Who would win, the Ultimate Cosmere free for all.

Frustration

I'm a kandra (5) with strength blessings, and mistborn (192) & feruchemy (192) abilities plus a primer cube charged with a pulse. I have a painrial fabrial (10) embedded under my skin to target opponents with as well as a soulcaster (20), and lift's boon (12) to power my abilities directly and see into the cognitive realm. I spend the rest of my points on shardplate (24), the ninth heightening (400) and a midnight aether (24) and I guess spend the rest on a spare 7 heightenings (100).

I set up dual time bubbles of a pulse and then within a speed bubble while tapping speed and burning pewter. I vomit out a midnight aether in the shape of a zombie velociraptor, soulcast to create a nuclear bomb with traces of aluminium in it and awaken to button to go off one second after the bubble goes, attach it to the midnight zombie raptor and tell it to run toward the enemy, and then I run in the opposite direction as quickly as possible using combinations of a-pewter, strength blessing, stored speed, and whatever buff I get from shardplate and heightenings while using speed bubbles intermittently so that I can get max distance from epicentre of blast, have max endurance and healing to deal with whatever I get hit with, and avoid getting attacked until enemies are hit by the nuke. 

2 minutes ago, lacrossedeamon said:

We don't really know how Fortune works but Khriss does think it can be used to manipulate luck

We do know, because of two simple things.

1. Is that luck does not exist. The law of causality forbids it.

2. The following WoBs

Spoiler

Xyrd (paraphrased)

You've mentioned before that Hoid ends up where he needs to be.

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

Yes, and usually without knowing why.

Xyrd (paraphrased)

Is chromium involved in that?

Yes. Well, he's not necessarily using chromium, but the underlying mechanic, yes.

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/32/#e2567

alercah

Do regular people in the cosmere have an innate, subconscious ability to read the Spiritual Realm just a little bit, that might manifest as gut instinct or intuition?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes, in the cosmere, there is some validity to "gut" instincts in some people with a closer connection to the Spiritual.

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/456/#e14679

Questioner

So, in Allomancy, most of the metals are in pairs, they're equal and opposite, pushing and pulling, Rioting, Soothing, that kind of thing. The god metals have always-- lerasium and atium, have always struck me as kind of unbalanced in a way. Like, lerasium gives you the power to use all these metals, plus atium being one of them. Is there a reason for that?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes, there is, and it kinda has to do with Snapping and some of the fundamental rules of the Mistborn world and the fact that people have Preservation and Ruin inside of them and all these sorts of things. So, the answer is yes.

Partially, narratively, I built that in partially just 'cause I wanted atium to seem odd in the placement, right, when people got to it it's like "What? Why is this one-- This one doesn't match the others. This doesn't really work." When I was building Mistborn, one of the big things I wanted was this idea of a periodic table that was, kind of a flawed construct, that, as you read the books, you came to understand better and better. And that was something I executed-- I don't think I executed that 100% right, but I'm pleased with the general concept and how it plays out. And so I wanted atium to stick out like a sore thumb.

The other thing is, I knew I needed some good foreshadowing for Fortune, for people being able to kinda see the future or versions of the future, for the whole cosmere to work. And, so, I built in atium specifically to do those things. And I built in lerasium to have, kind of, the ultimate sort of benevolent endowment sort of thing. (Not Endowment the Shard, you know what I mean.) But I also wanted to show these two magics were intrinsically tied together on Scadrial because the way that humankind was created. We're getting into some deep stuff, I'll just leave it there. But that was what was going through my mind as I was building those things all out. 

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/176/#e8481

5 minutes ago, Frustration said:

We do know, because of two simple things.

1. Is that luck does not exist. The law of causality forbids it.

2. The following WoBs

Hide contents

Xyrd (paraphrased)

You've mentioned before that Hoid ends up where he needs to be.

Yes, and usually without knowing why.

Xyrd (paraphrased)

Is chromium involved in that?

Yes. Well, he's not necessarily using chromium, but the underlying mechanic, yes.

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/32/#e2567

alercah

Do regular people in the cosmere have an innate, subconscious ability to read the Spiritual Realm just a little bit, that might manifest as gut instinct or intuition?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes, in the cosmere, there is some validity to "gut" instincts in some people with a closer connection to the Spiritual.

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/456/#e14679

Questioner

So, in Allomancy, most of the metals are in pairs, they're equal and opposite, pushing and pulling, Rioting, Soothing, that kind of thing. The god metals have always-- lerasium and atium, have always struck me as kind of unbalanced in a way. Like, lerasium gives you the power to use all these metals, plus atium being one of them. Is there a reason for that?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes, there is, and it kinda has to do with Snapping and some of the fundamental rules of the Mistborn world and the fact that people have Preservation and Ruin inside of them and all these sorts of things. So, the answer is yes.

Partially, narratively, I built that in partially just 'cause I wanted atium to seem odd in the placement, right, when people got to it it's like "What? Why is this one-- This one doesn't match the others. This doesn't really work." When I was building Mistborn, one of the big things I wanted was this idea of a periodic table that was, kind of a flawed construct, that, as you read the books, you came to understand better and better. And that was something I executed-- I don't think I executed that 100% right, but I'm pleased with the general concept and how it plays out. And so I wanted atium to stick out like a sore thumb.

The other thing is, I knew I needed some good foreshadowing for Fortune, for people being able to kinda see the future or versions of the future, for the whole cosmere to work. And, so, I built in atium specifically to do those things. And I built in lerasium to have, kind of, the ultimate sort of benevolent endowment sort of thing. (Not Endowment the Shard, you know what I mean.) But I also wanted to show these two magics were intrinsically tied together on Scadrial because the way that humankind was created. We're getting into some deep stuff, I'll just leave it there. But that was what was going through my mind as I was building those things all out. 

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/176/#e8481

None of those WOBs contradict my statement; just because Fortune can work in one specific way doesn't mean it can't also work in another way.

Pretty sure once you introduce a spiritual realm (which Fortune dabbles with) where everything exists all at once causality becomes a bit looser (which Brandon himself has acknowledged)

59 minutes ago, Ashbringer said:

We're also presumably all at the same skill level. Anyone with the same powers as someone else is as good as someone else. So while Chromium Compounding can be a powerful asset, every Fullborn can also do it.

Sure but I was the first one to think of it and as Hoid said timeliness is the most valued attribute (I could also add 2 Dawnshards and still have 38 points left over)

Edited by lacrossedeamon

6 hours ago, lacrossedeamon said:

Sure but I was the first one to think of it and as Hoid said timeliness is the most valued attribute (I could also add 2 Dawnshards and still have 38 points left over)

Kinda like I was the first one to think of grabbing a Nightblood variant.  Nightblood can't be seen by Fotune, so it stands to reason mine can't either.  My Nightblood eats your Fortune.  

And for my (1000 point) boon… I win this competition. Bane: I lose the trophy recognizing said accomplishment.

4 minutes ago, Tglassy said:

Kinda like I was the first one to think of grabbing a Nightblood variant.  Nightblood can't be seen by Fotune, so it stands to reason mine can't either.  My Nightblood eats your Fortune.  

I’m not using Fortune to divine the future though, just manipulate my own luck. And it’d be really lucky for me if you forgot to bring it with you on the day of the competition.

Just now, lacrossedeamon said:

And for my (1000 point) boon… I win this competition. Bane: I lose the trophy recognizing said accomplishment.

I’m not using Fortune to divine the future though, just manipulate my own luck. And it’d be really lucky for me if you forgot to bring it with you on the day of the competition.

I'm pretty sure that's not how that would work.  The sword would be outside your ability to affect.  Even a Shard who was able to see a million times further than Terevangian on his best day couldn't see where it was or manipulate factors to make sure it wasn't anywhere near him.  Some things just can't be affected by Fortune.  

And while I like the concept, I'm pretty sure that's not how Chromium works, anyway.  It feels a lot more likely that "Fortune" is a misnomer.  It's a coloquialism for what the people THINK is happening.   

When gaining Fortune, things seem to work out for a person.  They step in the right place, say the right thing, and coincidence seems to happen a lot.  Oh, look, I'm at the store right when there's a sale on apples, and I was just thinking how I really wanted apples.  That kind of thing. 

But I think what is happening has nothing to do with "Fortune".  It has to do with being able to tap the Spiritual Realm, where all things are happening at once.  Your subconscious, the part of you that is touching the Spiritual Realm, knows that there's going to be a sale on apples, so it makes sure you are there when it happens.  It looks for all intents and purposes that you had "good luck" getting to the store during the sale.  But all it did was move you to where you could get cheap apples.  It didn't create the sale itself.  You tapping Fortune wouldn't reach out into the Cosemere and convince the apple salesman to put apples on sale.  

But there are things Fortune cannot see, like Renarin and Nightblood.  No, we don't know why Nightblood is the way he is, but as I've said, with the powers of a 3rd lvl Bondsmith mixed with the 9th Heightening's instinctive Awakening, I'm sure I can figure out a means of doing it without it killing me. It is not out of the realm of possibility.  

So my Nightblood Variant, let's call it Dusklight, is invisible to your Fortune effects, and so your ability to know what to do and when won't account for it. 

6 minutes ago, Tglassy said:

I'm pretty sure that's not how that would work.  The sword would be outside your ability to affect.  Even a Shard who was able to see a million times further than Terevangian on his best day couldn't see where it was or manipulate factors to make sure it wasn't anywhere near him.  Some things just can't be affected by Fortune.  

And while I like the concept, I'm pretty sure that's not how Chromium works, anyway.  It feels a lot more likely that "Fortune" is a misnomer.  It's a coloquialism for what the people THINK is happening.   

When gaining Fortune, things seem to work out for a person.  They step in the right place, say the right thing, and coincidence seems to happen a lot.  Oh, look, I'm at the store right when there's a sale on apples, and I was just thinking how I really wanted apples.  That kind of thing. 

But I think what is happening has nothing to do with "Fortune".  It has to do with being able to tap the Spiritual Realm, where all things are happening at once.  Your subconscious, the part of you that is touching the Spiritual Realm, knows that there's going to be a sale on apples, so it makes sure you are there when it happens.  It looks for all intents and purposes that you had "good luck" getting to the store during the sale.  But all it did was move you to where you could get cheap apples.  It didn't create the sale itself.  You tapping Fortune wouldn't reach out into the Cosemere and convince the apple salesman to put apples on sale.  

But there are things Fortune cannot see, like Renarin and Nightblood.  No, we don't know why Nightblood is the way he is, but as I've said, with the powers of a 3rd lvl Bondsmith mixed with the 9th Heightening's instinctive Awakening, I'm sure I can figure out a means of doing it without it killing me. It is not out of the realm of possibility.  

So my Nightblood Variant, let's call it Dusklight, is invisible to your Fortune effects, and so your ability to know what to do and when won't account for it. 

Then default to my first statement. But also counterpoint: Rayse had trouble seeing it but Cultivation seemed to be able to account for it with her future sight stuff.

7 hours ago, lacrossedeamon said:

None of those WOBs contradict my statement; just because Fortune can work in one specific way doesn't mean it can't also work in another way.

You mean aside from the ones that says Hoid knowing where he needs to be used the same principles, which directly disputes that it is luck.

27 minutes ago, Frustration said:

You mean aside from the ones that says Hoid knowing where he needs to be used the same principles, which directly disputes that it is luck.

He’s not using chromium but the underlying principle, assumedly Fortune. But just because Hoid uses it that way (which is also suspect given Brandon stating Hoid “doesn’t know why”) doesn’t mean it can only be used in that one specific way.

27 minutes ago, lacrossedeamon said:

He’s not using chromium but the underlying principle, assumedly Fortune. But just because Hoid uses it that way (which is also suspect given Brandon stating Hoid “doesn’t know why”) doesn’t mean it can only be used in that one specific way.

What does knowing where you need to be, and manipulating billions of atoms in order to make things favor you more have in common?

As an aside feruchemy requires you to store something you have inately. And as luck does not exist you cannot store it.

Even if you wanted to argue mumbo jumbo spiritual stuff, that still has the problem of what it would manipulate, and how on earth it would decide to do it.

If a frag grenade went off and a piece of shrapnel was going directly towards you, what mechanic would be like "You know, that would be rather unlucky if it hit him, I should push that fragment off to the left so that it doesn''t" and where on earth would that force come from?

9 hours ago, lacrossedeamon said:

Chromium compound (24 points) enough Fortune that y'all all die in increasingly implausible ways leaving me the winner by default

2 hours ago, lacrossedeamon said:

Feruchemical chromium doesn't work like this. Like everything feruchemy does, you can only manipulate your own fortune (gut instinct), and it's not luck. You can't manipulate someone else’s fortune to make him forget his sword. It's not your fortune. And F-chromium won't kill anyone, as it's not your fortune...

2 hours ago, Tglassy said:

Wasn't Nightblood invisible to Odium's future vision because it was close to Renarin's sphere of influence? Future vision nullifies someone else's future vision, so every Returned, feruchemist, or chromium compounder would be immune and invisible to another chromium compounder. And most people here are Fullborn soo...

13 hours ago, Proletariat said:

I'm a kandra (5) with strength blessings, and mistborn (192) & feruchemy (192) abilities plus a primer cube charged with a pulse. I have a painrial fabrial (10) embedded under my skin to target opponents with as well as a soulcaster (20), and lift's boon (12) to power my abilities directly and see into the cognitive realm. I spend the rest of my points on shardplate (24), the ninth heightening (400) and a midnight aether (24) and I guess spend the rest on a spare 7 heightenings (100).

I set up dual time bubbles of a pulse and then within a speed bubble while tapping speed and burning pewter. I vomit out a midnight aether in the shape of a zombie velociraptor, soulcast to create a nuclear bomb with traces of aluminium in it and awaken to button to go off one second after the bubble goes, attach it to the midnight zombie raptor and tell it to run toward the enemy, and then I run in the opposite direction as quickly as possible using combinations of a-pewter, strength blessing, stored speed, and whatever buff I get from shardplate and heightenings while using speed bubbles intermittently so that I can get max distance from epicentre of blast, have max endurance and healing to deal with whatever I get hit with, and avoid getting attacked until enemies are hit by the nuke. 

Nice idea, but I'm in CR and after you create the bomb and send it on a raptor, I soulcast away all your steelminds into hydrogen, oxygen and a spark (boom in your body), so you get trapped in the fireball blast radius, and then I just watch the explosion from CR and kill all who survive it.

Edited by alder24

25 minutes ago, Frustration said:

What does knowing where you need to be, and manipulating billions of atoms in order to make things favor you more have in common?

As an aside feruchemy requires you to store something you have inately. And as luck does not exist you cannot store it.

Even if you wanted to argue mumbo jumbo spiritual stuff, that still has the problem of what it would manipulate, and how on earth it would decide to do it.

If a frag grenade went off and a piece of shrapnel was going directly towards you, what mechanic would be like "You know, that would be rather unlucky if it hit him, I should push that fragment off to the left so that it doesn''t" and where on earth would that force come from?

If Destiny is something that can be stolen then Luck can most likely be stored.

As for your frag grenade question my guess would be probability amplitude or other quantum related shenanigans.

23 minutes ago, alder24 said:

Feruchemical chromium doesn't work like this. Like everything feruchemy does, you can only manipulate your own fortune (gut instinct), and it's not luck. You can't manipulate someone else’s fortune to make him forget his sword. It's not your fortune. And F-chromium won't kill anyone, as it's not your fortune...

Nothing cited has overridden the Feruchemy chart (which I realize is in universe and susceptible to unreliable narrator but still needs a convincing enough argument to disregard). But anyways I’m not actually using compounded to kill anyone; I’m using it (backed by two Dawnshards) to win the competition. The hows of my Fortune achieving that are immaterial to me; it Final Destinationing everyone is just flavor text. Same argument for a 1000 point boon to win the competition.

4 minutes ago, lacrossedeamon said:

It says might, I lean towards that being Fortune as well.

6 minutes ago, lacrossedeamon said:

As for your frag grenade question my guess would be probability amplitude or other quantum related shenanigans.

For something on the quantum level to affect the macro level, anything other than a litteral ton of Chromium full to the brim with attribute would have no effect.

4 minutes ago, Frustration said:

For something on the quantum level to affect the macro level, anything other than a litteral ton of Chromium full to the brim with attribute would have no effect.

So like chromium compounding backed by 2 dawnshards (which still leaves me 30+ points to spare) or backed by a 976 point Boon?

25 minutes ago, lacrossedeamon said:

So like chromium compounding backed by 2 dawnshards (which still leaves me 30+ points to spare) or backed by a 976 point Boon?

No that wouldn't be close to enough.

filling a ring(roughly 70 grams) takes weeks(WoA 484).

a ton of chromium would be around 907184.7 grams, and would take roughly 872 years to fill.

Even with compounding and Dawnshards it would take at least 100 years for you to get enough to be able to deflect a single projectile under that model.

45 minutes ago, lacrossedeamon said:

Nothing cited has overridden the Feruchemy chart (which I realize is in universe and susceptible to unreliable narrator but still needs a convincing enough argument to disregard).

How about this?

Spoiler

Questioner

In the Mistborn books, there's no one who can do chromium Feruchemy. If there was someone who had both the Feruchemy and the Allomancy related to chromium, they could create infinite luck. So doesn't that mean they could just do whatever they wanted?

Brandon Sanderson

Well, we will deal with how exactly Fortune works in the cosmere at a later date. There's a reason I haven't shown somebody with it yet, because I'm saving that for later on. Let's just say that even the Terris people don't quite understand it, even during Era 2.

Arcanum Unbounded release party (Nov. 22, 2016)

Edited by Frustration

31 minutes ago, lacrossedeamon said:

Nothing cited has overridden the Feruchemy chart (which I realize is in universe and susceptible to unreliable narrator but still needs a convincing enough argument to disregard). But anyways I’m not actually using compounded to kill anyone; I’m using it (backed by two Dawnshards) to win the competition. The hows of my Fortune achieving that are immaterial to me; it Final Destinationing everyone is just flavor text. Same argument for a 1000 point boon to win the competition.

The BASICS of Feruchemy prevents you from doing what you want to achieve. With feruchemy you can only manipulate your own Fortune, you can't influence someone else's fortune. That's it. You won't make people forget their sword, or die in "unlucky" way, or anything like this. Your own Fortune only affects you, and nobody else. And if Dawnshards only "supercharge" a surge, then you would still only supercharge your own Fortune, and nobody else's. The "hows" here are very important. 

4 minutes ago, Frustration said:

a ton of chromium would be around 907184.7 grams

I was very confused here for a long moment, and was ready to write an angry explanation, before I realized that imperial units also use ton as a mass unit. 

27 minutes ago, Frustration said:

A ton of chromium would be around 907184.7 grams, and would take roughly 872 years to fill.

I mean I have two Dawnshards, time is on my side. Not sure where you are getting the equation of mass of metal to how much an attribute can be stored in it though.

29 minutes ago, Frustration said:

How about this?

Reveal hidden contents

Questioner

In the Mistborn books, there's no one who can do chromium Feruchemy. If there was someone who had both the Feruchemy and the Allomancy related to chromium, they could create infinite luck. So doesn't that mean they could just do whatever they wanted?

Brandon Sanderson

Well, we will deal with how exactly Fortune works in the cosmere at a later date. There's a reason I haven't shown somebody with it yet, because I'm saving that for later on. Let's just say that even the Terris people don't quite understand it, even during Era 2.

Arcanum Unbounded release party (Nov. 22, 2016)

No. That doesn’t contradict that it wouldn’t generate infinite luck, it’s basically just a RAFO with more wording.

6 minutes ago, alder24 said:

The BASICS of Feruchemy prevents you from doing what you want to achieve. With feruchemy you can only manipulate your own Fortune, you can't influence someone else's fortune. That's it. You won't make people forget their sword, or die in "unlucky" way, or anything like this. Your own Fortune only affects you, and nobody else. And if Dawnshards only "supercharge" a surge, then you would still only supercharge your own Fortune, and nobody else's. The "hows" here are very important. 

I’m not influencing anyone else’s fortune. I am only influencing my Fortune to be higher than all my opponents by a great enough margin that I win the competition.

4 minutes ago, lacrossedeamon said:

I’m not influencing anyone else’s fortune. I am only influencing my Fortune to be higher than all my opponents by a great enough margin that I win the competition.

Renarin's future vision is  much weaker than Odium's and yet he manages to blind him which led to his demise. Taravangian was able to create a plan to become a god without fortune, and it worked against a god with future sight. Zane's future vision didn't save him from Vin's deadly blow. Ruin's future sight was better than Kel's from Preservation, yet Ati was defeated. Just because you've got greater Fortune than everybody else doesn't mean you just win. You still can be overpowered. But as long as you finally understand that you can't make people forget their swords, or drop dead on spot (you said it), it's ok for me.

Spoiler

Questioner

So the scene at the end of Oathbringer, when Odium is confronting Taravangian and he uses futuresight to expand upon the Diagram, we have this blacked out section with Renarin's name linked to it.

Brandon Sanderson

Yes.

Questioner

Is that because Renarin's abilities interfere with Odium's futuresight similar to how electrum interferes with atium?

Brandon Sanderson

Any time that someone else is seeing the future in the cosmere, it's going to have ripples against your ability. Like they are-- you can't-- It's the same sort of thing that if-- someone who has access to atium is going to mess up anyone else's futuresight in any way, because once you use that it's going to cause you to act differently, which then-- And remember futuresight is not very good in the cosmere anyway. But yeah, it's just gonna mess things up.

Skyward Seattle signing (Nov. 10, 2018)

9 minutes ago, alder24 said:

Renarin's future vision is  much weaker than Odium's and yet he manages to blind him which led to his demise. Taravangian was able to create a plan to become a god without fortune, and it worked against a god with future sight. Zane's future vision didn't save him from Vin's deadly blow. Ruin's future sight was better than Kel's from Preservation, yet Ati was defeated.

Taravangian was the tool of a Shard better at manipulating than Odium. Same with Kel, Vin, Zane, with Preservation and Ruin. 

9 minutes ago, alder24 said:

But as long as you finally understand that you can't make people forget their swords, or drop dead on spot (you said it), it's ok for me.

I said as much three posts ago but as long as you finally caught up, it’s ok for me.

Actually since Investiture is finite then Fortune is as well. Whether practically feasible it is theoretically possible to manipulate someone else’s by accumulating enough for yourself.

Edited by lacrossedeamon