You Know You're a Sanderfan When...

Shardbearer

All my "name" experiences...

• When you realize that your friend who does everything perfect has a symmetrical name: Hannah.
  • When you think "Hoid" is a completely normal name.
  • When you're introduced to someone named "Chris", but you automatically assume it's spelled "Khriss". (After all, aren't we all talking about worldhoppers?)
  • When you think Merrin would be an acceptable name for a boy.
  • When you start explaining to your friend, completely out of the blue, how to tell which country a Rosharin is from based only on their name.

Also, when you're sitting on the couch and you suddenly start repeating "Urithiru" to yourself to see if you can hear how symmetrical it is. Then, when your sister comes and asks what you're doing, you somehow get into this "argument": "Urithiru," "Well, you're a thiru too!" "No, Urithiru." "Yes, and you're a thiru." "Urithiru. It's a city, I'm trying to hear how symmetrical-" "You're a thiru." "Urithiru." "You're still a thiru." "Urithiru!" (And on and on for about five minutes.)

Also, when you're sitting on the couch and you suddenly start repeating "Urithiru" to yourself to see if you can hear how symmetrical it is. Then, when your sister comes and asks what you're doing, you somehow get into this "argument": "Urithiru," "Well, you're a thiru too!" "No, Urithiru." "Yes, and you're a thiru." "Urithiru. It's a city, I'm trying to hear how symmetrical-" "You're a thiru." "Urithiru." "You're still a thiru." "Urithiru!" (And on and on for about five minutes.)

I guess it does depend on pronunciation. I always pronounced it oo-ree-th-eer-oo. Totes symmetrical. Though I guess Rosharans use the letter h for any other letter, so it would be pronounced oo-ree-tt-eer-oo...then again the th sound could be its own letter...so yeah ^_^

I guess it does depend on pronunciation. I always pronounced it oo-ree-th-eer-oo. Totes symmetrical. Though I guess Rosharans use the letter h for any other letter, so it would be pronounced oo-ree-tt-eer-oo...then again the th sound could be its own letter...so yeah ^_^

I was just going off of the audiobook. ;)

Sometimes I wish for a pronunciation guide after the Ars Arcanum, but then I realize that it might add another 50 or so pages on top of Words of Radiance, and that book is heavy enough already! :P

I was just going off of the audiobook. ;)

Sometimes I wish for a pronunciation guide after the Ars Arcanum, but then I realize that it might add another 50 or so pages on top of Words of Radiance, and that book is heavy enough already! :P

I've yet to use an audiobook. I'm too afraid pronunciations will throw me off. My friends have always criticized me for my pronunciations. Example:

The name Eliwood.

Most people's pronunciation: EL-ih-wood. A short "I" sound.

My pronunciation: EL-iy-wood: A long "I" sound.

So when it comes to fantasy names, I just don't even risk it. Particularly once I found out how Elantris pronunciations worked.

When someone on the weather blog that you follow as obsessively as the 17th Shard states "I am a Snowbro" over and over to reassure himself of an upcoming storm, and your response is to post the entire deleted interlude for the stick from Words of Radiance

the next time they forecast rain, you should post "the everstorm comes"

EDIT: About the pronunciation issue, someone in the know may upload a youtube video in which they pronounce all the names.

Edited by king of nowhere

You know you're a member of 17th Shard when you're reading Way of Kings and Jasnah takes Shallan out for a philosophy lesson, heading into a Dark Alley, and you suddenly think "DON'T ACCEPT THE COOKIES, SHALLAN!!"

...Then tell yourself to be quiet, so you can continue the story.

When you dream of the day the Dark Alley will become Cannon.

Edited by Fatebreaker