51 minutes ago, Majestic said:

Fantastic series. Guess we can pull quite a lot of inspiration from there.

I’m assuming everyone is just going to focus on reviving this RP, and not the Wastelands?

Probably, although we do have Edge, Winter and I so that's a fairly large amount of the Wastelands player if everyone wanted to bring that back.

5 hours ago, Voidus said:

Same thread would be easier I'd say, not much point separating Maples and Epics from each other.

I propose the name "Edmonton's recipy for Epic Maple syrup." :P

2 hours ago, Voidus said:

Probably, although we do have Edge, Winter and I so that's a fairly large amount of the Wastelands player if everyone wanted to bring that back.

Sorry, there's some good stuff in there but probably a bit too time intensive for me right now. 

On another note, slowly starting to feel bad about bringing Voidgaze over. Mostly because she’s from them early days when we weren't quite as strict about most things.

1 hour ago, Edgedancer said:

I propose the name "Edmonton's recipy for Epic Maple syrup." :P

Sorry, there's some good stuff in there but probably a bit too time intensive for me right now. 

On another note, slowly starting to feel bad about bringing Voidgaze over. Mostly because she’s from them early days when we weren't quite as strict about most things.

Not enough pugs in this name, otherwise 10/10 would upvote again :D

Yeah not sure I'd have enough time for the Wastelands either tbh. If there was enough interest I'd probably give it a try but I'd be worried about burning myself out.
Because she's OP? I think she's fine, having OP characters can be good, as long as the writer doesn't try to derail the entire narrative with them.

Yeah not sure I'd have enough time for the Wastelands either tbh. If there was enough interest I'd probably give it a try but I'd be worried about burning myself out.
Because she's OP? I think she's fine, having OP characters can be good, as long as the writer doesn't try to derail the entire narrative with them.

Yeah, the personality for OP characters matters too and Voidgaze is pretty chill. She's no Nighthound, hallelujah for that. 

"Edmonton's recipy for Epic Maple flavoured pug treats." :P

5 minutes ago, winter devotion said:

Yeah, the personality for OP characters matters too and Voidgaze is pretty chill. She's no Nighthound, hallelujah for that. 

The pretty chill part is kind of what has me worried, actually. Because she only got faint traces of the corruption. (Unless there's gonna be a lot of power use in short time.)

Mind you, if nobody else minds, I'm not the one that's going to make a problem out of it.

11 minutes ago, Edgedancer said:

The pretty chill part is kind of what has me worried, actually. Because she only got faint traces of the corruption. (Unless there's gonna be a lot of power use in short time.)

Mind you, if nobody else minds, I'm not the one that's going to make a problem out of it.

Eh, it doesn't have to be a problem if we don't want it to be. *handwavy motions* 

I'm fine with Voidgaze.  Didn't we kind of figure out she might be redeemed without knowing it?  I know we want to strictly limit the number of those, but I recall that being an potential explanation in her case since she was made before we knew how corruption worked.   I'm also actually fine with some PIs (like straight up invincibility or Resurrection), as long as they aren't too common, and aren't paired with worldbreaking powers.  

Basically, I think it would be good if you make an invincible character, to give them interesting limits otherwise.  There are lots of ways to stop or defeat someone without killing them, so I don't think PI = OP.  The only thing we need to be careful of is ratios.  

I'd prefer to keep things in the current epics thread, mostly so I don't need to change the link in my signature.  I have also been including my vanilla characters there.  

For another slang term for humans (not crazy about "maples") how do people feel about "basics"?  That's a term that exists now with similar connotations to vanillas that I could see being adapted.  

So, since it seems Edmonton is the place we are going with then?  I think if it is we should start working on a premise - something to start things off with a bang and give the plot some drive, and the characters something to engage with so it isn't just "a bunch of vanillas and epics wandering around".  Any ideas?  

As an aside, after watching Jessica Jones, I've always thought an epic with Killgrave style powers, but who is very physically weak and vulnerable, would be fun.  

13 minutes ago, Comatose said:

I'm fine with Voidgaze.  Didn't we kind of figure out she might be redeemed without knowing it?  I know we want to strictly limit the number of those, but I recall that being an potential explanation in her case since she was made before we knew how corruption worked.   I'm also actually fine with some PIs (like straight up invincibility or Resurrection), as long as they aren't too common, and aren't paired with worldbreaking powers.  

Basically, I think it would be good if you make an invincible character, to give them interesting limits otherwise.  There are lots of ways to stop or defeat someone without killing them, so I don't think PI = OP.  The only thing we need to be careful of is ratios.  

I'd prefer to keep things in the current epics thread, mostly so I don't need to change the link in my signature.  I have also been including my vanilla characters there.  

For another slang term for humans (not crazy about "maples") how do people feel about "basics"?  That's a term that exists now with similar connotations to vanillas that I could see being adapted.  

So, since it seems Edmonton is the place we are going with then?  I think if it is we should start working on a premise - something to start things off with a bang and give the plot some drive, and the characters something to engage with so it isn't just "a bunch of vanillas and epics wandering around".  Any ideas?  

As an aside, after watching Jessica Jones, I've always thought an epic with Killgrave style powers, but who is very physically weak and vulnerable, would be fun.  

Yup, that was the explanation we were going with. Nice to know she's welcome then. Her little gang shall move into town. :ph34r:

Right, so a pitch. We wanted to go with a more destabalized town, right? So how about the Epic that was ruling the city got into a fight with a rival. While he won big parts of the city's structure got damaged and he was badly wounded. Now he's basically trying to pull a Regalia and set up a system where he doesn't actually need to show himself in person that often.

Might work best if his power is somehow tied into the city's infrastructure, so even if a faction that wants to grab power themselves arises, they can't just off them.

I’m a fan of maples, personally.

I like the pitch. I would suggest making it so that in the initial aftermath of the first Epics, huge canyons/rifts were opened all across the city, breaking it into quadrants or whatever. Then this ruler epic comes along and sets up portals in various places in each quadrant, allowing the city transport. One of his portals leads to a massive storage facility or farm or something, which no one but him knows the real location of. If he dies, everyone is more or less stuck in their quadrant, and no one can get any food.

7 minutes ago, winter devotion said:

I mean, maples is definitely catching. 

That sounds like a good plan. We could also have there have been some sort of incident in a nearby town hence an influx of refugees, some of whom were already fleeing Oregon?

Or maybe the influx of refugges just lead to both terms being used? Good old multiculti mishmash. I like maples too though.

Maybe caused by the same guy that caused the fight in Edmonton? Canada's very own budget Obliteration. :P Would also explain how the guy that stopped him manages to keep some cred despite being badly wounded.

5 minutes ago, Bladestorm said:

I’m a fan of maples, personally.

I like the pitch. I would suggest making it so that in the initial aftermath of the first Epics, huge canyons/rifts were opened all across the city, breaking it into quadrants or whatever. Then this ruler epic comes along and sets up portals in various places in each quadrant, allowing the city transport. One of his portals leads to a massive storage facility or farm or something, which no one but him knows the real location of. If he dies, everyone is more or less stuck in their quadrant, and no one can get any food.

That's possible. Though personally I'd prefer something more build into the city's structure from before the incident. Give the town its own Newcago steel coating, is what I'm saying.

Hmmm. We haven’t had a floating city yet, and that certainly would fit the bill for reasons to keep the epic alive. 

It doesn’t feel creative enough, though. I’m trying to think of neat effects for whole cities, but Brandon’s already done all the ones I’m thinking of in one way or another.

maybe a weaker gravity as you approach the center of the city/main Epics hideout? Could have a few floating buildings there, and then a little further out maybe you can hum crazy high, and the in the slums/ suburbs it’s regular gravity.

3 minutes ago, Majestic said:

Dibs on making a faction that gets instantly obliterated to show how powerful the Epic leader is!

What’s the base plot here?

Personally, I vote that we start with NO ruling epic or group. It’s an unclaimed town which has suddenly caught the attention of a number of groups, although we would have to figure out why.

That way we can have 2 sides: Locals vs Conquerors, but the conquerors are also set against each other for some reason.

I like this because it avoids the “one super strong epic rules all” that we go with most of the time. It would be kind of like Astoria, but  with absolutely no ruling class already in shape.

1 hour ago, Comatose said:

I would suggest that epics with stronger offensive powers should tend towards glass cannons, while epics with prime invincibility should tend towards weaker offense.

Basic admittedly makes more sense. But I kind of like maples. I wouldn't be against both being used.

This reminds me of Khepri.

1 hour ago, Edgedancer said:

Right, so a pitch. We wanted to go with a more destabalized town, right? So how about the Epic that was ruling the city got into a fight with a rival. While he won big parts of the city's structure got damaged and he was badly wounded. Now he's basically trying to pull a Regalia and set up a system where he doesn't actually need to show himself in person that often.

Might work best if his power is somehow tied into the city's infrastructure, so even if a faction that wants to grab power themselves arises, they can't just off them.

49 minutes ago, Bladestorm said:

28 minutes ago, Bladestorm said:

Hmmm. We haven’t had a floating city yet, and that certainly would fit the bill for reasons to keep the epic alive. 

It doesn’t feel creative enough, though. I’m trying to think of neat effects for whole cities, but Brandon’s already done all the ones I’m thinking of in one way or another.

maybe a weaker gravity as you approach the center of the city/main Epics hideout? Could have a few floating buildings there, and then a little further out maybe you can hum crazy high, and the in the slums/ suburbs it’s regular gravity.

Have yet another pitch.

For the last couple years, Edmonton has been under the rule of Epoch. Epoch is a time epic with a prime invincibility of reincarnation, and the ability to create areas of increased or decreased flow of time. This power is not very precise, and creating such an area takes time, but the area of effect can be very large.

Shortly after taking control, they did several things:

• Placed barriers of slowed time to regulate travel. All of the city's borders were blocked off, and the city was divided into five sectors. It is possible to cross these barriers, but even in a speeding car you'll lose about a day in the outside world, and the enforcers will get you for it.
  • Placed several corridors of accelerated time, overlaying the highway system. These corridors connect the five sectors, and a single passage controls travel in and out of the city. These corridors form a network of extremely fast transportation.
  • Placed a speed-time effect over all of sector 5, the agricultural sector. Crops grow at about 10x speed in here. It also gets about 1/10 the sunlight though, so artificial lighting is required. From the outside world, people who work here appear to age very quickly.

For a long time, Epoch ruled Edmonton fairly unequivocally. He controlled the infrastructure and he could not permanently be killed. Anyone who attacked the city would inevitably find themselves lured into a region of slow time and then overwhelmed by Epoch's enforcers.

At the start of the RP, there are two major catalysts that change everything:

• There are an influx of displaced epics from other regions into Edmonton. Some of them are fleeing the destruction in Oregon, some of them are fleeing an unpopular new dictatorship in Calgary. Edmonton is an obvious choice for many opportunistic epics who want their very own territory. It's small enough to stay beneath the notice of a really powerful epic, but thanks to Epoch's power it is quite prosperous.
  • Somebody discovers Epoch's weakness. And then promptly sends out a message to every mobile in Edmonton announcing said weakness. Epoch was never much of a front-line fighter in the first place, but has become exponentially more reclusive and paranoid now that everyone in the city knows how to kill him. He is still entrenched as ruler of the city, with several lesser epic underlings plus a team of trained maple enforcers, but his position is obviously weakened, and the new epics in town are poised to take advantage of the fact.

Thoughts?

15 minutes ago, Drake Marshall said:

I would suggest that epics with stronger offensive powers should tend towards glass cannons, while epics with prime invincibility should tend towards weaker offense.

Basic admittedly makes more sense. But I kind of like maples. I wouldn't be against both being used.

This reminds me of Khepri.

Have yet another pitch.

For the last couple years, Edmonton has been under the rule of Epoch. Epoch is a time epic with a prime invincibility of reincarnation, and the ability to create areas of increased or decreased flow of time. This power is not very precise, and creating such an area takes time, but the area of effect can be very large.

Shortly after taking control, they did several things:

• Placed barriers of slowed time to regulate travel. All of the city's borders were blocked off, and the city was divided into five sectors. It is possible to cross these barriers, but even in a speeding car you'll lose about a day in the outside world, and the enforcers will get you for it.
  • Placed several corridors of accelerated time, overlaying the highway system. These corridors connect the five sectors, and a single passage controls travel in and out of the city. These corridors form a network of extremely fast transportation.
  • Placed a speed-time effect over all of sector 5, the agricultural sector. Crops grow at about 10x speed in here. It also gets about 1/10 the sunlight though, so artificial lighting is required. From the outside world, people who work here appear to age very quickly.

For a long time, Epoch ruled Edmonton fairly unequivocally. He controlled the infrastructure and he could not permanently be killed. Anyone who attacked the city would inevitably find themselves lured into a region of slow time and then overwhelmed by Epoch's enforcers.

At the start of the RP, there are two major catalysts that change everything:

• There are an influx of displaced epics from other regions into Edmonton. Some of them are fleeing the destruction in Oregon, some of them are fleeing an unpopular new dictatorship in Calgary. Edmonton is an obvious choice for many opportunistic epics who want their very own territory. It's small enough to stay beneath the notice of a really powerful epic, but thanks to Epoch's power it is quite prosperous.
  • Somebody discovers Epoch's weakness. And then promptly sends out a message to every mobile in Edmonton announcing said weakness. Epoch was never much of a front-line fighter in the first place, but has become exponentially more reclusive and paranoid now that everyone in the city knows how to kill him. He is still entrenched as ruler of the city, with several lesser epic underlings plus a team of trained maple enforcers, but his position is obviously weakened, and the new epics in town are poised to take advantage of the fact.

Thoughts?

I really like this idea. 

1 hour ago, Weirdpersonx said:

In regards to Epoch:

1. Love the double pun name

2. Is light affected by the time dilation? And is it affected in the same way? I would quite enjoy going on a long (totally not pointless) discussion about the physics of this?

1. I am very fond of double puns :)

2. For the physics of this... The time dilation isn't a result of movement, which will inevitably have weird implications for special relativity.

But I'm going to say light has the same apparent speed outside of the effect. Thus, inside the effect, light would in fact appear to speed up or slow down. However, since light moves incredibly fast in the first place, you wouldn't really notice it.

What you would notice is that light sources from outside the dilation area would seem much brighter or dimmer. This is because the light source is still emitting the same number of joules-per-second in the outside world. So if you are inside a faster time zone, it will appear as if that energy is being spread over a larger duration of time, thus outside lights like the sun will appear much darker inside a speed zone (you will want to bring a flashlight). Conversely, in a slow zone, outside light sources will appear to be much more intense. Meaning that crossing a slowed time barrier would also give you terrible sunburns, come to think of it (although a vehichle would mostly protect you I imagine).

Also, due to a feedback loop caused by the time slow down or speed up, it would take longer to create slow time zones than fast time zones.

Edited by Drake Marshall