Isles of the Emberdark Reading Discussion

AonEne

4 hours ago, Ironeyes said:

I just read Chapter 4,

Funny I re-listened to the original reading for the Sixth of The Dusk sequel from a few years ago yesterday. I realised then that chapter 3 had stopped about half way through the original reading.

It makes sense that the extra chapter would cover that part of the story. As with chapter 3, there are a few changes and extra details in chapter 4, but it essentially takes us to the same place at the end of the original reading.

14 hours ago, bmcclure7 said:

what hapens in chapter 4?

Pretty much what happened at the end of the first reading years ago. Dusk realises that the legend of Tenth the Finder tells the story of how their people arrived on the First of the Sun through Shadesmar, explains this to Vahti and resolves to go out there to look for help. It is not a full chapter, but just a snippet of one, IMHO.

Anyway, having re-read the text via the newsletter - Hoid definitely was the captain of the Dynamic before his disappearance, given that he had personally hired Chrysalis and that they suddenly have a new temporary captain.

Also, Rosharan antigrav fabrials are a common enough thing to be part of the Dynamic, so the Radiant doesn't really have to have the Surge of Gravitation. A lot of the Order glyphs might come across as "bird in flight", including the Elsecaller one, which would explain violet accents on his armour. Once he actively uses investiture, there is bluish light consistent with stormlight, but that could still be a fabrial. Yes, he did ask about legality of killing someone who pulled a weapon on him, but IMHO it is something that non-Skybreakers might want to be careful about when establishing new contacts as well. Alternatively, he may be a Skybreaker with a Transportation fabrial. It doesn't seem like he came in through the perpendicularity, but neither does it make sense for him to have come through space without Scadrians noticing. IMHO he most likely arrived via Shadesmar and can move back and forth between it and the Physical, either under his own power, or via magitech.

Oh, and the Scadrians are clearly Mawlish, what with masks and importance of removing them. IIRC the Sunlit Man suggested that Scadrians aren't monolithic, though, so they may represent one of the less pleasant groups, along with the researchers on Crucible. I too hope that Scadrial didn't turn into an evil empire, ditto Roshar. At least, there some rules that the Scadrians have to dance around...

Edited by Isilel

On 3/27/2024 at 8:24 AM, Oltux72 said:

And even more fundamental, why has the avatar not reacted to Scadrians enroaching on the autonomy of First of the Sun?

Can he react to that? Let's look at what Moonlight says about Autonomy:

“Living under her can be safe if you keep your head down, don’t stray into the dangerous regions where she demands that you test yourself. Autonomy is brutal, but also generous. If you impress her, you rise through her ranks. Even if you go against what you’re told, and you are successful, you are rewarded.”

And now apply it to Patji:

• Most people avoid the island, facing no danger from him but getting no benefit either. This is the first group, those who keep their heads down and live safely.
  • The trappers work within his restrictions, weathering his threats and reaping his rewards. This is the second group, those who impress him and rise.
  • The company rebels against his systems entirely, bulldozing his challenges and seizing the prize for themselves. This is the third group, those who go against him successfully and are rewarded.

The Ones Above are also the third group. Autonomy may not want them (or Roshar) to go on a conquering spree, and can prepare the people of First of the Sun to resist. But if the invaders prove themselves the more resilient of the two... well, can the Shard's Intent really allow them to withhold the spoils, even if it's not the outcome they hope for? Their nature demands they let the challenge stand once it's been issued.

So about the Aviar that lets you see new colors.  

I wrote extensively here about how Lightsong's offhanded description of someone's red lips being “three shades shy of the seventh harmonic” basically only makes sense if the fundamental harmonic is in the infrared spectrum.

If this Aviar were to allow vision in the infrared (and if breath also had some of that property) it would retroactively have this off handed comment make more sense.  

1 hour ago, ShadeWhisperer said:

So Brandon wrote 5 books during Covid. We got 4 of them during the year of Sanderson. Does anyone know if secret project 5 is the 5th one from the books written during Covid? Or is it a new one?

It's new, the fifth secret project was a middle grade graphic novel called Super Awesome Danger. 

4 hours ago, ShadeWhisperer said:

So Brandon wrote 5 books during Covid. We got 4 of them during the year of Sanderson. Does anyone know if secret project 5 is the 5th one from the books written during Covid? Or is it a new one?

Along with long chills, Super awesome danger, and the four secret novels, Emberdark is sp7.

4 hours ago, ShadeWhisperer said:

Brandon called it SP0 so Isles of the Emberdark being SP5 is fine. WoB for you, check out the link at the bottom of the WoB if you want to see some early images from the book.

Spoiler

[...]

Brandon Sanderson

Super Awesome Danger

You might remember that when I did the reveal for the Year of Sanderson I had five manuscripts, not four. The fifth one (let’s call it Secret Project Zero, so that in discussing it people don’t think there’s one they’ve missed) was a middle-grade graphic novel about two brothers, based loosely on my children. One designs a video game named Super Awesome Danger, and the other gets trapped in it.

It’s a whole lot of fun. We’ve moved forward on working on some test images for the graphic novel, and I thought I’d share those with you! We’ll be producing this completely in house at Dragonsteel, using Ben McSweeney (who did the Shallan’s Sketchbook illustrations, among others) and Hayley Lazo (artist for the Alcatraz books) to create the art, using my script.

Back in 2019, my son Oliver drew a picture of a creature he named Robog—half robot and half frog—and he gave it to me. I hung it up on my mirror and looked at it every day for many months. Super Awesome Danger started as the story of Robog and developed into a tale of two brothers who design a video game together, and then one gets trapped in it.

Ben McSweeney is doing initial layout on the graphic novel, and Hayley's doing pencils and inks, and while we're still at the beginning of the process, so far it's turning out fantastic. Here's an initial layout by Ben along with some of Hayley's concept art. We're excited to show more of this as the month's progress.

State of the Sanderson 2023 (Dec. 19, 2023)

15 minutes ago, Argenti said:

Along with long chills, Super awesome danger, and the four secret novels, Emberdark is sp7.

Long Chills & Case Dough is a part of Sanderson Curiosities, it's a Prime version of an unpublished book he wrote before he started his career. It was a surprise but not a Secret Project.

Long Chills and Case Dough is a previously unpublished short story, written just before Brandon published his first book. It was released to celebrate the finale of the 2023 "Year of Sanderson," and is published exclusively by Dragonsteel as a "Sanderson Curiosity."

1 minute ago, alder24 said:

Long Chills & Case Dough is a part of Sanderson Curiosities, it's a Prime version of an unpublished book he wrote before he started his career. It was a surprise but not a Secret Project.

Darn. I'm still calling emberdark SP7

On 3/28/2024 at 6:27 AM, The flying spider said:

and the destructive echo of a dead god.

EXCUSE ME SIRE WHAT

which god could this be?? Of the dead ones we know about currently, I think Ambition is the most likely to cause issues in Shadesmar, and it would be really cool to see more on that shard (like other than on threnody). 

It could be a misdirect, but the fact that it says god singular leads me to believe it is not referencing the Dor. In addition I think Brandon would wait for the Elantris sequels to change stuff with the Dor. 

It could be one of the shards we haven't seen yet, but that would be really sad for me - if the last two shards we've seen are already shattered (Virtuosity + this one). 

Im struggling to think of any other dead shard could reasonably have an effect on this story, and im coming up short. Thoughts??

Edited by CtrlAltDepressed

4 minutes ago, CtrlAltDepressed said:

EXCUSE ME SIRE WHAT

which god could this be?? Of the dead ones we know about currently, I think Ambition is the most likely to cause issues in Shadesmar, and it would be really cool to see more on that shard (like other than on threnody). 

It could be a misdirect, but the fact that it says god singular leads me to believe it is not referencing the Dor. In addition I think Brandon would wait for the Elantris sequels to change stuff with the Dor. 

Im struggling to think if any other dead shard could reasonably have an effect on this story, and im coming up short. Thoughts??

The fact that we finally get to see Yolen (even if it ends up just beaing at the beginning of the story) has me thinking it could be Adonalsium

1 minute ago, anna said:

The fact that we finally get to see Yolen (even if it ends up just beaing at the beginning of the story) has me thinking it could be Adonalsium

I would love this, however Brandon has been pretty strict about Ado details being delayed for Dragonsteel. Perhaps this is a little teaser for that, but I don't think he will break that rule. I hope he does though haha

3 hours ago, CtrlAltDepressed said:

EXCUSE ME SIRE WHAT

My first thought was that Patji (the Avatar of Autonomy who replies to Hoids in one of the letters) was the dead god. The fact that the ones abve laughed when Vathi talked about being able to withstand the challanges of difficult masters made me think they thought or knew Patji was no longer a factor. Either that Patji the individual Avatar gets destroys within the events of the Ghostblood trilogy (Mistborn era 3) or that Autonomy iteslf is splintered as a reult of the events of that trilogy. 

On 3/21/2024 at 7:04 PM, CtrlAltDepressed said:

I interpreted it as Rosharans manufacturing other vessels for stormlight other than cut gems.

On 3/21/2024 at 6:46 PM, The Stick said:

What I was shocked by are Shard-Guns. The Radiant clearly had one. The only thing I don't understand is how the power-pack works. Maybe is is a god-metal or an alloy or Cultivation and Honor.

On 3/21/2024 at 7:05 PM, Dofurion said:

At the time the Sixth of th Dusk II preview came out, it was reported that it might contain Dor.

I think there is WoB that said that synthetic gems also worked.

You're probably right, this is some artificial vessel holding investiture (for, etc.).

I also wonder if a shard-gun needs external ammunition, practically speaking, because a ranged projection of the spren itself as a "bullet" seems like it might not work efficiently.

From other examples it takes a lot of concentration to make shard-weapons manifest at range for even limited periods of time, like when adolin has to concentrate really hard to throw Maya and keep her manifested after leaving his hand.... although that's with an unbonded/deadeye spren and not a radiant bond...so...?. Nevertheless, spren can't venture too far from you just generally, which would seem to make any manifestation of the spren-as-projectile more limited than an actual projectile.  Also, if bonded spren can manifest as viable/practical projectile weapons all on their own, why haven't we seen that yet? e.g. - A shard crossbow seems like it would be pretty game-changing in SA1-5 (a lot more efficient than a sword or spear) and its kind of implausible to me that zero radiants by SA4 would have realized that and tried it out if it really was so easy.  Caveat there is ranged shard-weapon capabilities may just be a 4th/5th ideal thing which would also explain why it hasn't been seen....maybe SA5 is going to be shard-crossbow fights in the sky and stuff haha

Anyway, because of ^these things, it's been my general theory that a shard-gun would seem to require or at least be most practical with external ammunition - e.g. the spren-gun launches some bullet-like projectile so the spren themselves doesn't have to extend to range.  So I wonder if the "power-pack" as Dusk describes it could have two functions - holding a power source plus holding ammunition.  I don't know, maybe I'm overthinking this🤷‍♂️.

Edited by NH2316

5 minutes ago, NH2316 said:

Anyway, because of ^these things, it's been my general theory that a shard-gun would seem to require or at least be most practical with external ammunition - e.g. the spren-gun launches some bullet-like projectile so the spren themselves doesn't have to extend to range.  So I wonder if the "power-pack" as Dusk describes it could have two functions - holding a power source plus holding ammunition.  I don't know, maybe I'm overthinking this🤷‍♂️.

Im not sure what of this is spoilers so im going to tag it to be safe

Spoiler

I dont think you're overthinking it. The shard-crossbow is a good question, and I think the spren distance is what is preventing that. In addition, I dont think Roshar has crossbows....at all (i dont remember mention of one)? That isnt to say that an actual shardbow isnt possible, but I don't think a spren seperating themselves into two physical pieces with one able to leave the immediate area is possible. 

My interpretation of a shardgun is basically a magical plasma rifle. The spren compresses the stormlight held within to a critical point, then releases it down the barrel, creating excessive heat and force. Alternatively I could see the spren using the stormlight in the power pack as fuel for creating a seperate physical manifestation as the projectile which can vanish to nothing instead of them needing to recoup it (which i assume is the case with their 'default' body).

OR another theory I came up with while writing this, what if the powerpack is a soulcasting fabrial? It uses the stormlight within to soulcast a bullet out of thin air. This would allow for stone bullets - sorry allomancers!

2 minutes ago, CtrlAltDepressed said:

OR another theory I came up with while writing this, what if the powerpack is a soulcasting fabrial? It uses the stormlight within to soulcast a bullet out of thin air. This would allow for stone bullets - sorry allomancers!

I LOVE this.  That would be an incredibly cool explanation, and fit into the Roshar-Scadrian conflict in an interesting way

On 4/2/2024 at 5:20 AM, Hoids4thApprentice said:

My first thought was that Patji (the Avatar of Autonomy who replies to Hoids in one of the letters) was the dead god. The fact that the ones abve laughed when Vathi talked about being able to withstand the challanges of difficult masters made me think they thought or knew Patji was no longer a factor. Either that Patji the individual Avatar gets destroys within the events of the Ghostblood trilogy (Mistborn era 3) or that Autonomy iteslf is splintered as a reult of the events of that trilogy. 

Patji did say to Hoid that they thought they were the most well-hidden out of all the Avatars. But Patji is no longer there as of SotD. So who knows? We'll probably find out as Dusk Worldhops (Which is going to be my favorite part, we'll get to see Worldhopping in action!) that it might be common knowledge that Autonomy recalled all Avatars to centralize her power to avoid getting stretched thin in a galactic scale war. 

Harmony/Discord on one side, and probably Odium on another. Who knows what else. Maybe the Dor gets a brain and starts to Devotedly Dominate all opposition.

I am slowly listening my way through the latest Emberdark reactions Shardcast (a side effect of parenting two chaosspren small children). I just reached the part where the 'cast talked about if larger ships, like the Dynamic, could pass through "pool-sized" perpendicularities.

My first thought was to Puddle Jumpers from Stargate Atlantis. These space shuttles were designed specifically to pass perfectly through the circular Stargates, which were 6-7m in diameter.

puddle_jumper_sga.jpg

It's really surreal that after like a decade of us theorizing about that tiny glimpse of the Sixth sequel, future scadrians and a possible Fused Skybreakers, shard guns..so many times people would be like WTF?? Haha since it was hidden in the arcanum. 

Sunlit kind of scratched that itch, but holy crap now we're actually getting that sequel. I doubt we'll see much of the other shardworlds since dusk goes into shadesmar though..and somehow also getting Frost/Yolen details, I remember everyone discussing frosts letter to Hoid like 15 years ago, I feel old. 

seems like it will be a blend of Triss and Sunlit, not just because Xixis is in it. I can't wait, the details about space age cosmere we got in triss/Yumi/sunlit were the best parts.

also Sunlit set up why Nazh would become a shade since he's from threnody. Wonder how he died..seems like he's dressed in Era 2 scadrian clothes, scoping out Wax & Wayne with khriss and got taken out? After centuries with silverlight how the hell would he get ganked. Maybe Kel haha. It's just frustrating we won't get books set in this era for real until like 2035, after era 3/Elantris sequels.. 

On 4/1/2024 at 11:20 PM, Hoids4thApprentice said:

Maybe Patji is not dead god, but still is wierd to me that Autonomy or Taldain is not mention at all. Taldain supose to be one of more important forces in Cosmere and now we dont have anything about them. Is she dead? She chalanged Sazed and lost? Maybe this is what triggered Scadrian Expansion? Maybe Scadrian - Taldain all out war was first (First Cosmere War?) and Scadrial won.

Second thing. I dont think we get other planets, maybe Dhatri, but I think we will see Silverlight at last. There are only few forces in Cosmere where Dusk can go for help. Yolen is one. Dhatri (and other Aether worlds) is second. Sel is third. Taldain is forth (if still exists). Nalthis is fifth. And Silverlight is another. And Silverlight is in Shadesmar, as main comunication center. So I hope for Silverlight.

2 hours ago, Bzhydack said:

Second thing. I dont think we get other planets, maybe Dhatri, but I think we will see Silverlight at last. There are only few forces in Cosmere where Dusk can go for help. Yolen is one. Dhatri (and other Aether worlds) is second. Sel is third. Taldain is forth (if still exists). Nalthis is fifth. And Silverlight is another. And Silverlight is in Shadesmar, as main comunication center. So I hope for Silverlight.

Probably Silverlight, since they seem to be a powerful faction in this Cosmere-wide conflicts. They've even set up rules of conduct based on stuff brought up in The Sunlit Man, with the Scadrian Scientists needing to follow the rule of not being obligated to interfere with events on Canticle. It was said to be part of the Silverlight Accords or something like that.

So Silverlight is likely where Dusk is heading, then he'll probably be swamped with dumb politicking and all that. Scholars would probably be more interested since getting to First of the Sun is pretty difficult. Maybe we'll see Khriss.

39 minutes ago, JustQuestin2004 said:

Probably Silverlight, since they seem to be a powerful faction in this Cosmere-wide conflicts. They've even set up rules of conduct based on stuff brought up in The Sunlit Man, with the Scadrian Scientists needing to follow the rule of not being obligated to interfere with events on Canticle. It was said to be part of the Silverlight Accords or something like that.

So Silverlight is likely where Dusk is heading, then he'll probably be swamped with dumb politicking and all that. Scholars would probably be more interested since getting to First of the Sun is pretty difficult. Maybe we'll see Khriss.

Maybe even those Accords will be signed because of Dusk? Maybe we will see this exact action.