19 minutes ago, Hemalurgic Headshot said:

Sounds alright. This will allow Epics with PIs like reincarnation to remain in effect if they were killed within the 30ft area.

Edit: @antgrgmn could you maybe spoiler the Borrower's bio? For some reason it is double spaced and takes up a ton of room.

This sounds good to me.

Done. I originally copy-pasted from word.

1 minute ago, antgrgmn said:

This sounds good to me.

Done. I originally copy-pasted from word.

Also, the Borrower's weakness is a bit vague. "Smarter" is relative to intelligence, and "intelligence" is hard to define. You gave the Borrower's IQ, but many people don't bother to take IQ tests. Would a person have to express that they know something that the Borrower does not know, or could the Borrower be unaware of the other person's intelligence and still have the weakness take effect?

Just now, Hemalurgic Headshot said:

Also, the Borrower's weakness is a bit vague. "Smarter" is relative to intelligence, and "intelligence" is hard to define. You gave the Borrower's IQ, but many people don't bother to take IQ tests. Would a person have to express that they know something that the Borrower does not know, or could the Borrower be unaware of the other person's intelligence and still have the weakness take effect?

I was going for a direct comparison, but I am leaning more toward if the Borrower thinks they are smarter than him. The more sure he is that they are smarter, the more his powers are weakened. 

Just now, antgrgmn said:

I was going for a direct comparison, but I am leaning more toward if the Borrower thinks they are smarter than him. The more sure he is that they are smarter, the more his powers are weakened. 

I this a lot more, because if someone could pull off an amazing bluff, it could technically work.

Just now, Hemalurgic Headshot said:

I this a lot more, because if someone could pull off an amazing bluff, it could technically work.

Yes, but the Borrower is cocky af, so it won't be activated randomly. It would have to be some seriously good acting.

3 minutes ago, The Young Pyromancer said:

So basically you need a good chess player to challenge Borrower, which he will agreee to, and then beat him, then shoot him.

I really hope my character doesn't challenge Borrower thinking he's a different type of Epic, then boost him, and start the feedback loop :wacko:.

With regards to the weakness, somewhat. Borrower would be nervous for sure, but probably wouldn't assume that the chess player is overall smarter than him. Therefore his powers would be slightly negated, but not fully. And yea, probably best to keep our characters far apart.

Name: The Creator, or Creator.

Primary power: Matter Manipulation. He can turn anything into anything. Conservation of Mass applies. The big difference between him and other epics is that this isn't instinctive.

Below is an in depth description of how his powers work.

Spoiler

Essentially how this works is he has to call up the structure of the object in his mind, then he has to mentally deconstruct it to the relevant sub components*, then mentally reconstruct it. This can take as long as days for complex things, to a few seconds for turning lead into gold. After reconstruction is complete, the object changes. The object changing takes maybe a few seconds if its a large object, otherwise it happens in a second or even instantly. 

Deconstructing objects takes a lot less time.  Doing things in mass also takes a lot less time.^

As a summary of what he can do and the relative difficulties:

• He can transmute elements relatively easily as he has practiced the most with this. 
  • Building individual types of molecules in also easy, but building enough different types of molecules to create an object is extremely difficult.
  • Changing the arrangement of molecules varies with complexity.

Its a lot easier to just deconstruct things, so when fighting he tends to do that, if he uses his powers at all.

A few examples.

• Assuming he knew how your weapon was made, he could deconstruct parts of it in a second or less. (turn all the steel to helium, or something else)
    • if he wanted to change the entire thing into helium at once, then it could take a minute or two assuming he knew the weapon. If he didn't, he would need to analyze it, then deconstruct it. The second case would take maybe ten minutes of focus once he knew its structure.
  • Creating a weapon would require days of concentration. He would need to construct all of the molecules, then arrange them in the proper structure, and also think about the way things were made (hammered iron would take more time to construct then poured iron).
  • Creating life would take years of concentration because of its complexity.

*If he wants to bend something, or dissolve it, he doesn't need to picture the atoms or molecules, because those aren't changing. The only thing that is changing, is the shape. Whereas if he wanted to turn a phone into a flower, it would take a lot more concentration and focusing on objects on the atomic level.

^It's easier to construct things if he makes all of the water first, then the glucose, then another molecule etc. Then assembles the materials.

Secondary power: Able to borrow mind power from willing subjects to speed up the work. So with a large enough crowd of willing subjects, he could create life in days, assuming he knew enough biology.

Passive power: He gains a knowledge of the structure objects by holding them/being near them. More knowledge the more he holds/touches them.

I changed the third ability to a passive ability to increase his power slightly. This way he will be able to feel for materials in the ground just by standing. 

Appearence: Brown short hair and eyes. Around 5’ 10”. Clothing varies. 

Personality: Loves to be right. Nothing makes him happier to be right. He hates to be proven wrong if it’s by a inferior person. He won’t be mad if the scientist proves him wrong, but he will if some plebian from the street proves him wrong. This is also his weakness, as such he tries to avoid making assumptions or declaring his opinions. He is also arrogant when he is right. 

History: He led his own following of maples for a while after calamity. He would give them riches (gold) in return for their devotion.

His faction is TBD. He probably won’t run his own.  

38 minutes ago, The Young Pyromancer said:

Because I'm considering making my character's ability automatic.  He would wear gloves most of the time, but he would go barefoot so he could kick people.  Or should it not require skin-to-skin contact?

Could you clarify your characters ability?

@MacThorstenson In regards to Creator's weakness, how are his powers affected when he is wrong. If he happened to assume someone's name after hearing it in passing mention, but incorrectly, and said person corrected him, how would this affect Creator's powers?

He can enhance active powers on contact.  The strength of the enhancement is variable.  The stronger the enhancement, the higher the cost.  Imagine that Epics were like Feruchemists with metalminds that slowly regenerated.  Normally, they are fixed to drawing out the power at the rate it regenerates, but Nicroburst can increase the rate they draw apon their power.  This will turn off their power for a time afterwards as their power "regenerates", depending on how long he boosted them, how strong the power was originally, and how strongly he enhanced it.  So basically he can Nicroburst other Epics.

10 minutes ago, The Young Pyromancer said:

He can enhance active powers on contact.  The strength of the enhancement is variable.  The stronger the enhancement, the higher the cost.  Imagine that Epics were like Feruchemists with metalminds that slowly regenerated.  Normally, they are fixed to drawing out the power at the rate it regenerates, but Nicroburst can increase the rate they draw apon their power.  This will turn off their power for a time afterwards as their power "regenerates", depending on how long he boosted them, how strong the power was originally, and how strongly he enhanced it.  So basically he can Nicroburst other Epics.

Ah ok, I understand. I think that it would have to be a conscious activation to work.

2 minutes ago, The Young Pyromancer said:

Sure.   Though it could lead to some funny scenarios if someone is pretending to be a maple...

I mean, he would have to pick a power level. I suppose if it automatically used a lower power automatic might work.

I finished editing in a handful of character concepts to my post in the character thread. Feedback would be welcome.

It includes a more in-depth covering of Epoch and a possible profile for Epoch's head enforcer.

It also includes a totally unrelated epic that I thought could be fun. Her abilities are totally not a joke about quantum physics, nope :ph34r:

It also includes a maple that follows a certain epic.

Edited by Drake Marshall

@Hemalurgic Headshot 

Similarly to how prof’s powers could hurt him, but weren’t his weakness, being wrong about something and being corrected by someone would Cause his creation powers to shut off. 

If he is shown to be wrong by someone he would consider an inferior in that subject, then all of his powers shut off. 

Also, what factions do we have right now? We have Epoch’s faction and the belt. Any others?

Edited by MacThorstenson

58 minutes ago, MacThorstenson said:

@Hemalurgic Headshot 

Similarly to how prof’s powers could hurt him, but weren’t his weakness, being wrong about something and being corrected by someone would Cause his creation powers to shut off. 

If he is shown to be wrong by someone he would consider an inferior in that subject, then all of his powers shut off. 

Also, what factions do we have right now? We have Epoch’s faction and the belt. Any others?

Also Armageddon kind of and the circle shield, although I don’t think the shield was posted here. Its in the character thread.

EDIT: Seriously considering changing the belt the the balloon. All members are required to have a balloon tattoo.

Edited by Bladestorm

1 hour ago, Hemalurgic Headshot said:

@Drake Marshall did you realize that Quietus is the name of a character from the webcomic Folklore? It’s a good comic, about fallen superheroes in a dystopia (sounds familiar...).

Didn't know that. Maybe I'll give the comic a look.

I picked the name because it is another double pun :P

EDIT: Also, I was bored, and have now created PRT classifications for each of this RP's epics. The PRT (parahuman response team) is a government agency dedicated to dealing with superhumans, from Worm.

Not sure if all of them are accurate, but @Arraenae can correct me if not.

They are edited in at the bottom of my post in the character thread.

Edited by Drake Marshall

3 hours ago, Drake Marshall said:

EDIT: Also, I was bored, and have now created PRT classifications for each of this RP's epics. The PRT (parahuman response team) is a government agency dedicated to dealing with superhumans, from Worm.

Not sure if all of them are accurate, but @Arraenae can correct me if not.

They are edited in at the bottom of my post in the character thread.

Not exactly an expert here but seeing how her lances extend a good bit, Ray should probably have a Blaster rating. Voidgaze should also probably get something for her resurrection.

Sorry it took me so long to catch up.  The weekend was really busy.  

Personally, I would prefer for this city not to have a single epic in charge.  I kind of like the idea of it being relatively ignored due to Calgary getting way more focus and power being relatively decentralized in Edmonton.

The time travel weirdness makes me nervous but will abide by the group decision as people seem to like it.

Another city wide weirdness idea - I just finished a book called The Buried Giant in which a strange mist causes people to become forgetful.   What if there is an epic caused mist like that which comes out at night or something, causing people to stay in doors or risk becoming disoriented and forgetful?  It could lead to some fun sequences if people end up outside after dark, and one of the plot points could be hunting for the epic creating the mist.  It could also help explain why things are disorganized.  

Edit: It might even be a kind of safe place for epics whose weaknesses have been revealed or are on the run. If someone tried to find you or knows your weakness, you can trick them out into the mist and let them become forgetful and escape.  

Edit #2: Also my main critique of “maples” is it doesn’t seem like a term canadians (especially Western Canadians) would actually come up with - more likely to be something someone else came up with and applied to them.