11 minutes ago, The Young Pyromancer said:

Which is exactly why we should do it!  We could even bring in OG characters in the background and not have to worry about canon!

What happens if Apocalypse Guard comes out and reveals some stuff?

edit: admittedly unlikely.

Edited by Kidpen

1 minute ago, Kidpen said:

If what we write doesn't fit into the canon, then we could simply say it's one of Megan's alternate realities. However, I do agree with Coma that pre-Calamity will be more interesting to write.

14 minutes ago, Comatose said:

I think post Calamity is a little too unknown to venture into.  I prefer pre personally. 

How long before Steelheart was Oregon destroyed again?  I can’t find the timeline we worked out.  @Voidus @Edgedancer

RP started in Spetember 2023 and we set Steelheart's death in 2025. So definetly over a year, possibly two.

Edit: Oh wait, the actual destruction. Never said much about that but where shooting for early 2024 at the latest.

9 minutes ago, Kidpen said:

Meh. Not much unknown relevant information left, really. And even if, no harm done and we just continue with what we setteled on.

Edited by Edgedancer

1 hour ago, The Young Pyromancer said:

Yes.  And whenever they use their powers, a 2/1 Elemental token is created!

Well, they used to have a cooler power before an assumed called blizzard nerfed them.

EDIT: I originally suggested post-Calamity, but I think pre is better. Upon some reflection, it’s probably more interesting to write when every faction is evil.

plus, not all epics are stone cold killers. Curveball, for example, was basically a regular thug.

Edited by Bladestorm

Alright, my epic. Almost everything is up for changes if people have thoughts, in particular the weakness. As it stands here, it has to be something he is constantly exposed to, and something he could reasonably try to stop. I also want a more realistic way for him to guess what his weakness is. Don't be shy about any objections you have whatsoever, or feel free to ignore if you'd rather focus on getting the RP actually happening.

Spoiler

Secrets.

Spoiler

Actual:

Power: Being incredibly persuasive.

[Name] can convince people of whatever he tells them. However, this has limits. He can only convince people with particularly weak wills, approximately one tenth of the population. He can also never convince epics. (Note: One tenth may be too much. Open to objections.)

Weakness: Being wrong in his moral belief.

His powers are negated if he were convinced that his belief that the destruction of humanity is the only way to save them is wrong. This would take affect by having all of the people convinced by him suddenly going back to their previous belief.

Power: Blowing up the Universe

Weakness: People who would publicly disagree with his moral belief. (Very Long Range, extending to the whole planet)

History:

[Name] believes that humanity is horrible, and should be destroyed. He spent years homeless in the streets of [City near new city], and there saw the worst of humanity. After Calamity came, he desperately wanted the ability to end all life in this universe. He turned to chanting out to the people on the streets about his belief, hoping that people would agree, and turn their lives to his cause as he has. One day, he suddenly felt enormous power rush into him, and knew that his wish had been fulfilled. He immediately tried to use his power to blow up the universe, but it didn’t work. Confused, he suddenly realized it must be because he was exposed to his weakness (which he knew was people who disagreed with his want to blow up the universe) currently. So once again he turned to preaching-but this time, people listened. At least one in ten completely agreed with what he was saying and agreed to help him. Eventually he was able to get quite a few people-even if it was only 10% of the people in the city, that was more than enough to overpower the rest, who had no will to fight. Epics in the city provided resistance, but not enough to stop an army. Having became the dictator of the city years later, he was thinking about expanding his borders. However, one day a new epic came to the city. [Name] tried to put him under his dictatorship, but the man refused. Going on a rampage, the man killed [Name]’s entire army. Fleeing and worried, [Name] ran, eventually ending up in [New City], hoping to once again grow his army and convince the world that destruction is the only way.

Edited by Kidpen

19 minutes ago, Kidpen said:

Alright, my epic. Almost everything is up for changes if people have thoughts, in particular the weakness. As it stands here, it has to be something he is constantly exposed to, and something he could reasonably try to stop. I also want a more realistic way for him to guess what his weakness is. Don't be shy about any objections you have whatsoever, or feel free to ignore if you'd rather focus on getting the RP actually happening.

Hide contents

Secrets.

Reveal hidden contents

Actual:

[Name] can convince people of whatever he tells them. However, this has limits. He can only convince people with particularly weak wills, approximately one tenth of the population. He can also never convince epics. (Note: One tenth may be too much. Open to objections.)

His powers are negated if he were convinced that his belief that the destruction of humanity is the only way to save them is wrong. This would take affect by having all of the people convinced by him suddenly

Weakness: People who would publicly disagree with his moral belief. (Very Long Range, extending to the whole planet)

History:

[Name] believes that humanity is horrible, and should be destroyed. He spent years homeless in the streets of [City near new city], and there saw the worst of humanity. After Calamity came, he desperately wanted the ability to end all life in this universe. He turned to chanting out to the people on the streets about his belief, hoping that people would agree, and turn their lives to his cause as he has. One day, he suddenly felt enormous power rush into him, and knew that his wish had been fulfilled. He immediately tried to use his power to blow up the universe, but it didn’t work. Confused, he suddenly realized it must be because he was exposed to his weakness (which he knew was people who disagreed with his want to blow up the universe) currently. So once again he turned to preaching-but this time, people listened. At least one in ten completely agreed with what he was saying and agreed to help him. Eventually he was able to get quite a few people-even if it was only 10% of the people in the city, that was more than enough to overpower the rest, who had no will to fight. Epics in the city provided resistance, but not enough to stop an army. Having became the dictator of the city years later, he was thinking about expanding his borders. However, one day a new epic came to the city. [Name] tried to put him under his dictatorship, but the man refused. Going on a rampage, the man killed [Name]’s entire army. Fleeing and worried, [Name] ran, eventually ending up in [New City], hoping to once again grow his army and convince the world that destruction is the only way.

So basically an epic whose superpower is creating a death cult? Depending on how you play it, that sounds like it could actually be very entertaining. Now I kind of want one of my characters to be a vanilla follower for this epic, honestly.

And while I think the general consensus is that we are making epics weaker in the reboot, I'm pretty sure this one fits in without being overpowered.

(about that, do we want to establish some kind of guidelines for epic power levels in the reboot?)

Edited by Drake Marshall

3 hours ago, Weirdpersonx said:

If what we write doesn't fit into the canon, then we could simply say it's one of Megan's alternate realities. However, I do agree with Coma that pre-Calamity will be more interesting to write.

I mean, we already are in an alternate reality anyway, right? 

Edit: Re: Power levels, I realized my chaotic child is probably one of the most powerful Epic ever, despite their lack of a prime invincibility, because if someone ever reacted to something like it was an “mind blowing realization” in their company and they didn’t turn them back, there’d be... consequences. Namely, mind blowing ones. I think I kinda like the idea of them being totally OP but literally doing nothing with it, ‘shoving souls back in’ before anyone actually ‘keels over in surprise’ and what not. (They could probably low key destroy all life on earth, actually. If not more. Wow. I love them already)

Edited by winter devotion
Mroe

1 hour ago, winter devotion said:

Edit: Re: Power levels, I realized my chaotic child is probably one of the most powerful Epic ever, despite their lack of a prime invincibility, because if someone ever reacted to something like it was an “mind blowing realization” in their company and they didn’t turn them back, there’d be... consequences. Namely, mind blowing ones. I think I kinda like the idea of them being totally OP but literally doing nothing with it, ‘shoving souls back in’ before anyone actually ‘keels over in surprise’ and what not. (They could probably low key destroy all life on earth, actually. If not more. Wow. I love them already)

...is this red we’re talking about here? How exactly do the powers work!

EDIT: Sorry for the double post, folks. My bad.

EDIT 2: OHHHHHH, it’s the cartoon guy. That makes so much more sense.

Edited by Bladestorm

17 minutes ago, The Young Pyromancer said:

Now I want to read a fanfic about a team of Alpacas that somehow became Epics and rescue people from natural disasters and stuff.

Why a fanfic? That sounds like a perfectly reasonable extension of the recliners for Brandon to follow 

9 hours ago, Bladestorm said:

Power level wise, I would say no prime invincibilities past fortuity level, no teleportation without serious limits, and no instakill abilities a la deathpoint.

PIs and teleportation I agree with (Specifically I'd say no teleportation that can be instantly and endlessly used, either limit number of uses, or limit time to activate), but instakill abilities I'm in favor of. I mean plenty of abilities are essentially instakill anyway, at least with one that's literally just 'things die' you could put a limit that Epics are immune to it, or take longer to affect. 

10 hours ago, Kidpen said:

Reveal hidden contents

Secrets.

Reveal hidden contents

Actual:

His powers are negated if he were convinced that his belief that the destruction of humanity is the only way to save them is wrong. This would take affect by having all of the people convinced by him suddenly

History:

Spoiler

Your text cuts off in the weakness section.

Besides that, depending on the town's population, a tenth would really be an extreme number, assuming he can keep all of them controlled at the same time. Another way to limit him would be to make it so that for any objectionable/dangerous orders (so crimes or putting themselves in danger) he needs to be present to maintain the control. Making him a noticable and squishy target.

10 hours ago, winter devotion said:

Would a comic mind blowing effect actually do anything but leave your face a bit sooty? Actually exploding heads on the other hand... that'd certainly give her a reputation. And then people lose their eyeballs and go blind every time they meet her. :P

7 hours ago, The Young Pyromancer said:

Now I want to read a fanfic about a team of Alpacas that somehow became Epics and rescue people from natural disasters and stuff.

You know what? I'm sure that with science advancing, you could make motivator implants. Meaning this would be actually possible.

6 minutes ago, Voidus said:

PIs and teleportation I agree with (Specifically I'd say no teleportation that can be instantly and endlessly used, either limit number of uses, or limit time to activate), but instakill abilities I'm in favor of. I mean plenty of abilities are essentially instakill anyway, at least with one that's literally just 'things die' you could put a limit that Epics are immune to it, or take longer to affect. 

Right, there's a bit of a grey are on what is Fortuity level (For example, where's resurrection that makes it nearly impossible to permanently remove the Epic but doesn't make taking them out of the action for a while) but in general I agree. On the instakills, it's not just abilities like plasma beams that are bad news. Once people start packing guns, many offensive superpowers end up being slightly underwhelming. Assuming battles are actually lethal of course, but if they aren't supposed to be, then there's no reason to be worried about insta kill powers anyway.

There's the matter of dodging and accuracy, so conditions should maybe be a tad more restrictive than just pointing at people but the general concept isn't a flat out no.

And another character idea. Meta Epic so probably not likely to work in RP but just had the thought and my character creation compulsion is slowly taking hold of me again. :D

Spoiler

Iva, a canceler Epic who can cancel any Epic power that is used directly on him. Alternatively if he spends a number of hours with an Epic he can permanently cancel their powers. The Epic is aware of this process so he can't do it stealthily.

Is aiming to slowly remove the powers of every Epic in the world, is very opposed to killing even Epics as he believes he has the means to redeem them all.

Character Elaborated:

Name- Nicroburst. (I assume that Brandon exists in the Reckonerverse, he just never wrote the Reckoners.  If you guys could think of a good name that isn't Cosmere that would be great.)

Occupation- Reckoner mimicker.  He wanted to become a Reckoner, but the group he approached tried to kill him.  So, he began going it alone.

Power- Nicroburst.  He can enhance other epic's powers temporarily, the length of time increasing as the strength increases, and then they shut off temporarily, again length depending on strength.  Requires contact.

Evil manifestation- Since his power isn't that strong, being a jerk after he uses it for a while.

Goal- Finding a nice Epic who has a limited copying power, so he can copy Nicroburst's power and enhance him so he can superenhance him without it expiring so he can permacopy all the Epic abilities.

1 hour ago, The Young Pyromancer said:

Character Elaborated:

Name- Nicroburst. (I assume that Brandon exists in the Reckonerverse, he just never wrote the Reckoners.  If you guys could think of a good name that isn't Cosmere that would be great.)

Occupation- Reckoner mimicker.  He wanted to become a Reckoner, but the group he approached tried to kill him.  So, he began going it alone.

Power- Nicroburst.  He can enhance other epic's powers temporarily, the length of time increasing as the strength increases, and then they shut off temporarily, again length depending on strength.  Requires contact.

Evil manifestation- Since his power isn't that strong, being a jerk after he uses it for a while.

Goal- Finding a nice Epic who has a limited copying power, so he can copy Nicroburst's power and enhance him so he can superenhance him without it expiring so he can permacopy all the Epic abilities.

Meta Epics are pretty rare...