[OB] Oathbringer chapters 16-18

Mestiv

Guys. Alcoholism is not just an addiction to alcohol the substance, but to the effects of alcohol. The fact she's burning those away purposefully and using it as a tool to alter people's perceptions is a huge sign you're worrying about nothing. She's messing with people's expectations to get what she needs. It's clever. Not concerning. This forum clucks over Shallan like we're her mother. Not everything she does is going to doom her.

3 minutes ago, Toaster Retribution said:

If anyone should be Batman, it should be Mraize, or another Ghostblood. It feels like their thing, and the villains need to be able to stand up to surgebinders. 

Evil Batman Dustbringer? If only I knew a character like that...

The Red Death from Dark Nights Metal will do :)

Batman_The_Red_Death_Vol_1_1_Textless.png

Nope clearly here is Batman(women)

In the center of it appeared Jasnah Kholin, standing tall. Her clothing was ragged, her hair formed into a single utilitarian braid, her face lashed with burns. She’d once worn a fine dress, but that was tattered. She’d hemmed it at the knees and had sewn herself a glove out of something improvised. Curiously, she wore a kind of leather bandolier and a backpack.

Sanderson, Brandon. Words of Radiance (The Stormlight Archive, Book 2) (p. 1078). Tom Doherty Associates. Kindle Edition. 

35 minutes ago, Zea mays said:

Isn't Shallan getting addicted to stormlight itself? Throughout the chapter, she engages in self harm, and then undoes the pain/discomfort with stormlight. Getting rid of the unpleasant (they can be right good and nasty) effects of a bout of heavy drinking - using stormlight to remove physical pain, while using stormlight-crafted illusions to dull psychological pain.

The next time she finds herself without a ready source of stormlight, she will be in some serious aguish.

25 minutes ago, Calderis said:

She can't use stormlight to dull pain. It just heals. She chose not to heal the knife wound. That means she felt it. Veil is just... Kind of nasty. She thinks about her hand throbbing towards the end of that scene. If she'd drawn in Stormlight, the hand would have healed. There's no "just enough to not hurt" 

I do not think the issue Shallan is falling into is alchoholism,  but the pain and punishment. She has admitted she hates herself, I see her as intentionally hurting herself as a self punishment, and to experience the physical pain where she is covering up the emotional pain. 

Spoiler

Veil was expecting all this. She held her breath to stifle the nausea, and relished the sensations. No worse than the pains already inside, she thought, warmth radiating through her.   OB Chapter 18

4 hours ago, Calderis said:

She can't use stormlight to dull pain. It just heals. She chose not to heal the knife wound. That means she felt it. Veil is just... Kind of nasty. She thinks about her hand throbbing towards the end of that scene. If she'd drawn in Stormlight, the hand would have healed. There's no "just enough to not hurt" 

That isn't completely true, when Dalinar inhales stormlight the first time on screen in WoR, it heals his wounds partially because he only inhaled a small amount.  He goes on to heal completely by inhaling more stormlight towards the end of the scene.

His arm felt fine now, and the cut on his side barely ached anymore.

Kindle edition pg. 1073

Just now, Daishi5 said:

That isn't completely true, when Dalinar inhales stormlight the first time on screen in WoR, it heals his wounds partially because he only inhaled a small amount.  He goes on to heal completely by inhaling more stormlight towards the end of the scene.

Yes, because the stormlight ran out before the healing was completed. 

It heals. It doesn't just block pain selectively. 

4 hours ago, Aminar said:

This forum clucks over Shallan like we're her mother. Not everything she does is going to doom her.

Uh... I'll just leave that there

We do, after all, know the "doom" her mother had in mind for her

Edited by robardin

5 hours ago, Aminar said:

Guys. Alcoholism is not just an addiction to alcohol the substance, but to the effects of alcohol. The fact she's burning those away purposefully and using it as a tool to alter people's perceptions is a huge sign you're worrying about nothing. She's messing with people's expectations to get what she needs. It's clever. Not concerning. This forum clucks over Shallan like we're her mother. Not everything she does is going to doom her.

Yup. I think a lot of this is down to the underlying feelings towards the character. Shallan isn't as popular as some and also has a strong tendency to give readers reasons to distrust her - ie she calls attention to her flaws more than others, though she also does things that are genuinely dubious (like all the major characters). So on average I think Shallan gets a more sceptical reception than the other major characters, other things being equal.

In recent chapters we've seen two characters take a risk and step into the unknown in order to gain knowledge. Kaladin did something fairly conventional in such scenarios - surrender to the enemy. Shallan did something much less conventional given her knowledge and background. Arguably, neither risk seems necessary, but I suspect that in the long term both will get a pay off (though this is not to suggest that there were no better options). But the reception was very different (this is not to suggest that the risks and potential rewards were the same and that the scenarios are equivalent though).

On another note: I was initially sceptical about Shallan's feelings about Urithiru having any deeper meaning... but after re-reading her flashback chapters and how often she comments about there being something wrong with her father (as if he was possessed or under an evil influence) and the suggestions in the most recent chapters that there's something uncanny here, maybe there's something to her feelings about the building.

Edited by kari-no-sugata

7 hours ago, Aminar said:

You callin' us chiggens? :o:angry:

What kind of chickens?:rolleyes:

Possibly, what Shallan has done this week will lead to... nothing - but where is the fun in speculating about that?  Imagine if we had read all of WoR this way, and had to wait a whole week between Kal's chapters and prison and his next POV. I for one would have crafted some dark and disturbing theories about his inevitable descent into the dreary depths of the dark side.

But seriously, that moment when Shallan is not sure whether or not she killed her brothers and fabricated for herself all spanreed conversations with them, you do not find that alarming? Or Pattern's reply "that's not the lie".  What then, is the lie?

On a completely different track, I hope Kal gets the spanreed back and finds some way to communicate to Dalinar that the "Voidbringers" are not what he thinks they are. Otherwise, Dallinar's diplomatic negotiations will continue to go no-where. He needs to know what is really going on. Why had he sent no one to investigate what became of the parshmen that lived in the war camps?

Edited by Zea mays

1 hour ago, Zea mays said:

On a completely different track, I hope Kal gets the spanreed back and finds some way to communicate to Dalinar that the "Voidbringers" are not what he thinks they are. Otherwise, Dallinar's diplomatic negotiations will continue to go no-where. He needs to know what is really going on. Why had he sent no one to investigate what became of the parshmen that lived in the war camps?

I am wondering what Dalinars or bridge four will do since Kaladin did not send the nightly glyph?

1 hour ago, Zea mays said:

You callin' us chiggens? :o:angry:

What kind of chickens?:rolleyes:

Possibly, what Shallan has done this week will lead to... nothing - but where is the fun in speculating about that?  Imagine if we had read all of WoR this way, and had to wait a whole week between Kal's chapters and prison and his next POV. I for one would have crafted some dark and disturbing theories about his inevitable descent into the dreary depths of the dark side.

But seriously, that moment when Shallan is not sure whether or not she killed her brothers and fabricated for herself all spanreed conversations with them, you do not find that alarming? Or Pattern's reply "that's not the lie".  What then, is the lie?

Mostly that the theories are all overly dramatic to the point they'd actually make the story bad. And it's always Shallan destroying herself. Which is somewhat... It comes off badly motivated, whether the people theorizing know it or not. 

4 hours ago, Aminar said:

Mostly that the theories are all overly dramatic to the point they'd actually make the story bad. And it's always Shallan destroying herself. Which is somewhat... It comes off badly motivated, whether the people theorizing know it or not. 

I think you're the one currently making too much drama about some harmless theories.

For some reason, I get the feeling that Shallan's father died in the fight with her mother and friend. Then Shallan reanimated (lightweaved)  his corpse and did all the abusive things to her brothers for some reason. I don't really know what other grand lie there would be after admitting she killed her parents. Didn't Pattern say that she lightweaved sound in the past or something?

1 hour ago, Aminar said:

Expectations are never harmless in regards to how we perceive stories. Expectation is huge. 

So... don't let yourself become expectant?

I'm sorry, but I believe that there is nothing wrong with forming and talking about theories, as long as you don't expect them to be true and so you don't get disappointed.

Edited by SLNC

1 hour ago, YKDG22 said:

For some reason, I get the feeling that Shallan's father died in the fight with her mother and friend. Then Shallan reanimated (lightweaved)  his corpse and did all the abusive things to her brothers for some reason. I don't really know what other grand lie there would be after admitting she killed her parents. Didn't Pattern say that she lightweaved sound in the past or something?

And the lightweaving hung around constantly for years making shady deals, beating up maids and ultimately killing Shallan's stepmom all on it's lonesome? Unlikely.

2 hours ago, Aminar said:

Expectations are never harmless in regards to how we perceive stories. Expectation is huge. 

This is a problem I am struggling with since I joined the Shard. I have a lot of expectations when it comes to certain characters and I am struggling to not be to be involved in the disscusions or skip them. When it comes to theories about the world I find it fun, but when it's about character development & character's arcs it's too much for me. 

That being said, we can't stop the theorizing as much as we want to, so having a different thread for this kinds of topics I think is the way to go

And now I'm wondering what Adolin and Kaladin would think of Veil?  Shallan seems to become a completely different person - who is much harder and a lot less innocent. I honestly don't think that Adolin could have a proper relationship with Shallan when she's doing all this stuff that he (and his father) probably would't approve of. I don't know about Kaladin..... I don't think he would hold with it either. 

Speculations for the future:

Veil will go too far, Dalinar (or someone, maybe Adolin?) will be out to get her. Shallan will get caught as Veil and everyone will be shocked and disappointed in her. Adolin will breaks up with her? (that could just be my wishful thinking talking though :P )

By far my favorite chapters yet released!

My thoughts on the copy cat killer:

Perhaps Renarin with his light weaving powers is sneaking around doing them because if whatever dark influence that seems to be tainting him?

A Connection of interest (see how I capitalized that?):

Connection.  Identity.  The parshmen had these things ripped away, and now they're suddenly back.  This sounds a lot like what happens to the Heralds between desolations too!

(and yay for crossover cosmere terms!)

22 hours ago, Aminar said:

People are generally just happy or mindblown when things go in a different direction than speculated forever. Take the Voidbringers for example. We all thought that they would wreak havoc and kill stuff like they did at Narak , but they are just slaves on the run, without any wish to be murderous. 

And even if we donÂŽt get payoff on a certain expectation, we will always get something else instead, that we never saw coming (like Dalinar suddenly remebering Evi in this chapter). These forums have been up and running since around 2010 (correct me if IÂŽm wrong) and this far, we havenÂŽt ruined anything by speculating, so I doubt its a big deal.

The author's contract is not to fulfill expectations, but to go beyond them. Sanderson is getting is way up there among the giants like Erikson in delivering. 

Trust in him, he will deliver tenfold what we expect with our little theorizing around here. 

Edited by Rasha