You Know You're a Sanderfan When...

Shardbearer

When one of your relatives makes a Stick joke at a picnic even though they've never read Words of Radiance and you realize that you've referenced the Cosmere so much that the people around you make the references automatically, even if they don't understand them. (Kind of like when I was little; I repeated and laughed at the adult jokes I had seen on Dad's favorite movies, without the faintest idea what they meant.)

When your wife and coworkers know almost as much about the cosmere as you do...even though they've never read any of the books...

When you read your newborn son so much Sanderson that his first words may end up being "Mistborn" or "Life before death."...

When you come home from work and your wife asks how you day was...and your reply is..."Well some the other members on the forum really liked one of my theories..." 

When your wife and coworkers know almost as much about the cosmere as you do...even though they've never read any of the books...

When you read your newborn son so much Sanderson that his first words may end up being "Mistborn" or "Life before death."...

When you come home from work and your wife asks how you day was...and your reply is..."Well some the other members on the forum really liked one of my theories..." 

My wife is not a huge fan of that answer from me. Everything in this post is accurate except the reading to my kid because I'm childless as of yet. 

Edited by BreathTaker

When you feel mingled joy and frustration waking into a bookstore to find no Firefight or adult Sanderson books, but you do see Alcatraz in print for the first time! (But not the first one :(. Can they be read out of order?)

I found it first in *gasp* a library. Sort of weird, right?

When you feel mingled joy and frustration waking into a bookstore to find no Firefight or adult Sanderson books, but you do see Alcatraz in print for the first time! (But not the first one :(. Can they be read out of order?)

To my knowledge they are a continuous story, with each book having a resolution to the problem that gets brought up in the beginning. I have not read them though, but that is the impression I get having done some no-spoil research about them.

Alas, they must be read in order.  Hopefully there will come a day (late this year) when you see the reprinted versions from the beginning in this same bookstore!

When you constantly quote Wayne to your non-reader friend to show her what she's missing.

When you're watching Frozen and that friend asks how the trolls necklaces glow, and you say "oh, probably with Stormlight." Or when you get really distracted because you're comparing and contrasting Anna with Shallan. They do kind of look alike.

No, I haven't. I wait for them to read the books, telling them that they cannot look up any spoilers on the Internet (since the Cosmere is acknowledged FAR too widely on the web, in my opinion). Then I figure out if they have any suspicions, and then I push them in the right direction. I personally believe that the Cosmere is so much cooler if you figure it out on your own. Like I suspected for a few years and then finally found out. 

What? I like secrets.

No, I haven't. I wait for them to read the books, telling them that they cannot look up any spoilers on the Internet (since the Cosmere is acknowledged FAR too widely on the web, in my opinion). Then I figure out if they have any suspicions, and then I push them in the right direction. I personally believe that the Cosmere is so much cooler if you figure it out on your own. Like I suspected for a few years and then finally found out. 

What? I like secrets.

One could almost say there's... 'always another secret'...

*cracks self up while being burned at the stake by angry forumers. "I regret nothing!"*

When you "accidentally" build a new game based upon the SYMBOLS of Mistborn. True story, I did that, so far I have spent fortyish hours writing rules, constructing cards, and using Photoshop to make it look literally perfect. I showed it to him at Comic Con this last Saturday and he thought it was pretty cool.

When a conversation goes like this:

Friend 1:Why are you petting the table with your foot?

Friend 2:Maybe it wanted petted. Tables have feelings too.

Friend 1: No they don't.

Me: Actually in the cosmere all things exist in the three realms including the Cognitive realm. So the table kind of would have feelings. If you were a Soulcaster you could go to the Cognitive realm and try to persuade it to change...

Friend 1:*eyes start to glass over* Oh go talk to Friend 3(my only Sanderfan friend).

Caution: A non-spoilery line from Firefight is referenced in this post.

When you hear that "The average person speaks 20000 words per day, that's enough to fill a book!"

And your response is: "Well sure, if you wanted to be a pedestrian with your books."

Edited by Khyrindor