LG95 Night Two: Fault

Sart's death had to mean something. It had to. The 17th Shard may have changed over the millenia, but the core tenets were still the same. Nonintervention, unless the cosmere itself was at stake. Perhaps it now was, but to kill an innocent...

Someone had to mean something.

Someone had to know.

Someone had to PAY.

And so someone was found, accused of being at fault. For Sart's death, for Autonomy and Ruin and Odium's release, for whatever. They were known for a line of ones with strange alliances.

And so Felt Jr., another innocent, died.

TheAlpha929 was executed! They were a 17th Shard Researcher!

The Avatar PIANO has been created on Scadrial!

Vote Count:

• TheAlpha929 (4): Kasimir, DeTess, xinoeph512, Matrim's Dice
  • Matrim's Dice (1): |TJ|
  • Fifth Scholar (1): Archer
  • xinoeph512 (1): Elandera
  • Szeth_Pancakes (1): Araris Valerian

Night Two has begun!

One other thing I want to mention, because I've seen it discussed a little bit and commented on in non-thread places: the design intent behind the (non-Autonomy) Independent Shardic Win Conditions is that none will be directly opposing a main faction win condition. Some may be more opposing to one faction than another, and some Shards may be more opposing to each other, but in theory any faction should be able to win alongside any of the Independent Shards. (There is also some design intent that, in theory, multiple people can win off the win condition of the same Shard, but I'm not sure how successful I was with that in practice + the clause that you will never be converted to a strictly impossible win condition still applies.)

This turn will end on 10:00 PM PDT / 5:00 AM GMT (+1 Day) on June 12th, in 24 hours, approximately. I do have work until about 11, but for this time I'm going to end the turn at the usual time and figure out how long that will actually make the rollover pause take and/or how feasible it is for @Amanuensis to do rollover solo. If that becomes not feasible rollover will likely change. (Also thank you Aman for handling so much, you're a lifesaver and I will continue to say so <3 ).

Shard Status:

Spoiler
  • Ambition:       CONTAINED
  • Autonomy:     BREACHED
  • Cultivation:    CONTAINED
  • Devotion:       CONTAINED
  • Dominion:      CONTAINED
  • Endowment:  CONTAINED
  • Honor:            CONTAINED
  • Invention:       CONTAINED
  • Mercy:            CONTAINED
  • Odium:           BREACHED
  • Preservation: CONTAINED
  • Prudence:      CONTAINED
  • Ruin:               BREACHED
  • Survival:         CONTAINED
  • Whimsy:         CONTAINED
  • Valor:              CONTAINED

Player List:

Spoiler
  1. @The Known Novel - Ivam the Mad
  2. @Kasimir - Evgeny Karamazov 
  3. @The Wandering Wizard - The Poet
  4. @Fifth Scholar - Dr. Mattithias Gunther
  5. @Szeth_Pancakes - Liene
  6. @|TJ| - Al
  7. @DeTess - Tessa DeLoren
  8. @Archer - Oliver Cosmos
  9. @JNV - Jai
  10. @xinoehp512 - Xorial
  11. @The Last Fæ -
  12. @DrakeMarshall - Adjunct Professor Uther
  13. @Matrim's Dice - Sir Arren Brockett
  14. Sart - 17th Shard Researcher
  15. @STINK - 
  16. @Elandera - Telan
  17. @Araris Valerian - 
  18. @Walin -  
  19. TheAlpha929 - Felt Jr. - 17th Shard Researcher
  20. @Channelknight Fadran -
  21. @Turtle - Letta Turson
  22. VOCALS
  23. PIANO

Clarifications:

Spoiler
  • You may only pass one Charge of Investiture or one Shard in a Passing action.
  • Charges of Investiture (whether Autonomy Charges or other Charges) held by Autonomous Players do not count towards the Autonomous Sudden Death Win Condition.
  • Multiple factions can win at the same time if they complete their (Normal or SD) win conditions at the same time. I don't think there's a way to get all 4 main factions to win at the same time, but if you all find one... congratulations?
  • Invention's Investment Ability can be used on Avatars, which will grant Invention an Autonomy Charge.
  • All actions are limited to once per cycle, unless otherwise noted (Autonomy's Shardic, Whimsy's Shardic, and Researcher returning Shards to Containment).
  • Vessel Action and Vessel Shield do not stack. Vessels can "gain" them from other sources, but that only matters if they pass their Shard while they would still have Vessel Action/Vessel Shield from another source.
  • Avatars can exist on the same Shardworld as each other.
  • Shardworlds get a new Doc each time the player list on that Shardworld changes.
  • Avatars and players will be put in the player list for each Shardworld Doc (i.e. you can't pretend you're not there).
  • Shardworld presences are not publicized in thread.
  • Hoid and Khriss's Conversions take place before Shardic Inheritance from Breaching (or other reasons).
  • Consuming Investiture does take actions.
  • Charges of Investiture that are used then Roleblocked are lost, as are Charges of Investiture used on a Roleblocked Shardworld action.
  • Hoid and Khriss do not lose Conversion Charges on Roleblocked or failed conversions.
  • In the event that Hoid and Khriss target the same player for conversion, both conversions fail.
  • The only abilities that contribute to Shardic Breaching are Researcher Siphons, Khriss's double-Siphon, and Hoid's Sabotage.
  • Returned keep the alignment and win condition they died with when they Return.
  • Valor Charges cannot be used on yourself.
  • Worldhopping is only a Day action.
  • Two players using actions to create 1-on-1 PMs with each other will consume both Charges/actions/etc and only create 1 PM.
  • Avatars only count as players for the Autonomous win condition, not for other factions' win conditions.
  • Avatars in Shardworlds and Ambition in the Cognitive Realm should speak in bold - other players should not (a bit for emphasis is okay, just don't write entire sentences).
  • You cannot create PMs with Avatars.
  • [Insert speech about Shardic Intent design here]
  • You cannot cut players in half.

5 minutes ago, Matrim's Dice said:

I stayed up late for that waaa

Also I’ve been successfully pocketed by Autonomy and will be heading to Scadrial as soon as possible

I woke up to that -.-

Should've gone back to Xino, huh. Or should've probably spent a lot more time going over the options.

3 minutes ago, Kasimir said:

I woke up to that -.-

Should've gone back to Xino, huh. Or should've probably spent a lot more time going over the options.

Let your chill game be chill, man :P Not saying we shouldn’t care about the mix but you ought to let yourself not carry the village one time ever

2 hours ago, Matrim's Dice said:

Let your chill game be chill, man :P Not saying we shouldn’t care about the mix but you ought to let yourself not carry the village one time ever

Trying :|

I need to file a restraining order against Autonomy at this juncture. I think I'm being stalked :|

Edited to add: I guess I would just say this. I do believe that if you're voting to exe someone who might be a Villager, i.e. you aren't dead sure, then you at least owe it to them to have given it your best shot. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edited to add 2:

Things I still would like resolved:

• @xinoehp512's three hour self-pres vote - why, and why Alpha of all the trains, given that your count demonstrated Turtle was also up for the exe?
  • @Archer's sudden decision to suggest a no exe, without bringing this up on N0 or D1.
  • @Elandera - you were on Xino prior to Xino's self-pres vote. What motivated this?
  • @Fifth Scholar - I'm interested in why you feel you're alright with principle-lynching a player for saying that the game setting is different, without remotely suggesting that people play it like a faction game.
  • @DeTess - Can I re-check what your Archer case is again?
  • Probably more things but I need sleep and I don't want to take up that play niche, so to hell with it.
Edited by Kasimir

@Kasimir The way they engaged with me N0 reminded me a lot of their last LG with how they came in with questions that seemed to be intended to start creating suspicion but then immediately backed off again once I answered. Apart form that most of their interactions haven't flipped too far one way or another, but that first thing stuck in my mind as that same action also made me suspicious last LG. I've been gone for a long while so don't have a longer meta-view on them to see if that was actually a tell or not.

Anyway, I think the two shards we should probably aim to get out of the slammer this night are honor to serve as a counterweight on case Odium goes rogue, and Dominion to give people the ability to self-protect. Any others that would be useful right now? I think we should settle on a set of no more than three if we actually want to have decent chances of breaking them out.

That EOD looks all kinds of wrong. For one, you tried to kill me! Or rather, floated it because actually moving your vote would trigger some panic reactions, Mat. DeTess. People I'd vote for tomorrow. 

4 hours ago, Kasimir said:

Trying :|

I need to file a restraining order against Autonomy at this juncture. I think I'm being stalked :|

Edited to add: I guess I would just say this. I do believe that if you're voting to exe someone who might be a Villager, i.e. you aren't dead sure, then you at least owe it to them to have given it your best shot. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edited to add 2:

Things I still would like resolved:

• @xinoehp512's three hour self-pres vote - why, and why Alpha of all the trains, given that your count demonstrated Turtle was also up for the exe?
  • @Archer's sudden decision to suggest a no exe, without bringing this up on N0 or D1.
  • @Elandera -
  • @Fifth Scholar
  • @DeTess
  •  

You're misinterpreting my statement. To a villager who knows they're a villager and wants to survive, not dying is better than dying. Fifth made a comment to the effect of 'I'll die just to make some progress here', and my comment was in relation to that. I'm not seriously advocating for no exes since it creates its own host of problems regarding the successful application of pressure, but I would argue that intentionally shooting villagers is a worse strat than killing no one at all. 

I’m more interested in xino being concerned enough with dying after one passing vote and no conversation regarding him. Were I in his shoes, I would not find self pres necessary. Almost makes me want to switch there tbh

Edit: I guess I am in his shoes to an extent, lol. Retroactively proved myself right :P.

My quick read of that was that I think the leading wagon pre them voting was two and they were at one so they were on the cusp. Enough that because they opening called it a self pres instead of being sneaky, and they left enough time to be judged for it, it didn't look sus to me. Willing to revisit. (Have I mentioned not liking the Alpha train's sudden appearance?) 

1 hour ago, Archer said:

You're misinterpreting my statement. To a villager who knows they're a villager and wants to survive, not dying is better than dying. Fifth made a comment to the effect of 'I'll die just to make some progress here', and my comment was in relation to that. I'm not seriously advocating for no exes since it creates its own host of problems regarding the successful application of pressure, but I would argue that intentionally shooting villagers is a worse strat than killing no one at all. 

I was going "I guess maybe that's V-ish? IDK calling for a no-exe is kind of weird and just plain wrong." But I guess life never is that easy. Yeah okay, but I struggle to see that, sort of. From a Village perspective, this is Day #2 of no exe. I don't think it's irrational to decide based off several factors:

• If you aren't flipped, people will keep arguing about you (admittedly contentious; you might become more readable, which implies potentially a further corollary, e.g. limited time to commit) - if you feel you are going to keep sucking Village bandwidth, it's better to cut that short so discussion can progress
  • It's better to give the Village certainty of the flip and let them form reads around the exe, with one known result. Otherwise yes, no numerical harm, but it's like playing flipless.
  • (Side-question: have we considered the fact there are resurrection mechanics if Endowment gets out of the bottle?)
  • I kind of want to recheck chronology here, e.g. whether Fifth saw this happening with Turtle and decided to go there.

On my part, I'll say I do associate this sort of play a bit more with V!Fifth than E- feel E!Fifth is more willing to fight to the end. I guess he could be tired, but still. @|TJ| @DeTess @DrakeMarshall, @Elandera - just flagging a few people off the top of my head with E!Fifth playhistory, since I can't @ Devo.

One more question for you, Archer. How do you compare this to Turtle's refusal to self-pres, and what's your current read of both?

59 minutes ago, Turtle said:

feel like more people should be voting ik im guilty of this too but we didnt even have half the possible people voting

y e p

wrote a rant about it, dumped into GM PM because Not My Problem THis Game, Village will do whatever it wants, I will do whatever I want.

tldr; people seem to imagine the game will be solved entirely by Shards. I look forward to them deciding what to actually do with the Shards with an anaemic thread.

3 hours ago, DeTess said:

@Kasimir The way they engaged with me N0 reminded me a lot of their last LG with how they came in with questions that seemed to be intended to start creating suspicion but then immediately backed off again once I answered. Apart form that most of their interactions haven't flipped too far one way or another, but that first thing stuck in my mind as that same action also made me suspicious last LG. I've been gone for a long while so don't have a longer meta-view on them to see if that was actually a tell or not.

Hmmmm. I will say I dislike the Szeth push as I feel Archer should know better, having had an alright read on Szeth in QF66 (which I just ran), or at least a provisional one, though I think Archer might have thought Szeth was Evil there too until he flipped V. That push does make me feel ???.

In general, my sense is that he's engaging more broadly on the whole than in LG94, which I find skews a bit closer to QF66, but that's a broad impression that I need a re-read to pin down more precisely.

I guess to precisify, Archer's hovering right in that sweet spot between V!Archer engagement and E!Archer busywork for me and I'm not sure which it is. I pushed him a bit harder than I needed to on the Shardworlds notion (N1) because V!Archer sometimes gets an idea I find kayana and then sticks to it in a way I find E!Archer is less willing to. I'm not firm on how good a tell this is because I probably have a <50% success rate in IDing E!Archer, but at the same time, it does make me want to lean V on him.

But my disclaimer is that when I say my read on Archer cycles, it pretty much changes everytime I relook him so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

1 hour ago, Archer said:

My quick read of that was that I think the leading wagon pre them voting was two and they were at one so they were on the cusp. Enough that because they opening called it a self pres instead of being sneaky, and they left enough time to be judged for it, it didn't look sus to me. Willing to revisit. (Have I mentioned not liking the Alpha train's sudden appearance?) 

That's what I was going back and forth on at EoD - I do want to know why Xino had an Alpha preference to Turtle, but that being said, LG90 does show he will self-pres in advance. But I think Mat's point is that there's something off about being so hypersensitive about being voted in a thread where you weren't mentioned as a candidate, Elan was apparently a pike vote, and ties don't kill.

1 hour ago, Archer said:

That EOD looks all kinds of wrong. For one, you tried to kill me! Or rather, floated it because actually moving your vote would trigger some panic reactions, Mat. DeTess. People I'd vote for tomorrow. 

You did realize Mat wasn't actually in favor of moving the vote on you, right? And the whole thing was triggered by Kasimir stating he didn't really like choosing between the two active wagons, which triggered my post to open up the possibility of moving elsewhere.

This honestly feels less like a villager annoyed they almost got hammered, and more like an elim using some last-minute discussion to throw suspicion around. The villager would have looked at what actually went down in more detail before picking targets...

I s2g my read keeps yo-yoing with this back and forth.

I'm not going to let myself think about anything Archer-related or anything not-rave related tonight to detox.

I'll come back tomorrow if only because it's seriously annoying me that I can't get any lock on this.

6 hours ago, Kasimir said:

you were on Xino prior to Xino's self-pres vote. What motivated this?

It was partly a stab vote to prompt action, and partly a gut read. I've watched e!xino often enough and was picking up similar patterns and wanted to see how he reacted. The super early self-pres seems pretty indicative.

Also, my response last turn was more working off memory of my last time seeing xino elim. 

Edited by Elandera

pretty solid v-read on Araris, courtesy of my gut-reaction on their Szeth vote. i think e!araris tends to move votes and i do think he ends up on one of the main wagons more often than not.

1 hour ago, Kasimir said:

On my part, I'll say I do associate this sort of play a bit more with V!Fifth than E- feel E!Fifth is more willing to fight to the end. I guess he could be tired, but still. @|TJ| @DeTess @DrakeMarshall, @Elandera - just flagging a few people off the top of my head with E!Fifth playhistory, since I can't @ Devo.

agreed that returned mechanism is meddling with how i want to read it. without it, probably leaning evil. agreed that e!fifth fights more, but e!fifth also uses village appeasement techniques like the one we witnessed.

5 hours ago, Kasimir said:

Wait, have I?

My main point of reference for analyzing Fifth in this game has been our time together as Jedi bros, which... Admittedly has some similarities to being elims, but we were actually just bloodthirsty and paranoid villagers with a doc as I'm sure you well know :P RIP Alvron my true hero of an apprentice

And I do feel like I'm catching vibes from Fifth that have some parallels with that game. This makes me suspect either Frost or Hoid/Khriss/Bavadin on a gut level. Statistically, the odds point towards it being the latter three, but I could really go either way.

Also, I'm pretty sure I remember several different comments from Fifth in this game which specifically call out the village win con and his connection to it, which... I'm not sure what that means other than that it's interesting. To put it bluntly, the village has a pretty solidly ordinary village win con. Both our SD and our standard win require killing the anti-village players, which means if you're an ordinary villager you don't really need to think about it that much. The strategies that work in most games, generally work here too, and that's a fine starting point. If you're thinking a lot about win cons, that's... slightly indicative of something. Maybe.

However, circling back to your question, you're asking if Fifth declining to self-preserve felt village or elim. And my answer is that I think it felt more village. Fifth is willing to take risks when evil, but I read Fifth's response as fairly genuinely not wanting to go a second cycle in a row with no execution. That's an understandable thing for a villager to want, and I think it's the slightly simpler explanation compared to the one where E!Fifth is doing this to look more village.

So imo that particular piece of evidence is one of the ones that points to V!Fifth, but overall I'm of mixed opinion,.

3 hours ago, |TJ| said:

pretty solid v-read on Araris, courtesy of my gut-reaction on their Szeth vote. i think e!araris tends to move votes and i do think he ends up on one of the main wagons more often than not.

agreed that returned mechanism is meddling with how i want to read it. without it, probably leaning evil. agreed that e!fifth fights more, but e!fifth also uses village appeasement techniques like the one we witnessed.

If you want my opinion, I actually feel like voting on a side train is somewhat e!indicative for Araris.

You're right that v!Araris doesn't like switching votes needlessly, but why v!Araris do like that is because he feels strongly about making his vote count and having an impact, and he believes that if you switch your vote a lot it cheapens the pressure. Parking a vote on a side train is superficially similar but is actually the opposite of that.

Not to say that v!Araris never ever goes on a side train, especially if he doesn't like the main options, but. I think overall it points more E than V.

Tune in next time for more Drake Takes :D

Edited by DrakeMarshall

38 minutes ago, The Wandering Wizard said:

I think Mat is Autonomy, that is all. 

I totally would name my avatars after music etc and then publicly appreciate it, I’ll give you that

But it is a tad obvious for me (see: under my username) and honestly I don’t think I’d be that creative with my naming. Wish it were true though 

2 minutes ago, Matrim's Dice said:

I totally would name my avatars after music etc and then publicly appreciate it, I’ll give you that

But it is a tad obvious for me (see: under my username) and honestly I don’t think I’d be that creative with my naming. Wish it were true though 

Ngl if it turns out you are Autonomy:

Please stop stalking me >:(

Turtle 

we need a death today. I’m not going to self-vote because Mat would kill me, and it’d work against the village, but if there’s no appetite for Turtle or Fadran than I’m willing to get mowed under so there’s at least no black hole of discussion around me. Not like I’m doing anything terribly productive with my life anyway, though if I do survive at least I’ll be off shift for the Night and be able to contribute a bit more. TJ and Elan are still my Khriss and Hoid guesses, respectively, I have ideas about Frost but am not publicising them for obvious reasons, and I have no best Bavadin guess. If Bavadin’s smart, she’s already passed the Shard anyway to make a convert, so hunting her down specifically is less relevant unless we get Ruin and Odium contained again (lol).

Annoyingly, I think I was wrong about this post. My memory of it was that Fifth reacted to my poke vote quite dramatically. Which is true, but they 1) backed away from their Turtle vote that was keeping them out of danger, 2) explicitly discuss them being a discussion sink. I'll buy the prevailing theory that this is villagey. 

As for Turtle, I'm always wary of people pulling a TBB where they decline to self pres to make people like Mat trust them for a while, but they lurk and absolutely do self pres at EoD. But I'm feeling generous, so village points to Turtle for being a depressed villager 

9 hours ago, DeTess said:

You did realize Mat wasn't actually in favor of moving the vote on you, right? And the whole thing was triggered by Kasimir stating he didn't really like choosing between the two active wagons, which triggered my post to open up the possibility of moving elsewhere.

This honestly feels less like a villager annoyed they almost got hammered, and more like an elim using some last-minute discussion to throw suspicion around. The villager would have looked at what actually went down in more detail before picking targets...

Honestly I flipped back to my last read post and skimmed the rest of the cycle, mostly looking for vote movements. Anything not actually in red or green didn't sink in too deeply. I tend to look at the Night writeup, then back read EoD, but usually talking about the writeup results is more intriguing so I don't delve too deeply into EoD stuff until I'm doing serious backreading. 

I'd argue being very willing to compromise at EoD betrays a lack of villager conviction. So either y'all need to stick to your guns and shoot me already, or you don't really care who dies. :P. 

9 hours ago, Elandera said:

It was partly a stab vote to prompt action, and partly a gut read. I've watched e!xino often enough and was picking up similar patterns and wanted to see how he reacted. The super early self-pres seems pretty indicative.

Also, my response last turn was more working off memory of my last time seeing xino elim. 

Elandera comes across as very confident in this read, which strikes me as odd except for the fact that I can't fault her reasoning. Only flag then would be not really branching out to other suspects. 

7 minutes ago, Archer said:

As for Turtle, I'm always wary of people pulling a TBB where they decline to self pres to make people like Mat trust them for a while, but they lurk and absolutely do self pres at EoD. But I'm feeling generous, so village points to Turtle for being a depressed villager 

Do I really decline to self pres that often? 

Cough. I completely forgot to put in an action, and I haven't yet caught up on the thread. I'll do that soon enough, but for now I also have some other stuff to do today so it'll probably be after rollover.

----------------

Trukal learned the basics of juggling two roughly spherical objects while he considered his next move. It turned out that this was harder than it seemed at first glance, but that it lent itself well to transitioning to three objects. He was probably going to die before getting around to three, but a man might as well try.

4 minutes ago, The Bald Brandon said:

Do I really decline to self pres that often? 

Is my memory serves, you said something like 'I won't self pres here'. Then when nothing changed, you indeed self presed with minutes to go. Sneaky behavior. 

I acknowledge the intrigue of you trying to be selective with your target by floating DeTess as a CW, but you could argue that that's just to move my vote off you, so you were probably just going by who you thought I'd be down to vote for. 

Note to self, fact check if I expressed willingness to vote DeTess. If yes, sus TBB. If no, village points to them. 

38 minutes ago, Archer said:

I'd argue being very willing to compromise at EoD betrays a lack of villager conviction. So either y'all need to stick to your guns and shoot me already, or you don't really care who dies. :P. 

I'd argue the opposite: Elims know what the target/back-up target is and are ok with it. Villagers have fog-of-war, so can be more easily made to doubt or to re-evaluate because they ideally want to get things right.

Edited to add: I'll note the C3 issue should still be looked at for TBB.

Edited by Kasimir

57 minutes ago, Archer said:

Elandera comes across as very confident in this read, which strikes me as odd except for the fact that I can't fault her reasoning. Only flag then would be not really branching out to other suspects.

I find this flag odd. I've had Xino as an exe target for less than a cycle. How is that not branching out? Is it because I haven't posted a reads list or chimed in on the circular arguments about the same three players?

Edit: That sounded more aggressive than I meant it. What I meant was that I simply haven't seen much I felt the need to comment on because it had already been said (usually more than once). 

Edited by Elandera