11 hours ago, A Joe in the Bush said:

So, can i still vote on Orlok? Orlok Orlok?

@Burnt SpaghettiWho is already 'cleared'?

Me! Steph repeatedly omen Recognitioned and fae lored me, heh.

Otherwise i guess the rest of the people is just a reasoningly based thinky thing. Like arinian is a ghost apparently. Havent heard from him in long time. Pk has been the voice of those who have elims to reveal so he's prob all good.

Elbereth was waylaid last night whilst travelling, and was unable to do the final writeup. She will aim to complete it tonight, and apologises for the delay. She hopes that everyone understands, and that they'll forgive her for the delay.

So... this game made me realize something. I suck at SE. I have trouble analyzing, and almost always follow the crowd. I'm always one of the first players to go inactive. I've essentially been a spectator with a role. As such, I am officially retiring. If I continue, it'll only be in the spec doc. I'm sorry for constantly doing nothing and being nothing but a burden on my faction. Maybe one day I'll return to playing, but I don't really see it.

I went into the crockery fairly early on. I figured it would take me a while to escape, so I made a doc for myself to keep myself active.

And then I escaped first round.

So there's not much in it, but here's my ramblings.

42 minutes ago, Silverblade5 said:

So... this game made me realize something. I suck at SE. I have trouble analyzing, and almost always follow the crowd. I'm always one of the first players to go inactive. I've essentially been a spectator with a role. As such, I am officially retiring. If I continue, it'll only be in the spec doc. I'm sorry for constantly doing nothing and being nothing but a burden on my faction. Maybe one day I'll return to playing, but I don't really see it.

Aww. We'll miss you regardless. Hopefully you'll come back eventually.

Edited by Paranoid King
shortened link

Hey, this was the first game I was evil, and I loved it. There's something satisfying about plotting to destroy your peers... well, I'll be taking a break from SE for a while, unless I can get my brother to join a game (if you didn't see @Grumpy Dula). Thank you all for a great game, very well done El, *applause*.

So, in case I ever happen to play another version of this game, my character is technically still alive, right?  Just insane? :P 

I did enjoy this game, despite going insane and sitting in the crockery while a number of other people escaped. :P The mechanics were fun and the write-ups were enjoyable - I wish I had had more time to explore the things I could do. 

Also, although I haven't finished reading through all of it, the Elim doc looks like a lot of fun.  Nice lineup and stuff.  Heh.  Also, it's got some of my favorite quotes about me yet, so... yeah, there's that. :P 

Stink - 

"I like keeping Mage active in thread though, he’s chaotic and all messy and over the place."

Thanks...?  Sort of? :P

I'd actually like to hear more on what you have to say about this - to some extent I do like being kinda chaotic, but I'd like to know what you're talking about more specifically, if you don't mind terribly.

And, oh look, Stink again. :P -  

"Mage's Sanity is the opposite of a power."

Heh.  Hehehe.  Hehehehehehe.

If nothing else, that made me laugh.  A lot.

I'd say something about my reads, but tbh, I don't remember enough of them to say whether or not any were accurate.

Thanks for running the game, GM's!  Hope it gets run again while I'm still young. :P 

edit:  And Alv; not sure exactly what you'll be able to do with my sanity.  STINK might have been right about that one. :P 

Edited by Magestar

Well, that was a fun game! I was a bit disappointed that I got explelled before I could get any abilities, but, that's life for you! Anyway, thanks to the GMs for running such an amazing game and thanks to my fellow players for playing it!

59 minutes ago, Elbereth said:

If anyone has any suggestions on further improvements, those would be welcome! 

Vints
Having thought more about this, I think a full role-block would be better. So if the Vint is called back to Vintas, the only thing they can do is file their two allotted complaints (if they have Proficient in Hyperbole, they can't file four because they can't use PiH). Orlok suggested applying the 33% tuition increase to all purchases as well, which is a possibility.

Aturans
One thing Aonar pointed out was that, flavorwise, if the Vint Nobles can be called back to Vintas, there's no reason for that not to apply to Aturans as well. Which makes sense, though I think the Aturans would have less of a chance, like 10% as opposed to the Vints 25%.

And one suggestion Aonar made that I love for both the Nobles is a lodging limitation. Vints must stay in the most expensive lodging they can afford (after tuition). If that's the Horse and Four, they're staying in the Horse and Four. Aturans cannot stay in the Mews/at Anker's if they can afford better lodging.

I would highly suggest using that last suggestion, but I'm not sure about using both of the other suggestions. That might cripple the Vints too much. Perhaps the roleblock and lodging limitation. The lodging limitation in particular makes it harder for the Nobles to hoard wealth, and it prevents the Vints from staying in the Grey Man indefinitely and buying out Imre (namely, grams in the apothecary when those get restocked). Even if they do have so few talents that the Grey Man is the best they can afford, that's certainly not going to be the case the next term.

Caveat to the above: it only kicks in when they've placed lodging orders. Therefore, they still have the chance of ending up on the streets. So, for example, if a Vint placed an order for The Grey Man and they can afford The Horse and Four, they're going to Horse and Four instead.

Cealdish
To go along with the increased profit from 10% to 20%, perhaps a reduction in the moneylender rates. Aonar suggested a Family Connections ability for them, where they already know some of the moneylenders in Imre and therefore don't have to go to Devi's. So more reasonable rates if they do visit the moneylender (which would still be labeled as "Devi's" but flavorwise, they're not technically going to Devi. They're just getting the reduced rate).

Orlok suggested the inclusion of an additional mechanic that poorer students could excel at. One that has nothing to do with having money, but could give them an edge over the Nobles. When I mentioned this to Aonar, he thought about decreasing the streets penalties if you have less than 6 talents. You're too poor to be worth killing/robbing, so the mercs are more likely to leave you alone. Doesn't remove the merc-death entirely, but reduces it (which, with the bloodthirsty dice, doesn't really make much of a difference, because everyone except Aman will still be murdered, regardless of how much they have, but still). Perhaps a reduction from 25% to 10%. 

There’s also a question of how harsh those penalties should be just because of the question of how equal the game should be. Should every player be on equal terms, or is it okay to have some more powerful than others?

Yes. If some of the classes aren't on equal footing compared to the others, it's much harder to balance the game between the different alignments. While certain classes are better-used doing certain things (like Aturans doing anything non-arcane, Cealdish focusing on Artificery/Alchemy to increase buying/selling wealth in Imre, etc), all the classes should be on fairly equal footing when it comes to what they can do within their class.

One of the things I wanted to ensure when making this game was that players could mostly control what they wanted to do/how they wanted to affect the game. I still hold to that. As the classes stand right now, there are serious issues with that ability for the lower-wealth classes. I couldn't do a dang thing in Imre because I was way too poor. Yet an Aturan who wants to study Naming has a halfway decent chance of succeeding. Obviously, the classes aren't going to be completely equal for every mechanic, but a person should, in theory, be able to pick a strategy before the game starts and be able to play to that strategy regardless of the class they end up as. The class might hinder them a bit, but it's still possible. That is what I'm shooting for when it comes to class balances.

So, the three arcane fields that aren’t Naming are all getting a boost. One person went into Sympathy. Orlok. Because there was an exploit (also getting fixed - you can now not take a loan out from Devi if you’ve defaulted already on one. He was going to become Master, give someone else Malignant Sympathy protection, and have one of them take out huge amounts of money and never pay it back because they didn’t need to worry about mommets.), rather than because he wanted it as a whole. So, this field needs a bit of extra attraction. A couple possibilities have been raised - the one I’m currently leaning towards is that mommets can target players, rather than only people who were killed. To use an Upgraded Mommet like that, though, significantly increases your insanity bonus (as you’d expect of something which can kill). Someone else raised another possibility, though, which I can’t quite remember right now... @GMs from last game? Nearly certain it was one of you three.

Alchemy and Artificery were similarly underpopulated. These are difficult fields because not only do they increase your insanity, but also you can only practice them while attending the university and they don’t grant any additional action periods. Next time around, you’ll have a shared item-creation period, so that regardless of the general action you can always (while attending) be making more items. 

Arithmetics might also be changed, though we’re not certain how yet. It’s nearly entirely passive actions, which is boring for the Arithmetician. 

Naming is an interesting one. So... we ruled, this game, that you couldn’t learn new Names once expelled, on the basis that every other field can’t learn new abilities, so Naming shouldn’t be able to either. Which makes sense. 
The counter to this, however, is that it means that Namers can safely use all of their names without being afraid of more insanity. If Burnt had been able to learn new names, she would definitely have one by now. She used Bone four times, meaning a 100% chance of learning a new name, and so would have had at least a 1/12 chance of going insane for up to twelve turns. Maybe more, had she used the new Name and received more Names. If she had gone insane, the game would’ve been essentially won for the Skindancers. She is the only reason they lost. So that did have a material impact on the game. 
What it means in general is that Namers, once expelled, can use any of their names with impunity and not have any risk of going insane. I’m... not sure that’s any more balanced than letting them learn new Names. 
Thoughts on this would be appreciated. I’m not sure which way is actually better for the game. 

Sympathy
After talking with Aonar about this one, I'm leaning towards fixing it by adding a roleblock period. For each elevation in Sympathy, they gain an roleblock action period that they can use on anyone, but it costs IP. This would remove the E'lir/Re'lar/El'the/Master IP bonus, making it more like Naming.

Artificery/Alchemy
I think the item creation period should be accessible regardless of if they're attending the University or not, just like any other action from any other field is do-able whether or not you're attending the University. That's perhaps the biggest current limitation to these two fields and why they are underpopulated. I think changing their IP bonus to when they're making items would be good too. Give them the bonus of the item they're creating. Meaning, if they're creating a Re'lar level item, they get 2 IP. El'the-level? 3 IP. You create two items, one E'lir level and the other El'the? Whelp, that's +4. Etc.

I've heard a suggestion for a maintenance mechanic, where items expire when not held by someone who's studied in that field, and while I see the point of it, I don't really love it. At least, I don't for the Artificery items. Once those are made, flavorwise, it makes sense for anyone to be able to use them. You don't need to be an Artificer to know how to use a Thieves Lamp, Ward or Gram. Alchemy items, however, do need alchemist knowledge, so those I could see some limitations on. Perhaps not an expiration, but maybe an additional risk? For example, it doesn't make sense for a Master alchemist to make bone-tar, give it to someone else, and for that person to use it, making it go volatile, and getting away Scot-free (as per the Master-level bonetar). Flavorwise, that person should be injured at the very least. So perhaps if someone ends up with an alchemy item and they're not an alchemist, it has the E'lir level risks? Not sure...

Arithmetic
I think changing Arithmetic so it's more like Physicking would be best. Meaning that once you're elevated in Arithmetic once, you have access to all the abilities, but at the lowest level. And then as you're elevated more within Arithmetic, those abilities increase. So like the decreased tuition is only, say, 5% for the first elevation, with an additional 5% for all elevations thereafter. This makes it so the one active ability isn't as much of a problem since they only have 1 action period anyway. Plus, increasing Pickpocket at the Master level to choose who to pickpocket, regardless of that person targeting you or not, makes it even better.

Naming
I do think Namers should be able to learn new Names if they've been expelled. It's a problem, other fields can't learn new abilities if they've been expelled, but I think it makes sense, and as we saw with Burnt, it's problematic for one side or the other when that isn't an option. The Namer is free to do whatever they want, being as cautious as they want, and they never have to worry about going insane. I don't like the lack of risk there. That's another theme of this game: risk/reward. And if you've gone into Naming, you should be facing some risk using Names consistently.

I think to balance out the Namers being able to learn new Names, Artificers/Alchemists should be able to create new items after expulsion too (which makes sense flavorwise, as well). And a Scriv who knows Banned Books should be able to learn new things (since I'm sure they'd be able to find those banned books outside of the Archives). The other expelled player limitations would still apply though: only being able to target those in Imre/other expelled players. Unless Wind is involved, of course.

Apothecary

There was a ridiculous amount of protection in this game. The Horse and Four’s increase to 40% protection, the lower price of Bodyguards, and Grams, primarily. So Grams are getting increased to 20 talents. Other than that, this is fine. 

Eolian
The Eolian isn’t getting changed, but I’ll use this space as an excuse to point out that Lopen has horrible dice and the first four rolls for the Eolian were all failures. Including two who had a ridiculously high chance of success (12 or 13 out of 15, I think). Poor Wilson and Eol. 

Gambling Den
This is a new thing! To flesh out Imre, there will be a Gambling Den. (Credit goes to Alv for the idea.) Won’t fill out the details here, but it should be fun. 

Apothecary
Also, increasing the time between stocking from 3 turns to possibly 5 or something like that. It will help if items are more scarce. You don't want to change it too much, but I think right now, it restocks a little too frequently.

Eolian
Is there something else we could do with the Eolian on top of the Pipes? Because I feel like there's more that can be done there, but I'm not sure what.

Gambling Den
Not gonna say much about this, but Aonar suggested making the Cealdish thing we'd talked about for the Ruh instead and then the Cealdish just have something that says that if they lose, they're able to recover some/all of their bet.

think that's all of the tweaks discussed that you didn't mention. Just to get them all here in the thread for ease of access next time.

I was going to post thoughts, but it looks like 90% of them have already been posted for me by El and Wilson. :P So I have to do less work now. (Yay! :P)

I was the one who suggested the maintenance idea; I mostly liked it with the current Apothecary build; as it nerfed those items pretty heavily. If Apothecary is already getting a nerf though, it's not really necessary. I do like the idea of A/A's getting some bonus to holding/using items of their type that others don't get though.

Naming is just hella weird. :P I do think learning Names after being expelled is better, since it helps balance Namers a little more, with the greater insanity risk and lower chance of being left utterly helpless after being expelled. (Although I may be biased. :P

In terms of social classes; Players don't need to be on objectively equal terms, but they do need to be on relatively equal terms. A Vint might be better at some things than a Ruh, but a Ruh should also be better at some things than a Vint. And given that both their abilities rely on a the currency system, and Ruh are not only weaker but very chance reliant, something probably needs to change.

I do think there should be more at the Eolian.... but I have no idea what either.

(Also, sympathy addendum: I think what we discussed was the RB still being contingent on having a mommet (the new "spend action to make mommet of target" would still be in effect), rather than just a straight roleblock. If you like that better though, I might suggest having a non-mommet RB have higher IP cost than a mommet RB.) 

3 hours ago, Elbereth said:

Gambling Den
This is a new thing! To flesh out Imre, there will be a Gambling Den. (Credit goes to Alv for the idea.) Won’t fill out the details here, but it should be fun. 

Alvron, for wanting his character to have the mind of an innocent child once he went insane.

Yay me.  Still think we should call it Alv's. :P  All good Gambling Dens need a catchy name to bring in the punters.

I'm sad no one killed me.  I was hoping to make you all feel bad for killing an innocent little child.

2 hours ago, Magestar said:

And Alv; not sure exactly what you'll be able to do with my sanity.  STINK might have been right about that one. :P 

I'm going to put on display along with your hand.

2 hours ago, Arinian said:

Huh... I was right about Alv... again! :D

And again they didn't listen to you. :) 

29 minutes ago, little wilson said:

Eolian
Is there something else we could do with the Eolian on top of the Pipes? Because I feel like there's more that can be done there, but I'm not sure what.

Karaoke/Music class?  Lets you practice and has a chance of adding to/boosting your Pipes score?  Costs 5 Jots per lesson?

This was fun, albeit I didn't get to use any of my Physicking actions :[ I suspect this game will have another rerun with all the modifications made? Because I'm definitely joining. Sucks that I died basically because I forgot to send in the lodging order. I could've totally survived those four attacks if only I weren't on the streets >>  but at least it made a really good writeup :P

Thanks to all the GMs who put a lot of hard work and time into this!

15 hours ago, Elbereth said:

Randuir, for making ⅓ of the posts in the game when he was alive. (Seriously, you can see it recorded in the spreadsheet. It’s ridiculous.)

Nah, I only made 64 posts while I was alive according to the sheet. That means I made only around 10% of the total posts.

But yes, this was a nice game, with some complicated but interesting rules, and I'll definitely take part in the re-run, provided my time allows it.

@randuir, according to my spreadsheet, by the end of D3 (as far as I got), you had made 52 of 363 posts.

Thank you all for such an interesting game, with particular thanks to @Elbereth, @TheMightyLopen, and @DroughtBringer

I'll work on post-game thoughts, which I anticipate posting in a few days time.

I think El covered most everything in her post, so I don't have much to say really, but I had a blast running this game with El and Drought, and I hope everyone enjoyed it as much as I did! Thanks for playing!

And to those who were subjected to my dice, especially Wilson, sorry about that. :P

I have returned.

Well it as a good game. Also the first time I've been on the winning team I think.

Anyways, El your writeups have been excellent. :)

Also I would like to mention that I studied artificery, not physicking. Although I doubt the information would have mattered.

Also out of curiosity, what was the reasoning behind double tapping me? It may have been voiced in a post, but I've only really been reading write-ups for this game recently. What with having a single ward before getting expelled, I am fairly sure that Jondesu was one of the attackers.

The general structure of this game was fascinating. It seemed to work fairly well, and while village won a second time, I think it was mostly pretty close. Some other thoughts:

-I do agree that being able to spy on the eliminator doc may have been a mistake.

-I also agree that it sure would be nice to be able to create items even when not attending the university...

-I also like Wilson's suggestion about lodging restrictions on nobles. And I generally approve of balancing social classes, although I should point out that part of elimination is unfair distribution. Power roles in "vanilla" setups are rarely spread equally (although I rather appreciate the idea I've seen in this game and in LG30 where players gain power roles based on their own decisions and activity, and start with no special powers).

-In regard to no black market contracts. I was planning on using it to buy psychological counseling... Then use my ward to identify the physicker who took my contract, PM them, and start up a protection racket. It would be difficult, but... Supposing we both managed to get to master in our respective fields... And I supplied them with 3-shot grams and they kept me from going insane... We would both become nigh immortal in the game. So... Well I tried to use that system to great effect, but predictably, something went wrong.

-The Eolian is pretty chancy, though I can attest that those dice aren't always evil.

-Devi's interest rates are ruinous (which imo is as it should be, because this is Devi we are talking about), but the real kicker I think is that you just can't take out enough of a loan for it to be worth it. I mean, part of the point of a gaelet is that they will loan out to you an unsafe amount, simply because they are also going to charge really steep interest rates. Maybe you should be able to offer up certain items as collateral or something? Or maybe the consequences of defaulting on the loan could be steeper (after all a bigger loan just means you're voodoo doll is more expensive, possibly more expensive then a simple assassin, so the current consequences are in my opinion too low), but the maximum loanable amount could be higher. But the proposed loaning benefits to Cealdish should probably make Devi be a more useful feature.

-Gambling den sounds like a fun idea. I just hope it isn't basically "put in one talent, you get a 50/50 to double or nothing." At that point it becomes raw luck, which I don't like. But calculated risks... Well, that's a major part of this game. If the gambling was a little more nuanced, it could certainly be an excellent addition to the game.

-As for the apothecary... I agree that protection should be more expensive. It seems that assassins are a pretty important part of the game, because other than naming it is really the only way to kill someone... But I suppose that if protection is made more expensive, it would make sense to make killing somewhat more expensive as well.

Anyways, I do believe I should go check up on the status of LG34; just thought I'd drop by.

Yay! Hooray to El for a magnificent game. Out of curiosity, did my silver tounge really keep me alive for the whole game? I think in a way I was laboring, look at the whole stick thing, by taking all the pent up, undirected suspicion of me and throwing it at people who I wanted dead. Was everyone just playing me along i n the thread and really talking in PM's? I wondered because @queensteph had proof I was a skindancer. I am on mobile non but later In will post a list of everyone I sabotaged and why. In the meantime, @Burnt Spaghetti take a look at this -- 

Burnt rarely plays here anymore - it wouldn't really be fair to her to kill her D1, when she’s come back specifically for the game.  ” There was some fighting about sabbing Burnt early on, and an order was actually put in here, and only some very good reflexes from HH spared her, we probably could have won :(

GG though.

19 minutes ago, Cluny the Scourge said:

Yay! Hooray to El for a magnificent game. Out of curiosity, did my silver tounge really keep me alive for the whole game?

You'd definitely said some suspicious things, but at the same time, some of your comments where things I'd personally not associate with elims at all. So yes, in a way it did keep you alive for almost the entire game.