Szeth-son-son-Vallano, Truthless of Shinovar, was dead.

Every passing day, Szeth realized that his Truthless-ness had been dead for a long time. He'd died at the Battle of Narak, and been reborn as... something. Something not quite right. But a second chance was more than many got. Particularly more than a stonewalker like him.

But that was one of the many lies he'd discovered that the Shin told him anyway.

So Szeth, Skybreaker, nodded to the men around him. Dalinar's chosen. The Alethi had been hesitant to allow Szeth away from him so soon after the events of Thaylen Field, but once he'd told him about the treasure the Shin had been guarding for so many years - the very treasure that Szeth had used a part of to kill the man's own brother - he agreed to the mission immediately. He even sent soldiers and his Captain of the Guard: Kaladin, the Windrunner who'd freed him. Even if it was by trying - and mostly succeeding - to kill him.

"It's time to go," Kaladin said. "Odium's forces have been close to Shinovar for some time. We need to get there before they do."

Szeth nodded, checking his sphere pouches and scabbard for a third time. He couldn't imagine accidentally leaving sword-nimi behind, but doing so would prove more than disastrous.

Then the two Radiants inhaled, tapped the remaining warriors, and Lashed them all towards the sky. Towards Shinovar.

"I will cleanse the Shin of their false leaders," he thought to himself.

"I will recover what they stole. The Honorblades. The weapons of the Heralds themselves."

"Perhaps with them, we stand a chance."

The Shin High Council listened to the man before them speak. Rarashe-son-Lurdroler wasn't exactly the most charismatic of the Guardians, but he kept the oaths and was overall Truthful. Which made his report all the more disturbing.

A man guarding the Honorblades attacked. And they were found dead and hanging from the ceiling, Stormlight running from his body. Rarashe said the attacker had fled, but they all knew what this meant.

They'd lost both Honorblades capable of the Surge of Gravitation. One to the man who claimed to be a Herald, one to a man who called himself king. So this attack... it came from one of them. And if Nin-son-God was to be believed, he would never kill an innocent guardsman.

There were infiltrators afoot in Shinovar. They knew of the Honorblades. And they weren't afraid.

"Call for the Stone Shaman. We need a full investigation of this," said the lead councilman after a brief bout of whispering. "We can't lose our advantage."

Eventually they found the main entry point on their city border: a causeway with Lashed bodies and disarmed men. There were two other points: one where a guard had vanished, another where they'd simply been strangled. Multiple incursions, although only one was a large group.

So their Honorblades were under attack. Well, they wouldn't lose them without a fight.

Welcome to Long Game 72: The Secret of Shinovar! I, @Ashbringer, will be the GM with @Elandera as my co-GM and ________ as an IM. This game revolves around the concept of Szeth's Fourth Ideal, of returning to Shinovar and getting revenge for being falsely made Truthless, along with him and Kaladin collecting the Honorblades the Shin still have to use in the fight against Odium. I'd also like to note that while this game is a post-Oathbringer concept, it does NOT contain any spoilers for Rhythm of War unless I somehow managed to predict it correctly. I haven't read the book yet... so please keep it as spoiler-free as possible.

There are two types of roles in this game, Unique roles and Honorblade roles. Honorblades are transferable; they can be passed around and upon the Bearer’s death they will go to a new player. Players carrying an Honorblade are called "Honorblade Bearers" or simply "Bearers", while the actual Honorblade uses the name of the corresponding Herald. Unique roles will be given to individual players and remain with them for the rest of the game (like normal roles) or until that player is eliminated. They are, as implied, each Unique.

Basics:

Spoiler
  • Cycles will be split into 48-hour Days and 24-hour Nights, with rollover starting at 5:00 PST and taking... however long it takes.
  • The Shin High Council is the Village faction, and must eliminate all of Szeth’s Cohort to win.
  • Szeth’s Cohort is the Eliminator faction, and must reach parity with the Shin High Council OR have control over all 7 Shin Honorblades at the end of any turn to win. They have an Elim doc to work with and a faction kill each Night.
  • The Truthless must win by being lynched. This will not end the game.
  • In addition, there are two secret roles: each has their own unique win condition(s). Upon winning, they will immediately be removed from the game; however, this will not end the game.
  • PMs are closed unless opened with Abrasion, where they will be opened for 1-2 turns.
  • Each player is limited to one action per turn (one Day, one Night), including the Elim kill.
  • There is a lynch every day turn; the lynch has a vote minimum of 2 and ties will be decided randomly.

Honorblade Roles:

Spoiler

Honorblade Bearer: Honorblade Bearers carry one of the seven Shin Honorblades, which each give them access to two Surges as actions. They also gain 2 Stormlight charges every Highstorm (every 3 turns), which does carry over if left unused before the next Highstorm. Individuals can carry multiple Honorblades to get more Surges, but they do not gain more Stormlight. Individuals who lose their Honorblades retain their Stormlight, but will not gain more during Highstorms.

When an Honorblade Bearer is killed during the night, the killer has one turn (the next day turn) to claim one of their Honorblades for themselves. If it goes unclaimed, it will be given to a random player at the end of the day turn. Whether the killer claimed the Honorblade is not announced, and they may only claim one Honorblade if the Bearer had multiple - the rest will go directly to random players. When an Honorblade Bearer is lynched, their blade(s) will be given to random player(s). Their role in the writeup will be described as "Bearer of ____'s Honorblade".

As a Night action, a player with Honorblades can transfer control of any number of their Honorblades to any number of other players. They won’t know who gave them the Honorblade. The transferring player keeps any Stormlight they have, but will not gain any Stormlight in Highstorms until they gain another Honorblade; the new Bearer must wait for the next Highstorm to get new Stormlight or can use any Stormlight they previously gained.

Note that the Shin do not currently possess Jezrien's Honorblade, Nale's Honorblade, or Taln's Honorblade.

• Chanarach’s Honorblade:
    • Division and Abrasion

• Vedel’s Honorblade:
    • Abrasion and Progression

• Pailiah’s Honorblade:
    • Progression and Illumination

• Shalash’s Honorblade:
    • Illumination and Transformation

• Battar’s Honorblade:
    • Transformation and Transportation

• Kalak’s Honorblade:
    • Transportation and Cohesion

• Ishar’s Honorblade:
    • Tension and Adhesion

Surges:

Spoiler

Surges are granted by Honorblades or by innate Radiant abilities. They can be used by consuming one Stormlight charge for an action.

• Adhesion: Cancel target player’s vote. (Day only)
  • Gravitation: Learns who the target’s target this Night turn is, if any. If they have multiple targets, only one is learned. (Night only)
  • Division: Kill target player. (Night only)
  • Abrasion: Open PMs for the cycle. If used during the Day, opens PMs for the next Night turn; if used during the Night, opens PMs for the next Day turn and next Night turn. (Day or Night)
  • Progression: Save target player from death. (Night only)
  • Illumination: Prevent any roleblocks, scans, or vote manip targeting self and target other player. Blocks Adhesion, Gravitation, Transformation, Transportation, and Cohesion. (Day or Night)
  • Transformation: You will learn if target player carries an Honorblade. If you use this ability on them again, and they carry the same blade, you will learn which blade. Can only find one Honorblade at a time.  (Night only)
  • Transportation: Roleblock target player. (Day or Night)
  • Cohesion: Add a vote to target player. (Day only)
  • Tension: Grant two charges of Stormlight to target other player. (Day or Night)

Unique Roles:

Spoiler
  • Stone Shaman: Village-Only, unique. The Stone Shaman is in charge of the Honorblades: while he has taken an Oath not to use their powers, he is perfectly capable of preventing any misuse of them.
    • The Stone Shaman cannot gain Stormlight, but is also immune to the lynch, and is immune to all night kills while the Truthless is alive (excluding Nightblood).
    • List: At the end of each Day cycle, the Stone Shaman receives a list of everyone with an Honorblade and how many they have (but not which Honorblades).
    • Reclaim: Once per night as an action, the Stone Shaman can reclaim all Honorblades from a single target, removing them from the target and returning control of the blades to the Shaman. This ability can only be used if the Stone Shaman is not currently holding an Honorblade.
    • The Stone Shaman can only keep a hold of one Honorblade at a time - if due to Blade transfers the Stone Shaman ends up with multiple Honorblades, they must use their action to transfer down to 1 Honorblade the next night turn.

• Truthless: Neutral, unique. The Truthless is an individual who replaced Szeth after he departed Shinovar, and is the Oath-bound servant to the Stone Shaman. However, they're not exactly happy about the situation, and will do anything to free themselves from their bond - even if they only get a fleeting breath of freedom.
    • While the Truthless is alive, the Stone Shaman is immune to night kills.
    • The Truthless wins only by getting lynched. This win will not end the game, but will expose the Stone Shaman to attacks at night.

• Kaladin: Elim-Only, Unique. Kaladin has been sent to “supervise” Szeth, and isn’t terribly happy about it… but he will fight with the fury of a Highstorm to gather the Honorblades. He knows they will be needed in the fight against Odium.
    • Radiant: Kaladin gains 3 Stormlight every Highstorm instead of two. This third Stormlight charge cannot be used for Honorblades, only Radiant powers and Nightblood (if he ever happens to get it).
    • Windrunner: Kaladin can use the Surges of Adhesion and Gravitation without an Honorblade.

• Szeth: Elim-Only, Unique. Szeth is a budding Skybreaker intent on fulfilling his Fourth Ideal by “cleansing” the Shin, and has a very powerful Blade to finish the job…
    • Radiant: Szeth gains 3 Stormlight every Highstorm instead of two. This third Stormlight charge cannot be used for Honorblades, only Radiant powers and Nightblood.
    • Skybreaker: Szeth can use the Surge of Gravitation without an Honorblade (fortunately, Nale never got around to teaching him Division…).
    • Szeth is also the Bearer of Nightblood (initially). Nightblood acts like an extension of Szeth’s role while Szeth is alive and like an Honorblade after Szeth’s death. While Nightblood is held by Szeth, it is hidden to the Stone Shamans’s lists and Transformation, and can’t be transferred or reclaimed. Once Szeth is killed or lynched, Nightblood is distributed as an Honorblade, and from then on behaves like an Honorblade (titled Nightblood) in relation to the Stone Shaman, Transformation, and Blade transfers.

• Bearer of Nightblood: Initially Elim only (same player as Szeth).
    • Gains 2 Stormlight every Highstorm (if that ability isn’t granted by having an Honorblade or being a Radiant).
    • Ability: Consumes 4 charges of Stormlight to roleblock and unblockably kill target player. This kill cannot be roleblocked, protected, or generally survived by any means, including the Stone Shaman’s immunity to kills. (You still can’t use it in day turns.) 
    • Optionally, you can roleblock and unblockably kill target player using no Stormlight; you will then unblockably die.
    • Any Nightblood kill is differentiated in the writeup as "killed by Nightblood!", whether they were killed normally or by dying from using it without Stormlight.

• Secrets: Secrets.

Order of Actions:

Spoiler

ORDER OF ACTIONS

• Nightblood Kill and Roleblock (and Nighblood Consumption)
  • Illumination (Anti-Roleblock, Anti-Scan, Anti-Vote Manip)
  • Transportation (Roleblock)
  • Adhesion/Gravitation/Abrasion/Progression/Transformation/Cohesion/Tension
  • The Lynch and All Night Kills (excluding Nightblood)
  • Honorblade Reclaim
  • Honorblade Transfers
  • Honorblade List

Rule Clarifications:

Spoiler
  • No group PMs. All PMs must be one-on-one, unless technical issues require the creation of an Elim PM in addition to / in replace of a doc.
  • It has come to my attention that a certain Ookla Season is coming soon... well, I'm not old enough here to fully understand the tradition, but I'd like to echo some of the statements that Matrim's Ookla's Dice made in the MR:

• I would greatly appreciate it if you kept your Profile Picture the same if you change your name.

• Keep your main name somewhere in your title/signature/as a part of the Ookla name.

• think I can handle voting using the Ookla names, but on the condition you use the full name. If you vote for Ookla, your vote will be automatically Adhesioned into nothingness. It would be very helpful to put the traditional name in parentheses also in red (or green) next to the Ookla name in voting.

• When creating PMs, please ensure you have the traditional name(s) in the titles, in addition to the Ookla names if you so choose.
    • Elandera reserves the right to overrule any of these for the good of the game :P
  • I have no idea what happened to these bullet points.
  • The Truthless can be killed at night; however, they will not win the game this way.
  • The only two Radiants in the game are Szeth and Kaladin (and possibly the secret roles, but that's secret).

Signups will end December 4th at 5:00 PM PST.

Please feel free to create an RP character! Most characters in-writeup will go by [name]-[son/daughter]-[name], but feel free to be a traveler from another land if the Shin naming conventions get too odd.

Depending on if people are willing to be pinch-hitters I may install an activity filter, but... Edit: You must post at least once every two cycles. If you fail to do so, you will be replaced with a pinch hitter. (Or die, depending on how many pinch hitters there are.)

Oh... and 1000 Posts!!!

Spectator List:

Spoiler

Player List:

Spoiler
  1. @Gears - Roko
  2. @Ooklil' the Wei (Illwei) -  
  3. @Quinn0928 - Lin-daughter-Lanari / Rinala Rades
  4. @Ookla's Dice (Matrim's Dice) - Daziron-son-Odium
  5. @Ookla the Disproportionate (Danex) - 
  6. @Somebody from Sel - 
  7. @Ookla the Araris Valerian (Araris Valerian) - Hadrian-son-Penrod
  8. @TJ Shade - Galatar
  9. @Ookla the Larkin (Ventyl) - The Larkin
  10. @Ookla the Shadowed (Experience) - Shadow
  11. @Ookla the Hypodecadal (Devotary of Spontaneity) - Ganeth-null-Shantis-Mawelar
  12. @Flyingbooks42 - Tsezn
  13. @Lotus - Sunwalker
  14. @Ookla the Grammatical (Condensation) - Viola-daughter-Condensation
  15. @Ookla who goes DORIYAH!! (Vasher212) - Gunandwaf-son-Warbreaker
  16. @eltruT (Turtle) - Turtle
  17. @Ookla the Watcher (Kings_Way) - Velton-son-Hasweth
  18. @The Windrunner Supreme - Supreme Cows
  19. @STINK
  20. @Ookla the Sprinkle (JesterLavorre) - Jes-son-Laal
  21. @Alvron - Izzy-daughter-Ammi / Izzy Dedyet
  22. @Eternum - 
  23. @Furamirionind

Pinch Hitters that I need to make an inactivity filter for:

Spoiler
  • Mist
  • Vapor
  • Whysper
  • Ookla the Channelnight

Quicklinks:

Edited by Elandera

42 minutes ago, Ashbringer said:

Rarashe-son-Lurdroler

:clap:

I'm in as Daziron. Philico won't set foot on Roshar, for Sleepless-hierarchy reasons. And... alright, fine... Daziron-son-Odium.

There seems like there will be a lot of actions flying around. Should be interesting :D 

Oh, Ash, also: Ookla Season starts tomorrow. Might want to prepare yourself for that :P. I should to, now that I mention it...

I know I had questions. I'll ask them later once I remember what they are.

Edit: Also: Normally for notes I just use a doc, but I think this time I'm gonna try to spreadsheet it. We'll... see how that goes.

Edited by Matrim's Dice

Guest Somebody from Scadrial

There are so many pinch-hitters so I will join but won't be very active for the first two rounds (my dad's Jiu-Jitsu coach is visiting)

Galatar rose from the chasms and mentally felt his bond with Stormfather. Yes.. it was weak, but it wasn't broken yet. Diagrammists had tried to kill him, but Stormfather had saved him at the expense of the strength of their bond. And so when he heard there was excursion to Shinovar to reclaim the Honorblades, he knew he had to go. He had to get his hands on Ishar's Blade. Perhaps claiming the Bondsmith's Blade would get him closer to finding the Stormfather again. 

Sign me up as Galatar, making his return from LG67. 

Edited by TJ Shade

@Ashbringer, a few questions:

1. Who will be the owners of the Blades in the beginning? Will it be randomly distributed among the village?
  2. Are there other non-Faction specific Radiants?
  3. Does using Surges via Honoblades cost Stormlight? Because if I recall correctly, canonically, Honorblades do not require expenditure of Stormlight.
  4. Can the Truthless be killed in the Night? If so, do they "win" their game as well?

51 minutes ago, TJ Shade said:

1. Who will be the owners of the Blades in the beginning? Will it be randomly distributed among the village?
  2. Are there other non-Faction specific Radiants?
  3. Does using Surges via Honoblades cost Stormlight? Because if I recall correctly, canonically, Honorblades do not require expenditure of Stormlight.
  4. Can the Truthless be killed in the Night? If so, do they "win" their game as well?

... oh dear.

1: PAFO. :P

2: Nope. I considered it, but the only Radiants are Kaladin and Szeth.

Edit: Well, there are secrets... but those are faction-specific, anyway :P

3: I believe that Honorblades need Stormlight? I think the Heralds were fueled by Honor directly, but when Szeth used his Honorblade he needed Stormlight. Regardless, yes Honorblade Surges consume Stormlight charges in the game.

4: The Truthless can be killed at night, however this does not count as a win. 

Also, it has come to my attention that a certain Ookla Season is coming soon... well, I'm not old enough here to fully understand the tradition, but I'd like to echo some of the statements that Matrim's Ookla's Dice made in the MR:

• I would greatly appreciate it if you kept your Profile Picture the same if you change your name.
  • Keep your main name somewhere in your title/signature/as a part of the Ookla name.
  • think I can handle voting using the Ookla names, but on the condition you use the full name. If you vote for Ookla, your vote will be automatically Adhesioned into nothingness. It would be very helpful to put the traditional name in parentheses also in red (or green) next to the Ookla name in voting.
  • When creating PMs, please ensure you have the traditional name(s) in the titles, in addition to the Ookla names if you so choose.
  • Elandera reserves the right to overrule any of these for the good of the game :P

I'll make a clarifications section.

Edited by Ashbringer
Secrets

Guest Somebody from Scadrial

I'll be Somebody-son-Adonalsium let the roleplayers chew on that :P

10 hours ago, TJ Shade said:

1. Does using Surges via Honoblades cost Stormlight? Because if I recall correctly, canonically, Honorblades do not require expenditure of Stormlight.

Canonically every character who ha used an honorblade has used stormlight, including Szeth, so non-Heralds at least don't need to (we don't know wether or not the Heralds do).

Er... try and avoid double posting if you can.

From the Coppermind (er, Wayback Machine Coppermind to avoid RoW spoilers):

Syl is aware that the Honorblades grant access to Surges. Honorblades create a shallower bond with their wielders than Nahel bonds, making them less efficient, and more dangerous, to use as they require dangerous amounts of Stormlight.[14] Heralds also require large amounts of Stormlight when using their Honorblades.

However, unlike the Knights, the Heralds were powered directly by Honor, and had access to raw levels of Investiture that no Radiant could possibly match.[40][41] Additionally, they didn't need to draw Stormlight from gems, which implies they could get it directly from their bond with Honor.[42] This ability appears to be inherent to the Heralds and not tied to their Honorblades as it is not replicable by other users.

Man, I was thinking to myself earlier this week that I might need to take a break from Forum Mafia games. But then themes like this make it so tempting to join. :)

Please put me down as pinch hitter for now. I'll see whether I go to full join.

Edited by Whysper

13 hours ago, Ashbringer said:

Keep your main name somewhere in your title/signature/as a part of the Ookla name.

General practice is to put your regular SE name in the title, which can be done in your shard profile. If you sign up with an Ookla name and intend to keep it for the duration of the game, it's not as necessary.