the chamber. The messenger shook. Surely the Wrath of Tekiel must fall upon him?

Those eyes, the icy, deep, blue eyes turned their gaze upon him.

'Guards' The clear, authoritative voice cut the silence like a scalpel.

The messenger's heart stopped in his chest, his brain calculating the moments left in his life.

'Guards' Gods above, he wished he hadn't left without making up to his wife.

'Guards, get this man a drink. Messenger, I am grateful for your service.'

Lord Tekiel turned away, ignoring the protestations of thanks.

He exuded an aura of calm, collected grace. At times like this, it threatened to crack.

Inside, he shook with rage.

How dare they? How dare they attack HIS Skaa. They may not be important, but they still belonged to Tekiel, and an attack on them was a direct affront on his House.

And then - the worse news. The attackers had posed as his Mistborn. His blood boiled at the temerity of those who were responsible. The perpetrators might have succeeded once, but they would not do so a second time. They would be revealed, and would suffer greatly for the wrongs committed. He would send men to each village, to reassure the Skaa, and to raise the alarm in the event of a repetition of the attacks.

The logistics thought through, Lord Tekiel began to focus on revenge. It may not be swift, but he was adamant that retribution would come to any who tried to make House Tekiel look like fools.

What: Establish a rapid response system to cover Fadrex and the surrounding Skaa villages

Where: Fadrex and it's surrounding villages

When: G3T2A1

Who: The Tekiel Military

No time for RP right now; I've had some minor computer issues, but thankfully Wyrm's letting me publicize my action a little late.

Who: Lord Cifan Izenry, Steward of Urteau.

What: Starting a fund within the city, donating money that will be put towards research, development and infrastructure, primarily into various industries.

When: This is my third action.

Where: Urteau, obviously.

Why: To develop industry within Urteau, and invest in the future of the city, with the hopes of eventual monetary benefits. 

Turn 3

In a tavern in Luthadel, two gentlemen sat before a roaring fire, glass in hand. An unseen mechanism tripped behind the fireplace, and metal powder dropped in from above, changing it to a brilliant red flame. A skaa stood off to the side, dressed in a smart suit, with a half-full bottle of wine in his hand.

"Have you heard the rumours?" Lord Artorius asked, reclining back in his chair. He swirled the glass of wine around a little. "It's quite interesting, you know, what you pick up in a place like this."

"Now which rumours would these be?" Votir asked, leaning forward in turn. "Perhaps you are talking about the tunnels the skaa are supposedly using to enter and leave the city illegally? Or the rumours that there is a man claiming to be The Lord Ruler's son in Urteau? Or perhaps even the ones that cast doubt on your parentage. I'm quite fond of that last one."

Doran scowled at him. "There is no truth to that rumour. Do you really wish to say you believe such rumours, here and to my face?" He thought about it. "No, there is no rumour, is there? Such a thing is dangerous to suggest, Votir."

"Then perhaps you had better tell me exactly what you mean before such a rumour gets spread, hm?" Votir Zerrung smiled at Lord Artorius. He thrust his wine glass into the hands of the attending skaa, who refilled it for him and passed it back to his hands. More powder dropped into the fire, bathing the room in a green glow.

"They say..." Doran paused and gave the attendant a sign of dismissal. No need for the hired help to hear about this, after all. When the man had left, he continued. "They say that the Farrsolin skaa are revolting."

"Of course they are. Skaa are base creatures with no idea of how to dress or even how to keep themselves clean. They are covered in dirt and infested with all manner of things."

Lord Artorius gave an exasperated sigh, which quickly changed into another scowl when he saw Lord Zerrung's smirk. Bastard. "You know what I mean," he said snappishly. "Supposedly they have been stealing from him."

"That is the rumour," Lord Zerrung nodded vaguely. "Is there any truth to it? And is there any more of this wine?"

"Who knows? If it is repeated enough, perhaps it will become the truth," Doran shrugged. When Zerrung tapped on the side of his glass, he sighed. "No, there is not. I'm sure you've heard rumours of a fire at the Urbain distillery, as well. It has... interrupted supplies."

"Such a shame," Votir sighed. "Perhaps I will have to frequent another tavern instead. Or maybe I will just take my complaints up with Glam, next time I see her." 

There was a knock on the door. It opened to reveal Lord Vinid, who nodded to them both and sat down in a third chair before the fire. A new bottle of wine was opened, and a glass filled in his hand. The skaa disappeared quickly at Lord Artorius' orders.

"Cladent!" Lord Zerrung said with a smile, when they were once more without servants. "I don't suppose you could shed some light on this matter?"

The glass paused on the way to Lord Vinid's lips. "What matter would this be?" he asked, before taking a sip.

"The matter of Lord Farrsolin's skaa, and their potential uprising," Lord Artorius explained. "We were wondering if there were any truths to these rumours. Considering the latest announcement from the Steel Ministry regarding your promotion, we thought you would be best placed to answer our questions."

Lord Vinid shrugged. "I have had no official request to step in from Lord Farrsolin. My understanding is that measures will be put in place to deal with it soon."

"Well, good," Lord Zerrung sat back in his chair. "Be a shame if the idea spread, after all. Ambition is a dangerous thing for skaa to have."

"Hopefully it will be dealt with swiftly," Lord Artorius nodded. "And if not, well... I'm sure the sight of koloss will bring a swift end to their rebellion."

"I would rather it not come to that," Cladent said. "Koloss tend to be somewhat... indiscriminate... when it comes to a fight. There would be considerable collateral damage."

"But if it comes to that...?" Lord Zerrung asked, letting the words hang on the air briefly.

"If it comes to that," Lord Vinid replied, tilting the glass back and draining it. He took a handkerchief out of his pocket to dab at his mouth. "If it comes to that," he repeated as he stowed it away again in his suit pocket, "then there is little choice in the matter. A swift, brutal end would be best for all concerned. At the very least, it will serve as a lesson."

"Yes," Lord Artorius nodded, "But to whom?"

Lord Vinid just smiled grimly.

Generation 3, Turn 3 has begun! It will end at 6PM BST on the 22th of August.

Remember that you can look at all public information in the spreadsheet in my signature.

I am ending any and all 'recruitment drives' now. It's just too strong to be able to get a boost in MP at such a cheap cost (i.e, not factoring Upkeep into things).

Pair of requests: Firstly, please name your children. Secondly, if you want to cancel a public action, it'd be handy if you edit it somehow to show that, such as a strikethrough.

House Heatherlocke has put together funds to encourage building construction-related Properties in Lansing City. The next four other players who build there will receive a 1 Wealth discount on that building.

Generation 3 Player List

1. little wilson - Gwynne Wilson
  2. Gamma Fiend - Gerrund Urbain
  3. Unodus - Lucy Uethorn
  4. Adamir - Anders Farrsolin
  5. Blank Fate - Doran Artorius
  6. Venture Mistborn - Rowan Orielle
  7. OrlokTsubodai - Nestor Tekiel
  8. Comatose - Mikhail Elariel
  9. Aonar Faileas - Cifan Izenry
  10. Quiver - Tyren Queade
  11. wblk - Shen Wair
  12. phattemer - Apollonus Erikell
  13. Araris Valerian - Valeri Penrod
  14. Renegade - Naryan Garde
  15. Shallan - Cladent Vinid
  16. Haelbarde - Casper Heatherlocke
  17. Mailiw73 - Votir Zerrung
  18. The Crooked Warden - Octavia Protegat
  19. Kasimir - Aniketos Heron
  20. RadiantRaven7 - Ryna Ravir
  21. CraigJohn - Jessica Sarasvati

PMs will be sent out shortly.

Edited by Wyrmhero

Kyrus Heron #1: Light and Shadow

Kyrus wasn’t sure what he was supposed to expect. According to his father, Tormod was one of the younger masters in the Artisan’s Guild--only recently promoted from journeyman status. He’d asked his father what that meant. His father had sighed. “He’ll explain it to you,” Aniketos Heron had said, then.

Now, he eyed Kyrus and said, “Stop fidgeting.”

He stopped playing with the pebble in his pocket. It was a smooth, dark stone, and a curiosity: one his father had brought back for him from one of his business trips into the Western Dominance. He’d liked to imagine it had come from a river--perhaps the Seran, although his father had sighed and informed him that if he’d been paying attention to his geography tutor, as he should’ve, then he would’ve known that the Seran was on the other side of the Empire entirely.

Maps. He never trusted them. Tathingdwen was probably a conspiracy of cartographers, anyway. How did they know it was there if no one left Luthadel and checked?

The door to the workshop swung open.

“Tell them this isn’t red!” someone was shouting. “Lord Ruler’s sack, Lord Tethys wants those fish red, not some muck-stained yellow! Even a blind beggar could tell you this isn’t red!” He added a series of increasingly-crude suggestions as to what he was going to do to ‘them’ with the defective sheets of glass, whoever ‘they’ were.

As the stream went on, Kyrus’s father very firmly covered his ears. Kyrus tried to squirm away, but his father didn’t relent until the stream of profanities was over.

The youth working the door, a harried-looking boy scarcely older than Kyrus was, blanched. “Master Tormod,” he tried, “That’s just what the glassworkers got this time around. They’ve been having difficulties--”

“They’ve been having difficulties all blasted year!” Tormod--for that was the person who was shouting--snapped. “First, it was the sun. ‘Gold’, I asked for, not piss-yellow! Then there was the pond-scum when I said the ocean needed hints of emerald. And that’s when the glass is fine, not blackened or irregular with bubbles and not fit for anything except being stuck up their--”

His father reached over for him again. Kyrus shrugged away.

“Incompetence!” Tormod fumed. “Incompetence is what it is!”

Aniketos Heron stood up, crossed over to the door and looked at the increasingly-hassled youth. “I am Lord Aniketos Heron,” he informed the boy. “I believe we’re expected.”

The boy gulped. “Master Tormod, there’s someone to--”

“Well,” Tormod said, flatly, “I suppose this is just as well, since we’re never getting anywhere until the glassworkers clean up their act. This is the fifth order they’ve ruined this month.”

His father beckoned, and Kyrus moved over to join him. The other boy eyed him and murmured, “Good luck.”

Kyrus looked at him.

“Master Tormod’s in a real temper,” the boy whispered, making a face. “But he’s one of the most gifted mosaicists in the Guild, they’re saying. He just...gets a bit hard to handle, when they give him substandard materials.”

“Why do they do that, then?”

The boy shrugged. “Who knows? The glassworkers have been going through hard times of late, and even the masters can’t get good sheets of working glass anymore. ‘Course, what the ‘prentices have to deal with are worse.”

“Are you one of them?”

The boy sighed. “I wish,” he said, glumly. “I’m with the Guild, but I haven’t been taken on by anyone yet. They’ve sent me to do fetching and carrying for Master Tormod. I guess they hope that he’ll take me on eventually.”

“What happens if he doesn’t?”

The boy shrugged. “Some other master takes me on, no doubt. There’s no shortage of them, what with the latest batch of journeymen being conferred their mastery.”

Kyrus tried to hide his confusion. He felt the slightest trace of guilt: he wasn’t as interested in learning to create mosaics as the other boy appeared to be, and for all of that, he’d ended up with an apprenticeship under Tormod because of who his father was. He looked down at his hands. They’d spoken, before they’d left for the workshop, about what Tormod’s expectations would be. No slacking, his father had said. Treat this seriously. It’s an enormous opportunity you’ve been given, Kyrus. Don’t squander it.

“Kyrus!” his father called. There was a hint of irritation in his voice.

Kyrus realised that they’d been talking at the door while his father had gone on in and was already conferring with Tormod. He offered the boy an apologetic shrug and went into the workshop.

His first impression of the mosaicist’s workshop was that it was so bright. There were parts of it that were dark and shadowed, but light flooded in through immense glass windows, and he noticed lamps everywhere, probably for the night. On the far wall, he saw a mosaic being slowly pieced together; the wall was half-empty, but he could see where the tiles were already being set. He wondered what it was supposed to depict. Maybe fish.

Tormod was a large man, with a beaky nose and raggedly-cut dark hair. His hands were cut and bleeding, while a shattered sheet of murky-brown glass sat on the workbench before him. Blood stained the glass.

Tormod looked at him, as though sizing him up. Kyrus looked back at him.

“Well,” Tormod said, at last. “So that’s the boy.”

“That’s Kyrus,” his father agreed.

An unspoken agreement seemed to pass between the two men; his father nodded, and said, “Well, then. I leave him in your capable hands, Master Tormod. And I’ll have a look at the glassmakers’ to see what’s happening with the glass.”

“Best that you do,” Tormod said. His voice was rough, with a hint of a Southern accent. Kyrus recognised that: his tutor had pointed it out to him, once. The people from the Southern Dominance, particularly the Isles, spoke in a distinctive way. He was surprised he had noticed it here.

His father paused, for a moment, beside him. “Be good,” he said. That was all. He left.

They looked at each other, still. The master mosaicist and the boy. It was Kyrus who broke the silence first. “Why is the workshop so bright?” he wanted to know.

Tormod grunted. “Good question. This is your first lesson of being a mosaicist: light is important. So is audience. You have to keep in mind who you’re making the mosaic for, who is meant to see it, from what angle, in what light. Light matters when you’re setting the tiles. A sloppy mosaicist just sticks tile after tile to a wall. A clever mosaicist uses the light to create the illusion of depth, of shade, of texture…Sometimes, you can even convey movement. I’ll show you.”

“All right,” Kyrus said.

“The next lesson of being a mosaicist: right now, you’re an apprentice. My apprentice. That means you shut up and do what you’re told until I say you’re good enough to try experimenting on your own. And that means I’m ‘Master Tormod’ or ‘sir’. Understand?”

“Yes, sir.”

“Good.”

So, pretty important announcement: I will be calling a halt to the game temporarily at the end of the Generation, on the 30th.

Basically, I've become employed, which brings with it a whole host of issues, not least of which is relocation. While I'm obviously not sure how long it will take me to find a place, I am hopeful that it will be resolved as soon as possible, particularly with how expensive that's going to be. But I digress. I would provisionally like the game to restart on the 4th of October.

Well, thanks for letting us know! I guess we will have a disproportional amount of time to do roleplaying for our characters this generation! I hope that everything goes smoothly for you and that you are good at your new job.

Also, public action:

Action 2:

Who: Lady Valeri

What: Upgrading the sheep farm and the sheep dairy

Why: For more sheep cheese!

Where: Pretty sure they are both by Luthadel ish

When: Second Action

Edit: Changed to Second Action

Edited by Araris Valerian

So, pretty important announcement: I will be calling a halt to the game temporarily at the end of the Generation, on the 30th.

Basically, I've become employed, which brings with it a whole host of issues, not least of which is relocation. While I'm obviously not sure how long it will take me to find a place, I am hopeful that it will be resolved as soon as possible, particularly with how expensive that's going to be. But I digress. I would provisionally like the game to restart on the 4th of October.

Bummer, but like always, RL comes first. Hope everything goes smoothly and I'll be excited to pick this up again when you start it back up.

So... I dunno if I'll be able to get online tomorrow, so setting my actions first. Sorry for the lack of RP, and if I DO have time, then... I'll be sure to try and do one.

Who: Tyren Queade

What: Upgrading my Prison

Why: Because it's a cheaper source of income than building a NEW building.twilightsheepish.png

Besides, with the Canton of Hegemony up and running, I figure the laws are probably being codified a bit more, in which case we'll need more prison space. 

Where: It;'s... in Luthadel? I think?

When: Second Action

Edited by Quiver

Shen was bored.

Little had been happening in Luthadel, it seemed that the nobles had all retreated to safety and refrained from making any overt declarations these days. If things carried on like this, he might just be tempted enough to cause some mischief.

There was a quiet cough from behind him, and so the Lord turned his head.

"Yes, Morri?" he said, lazily.

"My Lord Wair, I have the latest reports from our plantations. One of the nobles there has suffered a few small bandit attacks and wants us to help.

Shen sighed, it seemed that today was just another day.

Action 1:

Who: Shen Wair as House Lord

What: Establishing a small outpost in the Western Dominance near my farms to provide security.

Why: Improve my standing amongst House Wair.

Ryna sighed, looking across the mess of papers covering her desk. Schematics and half-abandoned plans took up the desk, covering the official documents and letters.

Whatever she had expected from moving to the center of the Empire, this was not it. The advent of the Steel Ministry had complicated things, and her husband had taken to hiding himself away rather than trying to deal with the mess.

If he wasn't still showing up for dinners, she would have guessed that he had returned back to his childhood home.

Ryna sat down at her desk, and glanced out the door where her daughter was doing...something. She loved Kela, but the girl seemed distant on the best of days. A brilliant mind, but Ryna worried she wouldn't be able to keep up with the politics of it all.

Digging out one of the papers at the bottom of the pile, Ryna frowned. Allomancy was more important than she had figured it would be, here in the capital. Much more important, indeed.

Maybe that was something to work on.

Action 1

Who: Ryna Ravir

What: Hiring a Smith to refine raw ore into allomatic metals

Where: Austrex

Why: In order to have allomantic metals on hand, and be able to sell them to those who might want them.

Edited by RavenRadient7

[Maybe RP later; too burned out right now.]

Edit: I was supposed to be doing my homework for German 5. I procrastinated. Instead, here, have some RP:

Es war spät in der Nacht.

Als er einen Brief zum Kyrus schrieb, zögerte Aniketos Heron. Die Kerzenflamme flackerte. Er machte einen kleinen Pause, und trank seinen Wein. Es gab fast keinen Urbain-Wein mehr, dachte Ani, wegen der Zerstörung ihrer Brennerei. Aus diesem Grund bremste die Produktion ab. Im Keller des Bergfrieds blieben nur ein wenig Flaschen Wein.

Vielleicht trank er gerade den letzten Wein.

Ani wusste, dass Kyrus oft beschäftigt war. Seitdem Kyrus bei Meister Tormod in die Lehre gegangen war, kam seine Briefe seltener und seltener. Es gab, sagte er, bei Meister Tormod immer viel zu tun. Ein Lehrling hatte mehrere Aufgaben, darum er sich kümmern müsste. Allerdings nahm es Kyrus die Energie. Deswegen schlief er unregelmäßig und war oft müde. Er hatte auch wenig Zeit, damit er einen langen Brief zu seinem Vater schreiben konnte.

Aber er las immer Anis Briefe. Das wusste Ani.

Was sollte er denn schreiben? Vielleicht sollte er das Geschehen in Luthadel beschreiben. Oder vielleicht interessierte Kyrus sich besser für die Ereignisse der Familie Heron? Er hatte, dachte Ani, voraussichtlich großes Heimweh. Er dachte dann an seine Kindheit und Erziehung mit Familie Wilson. Damals vermisste Ani seine Familie eine schöne Menge. Trotzdem hat sein Vater Kyril Heron ihm nie einen Brief geschrieben.

Die Beziehungen. Er befürchtete, dass die Söhne immer dieselbe Fehler als die Väter machen. Wie pflegt man eine gute Beziehung mit seinem Sohn? Wie wird man ein guter Vater? Die Antworten wusste Ani nicht und er beunruhigte sich.

Er las wieder die Wörter, die er soweit geschrieben hat.

„Lieber Sohn,

ich hoffe, dir geht es gut. Wie findest du Meister Tormod? Er hat mir letzten Monat einen Brief über dich geschrieben, und sagte, dass deine Lehre...Ich reise nächste Woche eine Reise nach Tremredare, um…“

Er runzelte die Stirn. Nein, dachte Ani. Das geht überhaupt nicht…

Er strich die ganze Sache aus. Und dann begann er wieder, den Brief von Anfang zu schreiben.

Action Two:

•Who? - Aniketos Heron, in his capacity as House Lord. And Kyrus Heron, as Ani's son.

•What? - Aniketos and Kyrus are making the public spaces Tremredare more beautiful by using the shipment of Mosaics.

•Where? - In Tremredare. (Since that's where the Artisan's Guild is, and Kyrus is sort of glued there for the time being.)

•When? - This is my second action for the Turn.

•Why? - Ani and Kyrus believe that creating beautiful public spaces is part of making a city more liveable, improving the quality of life there, and making it a more attractive place. In addition, Ani expects this to have knock-on effects on law and order as he believes that dilapidated, run-down public spaces merely encourages law-breaking. And it's a father-son bonding exercise.

Edited by Kasimir

Action 3:

Who: Votir and Beksha Zerrung

What: Trying for an Heir

Where: Sicko.

When: Action 3

Why: No one wants to marry my children unless I provide them with one too. :P

Edit: Male: Maxill, Female: Abryn

Edited by Mailliw73

Public Action 1

Lord Anders Farrsolin transfers temporary ownership of his skaa population as well as mines, smiths, farms, and bakeries to Lord Votir Zerrung while Lord Anders still pays the upkeep and receives the profits until the generation has passed away, at which point, all Farrsolin skaa and properties will be returned to Lord Anders's heir. Lord Anders will compensate Lord Zerrung with 50% of net Wealth he accumulates during the time that Zerrung supervises his skaa. The payment will be made at the beginning of the new generation. A public proclamation is to be issued out to all skaa villages in Seran and its neighboring lands to inform the skaa that House Farrsolin no longer has any direct control nor authority over them.

The intention being that the skaa have a problem with House Farrsolin; they will have the rest of the generation to calm down, by which point I will be prepared to deal with another riot.

Public Action 2

Trying for an Heir
Male: Regnus
Female: Viridiana
Edited by Adamir

Public Action: House Urbain is donating a shipment of obsidian to the Steel Ministry. You don't need to know why. ;)

Glam Urbain packed a bottle of her houses finest wine in the crates to be sent to the Steel Ministry for their aid in her own personal Inquisition. They did good work, and deserved the reward. Now it was only a matter of striking back against those who had targeted her House. She knew she was right all along to send her brother away. She knew she had no reason to doubt herself of her actions.

For the sake of House Urbain, she went forward with her plans.

Action!

• Who? - An expedition team at Lord Heatherlocke's command

• What? - Mounting an expedition to the Southern Islands

• Where? - Southern Islands

• When? - This is my 2nd Action for the Turn.

• Why? - To travel to a new frontier to explore strange new lands, to boldly go where no man has gone before, and to scout out new mining locations.

Edited by Haelbarde

​Generation 3 - Turn 3

Mikhail Elariel

"You're doing it again."

"Doing what?"  Mikhail lowered his reading glasses to regard the man in front of him.  Despite not having seen him in years, it seemed like Valerre had changed very little.  True, there were new wrinkles and laugh lines, and Mikhail doubted that even the most rigorous exercise routine could keep a body in the condition that Valerre's had been in during their youth from experiencing the ravages of time.  Even still, it was disconcerting to be sitting across from the man after all this time, feeling as if no time had passed at all.  

Valerre rolled his sparkling eyes.  "You know exactly what.  Lord Ruler man, we've barely been sitting down for more than a few minutes and already you're day dreaming about work.  If I wanted to be ignored, I'd stay at home with my father.  The years have made him quite good at it."

"I'm sorry, Valerre.  It's just that... never mind, you are right." Mikhail folded up his reading glasses, and tucked them away with the small pad of paper he had brought out to scratch some ideas on.  "Tonight should be about us, not about work."

The two men sat for a moment quietly regarding their drinks.  A silence bred out of half written letters and cancelled visits hung between them.  Inevitably, Mikhail's thoughts began to slip away from him and drift back to his unfinished work.  His fingers reached instinctively for his bag where his glasses and papers waited.

"Ah, very well.  I'd forgotten you had all the self control of an immature mist-wraith.  Go on, Lord Elariel, tell me what is consuming your time these days.  Perhaps if we get this over with now, we can still have some time for actual conversation later."

"Well..." Mikhail licked his lips as he nervously checked in both directions.  On paper, in his missives to the other Lords and to the Ministry, he had come to pride himself on his subtlety.  Unfortunately, that skill set had never transferred over into the public sphere, where he alternated between being stiff and professional in most scenarios, and painfully awkward whenever he was forced to let his guard down.  It would seem that this meeting with Valerre was going to be the latter of the two.  After satisfying himself that no one seemed to be listening in, Mikhail pressed on, trying his best to ignore Valerre's knowing grin.  "Right now what's concerning me is the unreasonable rate my House goes through goods.  I know that it is important to maintain a certain standard of living, but their expectations are quickly bordering into unreasonable.  If I can't find a more affordable way to satisfy them, I worry that both house morale, and our reputation with the other houses may suffer.  I've been trying to find more affordable vendors, but... what is that grin about?"

"I'm just remembering."  Valerre's eyes twinkled and he flashed his all to familiar mischievous grin.  

"Remembering what?"

"Just what a work-obsessed bore you are.  I mean really, here you are, sitting in silence next to a strapping specimen like myself, and all you can talk at length about is keeping your spoiled little family well stocked with treats and trinkets.  For some reason, I remembered you being a tad more interesting."  

Mikhail rolled his eyes.  "Well then.  What would you prefer to talk about, hmmm?"

"Let's talk about finishing off your drink and ordering another one.  After that, if I'm in a good mood and suitably drunk maybe we can discuss your working troubles.  After that, it will likely be getting late, so we had best turn our discussion towards turning in for the night."

INVITATION TO THE LORDS AND LADIES OF LUTHADEL:

You are cordially invited to a ball and showcase at the Elariel Keep in Luthadel.  

Bring your house's best products, and display them in style for the entire city to see in our showcase!  Come and dance the night away, while taking breaks to shop around and see what wonders our peers have been working so hard on all these years.  Whether you are a seller or a buyer, this is an evening you will not want to miss.  

- Lord Mikhail Elariel

Action:

Action 2: Hosting a Showcase (Public):

Who: Lord Mikhail Elariel

What: Hosting a Ball with a Showcase theme, where different houses can showcase and show off their respective trades.  

Where: Luthadel

When: Gen 3, Turn 2, Action 2.

Why: To gain prestige, to give other houses a chance to show off their wares, and to find good places to purchase luxury items for future generations.  

So I was going to write some RP, but then I got distracted by X-Files, and now all my time is gone. So....looks like it's just an action this time around.

Action 3

Who: Lady Gwynne Wilson, as House Lady

What: Funding a marketing campaign for the uniforms produced at the Wilson tailor

Where: Luthadel and across the Final Empire

Why: To market and promote the Wilson uniforms, under a campaign advertising the durability and high-quality of the uniforms, including the difficulty to duplicate them. Houses wishing to reduce the chances of their House being successfully framed in military offensive actions can use the Wilson uniforms to mitigate those chances.