The Sword of Harmony vs the Son of honor

bmcclure7

1 hour ago, Frustration said:

O2 I'd say probably closer to 50%, O1 30%

There isn't really an oath 0.

I call pre-O1 squires O0. Might just be me.
What's the difference other than light efficiency? Other than training regimins.

O3 is 100%

I was thinking an open dual, not a battlefield. Similar, but slightly different. Also, he may not have been thinking about the whole bendalloy savant thing that is almost the equivalent of steel-ish compounding. That reminds me that compounding as a mistborn is possible, and would help further, but I assume that is prohibited.

Just now, IlstrawberrySeed said:

I call pre-O1 squires O0. Might just be me.

You have to be Oath 1 to be a squire.

1 minute ago, IlstrawberrySeed said:

What's the difference other than light efficiency? Other than training regimins.

You do become more powerful as well(WoK 955)

10 hours ago, IlstrawberrySeed said:

I was thinking an open dual, not a battlefield. Similar, but slightly different. Also, he may not have been thinking about the whole bendalloy savant thing that is almost the equivalent of steel-ish compounding. That reminds me that compounding as a mistborn is possible, and would help further, but I assume that is prohibited.

Open duel is closer to battlefield than sneaking around and sliting throats (the other situation put forth in WoB). In open duel Windrunner has the most advantages still (better maneuverability , better defense, better melee offense, comparable ranged offense (different strengths though).

And three things on bendalloy savantism

1. Wayne was not savant, despite using it for over 20 years, 6 of those with being possibly one of the richest people on the planet and being able to afford as much metal as he needed.
  2. Savantism also has severe negative side-effects, it is not just straight up upgrade.
  3. We don't know if shaping the bubble to such extent is possible even with savantism, so using it as argument is facetious. And unlike steel-compounding, you could not affect things outside of the bubble, severely restricting the usefulness. (as the bubble forms barrier between you and your surroundings, and objects are either fully in or fully out. So if you are inside bubble, then anything outside cannot be affected by you).

And since this thread is about Wax, who is most certainly not a bendalloy savant, this line of reasoning is not particularly fruitful.

Edited by therunner

20 hours ago, Frustration said:

You have to be Oath 1 to be a squire.

You do become more powerful as well(WoK 955)

Where was that mentioned? Is it the same as Kal being O4 without saying it?
Good to know.

9 hours ago, therunner said:

Open duel is closer to battlefield than sneaking around and sliting throats (the other situation put forth in WoB). In open duel Windrunner has the most advantages still (better maneuverability , better defense, better melee offense, comparable ranged offense (different strengths though).

And three things on bendalloy savantism

1. Wayne was not savant, despite using it for over 20 years, 6 of those with being possibly one of the richest people on the planet and being able to afford as much metal as he needed.
  2. Savantism also has severe negative side-effects, it is not just straight up upgrade.
  3. We don't know if shaping the bubble to such extent is possible even with savantism, so using it as argument is facetious. And unlike steel-compounding, you could not affect things outside of the bubble, severely restricting the usefulness. (as the bubble forms barrier between you and your surroundings, and objects are either fully in or fully out. So if you are inside bubble, then anything outside cannot be affected by you).

And since this thread is about Wax, who is most certainly not a bendalloy savant, this line of reasoning is not particularly fruitful.

True. I don't know that I would call it comparable offense. With F-Iron and the lashings, projectiles make the items good anchors.
1. True. Not really relevant as far as I can tell.
2. True, we don't know what those are.
3. WoB said its possible unless I'm remembering wrong.
3. Not true, anything partially in the bubble acts as if it is completely in the bubble, but one can still interact with things outside while partially inside.

23 hours ago, Frustration said:

O3 is 100%

Hide contents

Questioner

We've been wondering who would win in a fight, a Mistborn or...a Windrunner.

Brandon Sanderson

It really depends on the situation. I would say the Windrunner will win on a battlefield and the Mistborn will win at sneaking around and slitting people's throats. Calamity Seattle signing (Feb. 17, 2016)

Shardplate + high Ideal Stormligt healing is just too impressive, Kaladin likely wins pretty near 100% of the time vs Mistborn Wax. Wax's only chance would be to have 2 guns, one heavy with a Duralumin Steelpush to blow up the Shardplate, then one with aluminum bullets to bypass healing.

However... below 4th ideal, one major caveat to that WoB ... that likely means a Mistborn with era 1 technology, as that's what we'd seen up to that point and the re-appearance of Mistborn in TLM would have been a major spoiler. Guns with aluminum bullets are going to make Stormlight healing vastly less effective. And Wax's firearm skill is good enough that I don't think Gravitation flight could avoid being hit.

23 hours ago, alder24 said:

Just to point out, one Nex-im has like a 7000 year long record of not being killed by the same person twice. Just saying.

That was probably mostly against normal mortals. For many if not most Desolations there were no Radiants. He was probably smart enough not to tangle with a Herald.  And it's not clear if the first (proto-)Radiants immediately had their full powers (was Shardplate original? It doesn't seem a natural result of mimicking the Honorblades).

He probably only faced Radiants a couple times.

14 hours ago, IlstrawberrySeed said:

True. I don't know that I would call it comparable offense.

Lashings are more general (don't have to affect metal, completely bypassing one defensive option of Mistborn), are stronger at greater distances (greater speed), comparable at medium distances (i.e. ~20 meters) and weaker at small distances (unless Lashed a lot). The downside is that they are only 'local', unlike option to push/pull distant objects for Mistborn. On the other hand, reverse lashing can be used to bring needed objects close to partially help there.

So lashings are more versatile, comparably powerful (sometimes more, sometimes less) and the only weaker part is that they are local and not ranged.
I would call that comparable.

With F-Iron and the lashings, projectiles make the items good anchors.

Not sure what is meant by this.

14 hours ago, IlstrawberrySeed said:

1. True. Not really relevant as far as I can tell.

2. True, we don't know what those are.
3. WoB said its possible unless I'm remembering wrong.
3. Not true, anything partially in the bubble acts as if it is completely in the bubble, but one can still interact with things outside while partially inside.

1. Is relevant because overwhelming majority of Mistborn won't be savants in any metal. Especially if 20 years of regular combat use is insufficient for savanthood. So treating an extreme edge case as a regular one is a kind of a fallacy.

3. We know that shaping a bubble is possible, but there is a considerable difference between shaping a bubble to some static shape (what Wayne did in TLM, and what WoB says) and continuously shaping the bubble to allow movement and remain 'skin-tight'. Even if the bubble moved with the savant, the shape of the bubble would have to adjust for the movement, something which as far as we know is not possible.

3. If anything partially in the bubble is fully in the bubble, then interacting with that objects means that savant has no speed advantage thanks to bubble and are just a regular person/Mistborn. We have seen no interaction with objects outside of the bubble from someone who was inside (as far as I know, please correct me if need be).

5 hours ago, therunner said:

3. We know that shaping a bubble is possible, but there is a considerable difference between shaping a bubble to some static shape (what Wayne did in TLM, and what WoB says) and continuously shaping the bubble to allow movement and remain 'skin-tight'. Even if the bubble moved with the savant, the shape of the bubble would have to adjust for the movement, something which as far as we know is not possible.

It is possible to move with the bubble, however you are correct, once a bubble is set up it can't change shape.

Spoiler

Questioner

So my quick question: Can you use Identity (I love the speed bubbles!) to anchor speed bubbles to yourself?

Brandon Sanderson

Uh, this is possible. That's less a matter of Identity. What’s gonna happen there, like, the more someone uses the powers, the more familiar and intermingled with their soul the powers become, and they are able to accomplish things that others can't. This would be like a Mistborn learning to hover a coin, right, which they can do, but most think you can't. That's the sort of level we're going with.

Necarion

So a savant could?

Brandon Sanderson

A savant could totally do that. The problem is, things moving in and out of a speed bubble, there's a transference of energy. This is how we keep speed bubbles from irradiating people when light moves through them, right, red shift. And so there's a transfer of energy directly from the Spiritual Realm, which means that moving with a speed bubble, you're gonna run into that, and it's gonna be, it's gonna cause all kinds of problems, but it would be possible.

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/33/#e2761

8 hours ago, therunner said:

Lashings are more general (don't have to affect metal, completely bypassing one defensive option of Mistborn), are stronger at greater distances (greater speed), comparable at medium distances (i.e. ~20 meters) and weaker at small distances (unless Lashed a lot). The downside is that they are only 'local', unlike option to push/pull distant objects for Mistborn. On the other hand, reverse lashing can be used to bring needed objects close to partially help there.

So lashings are more versatile, comparably powerful (sometimes more, sometimes less) and the only weaker part is that they are local and not ranged.
I would call that comparable.

Not sure what is meant by this.

1. Is relevant because overwhelming majority of Mistborn won't be savants in any metal. Especially if 20 years of regular combat use is insufficient for savanthood. So treating an extreme edge case as a regular one is a kind of a fallacy.

3. If anything partially in the bubble is fully in the bubble, then interacting with that objects means that savant has no speed advantage thanks to bubble and are just a regular person/Mistborn. We have seen no interaction with objects outside of the bubble from someone who was inside (as far as I know, please correct me if need be).

The circumstances I brought up, where only push/pullable projiles are availiable, the lashings would act like the projictile was against a wall. The metal being lashed increases the skimmer halfborn's manoverability.

1. We're not talking about a random halfborn though, were talking about a theoretical one, that can savant in metals that they want before the fight. Similar to how FFI says to savant in pewter.
3. It doesn't need to be skintight, only small enough not to pierce your chest too far. Grappling isn't an option, but the windrunner wouldn't want to grapple anyway. If one could get it down to a couple inches, then grappling opens up again, but you don't want to grapple anyway.
3. I believe shifting footing was mentioned in the tunnel/crevice fight when Wax is tossed mostly out.

Edited by IlstrawberrySeed

3 minutes ago, IlstrawberrySeed said:

The circumstances I brought up, where only push/pullable projiles are availiable, the lashings would act like the projictile was against a wall. The metal being lashed increases the skimmer halfborn's manoverability.

A lashed object is invested and can't be pushed on.

Just now, IlstrawberrySeed said:

Harder, but not impossible.

Given that Stormlight is a mist analog

Spoiler

Questioner

I know that there's three sorts of forms that magic presents itself in, the liquid and the solid and air. What would Breath be?

Brandon Sanderson

Breath is definitely like mist, it is in the form of the air.

Questioner

And is Stormlight the same?

Brandon Sanderson

Stormlight is the same.

Words of Radiance Philadelphia signing (March 21, 2014)

Team Teama

Vin “sucked in the mists” with a deep breath, also the mist was “leaking” from her arms. Is that similar to Stormlight?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes it is. One hundred percent. In fact, you should notice that when Shardblades form they take a certain shape... substance.

Adam Horne

Oh jeez, yeah...

Brandon Sanderson

Did you never notice that?

Adam Horne

No, I did, but you know… you don't think about it.

Brandon Sanderson

Before they solidify, yeah.

YouTube Spoiler Stream 2 (June 3, 2021)

Questioner

I'm going through Hero of Ages...again and I noticed...when Vin takes the power of Preservation into herself the descriptions remind me a lot of someone who has been Invested with Stormlight--

Brandon Sanderson

Yes.

Questioner

--are those powers very similar--

Brandon Sanderson

Yes.

Questioner

--in how they operate?

Brandon Sanderson

Ye-- Definitely some similarities. You will see a lot of mist in Stormlight if you are looking. So yeah.

Questioner

It like puffs out like mist.

Bands of Mourning release party (Jan. 25, 2016)

I'd say it would be beyond the ability of any metalborn not being directly fueled by investiture, such as Mists, or Dor themselves in order to push on it.

6 minutes ago, IlstrawberrySeed said:

Also missed my edit.

I'm going to be real I lost track of that sub conversation a while ago.

Given that Stormlight is a mist analog

Hide contents

Questioner

I know that there's three sorts of forms that magic presents itself in, the liquid and the solid and air. What would Breath be?

Brandon Sanderson

Breath is definitely like mist, it is in the form of the air.

Questioner

And is Stormlight the same?

Brandon Sanderson

Stormlight is the same.

Words of Radiance Philadelphia signing (March 21, 2014)

Team Teama

Vin “sucked in the mists” with a deep breath, also the mist was “leaking” from her arms. Is that similar to Stormlight?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes it is. One hundred percent. In fact, you should notice that when Shardblades form they take a certain shape... substance.

Adam Horne

Oh jeez, yeah...

Brandon Sanderson

Did you never notice that?

Adam Horne

No, I did, but you know… you don't think about it.

Brandon Sanderson

Before they solidify, yeah.

YouTube Spoiler Stream 2 (June 3, 2021)

Questioner

I'm going through Hero of Ages...again and I noticed...when Vin takes the power of Preservation into herself the descriptions remind me a lot of someone who has been Invested with Stormlight--

Brandon Sanderson

Yes.

Questioner

--are those powers very similar--

Brandon Sanderson

Yes.

Questioner

--in how they operate?

Brandon Sanderson

Ye-- Definitely some similarities. You will see a lot of mist in Stormlight if you are looking. So yeah.

Questioner

It like puffs out like mist.

Bands of Mourning release party (Jan. 25, 2016)

I'd say it would be beyond the ability of any metalborn not being directly fueled by investiture, such as Mists, or Dor themselves in order to push on it.

I'm going to be real I lost track of that sub conversation a while ago.

We don't know how that investiture would effect it, especially as it wanes, only that it would. Even if they can only effect it shortly before it drops, it still provides significant mobility, and RLed projectiles wouldn't be invested, so would still be availiable.

I meant you posted during my edit, since I accedentally posted before I was done.

Kaladin because he's more of a duelist, and Shardplate is better in this scenario, especially against an explosive weapon. Wax has a better chance if the surroundings are more urban -- more metal to manipulate and cover to utilize. It's also worth pointing out that Wax is naturally a better killer. I might be wrong, but TLM gave me the impression that, only in his climb through the tower, Wax killed more people than Kal in his entire military carrier. It's also difficult to account for his Mistborn powers since we don't know how good he'll get with the rest of the metals.
So if we take them as they are by the end of their books - I say Kaladin. But if Wax has info and time to prepare and visit Ranette - Kal will be absolutely deleted.
Also interesting that at this point, in a broader sense, Wax and Kal fulfill a similar function on the battlefield. They fly in, draw attention, use their skills to deflect/block blows, and kill anything in their way.

34 minutes ago, ScadrianTank said:

Kaladin because he's more of a duelist, and Shardplate is better in this scenario, especially against an explosive weapon. Wax has a better chance if the surroundings are more urban -- more metal to manipulate and cover to utilize. It's also worth pointing out that Wax is naturally a better killer. I might be wrong, but TLM gave me the impression that, only in his climb through the tower, Wax killed more people than Kal in his entire military carrier.

That entirely depends on how many he killed at the battle of the Tower and during the year timeskip.

38 minutes ago, ScadrianTank said:

So if we take them as they are by the end of their books - I say Kaladin. But if Wax has info and time to prepare and visit Ranette - Kal will be absolutely deleted.

It would take Wax 2-3 bullets to break a section of plate, going all out. So that's him tapping weight and pushing on the bullet.

If he uses those bullets Kal throws down a reverse lashing and is unharmed, if he uses aluminum bullets so that they can't be affected by reverse lashings, then it requires more shots from him.

8 hours ago, Frustration said:

If he uses those bullets Kal throws down a reverse lashing and is unharmed, if he uses aluminum bullets so that they can't be affected by reverse lashings, then it requires more shots from him.

Totally doubt a bullet like this could actually work but I'm a little skeptical on some of the other hazekiller rounds anyways so an aluminum bullet that has an non aluminum metallic end that actually isn't part of the bullet but is just flush against it so Wax can push it but if Kaladin reverse lashes only the end falls off while the rest continues at same velocity. Basically a modified coinshot hazekiller round.

20 minutes ago, lacrossedeamon said:

Totally doubt a bullet like this could actually work but I'm a little skeptical on some of the other hazekiller rounds anyways so an aluminum bullet that has an non aluminum metallic end that actually isn't part of the bullet but is just flush against it so Wax can push it but if Kaladin reverse lashes only the end falls off while the rest continues at same velocity. Basically a modified coinshot hazekiller round.

Alright, I think I understand, but just in case could you explain that again in a different way?

5 minutes ago, Frustration said:

Alright, I think I understand, but just in case could you explain that again in a different way?

Two part bullet with the front part being aluminum to be immune to lashings and the back regular metal to allow pushing. The two parts are so loosely connected that if a second force acted on the back part it would fall away without noticeably hampering the velocity of the front part. So like the coinshot hazekiller round but the ceramic replaced with aluminum and the back part engineer to fall away if lashed rather than pushed. My main concern is if that type of construction would still allow for proper rifling and that the back end falling off wouldn't still knock the front off target.

5 hours ago, lacrossedeamon said:

My main concern is if that type of construction would still allow for proper rifling and that the back end falling off wouldn't still knock the front off target.

The hazekiller rounds for reverse lashing is an okish solution but I can't see a construction that wouldn't alter the round's route when reverse lashing is pulling on it. The direction in which reverse lashing would pull on bullets will mostly be in front of them, a little bit to the side. If the metal section was the back part of the bullet, it would always bump into the front aluminum section, knocking it off course. If the metal part is some kind of coating on the tip or the bullet, then there is no way to push it without separating both parts (regular aluminum bullets would be far better at this point). If there is some kind of rod weakly attached to the front metal part, and to a metal plate at the back of the bullet, which you can push, then the front part falls off when reverse lashing is applied, but the back part will still knock the bullet off course. You need a piece of metal on the back of the bullet to be able to push it, there is no way of making it in a way so it wouldn't alter the route of the aluminum bullet. And then it has to be versatile so it could resist reverse lashing applied from all directions, from the back, side, up and down. For every direction there has to be a different design. I can't see this type of bullet.

6 minutes ago, alder24 said:

The hazekiller rounds for reverse lashing is an okish solution but I can't see a construction that wouldn't alter the round's route when reverse lashing is pulling on it. The direction in which reverse lashing would pull on bullets will mostly be in front of them, a little bit to the side. If the metal section was the back part of the bullet, it would always bump into the front aluminum section, knocking it off course. If the metal part is some kind of coating on the tip or the bullet, then there is no way to push it without separating both parts (regular aluminum bullets would be far better at this point). If there is some kind of rod weakly attached to the front metal part, and to a metal plate at the back of the bullet, which you can push, then the front part falls off when reverse lashing is applied, but the back part will still knock the bullet off course. You need a piece of metal on the back of the bullet to be able to push it, there is no way of making it in a way so it wouldn't alter the route of the aluminum bullet. And then it has to be versatile so it could resist reverse lashing applied from all directions, from the back, side, up and down. For every direction there has to be a different design. I can't see this type of bullet.

I guess the real question is can you steelpush a bullet hard enough that the reverse lashing is inconsequential. It's not like a reverse lashing will cause the bullet to make a 90 degree turn. It might throw off precision aiming but if the bullet is going fast enough it should still hit the intended target especially if the steelpush is being applied throughout its flight.

5 minutes ago, lacrossedeamon said:

I guess the real question is can you steelpush a bullet hard enough that the reverse lashing is inconsequential. It's not like a reverse lashing will cause the bullet to make a 90 degree turn. It might throw off precision aiming but if the bullet is going fast enough it should still hit the intended target especially if the steelpush is being applied throughout its flight.

I highly doubt it. It's gravity, you would have to reach crazy speeds, maybe even few or few dozens of a percent of the speed of light, or something like that. No steel push will achieve that speed. And if multiple reverse lashings were applied, then there is simply no way - RoW spoilers

Spoiler

Kal's reverse lashing was able to separate a head from a body. That is insane force.

1 hour ago, alder24 said:

I highly doubt it. It's gravity, you would have to reach crazy speeds, maybe even few or few dozens of a percent of the speed of light, or something like that. No steel push will achieve that speed. And if multiple reverse lashings were applied, then there is simply no way - RoW spoilers

Hide contents

Kal's reverse lashing was able to separate a head from a body. That is insane force.

Fun fact, after RoW there were estimates, the force that reverse lashing generated was ~5kN :D
So that same force applied to bullet weighting 10 grams would generate something like 500 000 m/s^2 of acceleration :D  (from a = F/m) That is easily enough to curve bullet path, in 0.01 second (time for speed of sound bullet to cross 3.4 meters) it would add additional 5000 m/s of speed towards RL, more then enough to drag it away from intended target.

Alternatively, if the force of Reverse Lashing is proportional to mass of target, then the acceleration that head-tearing RL generated was 'just' around ~1000 m/s^2 . Which is still more then enough to curve the bullet path, this time generating additional speed of 10 m/s in 0.01 seconds, changing the trajectory of bullet by 5 cm, nearly enough to turn perfect head shot into a miss. And this assumes very fast bullet for the Era, and very close quarters.

At these speeds though we should really start considering air resistance.

Edited by therunner

3 hours ago, alder24 said:

Reveal hidden contents

2 hours ago, therunner said:

Fun fact, after RoW there were estimates, the force that reverse lashing generated was ~5kN :D
So that same force applied to bullet weighting 10 grams would generate something like 500 000 m/s^2 of acceleration :D  (from a = F/m) That is easily enough to curve bullet path, in 0.01 second (time for speed of sound bullet to cross 3.4 meters) it would add additional 5000 m/s of speed towards RL, more then enough to drag it away from intended target.

Alternatively, if the force of Reverse Lashing is proportional to mass of target, then the acceleration that head-tearing RL generated was 'just' around ~1000 m/s^2 . Which is still more then enough to curve the bullet path, this time generating additional speed of 10 m/s in 0.01 seconds, changing the trajectory of bullet by 5 cm, nearly enough to turn perfect head shot into a miss. And this assumes very fast bullet for the Era, and very close quarters.

At these speeds though we should really start considering air resistance.

Reverse lashing always felt kinda soft or hand wavy to me. After reading a bit more on it I do wonder if a constant steelpush would interfere with the lashing in the same way that an object on the ground won’t be as affected.

I will say that I believe Kaladin ripping Lezian’s head off is most likely a fringe case as it seems Kaladin was actively being Invested by Odium in that moment.

11 minutes ago, lacrossedeamon said:

Reverse lashing always felt kinda soft or hand wavy to me. After reading a bit more on it I do wonder if a constant steelpush would interfere with the lashing in the same way that an object on the ground won’t be as affected.

I'd doubt it, the reason that objects on the ground are harder to affect is that their Connection to the ground is strongest.

14 minutes ago, lacrossedeamon said:

I will say that I believe Kaladin ripping Lezian’s head off is most likely a fringe case as it seems Kaladin was actively being Invested by Odium in that moment.

Either way Bullets are affected, and it would take incredible force to overcome.

Spoiler

VindicationKnight

Could a Full Lashing bend the path of bullets? Or do they have too much momentum?

Brandon Sanderson

It could.

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/100/#e3523

6 minutes ago, lacrossedeamon said:

Kaladin did a similar feat during the battle of the Tower, when with one powerful burst of reverse lashing, he attracted hundred arrows into his shield. TWoK ch 67

The bridge crew was exposed. The archers loosed.

He yelled again, screaming out, Stormlight infusing the air around him as he threw every bit of it he had into his shield. The scream echoed in his ears; the Stormlight burst from him, his clothing freezing and cracking.

Arrows darkened the sky. Something hit him, an extended impact that tossed him backward into the bridgemen. He struck hard, grunting as the force continued to push upon him [...]

His shield was covered in arrows, dozens of them, some splitting the others. The bones crossing the shield’s front had shattered; the wood was in splinters. Some of the arrows had gone through and hit his forearm. That was the pain.

Over a hundred arrows. An entire volley. Pulled into a single shield.

“By the Brightcaller’s rays,” Drehy said softly. “What... what was...”

“It was like a fountain of light,” Moash said, kneeling beside Kaladin. “Like the sun itself burst from you, Kaladin.”