6 minutes ago, Comatose said:

I'd prefer pre-Calamity personally, but after could be fun too I agree.  

If we do a city far enough away, we could even do it during the events of the books.  Maybe right after Steelheart dies?

Oh that’d be interesting. In between the books. Aging up my characters would have some strange but fun consequences...

On 6/18/2018 at 2:36 PM, winter devotion said:

Yeeeessss!!! I wouldn’t say you need to read all of the old threads b maybe a few pages of them just to get the idea of what’s up?

Well I read a couple pages of Corvallis.

I very much approve of a character-driven plot.

However, I also have a suggestion for this. Take what I say with a grain of salt because I don’t know as much about it as most of you all do.

But what if, on the creation of a city arc, we all agreed on a termination date? (We could also do this with major factions in a city if participants wanted to)

I think a little something to push development and conclusions could help a lot. I noticed in the old RP that lots of really fantastic stuff happened, but it was difficult for there to be endings. And consequentially, change was difficult (you all still had moments where you did a really stellar job of this, though).

I think it might be more fun if we agreed on a fixed time window to actually write the epic conclusions that the RP arcs deserve.

Plus, that means new settings can be opened up as older ones are concluded. Or, if a setting is particularly well-liked, a new arc could be opened up in the aftermath of the last arc, possibly with a timeskip in between.

I love the idea of a set time frame, provided that there is enough inherent flexibility to allow people some freedom to be creative.  I actually had a set time window for Corvallis (of a week or so of actual RP after the prologue iirc) and I like to think it would have worked well had we gotten that far.  

Or do you mean a real world termination date?  That could be interesting, but it might be difficult if people's schedules vary in business.  

42 minutes ago, Comatose said:

I love the idea of a set time frame, provided that there is enough inherent flexibility to allow people some freedom to be creative.  I actually had a set time window for Corvallis (of a week or so of actual RP after the prologue iirc) and I like to think it would have worked well had we gotten that far.  

Or do you mean a real world termination date?  That could be interesting, but it might be difficult if people's schedules vary in business.  

Actually yes, I am talking about a real-world termination date. For each arc, I am proposing that we would designate a period of maybe two weeks, during which participants would write the conclusion of the story. That should be long enough for everybody to at least summarize what happens to their characters, and possibly follow up later with a more detailed RP if they feel the need to.

I concede that scheduling makes this difficult. But I think this will always be an issue when coordinating something for everybody to participate in.

An in-world ending date would often be effective, and I definitely appreciate what you did with the Corvallis arc.

My concern is that an in-world end date doesn’t always arrive, as in the case of Corvallis. If people start posting less, the ending is postponed, which I don’t think is desirable.

Ultimately though, if this actually got off the ground enough for there to actually be multiple arcs, I don’t see why we couldn’t field-test several approaches to this.

Real world timelines are a bit awkward I think, real life can be unforgiving at times and if one key player isn't around the entire story can start to unravel a bit.
I'd definitely be up for an in-game deadline though.

(Side note: Recent activity in this subforum has meant someone just upvoted an old post of mine that I'd completely forgotten about, so I just had the very novel experience of reading one of my own posts that I felt like someone else wrote. :D)

14 hours ago, Drake Marshall said:

You know, I never really got into this thing. Pretty sure it's hayday was before my time anyhow.

But see, it looks like it's starting it up again... And I figure, to properly reboot, you're gonna need some new blood, yeah?

Beyond the pinned threads, is there anything in particular I ought to read through to get a sense for what exactly this is?

Once we figure out which characters get carried over, it might help to read up on their story arcs. Otherwise there's some good stuff in the backlog that I'd recommend but nothing that'd be necessary outright.

13 hours ago, winter devotion said:

Yeeeessss!!! I wouldn’t say you need to read all of the old threads b maybe a few pages of them just to get the idea of what’s up?

What’d be interesting is pairing up All Might against someone like Steelheart, if we temporalily negate the impenetrable skin. I’d say All Might probably win if it’s on even turf but it’d change a lot depending on if there’s civilians nearby. In his prime, I think he’d be able to win even in a crowded city but he’d probably turn out accidentally causing the same scale of damage as in Kamino Ward otherwise. I mean, I guess it depends on if Steelheart would be able to pick up on All Might’s selflessness. He wouldn’t have the same sort of emotional weapon as AFO re:Shimura but All Might wouldn’t have backup cheering him on. 

Now what would be really terrifying is AFO in the Steelheart universe. His power seems to be limited to some certain number of quirks he can use efficiently otherwise it’d be a total curbstomp no matter how powerful OFA got, but the amount of OP Epic abilities that are both easy to learn and hard to beat in a fight... I think we know he has at least sixteen or so, which is a freaking terrifying amount of capacity. The healing of Nighthound, matter manipulation of Funtimes, the teleporting of (Insert Oregon Teleporter Here), the future sight of Fortuity, the water manipulation of Regalia (?)... Excluding Calamity himself, I seriously don’t think there’d be anyone powerful enough to stop someone with THAT level of brokennesss. Like, the only benefit in that situation is he’d leave Nighthound without healing (and probably without any of his other abilities because those are great too) so he’d be basically dead instantly. Actually, that might be worth it. 

I wonddr what the results of an Endeavor vs in person Regalia would be. She’s got a vulnerable body but a bigger scope. His fire should be hot enough to vaporize the water, though. Hm... I wouldn’t be sure who to root for in that fight. One abused other people for their own gain, causing them to lash out, and pushed someone very close to them into committing monstrous acts and the other was Regalia.

Are you all the way caught up? If not, what arc are you on? 
EDIT: I'm rereading portland now and i have a new otp. it's called ray/happiness. jeez. (also red/death but that doesn't mean i'm not gonna keep writing her.)

Honestly, that match up would turn into rocket tag, with both sides being able to one shot the other with a solid hit. All Might does appear more agile from what we've seen of him but then we also have never seen Steelheart dodging, because why would he? Dodging is for lesser Epics.
However, even giving All Might the edge in agility, Steelheart can use his wind powers to mess with his movements, so that evens out somewhat. It'd be a very destructively fun fight.

Really, AFO is the superpower equivalent of Hemalurgy, without the mind control weakspot. He'd be at much the same level that Larcener pretends to be, plus being actually driven. It's a scary thought.

Endevour's big problem would be finding Regalia. There isn't really much that can be done against her by just slamming brute force at her. Unless you're Obliteration and your brute force can level an entire city. Endeavour isn't quite at that level though.

Mostly caught up, couple of chapters behind.
BTW want to take this to PMs? Might turn a bit off topic even by Question standards. Unless anyone else wants to participate?

9 hours ago, Bladestorm said:

Just a question: for the new rp, do we want any sort of plot? Or just the standard character-based stuff.

Character based stuff sounds good to me.

8 hours ago, Comatose said:

I think a destabilized location would be fun, since we've done a couple dictatorships already.  

What characters are people interested in bringing back?  I would love to do more Brandon and Taylor Swift since they didn't get to do much in the Dalles.

True. Not having one ruling faction/character could also be helpful in that it avoids giving one player the central position without everything would grind to a halt.

I'd probably carry over Voidgaze with Big Al and Ray as her new number one fan. For the obvious reasons.

8 hours ago, Bladestorm said:

Should we run it pre-calamity or post? The possibilities of post are interesting. We could have both darkness-affected and non affected epics. 

7 hours ago, Comatose said:

I'd prefer pre-Calamity personally, but after could be fun too I agree.  

If we do a city far enough away, we could even do it during the events of the books.  Maybe right after Steelheart dies?

Another thing where I'm mostly okay with anything. The lack of corruption might significantly alter some of the more... crazy characters though. Like Red, possibly Taylor. So I'd leave that choice mostly to people affected there.

5 hours ago, Drake Marshall said:

I very much approve of a character-driven plot.

However, I also have a suggestion for this. Take what I say with a grain of salt because I don’t know as much about it as most of you all do.

But what if, on the creation of a city arc, we all agreed on a termination date? (We could also do this with major factions in a city if participants wanted to)

I think a little something to push development and conclusions could help a lot. I noticed in the old RP that lots of really fantastic stuff happened, but it was difficult for there to be endings. And consequentially, change was difficult (you all still had moments where you did a really stellar job of this, though).

I think it might be more fun if we agreed on a fixed time window to actually write the epic conclusions that the RP arcs deserve.

Plus, that means new settings can be opened up as older ones are concluded. Or, if a setting is particularly well-liked, a new arc could be opened up in the aftermath of the last arc, possibly with a timeskip in between.

We could maybe try out a time limit for the introduction arc and see if it works out with IRL. There would definetly need to be a safety buffer.

1 hour ago, Voidus said:

(Side note: Recent activity in this subforum has meant someone just upvoted an old post of mine that I'd completely forgotten about, so I just had the very novel experience of reading one of my own posts that I felt like someone else wrote. :D)

Ha, I know that feeling. :P

I consume LNs WNs and Anime but not Manga so I'm up to date on the anime for Hero Academia but not the manga, so depends if the conversation is dipping into that territory.

As for carry over characters I'm not sure who I'd want to bring.
Metronome will probably make an appearance but likely not as a main character.

Scribbler maybe? Or PP but a rehashed one, so essentially a different character with PPs original backstory, which I always wish I'd stuck to.

1 hour ago, Voidus said:

I consume LNs WNs and Anime but not Manga so I'm up to date on the anime for Hero Academia but not the manga, so depends if the conversation is dipping into that territory.

As for carry over characters I'm not sure who I'd want to bring.
Metronome will probably make an appearance but likely not as a main character.

Scribbler maybe? Or PP but a rehashed one, so essentially a different character with PPs original backstory, which I always wish I'd stuck to.

If neither of the Momentum twins show up, Scribbler does sound pretty sweet. Though I think out of all of us, you're the one capable of saying screw it, I got alternatives the most. :P

3 minutes ago, Edgedancer said:

If neither of the Momentum twins show up, Scribbler does sound pretty sweet. Though I think out of all of us, you're the one capable of saying screw it, I got alternatives the most. :P

Depends when we set it timeline wise, if it's post calamity then only one of the twins would be around. :'(

Just now, Edgedancer said:

Oh. The poor girls.

And if it's post-calamity and they've been redeemed then it's possibly even worse because they now have to live with what's happened without the protection of Epic rage. Very interesting character potential though.

Just now, Voidus said:

And if it's post-calamity and they've been redeemed then it's possibly even worse because they now have to live with what's happened without the protection of Epic rage. Very interesting character potential though.

God, that's even worse than having to live with Backtrack as your boyfriend. (I'm just gonna assume ex. :ph34r: )

Still around post Steelheart is in the running too.

2 minutes ago, Edgedancer said:

God, that's even worse than having to live with Backtrack as your boyfriend. (I'm just gonna assume ex. :ph34r: )

Still around post Steelheart is in the running too.

Sadly Backtracks awesome glasses were destroyed along with the rest of the state and MV quickly realized he wasn't nearly so interesting without them. :P

2 hours ago, Edgedancer said:

Once we figure out which characters get carried over, it might help to read up on their story arcs. Otherwise there's some good stuff in the backlog that I'd recommend but nothing that'd be necessary outright.

Honestly, that match up would turn into rocket tag, with both sides being able to one shot the other with a solid hit. All Might does appear more agile from what we've seen of him but then we also have never seen Steelheart dodging, because why would he? Dodging is for lesser Epics.
However, even giving All Might the edge in agility, Steelheart can use his wind powers to mess with his movements, so that evens out somewhat. It'd be a very destructively fun fight.

Really, AFO is the superpower equivalent of Hemalurgy, without the mind control weakspot. He'd be at much the same level that Larcener pretends to be, plus being actually driven. It's a scary thought.

Endevour's big problem would be finding Regalia. There isn't really much that can be done against her by just slamming brute force at her. Unless you're Obliteration and your brute force can level an entire city. Endeavour isn't quite at that level though.

Mostly caught up, couple of chapters behind.
BTW want to take this to PMs? Might turn a bit off topic even by Question standards. Unless anyone else wants to participate?

Character based stuff sounds good to me.

True. Not having one ruling faction/character could also be helpful in that it avoids giving one player the central position without everything would grind to a halt.

I'd probably carry over Voidgaze with Big Al and Ray as her new number one fan. For the obvious reasons.

Another thing where I'm mostly okay with anything. The lack of corruption might significantly alter some of the more... crazy characters though. Like Red, possibly Taylor. So I'd leave that choice mostly to people affected there.

We could maybe try out a time limit for the introduction arc and see if it works out with IRL. There would definetly need to be a safety buffer.

Ha, I know that feeling. :P

Yesssssss, more Ray. I wasn’t gonna say anything cause I didn’t want to be pushy but I totally wanted to see more of her. 

And Red would probably stay crazy, no matter what happened. 

16 minutes ago, winter devotion said:

Yesssssss, more Ray. I wasn’t gonna say anything cause I didn’t want to be pushy but I totally wanted to see more of her. 

And Red would probably stay crazy, no matter what happened. 

Happy to hear one of mine is requested like that. To be fair, without Nighthound around her behaviour is probably going to be somewhat different, just from the change of circumstances, but she did deserve that break.

That's... good? Man I'm sure Ray really hoped to be finally rid of her.

I'm almost tempted to have Neverthere stay alive two so the three of them can meet up in a different country and all be suspicious of each other but I doubt NT would have survived long with Nighthound knowing her physical location.

19 minutes ago, Edgedancer said:

Happy to hear one of mine is requested like that. To be fair, without Nighthound around her behaviour is probably going to be somewhat different, just from the change of circumstances, but she did deserve that break.

That's... good? Man I'm sure Ray really hoped to be finally rid of her.

Definitely deserves it. 

I’m sure she probably did. Red probably won’t want to stick with her that much but it’ll be interesting to see who she ends up hanging with/stalking. 

We need Backtrack back right?  He’s so fun!

It might be cool if we set up some sort of mystery and put Backtrack in the middle of it with his power to obtain information. 

Edit: Oh wait.  Backtrack was Kobold’s wasn’t he.

3 minutes ago, Voidus said:

I'm almost tempted to have Neverthere stay alive two so the three of them can meet up in a different country and all be suspicious of each other but I doubt NT would have survived long with Nighthound knowing her physical location.

Did C4 survive?

14 minutes ago, Voidus said:

I'd say so.

I could see Red tracking everyone down with her heartbeat recognition powers and being all gung ho about "getting the gang back together!" once she realizes they all headed to the same place by accident and literally nobody else (except maybe Neverthere) wanting anything to do with her.  

7 hours ago, Drake Marshall said:

Actually yes, I am talking about a real-world termination date. For each arc, I am proposing that we would designate a period of maybe two weeks, during which participants would write the conclusion of the story. That should be long enough for everybody to at least summarize what happens to their characters, and possibly follow up later with a more detailed RP if they feel the need to.

I concede that scheduling makes this difficult. But I think this will always be an issue when coordinating something for everybody to participate in.

An in-world ending date would often be effective, and I definitely appreciate what you did with the Corvallis arc.

My concern is that an in-world end date doesn’t always arrive, as in the case of Corvallis. If people start posting less, the ending is postponed, which I don’t think is desirable.

Ultimately though, if this actually got off the ground enough for there to actually be multiple arcs, I don’t see why we couldn’t field-test several approaches to this.

We tried that in Australia, didn't we? 

1 hour ago, Voidus said:

To be fair, he's kind of dead now, so it's perfectly possible she managed to escape before anyone could come around to her position.

She was fun, for as much if a monster she was. And for what it's worth, as long as she didn’t try any double crossing, her survival chances were probably the best out of any of the girls.

1 hour ago, winter devotion said:

Definitely deserves it. 

I’m sure she probably did. Red probably won’t want to stick with her that much but it’ll be interesting to see who she ends up hanging with/stalking. 

Yeah, she probably makes the second place on hee do not want list after Nighthound himself.

Oh yeah, we'll need new strong slontzes. Most people on the carry over list seem either not that bad or not that strong. How would she react to Nighthound's killer?

1 hour ago, Comatose said:

We need Backtrack back right?  He’s so fun!

It might be cool if we set up some sort of mystery and put Backtrack in the middle of it with his power to obtain information. 

Edit: Oh wait.  Backtrack was Kobold’s wasn’t he.

He's Kobold’s yeah. Actually did anyone tag him yet to see if he's interested yet?

1 hour ago, winter devotion said:

Did C4 survive?

Nighthound didn’t kill her at least. Might decide that she’s tagging along with Ray and Voidgaze. Let's hope for her sake that Neverthere didn’t get her hands on her again.

12 minutes ago, Edgedancer said:

To be fair, he's kind of dead now, so it's perfectly possible she managed to escape before anyone could come around to her position.

She was fun, for as much if a monster she was. And for what it's worth, as long as she didn’t try any double crossing, her survival chances were probably the best out of any of the girls.

Yeah, she probably makes the second place on hee do not want list after Nighthound himself.

Oh yeah, we'll need new strong slontzes. Most people on the carry over list seem either not that bad or not that strong. How would she react to Nighthound's killer?

He's Kobold’s yeah. Actually did anyone tag him yet to see if he's interested yet?

Nighthound didn’t kill her at least. Might decide that she’s tagging along with Ray and Voidgaze. Let's hope for her sake that Neverthere didn’t get her hands on her again.

I think I could work in some "character developement" and have her become super attached to the idea of forming a "girls squad" simply because I love the idea and the concept is kind of hilarious. Otherwise, I'll play it by ear, see how things go, and watch what new characters get introduced. She's pretty good at adapting. 

EDIT: She's bi now and Chase is a lesbian. I came to realizations since I was off doing other things.  

Edited by winter devotion
adding

So where is it taking place? Canada or Europe? Because as a person living in the UK things could shape up to be interesting over here...

Alternatively, we could have a rehash of the Wastelands where each person controls a country in Europe. Could also extend to the Middle East and Asia?

Thoughts?