Who would win, the Ultimate Cosmere free for all.

Frustration

We need to have a system in place to make determinations.  Perhaps a vote?

Much of what people want to do is based on speculation. Even my own, creating Nightblood, is based on speculation. We know it took someone with the 9th heightening, at least, and uses Ruin’s Investiture somehow, but literally nothing else.  So I assume as a world hopper  I can make something similar with the 9th Heightening and a 3rd Oath Bondsmith.  I mean, Vasher killed Shashara because she might reveal the secret, which means it is a repeatable experiment. Brandon made a comment that had Lightsong not healed The God King, Vivenna’s father would have gotten the secret to making Nightblood from Yesteel and had an army of them.  To me, that’s enough justification for it to work. 

But then there’s other I Win buttons, like infinite Fortune or the freaking Dawnshards. We don’t even know the slightest bit of what Dawnshards can do. Other than they were used to break God. 

So I propose that when someone wants something like Nightblood, or says Fortune works a specific way, we put it to a vote, and work to make a specific answer. For example. 

I say I can make Nightblood, or something on par with it (with, perhaps, different abilities, but on par). There was some question on whether or not it would be possible.  So let’s put it to a vote. 

1.  I can straight make a Copy of Nightblood

2. I can Awaken a Sword, but it’s basically a Shardblade that can’t shapeshift  

3. I can Awaken a Sword, but it can’t stand up to a Shardblade. 

I’ve given my justification for 1. I can accept 2 pretty well, as Vivenna’s Shardblade seemed every bit as deadly as a regular Shardblade.  If y’all vote for 3, I would disagree but I will bow to the will of the group.  

3 hours ago, Elsko said:

I’ll play the wild card:

1st Heightening - 1 pt

4 dawnshards - 256 pts

Now I’m pretty certain 4 dawnshards tops anything you can through at me.

I already did that one and you can technically get to just below second heightening so a few more breaths than 50.

My different builds are:

All four Dawnshards with 195 breaths

Chromium compounding with 2 Dawnshards (which still leaves me with 30 points to spare for whatever)

1000 point Boon to just be declared the Winner

Edited by lacrossedeamon

9 hours ago, lacrossedeamon said:

1000 point Boon to just be declared the Winner

How would it work? It is very important, you know? Because we know from Lift's example that Boons can do everything without limits, after all Lift asked not to change and she definitely didn't grow in past years.

1 hour ago, alder24 said:

How would it work? It is very important, you know? Because we know from Lift's example that Boons can do everything without limits, after all Lift asked not to change and she definitely didn't grow in past years.

Unless you are implying that I can actually get Cultivation to intercede rather than just a Boon/Bane I’m not sure why you are using Lift as an example.

1 minute ago, lacrossedeamon said:

Unless you are implying that I can actually get Cultivation to intercede rather than just a Boon/Bane I’m not sure why you are using Lift as an example.

In both cases, Lifts and Dalinar, Nightwatcher wasn't able to grant them what they wanted. With Dalinar we have in text evidence that when he asked for Forgiveness, Nightwatcher tried to give him a different Boon, until Cultivation intervened. It was because Nightwatcher wasn't able to give him what he wanted. In Lift's case even Cultivation wasn't able to give her fully what she wanted - Lift is still growing up. I don't care if it's Nightwatcher or Cultivation granting you Boon/Bane. They don't always give you what you wanted, because they can't. What I care about is how would asking her to be a winner work on the arena. This is important. You can't just say that you have boon to be a winner and therefore you win. Depending on how it would work it might help you, or do nothing at all.

25 minutes ago, alder24 said:

In both cases, Lifts and Dalinar, Nightwatcher wasn't able to grant them what they wanted. With Dalinar we have in text evidence that when he asked for Forgiveness, Nightwatcher tried to give him a different Boon, until Cultivation intervened. It was because Nightwatcher wasn't able to give him what he wanted. In Lift's case even Cultivation wasn't able to give her fully what she wanted - Lift is still growing up. I don't care if it's Nightwatcher or Cultivation granting you Boon/Bane. They don't always give you what you wanted, because they can't. What I care about is how would asking her to be a winner work on the arena. This is important. You can't just say that you have boon to be a winner and therefore you win. Depending on how it would work it might help you, or do nothing at all.

Nightwatcher couldn’t for Dalinar because she didn’t understand the concept; I assume she would under “win this competition”. Cultivation didn’t but we don’t know if she couldn’t or wouldn’t. Seeing as agelessness is something achievable in the cosmere by various means I assume she could if wanted to but chose not to. I will admit to that being speculative but so is flat out saying she couldn’t.

The main thing about Old Magic is we don’t know how it works at all so it’s really hard to say. One method could be letting one of y’all win, then stealing that bit of Identity/Connection/Destiny and granting it to me after the fact. Maybe she gives me an Essence Mark to change my history into having won it. Doubtful but maybe she kills all the other contestants; she probably can’t directly but a spren could possibly and the Nightwatcher is a powerful spren. She bribes the people officiating the competition (we do have officials right?). The possibilities are endless with Old Magic.

15 minutes ago, lacrossedeamon said:

Nightwatcher couldn’t for Dalinar because she didn’t understand the concept; I assume she would under “win this competition”. Cultivation didn’t but we don’t know if she couldn’t or wouldn’t. Seeing as agelessness is something achievable in the cosmere by various means I assume she could if wanted to but chose not to. I will admit to that being speculative but so is flat out saying she couldn’t.

WoB:

Spoiler

Questioner

So in The Stormlight Archive series--

Brandon Sanderson

The Stormlight Archive? How old are you? *laughter* How old are you?

Questioner

Nine.

Brandon Sanderson

Nine?! You're reading The Stormlight Archive? You are awesome! *cheers*

Questioner

So the character Lift, for her powers, why does she have to eat food instead of sucking in--

Brandon Sanderson

So why does Lift have to eat food instead of sucking in Stormlight. So Lift is a really weird one, she visited the Old Magic and asked something very strange. And the Old Magic didn't know how to treat that and answered with something equally strange. So you will eventually see what happened with Lift and things like that but suffice it to say some really weird things are going on with Lift.

Calamity Seattle signing (Feb. 17, 2016)

16 minutes ago, lacrossedeamon said:

One method could be letting one of y’all win, then stealing that bit of Identity/Connection/Destiny and granting it to me after the fact.

No, Old Magic affects only the person asking for a boon. And this means somebody else won this competition, not you.

17 minutes ago, lacrossedeamon said:

Maybe she gives me an Essence Mark to change my history into having won it.

This wouldn't be a winning. It's a forgery.

18 minutes ago, lacrossedeamon said:

Doubtful but maybe she kills all the other contestants

Old Magic affects only the person who asks for it.

19 minutes ago, lacrossedeamon said:

The possibilities are endless with Old Magic.

And you listed only the ones that are either impossible, or those that don't make you a winner.

8 minutes ago, alder24 said:

WoB:

Reveal hidden contents

Questioner

So in The Stormlight Archive series--

Brandon Sanderson

The Stormlight Archive? How old are you? *laughter* How old are you?

Questioner

Nine.

Brandon Sanderson

Nine?! You're reading The Stormlight Archive? You are awesome! *cheers*

Questioner

So the character Lift, for her powers, why does she have to eat food instead of sucking in--

Brandon Sanderson

So why does Lift have to eat food instead of sucking in Stormlight. So Lift is a really weird one, she visited the Old Magic and asked something very strange. And the Old Magic didn't know how to treat that and answered with something equally strange. So you will eventually see what happened with Lift and things like that but suffice it to say some really weird things are going on with Lift.

Calamity Seattle signing (Feb. 17, 2016)

No, Old Magic affects only the person asking for a boon. And this means somebody else won this competition, not you.

This wouldn't be a winning. It's a forgery.

Old Magic affects only the person who asks for it.

And you listed only the ones that are either impossible, or those that don't make you a winner.

That WOB is from before we knew it wasn’t actually the Nightwatcher and the WOB seems to answer in kind.

Do we know that Old Magic only affects the person asking for a boon? Nightwatcher says she can grant followers that implies she can affect other people.

When Shai forges herself into an Elantrian she is an Elantrian.

Again do we know that the Nightwatcher can’t kill people?

I might not even need to steal it just have that aspect of a spiritweb copied to my own without stealing. You can argue semantics all you want but my spiritual DNA would pass the smell test. If there was a competition winning or truth detecting magic it would confirm my status as the winner.

18 minutes ago, lacrossedeamon said:

That WOB is from before we knew it wasn’t actually the Nightwatcher and the WOB seems to answer in kind.

That's why Brandon names it Old Magic...

24 minutes ago, lacrossedeamon said:

Do we know that Old Magic only affects the person asking for a boon? Nightwatcher says she can grant followers that implies she can affect other people.

All boons we know of were affecting only one person, all Nightwatcher said was only about one person. Even followers can be granted by manipulating a person's connections, with some individuals, strengthening them, or giving him an aura similar to emotional allomancy. All descriptions of Old Magic were only talking about boons given to recipient. Cultivation still acts as Old Magic and Nightwatcher should be in this case.

30 minutes ago, lacrossedeamon said:

When Shai forges herself into an Elantrian she is an Elantrian.

But she didn't become one, she forged herself as one, and is one as long as she has Dor. You won't be the winner this way as someone else is the winner, who fought and won.

29 minutes ago, lacrossedeamon said:

Again do we know that the Nightwatcher can’t kill people?

Do we know that she can? Only Stormfather of all sprens killed people in his true form, and this was done using Highstorms. For all we know, she never left the Valley. 

28 minutes ago, lacrossedeamon said:

I might not even need to steal it just have that aspect of a spiritweb copied to my own without stealing. You can argue semantics all you want but my spiritual DNA would pass the smell test. If there was a competition winning or truth detecting magic it would confirm my status as the winner.

And yet you wouldn't be a winner.

10 hours ago, alder24 said:

That's why Brandon names it Old Magic...

I guess we will see in two books. I find it very hard to believe that Cultivation couldn't recreate the fifth heightening if she wanted to

All boons we know of were affecting only one person, all Nightwatcher said was only about one person. Even followers can be granted by manipulating a person's connections, with some individuals, strengthening them, or giving him an aura similar to emotional allomancy. All descriptions of Old Magic were only talking about boons given to recipient. Cultivation still acts as Old Magic and Nightwatcher should be in this case.

This is speculative.

But she didn't become one, she forged herself as one

I don't see the difference

Do we know that she can? Only Stormfather of all sprens killed people in his true form, and this was done using Highstorms. For all we know, she never left the Valley. 

Nope which leaves it up in the air but definitely not a "she definitely can't"

And yet you wouldn't be a winner.

And yet metaphysically I would be.

I guess we will see in two books. I find it very hard to believe that Cultivation couldn't recreate the fifth heightening if she wanted to

Cultivation intent is about change, Lift asked her not to change. It's like asking Preservation to ruin. 

I don't see the difference

When you run out of investiture, you stop being a winner. Yet the person who won, will be the winner forever.

Nope which leaves it up in the air but definitely not a "she definitely can't"

How would she kill somebody when she's never left the Valley? 

And yet metaphysically I would be.

But in literal meaning you wouldn't.

3 hours ago, alder24 said:

Cultivation intent is about change, Lift asked her not to change. It's like asking Preservation to ruin. 

Cultivation is about cultivating which can still happen by making someone ageless. This is assuming that Cultivation is not a “literal” genie.

When you run out of investiture, you stop being a winner. Yet the person who won, will be the winner forever.

Honestly I prefer it that way. Might come in handy.

How would she kill somebody when she's never left the Valley? 

No idea but we don’t know she wouldn’t be able to kill if afforded the opportunity.

But in literal meaning you wouldn't.

In a setting like the cosmere that seems less important in the long run.

I'm glad, but surprised, that my build wasn't questioned this time. I do believe a boon could easily be used to win, but I agree none of the aforementioned boons could. I think it would be good for Frus to declare a forged or stolen win doesn't count, because I actually lean towards Forgery being an I win button, where you forge that the person who killed you didn't see you, then that the person who won tripped on their way over, or ran out of __.

Boons that could cause an I-win button: (what do you all think of them)

• Possession: when you are killed, you possess the one that killed you. (bane is the same happens if you kill someone). This invokes cultivation of form.
  • Power replication: a common power among other series that hasn't been seen in BS writing AFAIK, this means that you get to tap their metalminds, burn their metals, and use their stormlight. Cultivation of Powers.
  • Suedo-immortality: You are impossible to kill, but you will die after X amount of time. More similar to cultivation of a plant, protecting the moderately strong parts of the bush while pruning it once it's too old and bark-y to produce much fruit.
  • Identity and Connection manipulation: I used this on my first character, but didn't try to push the limits. With perfect pitch, you can convert part of an enemies investiture into anti-investiure, causing their soul to annihilate itself. This is the least likely to be given of the 4 listed so far, as it is more about being a cultivator than cultivated.
Edited by IlstrawberrySeed
Thanks @The Known Novel

2 hours ago, IlstrawberrySeed said:

I'm glad, but surprised, that my build wasn't questioned this time. I do believe a boon could easily be used to win, but I agree none of the aforementioned boons could. I think it would be good for Frus to declare a forged or stolen win doesn't count, because I actually lean towards Forgery being an I win button, where you forge that the person who killed you didn't see you, then that the person who won tripped on their way over, or ran out of __.

Boons that could cause an I-win button: (what do you all think of them)

• Possession: when you are killed, you possess the one that killed you. (bane is the same happens if you kill someone). This invokes cultivation of form.
  • Power replication: a common power among other series that hasn't been seen in BS writing AFAIK, this means that you get to tap their metalminds, burn their metals, and use their stormlight. Cultivation of Powers.
  • Suedo-immortality: You are impossible to kill, but you will die after X amount of time. More similar to cultivation of a plant, protecting the moderately strong parts of the bush while pruning it once it's too old and bark-y to produce much fruit.
  • Identity and Connection manipulation: I used this on my first character, but didn't try to push the limits. With perfect pitch, you can convert part of an enemies investiture into anti-investiure, causing their soul to aniallate itself. This is the least likely to be given of the 4 listed so far, as it is more about being a cultivator than cultivated.

The game here is kinda trying to figure out who has the best "I win button" :P Curses and Boons may hold those, but I don't know if they can actually get that powerful without direct intervention by Cultivation.

• Possession would be neat. But that would most likely manifest as a Cognitive Shadow displacing the soul of another, which gets weird if you're displacing another Cognitive Shadow like a Fused.
  • Power Replication - depends if this gives you the powers that someone else has, or lets you use the fuel that someone else has. First is essentially Forgery or Bondsmithing (or maybe Spiritual Feruchemy manipulation), Second... that might be an I Win Button unless you get blitzed before you can use it on someone.
  • Pseudo-immortality probably wouldn't do it. There's not really a time limit on the free-for-all, and agelessness immortality is pretty easy to get on its own (Siah Amian, Sleepless, Fused, etc). So waiting it out isn't that big of a problem.
  • In order to make anti-Investiture, Navani had to isolate the Investiture from its natural Tone. I don't know if that's something you can do with accessible levels of Identity or Connection manipulation, especially if you're targeting someone's soul. Because if you can isolate someone's soul from its Invested Tone, it would probably be easier to isolate their soul from their body, which would just kill them. Which, maybe that is possible, but it's getting to the point where you're gonna need an outside power source to do that. (Also, Connection Manipulation is a Bondsmith thing - both Identity and Connection manipulation would essentially be making you a double Bondsmith of already a pretty high Oath, which might exceed point limits. Although it would be... interesting for Ishar to be able to just instakill someone.)

7 minutes ago, Ashbringer said:
  • Pseudo-immortality probably wouldn't do it. There's not really a time limit on the free-for-all, and agelessness immortality is pretty easy to get on its own (Siah Amian, Sleepless, Fused, etc). So waiting it out isn't that big of a problem.
  • In order to make anti-Investiture, Navani had to isolate the Investiture from its natural Tone. I don't know if that's something you can do with accessible levels of Identity or Connection manipulation, especially if you're targeting someone's soul. Because if you can isolate someone's soul from its Invested Tone, it would probably be easier to isolate their soul from their body, which would just kill them. Which, maybe that is possible, but it's getting to the point where you're gonna need an outside power source to do that. (Also, Connection Manipulation is a Bondsmith thing - both Identity and Connection manipulation would essentially be making you a double Bondsmith of already a pretty high Oath, which might exceed point limits. Although it would be... interesting for Ishar to be able to just instakill someone.)

I meant that it would prevent you from loosing long enough for you to cause everyone else to loose. It is a little bit of a stretch, and the least likely to work, but with the new challenger format it should be an easy button against several builds.
As for that, the natural tone I thought the NT was the cause of the connection. The Anti-tone is close enough for one to invert investiture, but not turn stormlight into anti-voidlight, or even stormlight into voidlight. Something extra is needed for that. That something extra should be able to bypass the tone requirement. Good idea about the seperation of soul, durilum + emotional allomancy to supress all but willingness, and riot the willingness, as well as tapping connection, should allow you to force someone to sacrifice themselves dakhor style.

2 minutes ago, IlstrawberrySeed said:

As for that, the natural tone I thought the NT was the cause of the connection. The Anti-tone is close enough for one to invert investiture, but not turn stormlight into anti-voidlight, or even stormlight into voidlight. Something extra is needed for that. That something extra should be able to bypass the tone requirement. Good idea about the seperation of soul, durilum + emotional allomancy to supress all but willingness, and riot the willingness, as well as tapping connection, should allow you to force someone to sacrifice themselves dakhor style.

What I mean is you need more than the anti-tone to invert Investiture. Investiture responds to its normal Tone, which seemingly is both everywhere and a direct generation of the Shards. Navani got around that by creating a vacuum, but that's not going to work on a battlefield, or on a person. You'd need to somehow isolate the Investiture of their soul from everything else in order to invert it to destroy itself, and from my understanding that's already ripping their soul off their body.

Emotional allomancy is not mind control, either. You can make it seem enticing, but you can't force them (unless they're a kandra or other Hemalurgic construct).

9 minutes ago, Ashbringer said:

Emotional allomancy is not mind control, either. You can make it seem enticing, but you can't force them (unless they're a kandra or other Hemalurgic construct).

True, but I thought it only took a willing target, not them to do anything. You can swage any doubts and make them willing. Could easily be wrong though, I only recently learned it's end positive.

• 2 months later...

Aetherbound to all 12: 288

Sand mastery: 298

Investiture compounder: 322

Elantrian: 522

5th oath skybreaker: 872

Stormform singer: 882

Soulcasting fabrial: 902

Larkin: 907

Spike for a-cadmium: 919

Primer cube*4: 939

Chayshan: 949

Aviar, death sight: 961

Spike for f-zinc: 973

4th heightening: 993

I can fly above the arena, possibly summon the everstorm solo using the near infinite investiture I drew from the dor into my metalminds, use said investiture to fuel aether and sand mastery in place of water and just send it in every direction, if someone breaks through that somehow, I have perfect lifesense, aethers, aon nae and a death sight aviar to alert me, as well as f-zinc to let me process the information faster, and chayshan giving me a measure of superhuman speed and strength to enhance my existing strength from stormform, as well as additional sensing, I can throw my cadmium grenades at the attackers and/or drain their investiture with the Larkin, if that fails I can soulcast them or objects near them into anything I want, if that still fails I can summon lightning, draw aons(daa, ehe, probably others), and use division, if they get really close I can stab them with my shardblade, they can't hit me through the shardplate, and I can draw aon tia to escape if they get too close. If I get desperate I can awaken things to help me

57 minutes ago, Aetherbound said:

Aetherbound to all 12: 288

Sand mastery: 298

Elantrian: 522

5th oath skybreaker: 872

Stormform singer: 882

Soulcasting fabrial: 902

Larkin: 907

Spike for a-cadmium: 919

Primer cube*4: 939

Chayshan: 949

Aviar, death sight: 961

Spike for f-zinc: 973

4th heightening: 993

I can fly above the arena, possibly summon the everstorm solo using the near infinite investiture I drew from the dor into my metalminds, use said investiture to fuel aether and sand mastery in place of water and just send it in every direction, if someone breaks through that somehow, I have perfect lifesense, aethers, aon nae and a death sight aviar to alert me, as well as f-zinc to let me process the information faster, and chayshan giving me a measure of superhuman speed and strength to enhance my existing strength from stormform, as well as additional sensing, I can throw my cadmium grenades at the attackers and/or drain their investiture with the Larkin, if that fails I can soulcast them or objects near them into anything I want, if that still fails I can summon lightning, draw aons(daa, ehe, probably others), and use division, if they get really close I can stab them with my shardblade, they can't hit me through the shardplate, and I can draw aon tia to escape if they get too close. If I get desperate I can awaken things to help me

I don’t think these add up correctly, being a 5th oath radiant alone is 850 points, I believe you only accounted for 350.

Also, how do you come by the “nearly infinite” dor?

4 minutes ago, Elsko said:

I don’t think these add up correctly, being a 5th oath radiant alone is 850 points, I believe you only accounted for 350.

Bondsmiths are 850, he calculated correctly for a Skybreaker.

1 hour ago, Aetherbound said:

possibly summon the everstorm solo using the near infinite investiture I drew from the dor into my metalminds,

In order for the Everstorm to be summoend by the Stormforms in WoR Odium had to move it right over top of them in the CR, and even then it probably still needed Odium to do some things behind the scenes.

Other than that it's a solid build.

Edited by Frustration

using the near infinite investiture I drew from the dor into my metalminds

For all we know right now, you don't store investiture in nicrosilminds, you store the ability to use investiture, like Allomancy, Feruchemy, Surgebinding. For now, everything points out that you can't store Dor, Stormlight or Breaths in nicrosilminds. 

Cool build with Aethers, and I like F-zinc! :D 

Ok, here's my take two (or actually three or four, but ignore that)

Spoiler

Returned - 0 + 5 = 5

Larkin 5 + 5 = 10

5th Oath Skybreaker 10 + 350 = 360

Midnight Aethorbound 360 + 12 = 372

Illumination Fused/Mavset-im 372 + 20 = 392

Dead Shardblade 392 + 12 = 404

Elantrian 404 + 200 = 604

Dakhor 604 + 40 = 644

Investiture Breaking 644 + 200 = 844

Bendalloy Misting 844 + 12 = 856

Bendalloy Ferring 856 + 12 = 868

Connection Medallion 868 + 12 = 880

Progression Fabrial 880 + 20 = 900

7th Heightening 900 + 100 = 1000

So, I'm a Returned, which already puts me to Fifth Heightening, but then I've got another 5000 breaths on top of that, which doesn't get me to Eighth, but does mean I have 2000 to work with. 

I'm also a 5th Oath Skybreaker, so I've got Gravitation and complete division, probably the two most powerful surges, aside from Bondsmith Adhesion. That means I have a Blade and Plate, and then I also have a dead blade that I can use without screaming because of the connection Medallion. And why would I need a dead blade? So I can have a near invincible shield and a shardblade.

Then I'm a Midnight Aethorbound, supported by bendalloy compounding. Then to hide my Aethorbound and provide decoys, I am also a Mavset-im, allowing me to make illusions. 

I am also an Elantrian, because Elantrians are overpowered. Then I am a Dakhor so I can Investiture break, which I think is probably underestimated.

Then I have a Progression Fabrial to heal myself with, which I will probably have on constantly underneath my plate, and a Larkin to round out the score.

So I can detect Ashbringer, use Illumination and Bendalloy to get time go use Aons for superspeed, probably faster than every other non Elantrian. Then I can fly around and send out Midnight Aethor creatures with illusions go make them hidden or look like me. If anyone comes close while I'm flying I Investiture break and they go splat. They might survive the splat, but I'll be basically unreachable. If I need to go down to finish people off, I can awake sand (seashells) or whatever the floor is made of as long as it's not stone or metal. I also will still have my shardplate and dead blade and invincible shield, so good luck getting close to me. The only things that worry me are dawnshards, and hopefully Aon Tia can remove them into space/the middle of a planet/a star.