9 minutes ago, MacThorstenson said:

Here is a epic idea that I was working on. Any advice would be appreciated, especially regarding balance, is he too OP etc. His secondary power is removable if it makes him too OP. Background and name forthcoming. 

Primary power: Matter Manipulation. He can turn anything into anything. Conservation of Mass applies. The big difference between him and other epics is that this isn't instinctive.

Below is an in depth description of how his powers work.

Reveal hidden contents

Essentially how this works is he has to call up the structure of the object in his mind, then he has to mentally deconstruct it to the relevant sub components*, then mentally reconstruct it. This can take as long as days for complex things, to a few seconds for turning lead into gold. After reconstruction is complete, the object changes. The object changing takes maybe a few seconds if its a large object, otherwise it happens in a second or even instantly. 

Deconstructing objects takes a lot less time.  Doing things in mass also takes a lot less time.^

As a summary of what he can do and the relative difficulties:

• He can transmute elements relatively easily as he has practiced the most with this. 
  • Building individual types of molecules in also easy, but building enough different types of molecules to create an object is extremely difficult.
  • Changing the arrangement of molecules varies with complexity.

Its a lot easier to just deconstruct things, so when fighting he tends to do that, if he uses his powers at all.

A few examples.

• Assuming he knew how your weapon was made, he could deconstruct parts of it in a second or less. (turn all the steel to helium, or something else)
    • if he wanted to change the entire thing into helium at once, then it could take a minute or two assuming he knew the weapon. If he didn't, he would need to analyze it, then deconstruct it. The second case would take maybe ten minutes of focus once he knew its structure.
  • Creating a weapon would require days of concentration. He would need to construct all of the molecules, then arrange them in the proper structure, and also think about the way things were made (hammered iron would take more time to construct then poured iron).
  • Creating life would take years of concentration because of its complexity.

*If he wants to bend something, or dissolve it, he doesn't need to picture the atoms or molecules, because those aren't changing. The only thing that is changing, is the shape. Whereas if he wanted to turn a phone into a flower, it would take a lot more concentration and focusing on objects on the atomic level.

^It's easier to construct things if he makes all of the water first, then the glucose, then another molecule etc. Then assembles the materials.

Secondary power: Able to borrow mind power from willing subjects to speed up the work. So with a large enough crowd of willing subjects, he could create life in days, assuming he knew enough biology.

Tertiary power: He gains a knowledge of the structure objects by holding them. More knowledge the more he holds/touches them.

I’d say that’s pretty balanced. In this setting, that’s even leaning towards tame. For this particular role play, he’ll probably be middle to upper in power range, I think.

1 minute ago, Kidpen said:

?

Correct me if wrong, but I think he means if it’s something that would take him 5 hours, with 4 other people following him it only takes 1. It’s linear scaling for power.

i might suggest changing him slightly so that he receives less of a boost as he recieves more followers.

ie 1 follower =2x

10 followers = 5x

100 =20x

etc.

1 minute ago, Bladestorm said:

Correct me if wrong, but I think he means if it’s something that would take him 5 hours, with 4 other people following him it only takes 1. It’s linear scaling for power.

i might suggest changing him slightly so that he receives less of a boost as he recieves more followers.

ie 1 follower =2x

10 followers = 5x

100 =20x

etc.

Ohhhh, got it. makes sense.

1 minute ago, Bladestorm said:

ie 1 follower =2x

10 followers = 5x

100 =20x

etc.

No, I think it works as it is. The requirement of willingness makes it tricky to manage already so nerfing it further is kinda pointless.

2 minutes ago, winter devotion said:

No, I think it works as it is. The requirement of willingness makes it tricky to manage already so nerfing it further is kinda pointless.

True, I hadn’t considered that they had to be willing. That also sets up potential for vanillas to give themselves to him in turn for protection/food/whatever.

I have now gotten myself overhyped about writing Liam the Moose, so when exactly are we starting this?

Edit: This is the sort of crap Liam does: https://notablelife.com/this-sudbury-man-is-basically-the-canadian-chuck-norris/

Edited by Hemalurgic Headshot

2 minutes ago, Hemalurgic Headshot said:

I have now gotten myself overhyped about writing Liam the Moose, so when exactly are we starting this?

Edit: This is the sort of crap Liam does: https://notablelife.com/this-sudbury-man-is-basically-the-canadian-chuck-norris/

I need a name for my Agent Of Chaos. I’m thinking a power that’s kind of like fourth wall bending— the ability to do things like when in anime, roses appear in the backdrop and spotlight on a character or in cartoons where someone’s body squishes they get hit? It’s basically a passive effect they exploit the heck out of. They can pop up behind you with a lightbulb appearing out of no where as they realize what you’re doing. They can’t turn it off and their reactions aren’t physical but if you actually manage to make them angry? Well, sometimes real angry characters look like demons... and then you’re totally doomed. But they don’t get like that a lot because they find it funnier to use the ability to MESS WITH YOUR HEAD.

7 minutes ago, winter devotion said:

I need a name for my Agent Of Chaos. I’m thinking a power that’s kind of like fourth wall bending— the ability to do things like when in anime, roses appear in the backdrop and spotlight on a character or in cartoons where someone’s body squishes they get hit? It’s basically a passive effect they exploit the heck out of. They can pop up behind you with a lightbulb appearing out of no where as they realize what you’re doing. They can’t turn it off and their reactions aren’t physical but if you actually manage to make them angry? Well, sometimes real angry characters look like demons... and then you’re totally doomed. But they don’t get like that a lot because they find it funnier to use the ability to MESS WITH YOUR HEAD.

That sounds incredibly chaotic. Can they also do the scooby doo leg wheel thing?

EDIT: Foe a name, maybe Animétor.

Edited by Bladestorm

13 minutes ago, Bladestorm said:

I’m good for next Thursday to start, but if anyone’s ready earlier feel free to launch it I guess. Let’s just figure out all our characters first.

Well, next week I’ll be out, so in two weeks I’m fine. I’m only planning to write the Moose, so my schedule’s mostly flexible, unless some sort of encounter had been set up.

they kinda run without ever moving lol

We can wait a week or two, set up all our stories and raison d’etre, and then our first encounters. That should be plenty of time!

EDIT: I’m out for the night. Hopefully we get a few more people signed up and then we can give this a go!

Edited by Bladestorm

2 hours ago, Comatose said:

Obviously part of the fun of writing in the Reckonersverse is making epics, but it would also be cool to have some Vanillas.  Any ideas for those?  I already have Brandon and I could introduce Ian since he never made it to the Dalles.  Any others?

Also, do we want to set a limit on OP epics (Rainmaker, Lucentia, Soulcaster, etc) and encourage non-high epics or high epics with less devastating offensive powers to encourage the development of mid level epics and vanillas?  Getting overpopulated with High epics was a common problem previously so we may wish to avoid that.  

1. I had an idea for a vanilla, although not exactly unpowered. In broad strokes, think along the lines of the mad scientist trope. He goes by Heisenberg, and he built a motivator that makes it impossible to know both his position and velocity vectors at the same time :P

2. If we went the route where one epic starts out in charge, maybe they are the only high epic in the city?

2 hours ago, Comatose said:

What if, whatever city we choose, has been relatively untouched by High Epics, aside from the odd rampage now and then, as most powerhouses have moved on to more important cities?  The vanilla population still lives in fear of course, and mid-level epics strut around like they own the place, but the relative lack of high powered epics to impose order makes it both chaotic but somewhat free?  

I like this a lot.

1 hour ago, Bladestorm said:

It looks like Canada is the way to go...any suggestions on specific locations? We should try to get everyone’s input on the style of story they want so we can pick a place that caters to everyone possible.

I’m partial to a smaller city in BC, maybe even an island. But I don’t really mind too much.

EDIT: For quick travel we could have a now-diceased epic who created portals all around the city and a few to surrounding areas. Let’s people escape, allows cool bottleneck defence situations, and creates a place epics would naturally congregate.

I like this a lot.

I kind of want to give it a more interesting flavor than just generic portals though.

Maple maple.

Maple maypole

Catch and carry

Ash and ember

Elderberry

3 hours ago, Comatose said:

Obviously part of the fun of writing in the Reckonersverse is making epics, but it would also be cool to have some Vanillas.  Any ideas for those?  I already have Brandon and I could introduce Ian since he never made it to the Dalles.  Any others?

Also, do we want to set a limit on OP epics (Rainmaker, Lucentia, Soulcaster, etc) and encourage non-high epics or high epics with less devastating offensive powers to encourage the development of mid level epics and vanillas?  Getting overpopulated with High epics was a common problem previously so we may wish to avoid that.  

I have plenty of ideas for Vanilla characters (Also may be a good time for us to think of a new name for them because the term is entirely non-canonical and likely to change from place to place)
One thing to keep in mind for others planning on Vanilla characters though(Mostly just a note for any new players here), make sure you keep their mortality in mind when writting, we had a few snarky Vanilla's last game who, fortunately were under the protection of Epics or were pretending to be them. But if you make a wise cracking Vanilla who doesn't put up with or bow to Epics then they need to have a realistic way to survive.

This game hasn't even started yet and I've already got at least a dozen planned characters. :D

Has anyone tried to message Twi or Kobold?

And I’m guessing people who started the role play as it ended are allowed to carry over their characters, if they have a small enough number.

Edited by Majestic

1 minute ago, Majestic said:

Has anyone tried to message Twi or Kobold?

And I’m guessing people who started the role play as it ended are allowed to carry over their characters, if they have a small enough number.

I think Edge said he'd contacted Twi but she was bogged down with work atm, haven't tried @Kobold King yet though.

8 hours ago, Kidpen said:

Question: If an Epic were to have their weakness unintentionally constantly active, would the evil go away? Or no? I'm asking for a character I have brewing in my head, although I'm unsure if I'm even going to do this.

They couldn't use their power, so the corruption wouldn't come either. They might very well be driven insane with constant panic attacks though.

8 hours ago, Comatose said:

I'm thinking of carrying Voidgaze over, so that'd be one high epic. Perfectly fine with not having any others. Seeing how she's having her little following already, might as well throw in some of the Thoughttown Vanillas that hang around with her.

6 hours ago, winter devotion said:

My mind floats around ideas like Ambient Sparkle, but then it always sounds like it's related to that other Sparkle.

Sounds like a fun character though.

4 hours ago, Voidus said:

I have plenty of ideas for Vanilla characters (Also may be a good time for us to think of a new name for them because the term is entirely non-canonical and likely to change from place to place)
One thing to keep in mind for others planning on Vanilla characters though(Mostly just a note for any new players here), make sure you keep their mortality in mind when writting, we had a few snarky Vanilla's last game who, fortunately were under the protection of Epics or were pretending to be them. But if you make a wise cracking Vanilla who doesn't put up with or bow to Epics then they need to have a realistic way to survive.

This game hasn't even started yet and I've already got at least a dozen planned characters. :D

So what's the canadian equivalent of vanilla? Maple syrup? :P 

If anyone here watches Critical Role I'm now imagining an Epic with the voice of Pumat Sol saying "Aw, get outta here ya no good Maple." :D

I am going to have a lot of trouble deciding which characters to bring over. I definitely want at least one 'Maple' (I'm going to keep using it until it catches on now) but then I want to keep playing old characters and also making a bunch of new characters...
The life of a chronic Epic creator is a tough one. I've had to channel it into DMing some D&D games since the RP stopped and it just isn't the same.

6 minutes ago, Voidus said:

If anyone here watches Critical Role I'm now imagining an Epic with the voice of Pumat Sol saying "Aw, get outta here ya no good Maple." :D

I am going to have a lot of trouble deciding which characters to bring over. I definitely want at least one 'Maple' (I'm going to keep using it until it catches on now) but then I want to keep playing old characters and also making a bunch of new characters...
The life of a chronic Epic creator is a tough one. I've had to channel it into DMing some D&D games since the RP stopped and it just isn't the same.

The Faithful Maple church has a nice ring to it. :P

I now have the hilarious mental image of a bunch of nearby cities coming together in a crisis meeting, because sparks, the crazy Oregoners are coming over.

6 minutes ago, Edgedancer said:

The Faithful Maple church has a nice ring to it. :P

I now have the hilarious mental image of a bunch of nearby cities coming together in a crisis meeting, because sparks, the crazy Oregoners are coming over.

What truly turned the US into the fractured states, the mass exodus of insane people from Oregon, the confusion that they spread fractured the rest of the country. :D

8 minutes ago, Voidus said:

What truly turned the US into the fractured states, the mass exodus of insane people from Oregon, the confusion that they spread fractured the rest of the country. :D

The Book of Revalations forgot to mention to Colorful Rider upon her pug. :P

Just now, Edgedancer said:

The Book of Revalations forgot to mention to Colorful Rider upon her pug. :P

She's mentioned in the book of RevelNations instead :D
The Pugwoman of the Funpocalypse.