Long Game 30: Journey Before Destination

Amanuensis

Sareth caught the scent of smoke faintly over the overwhelming stench of beer. It was not wood smoke. He immediately perked up and scanned the room. There, by the fire. Ralaani had set her coat too close, and it had caught fire! Sareth dashed from his chair while the drunken men looked on and threw to the coat to the floor. He quickly smothered it with his feet. He bent over and picked it up. The coat was fine, perhaps charred on the back, but still wearable. He began to hand it back to Ralaani, but saw the state of her clothing. He paused, eyes narrowing. Then he draped the cloak back over Ralaani's hunched form and walked back to his table. He sat down and took another glance at the sleeping figure. He had not moved at all. Sareth sighed and took another sip from his glass.

Edited by Hemalurgic_Headshot
misspelling

19 minutes ago, Amanuensis said:

If an unbonded Unjust kills a player, they will lose one Honor, so it delays their bonding in the sense that they have less honor to spend on getting it.

Thanks, that doesn't sound like quite enough incentive to be why they haven't been killing, but it's possible.

I forgot I hadn't yet, so I'm adding my vote to execute quiver.  There doesn't seem to be any particular reason not to at this point, and it won't give us a bunch of information, but maybe we'll be lucky and he'll have been an Unjust. That leads me to the following vote tally:

Interrogate:

Alvron (3): Arinian, HH, Lopen
Drake (2): Jondesu, Rae
DA (1): Randuir
Lopen (1): Mage
Anarchist (0): Drake
Rae (1): Drake

Execute:

Quiver (9): Alvron, HH, Mage, Assassin, Rae, Arinian, Lopen, Randuir, Jondesu

We're one short on the vote to execute Quiver, so anyone that hasn't voted yet but intends to, please do.  Otherwise, we'll leave him in jail to either sit and wait or be taken out by the Elims.  Honestly, those options also might give us info, but I still don't see any reason not to just execute him ourselves this round.

As for the interrogation vote, I don't really want to bandwagon on Alv, and I haven't seen anything that I felt was incentive to do so, so I'm going to leave my vote where it is.  There's a lot of players who haven't voted, though, so we're going to be lacking in information a bit.

Kintas tossed back his third lager of the night as he eyed the group around him.  There were both Initiates and plenty of others joining in the fun, and some looking like they weren't having fun at all.  Two men sat at a table, one gripping the other's wrist, locked in a very serious-looking conversation (was that the blind Initiate? Kintas decided he was sure it was), while others looked about ready to fight.  Having seen enough fighting for one day, Kintas prepared to head out quietly, and thought of his opportunity to probe Ranatar's brain for the secrets of the Stormwardens.  He pushed aside the desire, though, and instead decided to make his way to one of the balconies overlooking the mountains and simply spend some time stargazing.  He'd always wanted to get another angle of the Red Rip, or as they called it here, Taln's Scar.

Edited by Jondesu
Added RP

On 2/18/2017 at 7:40 PM, Arinian said:

I meant trust not in this game but trust to person at all.

If you want I can delete you from list of people whom I can trust and put you on list of people whom I will kill when I get kill role... I think there still some place between Lopen and Alv, it suits you?;)(Joe don't worry, you on the first place whom I will kill when I will get kill ability(joke)) 

RP:short and horrible RP

Reveal hidden contents

I stood on the balcony sipping wine, chill wind blew from the west slightly rippling curtains. Down near the Oathgate crowd swarmed. Water dripped from their dirty, bloody clothes. I grinned to my thoughts “What a lucky I am”.

Yet there was no time for the rest, I escaped but all my seals and dagger-sword still was in hands of this annoying squires. And I needed to get into my room but there was small problem, all time surveillance over my room.

I turned and left room from where I watched return of other initiates. So many things to do, so little time.

Thank you, but I'll pass on that offer. :P 

On 2/19/2017 at 2:37 PM, Hemalurgic_Headshot said:

So in other ways... Alvron. You missed being imprisoned by one vote last cycle, and you haven't been giving of the most "innocent" vibes as of late. Of course, I might be wrong, especially after my self-confidence has wavered, seeing that many players from the AG (no spoilers from the spectator doc) I suspected turned out to be Villagers. Really, I'm not sure what to do concerning everything, since hard evidence we have is minimal, and if we go through with trying to lynch Arin again and he turns out to be good, then that flips a lot of things on their heads. But Alv, Alv is a suspicion I've had for a while. Frankly, I just want to pry apart all of his deep, cryptic thought processes and comfort myself in knowledge of the unknown.

Ha. I wish you luck with that. :P Not that luck will make a difference. 

22 hours ago, Ecthelion III said:

Sorry guys, I haven't been nearly as active as I should. Aman's writeup is storming long and I still need to catch up on some of the amazing RP.

Honestly, this post strikes me as really suspicious. Right after Alv suggests lynching inactives, Ecth gets on and doesn't say anything game relevant but enough to escape the lynch? That feels evil to me. 

As for the rest of the cycle... I'm unsure about the whole revealing of what spren have been bonded and how much it takes to bond a Dustrbinger and such, though it's too late for that now. I don't necessarily think that telling the evil team more that they might not know is wise at this point, but cna't really stop th at. 

For the moment, I will place my vote on Drake as well. In my last post, I very nearly commented before deciding not to bother that something he'd said was nice but that he was giving strategies freely to the elims. I'm not particularly fond of that. I'd switch to Ecth potentially, though. 

RP will come, but as it'll take a while I might as well post this now. 

Ralaanar dreamed.

He was six again, back in Kelathar. He clumsily swung a wooden sword at a man, who parried it easily. Father. Ralaanar swung the sword again and giggled. Father said something approving and Ralaanar giggled again.

Tears streamed down Ralaanar's cheeks as he faced his pet axehound, Blackthorn. "I can't," he said.

"You must," Father said.

"I can't," Ralaanar repeated. "He's my friend."

"Do it," Father said. His voice was harder this time.

Ralaanar shut his eyes and raised the knife. Maybe it would be easier if he couldn't see Blackthorn -- if he couldn't see his pet axehound that he'd had for years and years and years -- so he wouldn't have to face the guilt of killing Blackthorn --

"No," Ralaanar said. "I, um, I won't."

Father backhanded Ralaanar, who flew backwards, onto the grass. For some reason, the grass didn't retreat. Instead, it grew around Ralaanar and formed a protective cocoon. Somehow, though, this cocoon felt warm. Almost a bit hot, like there was a small fire outside of it.

Ralaanar shifted as Sareth placed the cloak over him. He grunted, then went back to sleep.

Here we come to the end of your basic instruction in Soulbinding’s Light powers. At this point, you should become acquainted with the physical components involved in Soulbinding. Apart from specific focuses for the eight powers and the ring which binds you five to me, there are others. These include the ten enclosed weapon coins. Use them well.

Fifth stumbled into the bar, his weapon bag one coin lighter. He suspected either Sareth or Rea had taken the dagger. Whoever it was, they had just made his job in Urithiru a whole lot easier.

If it was Sareth, there wouldn’t be a problem. If it was Rea, on the other hand…

He dreaded that possibility.

Nonetheless, there was another thing Fifth could do to further his master’s cause. He sat down at a table, pulled a handful of coins from his focus bag, and called out, “Anyone up for a game?”

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

@Elbereth I don't really have anything in my defense in that respect. It's just unfortunate timing. I posted that disclaimer before having read through any posts, including Alvron's post in question, and I had to unexpectedly leave soon after (hence the actual lack of content). So, sorry, I guess?

2 hours ago, Jondesu said:

We're one short on the vote to execute Quiver, so anyone that hasn't voted yet but intends to, please do.  Otherwise, we'll leave him in jail to either sit and wait or be taken out by the Elims.  Honestly, those options also might give us info, but I still don't see any reason not to just execute him ourselves this round.

Hm... I don't really see a reason to execute quiver to be honest. It'd be nice if quiver turned out to be an elim I guess, but I sorta doubt they are an elim, and we don't really get much info off that lynch either way. So I'm not going to add my vote to make it 10. Quiver can sit tight in jail for now, unless a vote manip changes things which is very possible.

Also, El, I'm fine with you voting on me, but to be honest you coulda found better reasons. I mean, if you don't like me freely giving strategies to the elims, doesn't that already imply that I'm town, otherwise I'd give the strategies in the elim doc? Jondesu's conjecture that I'm giving throwaway ideas from the elim doc is actually logical. Yours doesn't make much sense to me.

And, on that topic, you've tied up the vote. I personally don't much like the idea of wasting one of our lynches with a tie. So I can choose between myself and Alv getting voted up. I'm less certain of Alv's innocence then my own (obviously), so I'll be switching my vote from Rae to Alvron. Sorry Alv. I don't really hardly suspect Alv atm, but, like I said, I suspect myself even less.

Also, I'd kinda appreciate if everyone else gave their opinions on this whole me/Rae argument. I've been accusing Rae for a while and now Rae wants to accuse me back. It's taken up a lot of the discussion over the cycles. So people should weigh in on the issue in the event that one of us turns out to be elim, no? It gives the town information.

Also, if all y'alls basically think I'm just being crazy accusing Rae, maybe I'll back off.

Also, Doc, if you want, we can continue our RP discussion next cycle?

3 minutes ago, Drake Marshall said:

And, on that topic, you've tied up the vote. I personally don't much like the idea of wasting one of our lynches with a tie. So I can choose between myself and Alv getting voted up. I'm less certain of Alv's innocence then my own (obviously), so I'll be switching my vote from Rae to Alvron. Sorry Alv. I don't really hardly suspect Alv atm, but, like I said, I suspect myself even less.

That's alright Drake.  I fully expected to be jailed today.  And I'm sorry too for I know I'm innocent but I'm not as convinced you are, so Drake.

Sorry for not posting, and for posting out of RP, but I'm too darn tired to work a vote into my RP. ALVRON

Jonly walked through the stone hallways, musing on the nature of the initiates. As a whole, they were surprisingly corrupt. Each one was a monster in the making, or had been a monster in their past. Each one sought to become a saviour instead. Some of them rivaled even his own monstrosity, and that was not a feat easily done. But still, there were initiates that he believed needn't become monsters. Ralaani, for instance. Or Kintas. They just might be able to do great things without needing the darkness.

Like the Lord Bondsmith

Dalinar was becoming more and more the subject of Jonly's thoughts. The man had been a vicious destroyer, but was now far more effective as a defender. He unified with words, where once he had split with swords. Was the man a monster or not? Was he, in fact, better, now that he was no longer a monster?

As Jonly turned a corner, a welcome distraction, in the form of a yet unmet Initiate, presented herself. The woman stood trembling, staring at the stone wall beside her, teeth gritted. Jonly knew the pose well. She had lost control, and had not yet regained it. What had she done to put herself in such a position?

"Tintall? I believe your name was?" It wasn't, he was certain, but getting a person's name correct on the first meeting meant you were watching them. Though, in this case, he actually wasn't watching the woman. 

"Tintallë," she corrected without voice. She continued to focus on the wall

He raised an eyebrow. She was gone. But he could bring her back. He stepped forward, smoothly bending down, grasping her wrist, and bringing her hand up to his mouth. He placed a light kiss on the fingers, then stood, smiling. The smile iced over, as he saw the look in her eyes, of utter horror. What?

1 hour ago, Drake Marshall said:

Also, El, I'm fine with you voting on me, but to be honest you coulda found better reasons. I mean, if you don't like me freely giving strategies to the elims, doesn't that already imply that I'm town, otherwise I'd give the strategies in the elim doc? Jondesu's conjecture that I'm giving throwaway ideas from the elim doc is actually logical. Yours doesn't make much sense to me.

Ah, sorry, I didn't quite make myself clear. I was adding to Jondesu's vote - given that I've noticed before when you said things that were elim strategies enough that I nearly told you not to give stuff to the elims for free, I think his point holds merit, and makes me more suspicious of you than of Alv. 

Tintallë tried to walk on past Fifth, but her head was still reeling. She stopped, focusing on the wall beside her. It was just another bit of grey stone, here, undecorated and blank and still. She focused on it, blocking out all noise and distractions, imagining that she was stone.

She heard someone approaching, but didn't bother to turn. "Tintall, I believe your name was?" she heard.

"Tintallë," she corrected absently, not bothering to turn and look at the person addressing her, focusing on the wall. Breathing. Not fainting, preferably.

She saw movement out of the corner of her eye. He kissed her hand, and she fell. 

Not in a romantic way. 

Jonly was... he was... oh, gods, Almighty above. If Tintallë could've closed her eyes in this not-quite-world, she would have.

His soul was dark. That was the first thing. And not clean, sacred night. This was a darkness of eyes watching from the shadows, waiting for its prey to come nearer. This was a hard darkness, of blood and death and doing what was necessary rather than what was right. And... hatred. There was more hatred in his soul than Tintallë had known was possible. Almighty... And the darkness and the hatred mixed in horrible splendor. 

He hated everyone and everything, she saw, but there were a few images that stood out, though they made the darkness no less pervading, somehow. The image of a man with silver skin. A mysterious figure that nevertheless she somehow recognized, though she couldn't place from where. A woman, standing by a shining pool, glimmering brightly. And... a man in pack furs, standing near the woman from the third image. Jonly. 

She caught a glimpse, then, of what he had been: an honorable man, of ideals and wonder, who worshipped his goddess because he truly believed she deserved it, so much that he gave her the greatest gift in his world. 

And Tintallë saw when the woman cast him aside, and betrayed him, and left him for dead, and she wept at what his soul had become. 

A single word was written in blood in the darkness. Not dripping or messy or any such thing. Simple and elegant and horrifying.

Monster

ugusq3tRowxguP3nKuR3dVvemZh8fzPgvwEnSPGq

With a frown, Naihar downed his fourth mug of ale. As hard as he tried to ignore the rumors spinning about him, he could hear nothing but the accusations, now.

At first the rumors began as a quiet rumble, easily overpowered by the minstrel, dressed all in black, who sang as he plucked away at the strings of his lyre. Something about the man seemed familiar, but each time Naihar glanced at his face, the Initiate’s vision blurred a little. He was tired, but certainly not that tired, and in his long-lived life, Naihar had drank at many establishments like this one. Unless that Herdazian barmaid was spiking his ale with something stronger, he shouldn’t even be tipsy, now…

Naihar hiccuped. He could barely even hear the music now, only the voices, repeating his name. Slandering it. Had they moved closer? Or were they speaking louder, their throats lubricated with strong ale and their confidence bolstered by newfound allies?

“I didn’t see Naihar either. Not since the flood hit. Not until we reached the Oathgate, and were all ready to leave.”

“I was the first up the Spire, and Petrik was the last. The man was nowhere between us. Sareth! You were right there with me. Do you remember seeing Naihar when the Voidbringer’s surrounded us on the plateau?”

“Truth be told…” the Shin inhaled deeply, then sighed. “No, I don’t.”

So that’s why they’re suspicious. It wasn’t his fault that he got separated from the others, chased into a dead end by a pair of Voidbringers. Sure, it wasn’t easy killing them cornered, nor was it scaling the chasm walls with the vines he retrieved during his descent, but it also wasn’t anything to brag home about. Throughout his lifetime, he had accomplished plenty more amazing feats.

Well, if they really had to wonder that much about it, then Naihar would leave them to it, wrapping the mystery around him like a cloak. Besides, when was the last time a shadow ever hurt anybody, anyway? Several centuries at least, he thought as he clutched the skin of the Midnight Essence closer.

Behind him, the legs of a wooden chair scuffed stone. A moment later a hand touched Naihar’s shoulder. The Initiate did not bother to turn.

“Finally decided you were man enough to talk about me to my face, rather than behind my back?”

“Actually, I just came to share a drink, if that’s alright.”

It was a different voice speaking. Perfect in pitch. Besides the minstrell, Naihar only knew one man who spoke that way.

Kintas.

He would have preferred Kali, but this man’s company would do.

“Sure, friend. What are you having?”

“I wanted to try a Horneater’s brew, but it seems they don’t serve that here, so I’ve just been sipping at this blue wine,” he said as he leveled a glass to his lips, then indeed took a sip. “I heard a rumor about the place this stuff is imported from and decided it was worth testing. And you?”

“Nothing quite so fancy. I prefer to drink more of the cheap stuff. Saves money for more important matters, and gets me filled quicker. Speaking of… Barmaid! Where’s my ale?”

“Coming, coming!” the woman shouted back, then yelped. Where had she disappeared to, anyway?

Rubbing her rump, she walked through a swinging door just behind the counter. “Sorry about that,” she said, grabbing Naihar’s empty mug and thrusting it beneath the tap. “And the names not Barmaid. It’s Palona.”

Sliding the ale down the counter at him, Palona smiled despite the acidic bite behind her words. Ah well. Naihar’s mug was full and he didn’t have to drink it alone.

“Cheers,” he said, raising his mug.

Kintas replied only with a grin, then tapped Naihar’s mug with the rim of his glass.

Taking a large gulp of bitter malt and milky froth, Naihar, for the first time in several days, felt content.

If only the moment had lasted longer than… well, only a moment.

Something knocked Kintas into Naihar with enough force to throw him to the floor, the front of his uniform soaked in ale and wine. Before he knew it, Kintas was off his stool too, but instead of looking for the man who hit him, he was bent over, stretching out his hand to help Naihar up.

“You alright?” he asked.

“I’m fine,” Naihar scoffed, then grunted as he took Kintas’ hand and was pulled onto his feet. Without looking, he yelled: “Who was that?”

Scanning the room, the closest person was Teresh. When Naihar entered the room he was having a private conversation with that blind man, Hithon, though now he was standing out of his seat and clutching his arm. Naihar’s eyes narrowed on him, not noticing the stranger with long golden-red hair rushing out of the pub.

"Got a problem, Teresh?” Naihar yelled.

Still grasping his own arm, the Initiate did not bother to turn.

“Naihar, wait…” Kintas said, reaching for Naihar’s arm as he moved passed him, though the man twisted his arm and slipped out of his grip.

“Did you hear me, Teresh?” Naihar shouted, grabbing the Initiate by his shoulder and spinning him. “I asked what your problem is!”

Rather than answer with words, Teresh swiped his arms down onto Naihar’s elbows then pushed on his chest, shoving him back. “Stay out of this, Naihar. This is none of your business.”

Naihar stumbled into Kintas, who leaned forward to brace the fall. Once on his feet again, Naihar stepped within Teresh’s reach. Too close to swing, but close enough to whisper in his ear.

He still shouted, anyway.

“You made this my business when you shouldered my friend. What did Kintas ever do to you? Or did you do it to mess with me? I know you’ve never liked me, but that’s low. Even for you.”

This time when Teresh pushed Naihar away, the man was ready.

Naihar turned and bladed his body, grabbing Teresh’s right wrist and pulling the man’s arm over his shoulder while he thrust out his hip and bent his knees to lower his weight. The momentum of Teresh’s push carried him forward and onto Naihar’s back, allowing him to lift the man off his feet and roll him right over his shoulder, sending him flying onto the table where Shinon and Ranatar sat. Beneath the force of his weight, glass shattered and wood crumbled, leaving Teresh in the middle of a mess of splinters and shards.

Several Initiates jumped to their feet, including Hithon, who had no idea what had just happened to Teresh, other than the fact he was in pain, judging by his groaning.

yK6X9CIqe7McZ3FhEBtNG_Y6GFx6gq3dNhzuX1ih

Uther had not seen that coming. And to think, Hithon was meant to be the blind one.

Groaning, Uther rolled onto his side, his right arm reaching behind his back in a vain attempt to pull out the jagged pieces of wood and glass embedded into his back. All he managed to do was get blood on his hand.

“Are you okay?" Shinon asked, bending over at Uther's side. Rather than answer with words, Uther pushed up from the pile of refuse and threw a punch straight at Naihar’s jaw, sending him flying into the bar, knocking several empty glasses onto the floor.

Unlike Naihar, Uther knew better than to stop fighting once his opponent was on the floor. Growling, he jumped on top of the man, grabbing him by the collar of his shirt and pummeling him several times in the face.

“Teresh! Stop!”

Uther paid Kintas’ voice no mind.

Grab hold and bind,” shouted Kintas, and then suddenly that rope he wore as a belt was wrapped around Uther’s legs, dragging him away from Naihar and knotting itself so that he couldn’t stand back up.

Couldn't stand back up, at least, without drawing his boot knife and, with one quick swipe, cutting himself free, the rope becoming inanimate the moment it was severed in two.

“Gah!”

A boot stomped on his knife hand, pinning it to the floor, forcing Uther to look up. Naihar. Grabbing the man’s ankle with his free hand, Uther tugged hard enough to rip him Naihar off his feet, then pounced on top of him, seeking to put him in submission.

Naihar fought hard to wrestle free, but whatever his skills, he wasn’t very adept at ground fighting. Naihar crunched inward, trying to stand up despite Uther throwing all his weight onto his lap, allowing him to spin around him and get at his back. Like a pair of clamps, he squeezed his arms around Naihar’s neck, grabbing his own bicep with his right hand and the back of Naihar’s head with his left.

Before Uther could push his head against Naihar’s, the man suddenly threw himself backwards, forcing the splinters of wood and shards of glass deeper into his back. The choke loosened, allowing Naihar to break free.

And then Araon jumped on top of them both, and the real fight began.

Ralaanar leapt out of his dreams to the sound of Uther crashing onto a table.

Well, that’s not good. Testosterone and liquor never did make a good mix.

“Testosterone? What’s that?” Ralaanar asked, then dropped his jaw when he saw Uther burst from the floor and punch Naihar right in his.

You know. The male hormone. What do they teach you kids in school these days?

“School?” Ralaanar asked, confused. Rissa sighed, then gasped as Kintas’ rope came to life to drag Uther away from Naihar’s slumped form.

Oooo. I haven’t seen a ropespren before. Wonder what Order that one belongs too. Hm. Could really use some popcorn right now.

“Popcorn?” Ralaanar asked, irritated. Rissa really could be cryptic when she wanted. This time she didn’t respond, however, only watched as the man wrestled on the floor, and laughed when Araon climbed onto a table and jumped onto Uther and Naihar, elbow first, as they wrestled.

Balthazar, inspired by Araon’s sudden joining of the fight, walked straight up to Shinon and decked him in the face.

“Men” Ralaanar sighed, wiping the sweat from his brow. When had it gotten so hot in here, anyway?

Fire licked the back of his neck, and he yelped. Craning his head, he found hiscloak aflame, and began to run around in a circle, panicking.

“What do I do! What do I do!”

Stop drop and rollllll!

Ralaanar fell to the floor and began to flail wildly. Beside him, the quiet fire he sat next to for warmth was dancing furiously, desperate to escape the hearth.

Man, fire really is unpredictable in this Realm.

When Ralaanar finally put the fire out, he was covered in burns and tangled in the singed remains of his cloak.

That’s when the thunder rang.

“Enough!” Dalinar shouted as he leapt up onto the bar of Pub Seb, the door leading to Sebarial’s private quarters swaying behind him. When the ruckus first began, the fat Highprince was content to let it resolve itself, but once his mistress, Palona, came running into warn him that the Initiates were getting violent, Dalinar had no other choice but intervene.

“What is the meaning of this?” he yelled, jumping into the middle of the brawl, the Initiates scattering away like cremlings, feigning sobriety and trying to hide their bloody knuckles.

No one looked like they wanted to answer.

“Initiate Sareth! Come here. You always speak the truth. How did this nonsense begin?”

Weaving through the bodies of the combatants, the Shin man stepped up to and knelt before Dalinar.

“It was Naihar, Highprince. He provoked Teresh, then threw him into a table when he pushed him away.”

“That’s a load of crem!” Naihar retorted, running up to Sareth’s side and kneeling beside him. “It was Teresh, sir. He bumped Kintas into me, then refused to admit it.”

Pondering, Dalinar searched the faces in the crowd. “Initiate Kintas, is that so?”

Kintas rushed to Naihar’s side and fell on one knee. “I don’t know, sir. I did not see what happened. Only felt someone hit me, and when I turned there was no one but Teresh standing close enough by.”

Sighing, Dalinar prepared to yell Teresh’s name, but before he could, the man was already kneeling beside Sareth.

“It wasn’t me! I swear it. I was speaking with Hithon, and-” before he could finish, Teresh suddenly grasped his wrist.

“What’s wrong, Initiate Teresh?”

“I… uh…”

The stale air became tense.

“Show me your wrist, Initiate Teresh.”

Teresh showed it to him, eyes shining with fear.

“What is this symbol? I don’t remember seeing it on you before?”

“I… uh…”

Why was the man hesitating? Dalinar inhaled Stormlight and the men kneeling before him slumped a little further.

“It’s the symbol of the Ghostbloods, sir.”

Dalinar had never heard the name before.

“I… uh…”

Dalinar breathed deeper, and the words poured out.

“Before I swore the First Ideal, I worked for a secret organization called the Ghostbloods. I don’t know everything about them, but they paid me well and taught me everything I know. Not long ago, they were fighting a shadow war with the Sons of Honor and the Diagrammists, another pair of secret organizations, of which I was right in the middle, here in Urithiru…”

Sons of Honor… hadn’t Gavilar mentioned those, once?

“What did you do for the Ghostbloods, Initiate Teresh?”

“I… uh…”

This time Dalinar would not rely on Stormlight to force the words out of him. “Answer me, Initiate Teresh! Before I lose my patience!”

Teresh leaped, and admitted it all.

“I killed for them, sir! A guard outside City Lord Notin’s manor, then the Brightlord himself! A young boy who was hired by the Ghostblood’s to pass messages between their members, who realized he could earn more spheres selling the information to their enemies! A Captain of your very army, so quick that he couldn’t even yield if he wanted! A bright scholar who was never guilty of anything except taking too much interest in a book about the Voidbringers! I remember their faces, and so many more… so many…”

The Initiate was sobbing. Satisfied, Dalinar exhaled, letting the last of his Stormlight drain out of his lips, the air slackening as it dissipated.

“I left them, sir. Left them for this. For you.”

“Then why do you still wear their mark?” Dalinar asked. “If you truly believed yourself separated from them, the Stormlight would take it away.”

“I… uh…”

Dalinar sighed. “Go, Initiate Teresh. Pack your things. You’re moving to the cells until I have more time to ask you about these… Ghostbloods.

“As for the rest of you! I thought you adults, but clearly I was wrong. You have all shown me that you’re little more than children, and as such I must treat you accordingly. To your rooms! Now! All of you! Consider your day off canceled! I better see everyone of you, in formation, at the ground floor’s garden, no later than dawn! Understand?”

“Yes sir!” several of the Initiates yelled, some in unison, others meekly after the others. Regardless, not a single one remained in the room for long.

Ralaanar dreamed.

He was six again, back in Kelathar. He clumsily swung a wooden sword at a man, who parried it easily. Father. Ralaanar swung the sword again and giggled. Father said something approxing and Ralaanar giggled again.

Tears streamed down Ralaanar’s cheeks as he faced his pet axehound, Addy. “I can’t,” he said.

“You must,” father said.

“I can’t,” Ralaanar repeated. “He’s my friend.”

“Do it,” Father said. His voice was harder this time.

Ralaanar shut his eyes and raised the knife. Maybe it would be easier if he couldn’t see Addy - if he couldn’t see his pet axehound that he’d had for… how long had he had him for, anyway?

The darkness writhed around Ralaanar and he knew instantly that something was wrong.

Someone backhanded Ralaanar, who flew backwards, onto the grass. For some reason, the grass didn’t retreat. Instead, it decayed around Ralaanar and formed a pile of ash. Somehow, though, the ash felt cold. Almost a bit icy, like there was a frigid breeze blowing through it.

Ralaanar shifted as Addy licked his reddened cheek. He cried, then tried to go back to sleep.

“Good morning, Ralaanar,” said a voice from the shadows.

“I thought her name was Ralaani?” chimed another.

“No, no. That’s the lie he’s been telling everyone, remember?”

“He? Wait, now I’m confused.”

“Shut up. It’s my turn to recite the criminal’s record.”

The first voice cleared their throat.

“Ralaanar Naven. The Court of Kelathar County finds you guilty of both Trespassing and Vandalizing your neighbor's yard, as well as Stealing their prize axehound, Slippers. Additionally, since Fleeing from your crimes, you have been seen breaking into several homes and shops in search of food and medical supplies, as well as dresses, hairbrushes, makeup, papers, paints, and countless other feminine products and art paraphernalia, not to mention you using many of these stolen goods to conceal your true identity, and lying to multiple officers of the law. What say you to these crimes?”

Ralaanar rubbed the crusts from his eyes, still half-asleep and unsure if this were reality, or an extension of his nightmare.

Leave him alone!

Bark!

“I was talking to Ralaanar. Not the two of you. Ralaanar?”

“Who are you?”

The voices laughed.

“Lantern. Take care of the dog. Without any spheres, I should be able to handle the boy on my own.”

“Whatever you say, Amazon. Come here, Slippers! Have I got just the treat for you!”

Growling, Addy leapt away from Ralaanar and disappeared completely in the darkness.

Shing.

“No!” Ralaanar shouted at the sound of metal scraping. He saved Addy from his abusive owners, and would not let the axehound die now because of him.

No! Rissa shouted at the sound of metal piercing flesh. Without infused spheres she was powerless to save Ralaanar, and now there was nothing she could do but feel herself fade back into the Cognitive, hoping to see her friend on the other side.

The last thing either of them heard was the voices declare, "Let Justice be done."

In the darkness of his cell, Uther recalled an old story he once heard to Veriq, though the man had fallen asleep to his reciting long ago.

“When he showed the Uvara the dead body, they began to wail and weep. The entire island was cast into chaos, as the Uvara began to burn homes, riot, or fall to their knees in torment.

“Do you not see, traveling one? If the emperor is dead, and has been all these years, then the murders we committed are not his responsibility. They are our own.”

Despite Veriq’s obnoxious snoring, Uther’s own weeping was still loud in his ears.

Dalinar watched the Initiates form their ranks in the darkness, unsure of what punished awaited them. Many of them had arrived an hour before dawn, saluting the Highprince as they passed him inside the tower, just outside the bottom floor of the garden.

They were forced to stand facing the sun, that way they could not see what the Squires did behind their back. Whenever one twitched, Dalinar would see it and yell, enhancing his voice with Stormlight and tensing the air so that it weighed heavier upon their shoulders.

Slowly, he was learning to control this power. Before, the pressure surrounded him like a sphere with him the gemstone at its center. Now he could move the unseen force around, distort its shape, and even increase its density. It covered the Initiates now like a cloud.

When the sun touched the horizon, Dalinar yelled the preparatory command “About!” and watched with amusement as the Initiates jolted stiff. Letting the anticipation get the better of them, he waited for the first one to nearly lose their balance before finishing with the execution command, “Face!”

Those familiar with military training moved in unison, their right foot tracing a C behind their left, then spinning on their respective heel and toe until they did a complete 180, their feet coming at a perfect forty-five degree angle. Those not familiar with military training lost control, stumbling into one another and making a fool of themselves. One Initiate even got knocked onto his knees, then in a panic, threw themselves back into the position of attention.

Between the Initiates and Dalinar, who was now standing on a mobile bridge sat down earlier by Rock, was two pairs of Squires - Teft with Skar and Leyten with Drehy, respectively - who glowed as each pair held a bridge above their heads, fully extended, with ease, before stepping to the side and letting go.

The bridges, trailing Stormlight, fell to the ground as light as feathers.

On the floor above Dalinar, his sons, Adolin and Renarin, along with Highprince Aladar, stepped into view, surrounded by several lighteyed officers.

Out of the tower behind Dalinar, two legions of men, one wearing Kholin’s colors, the other Aladar’s, rushed into view, bearing weapons recently soulcast by Shallan.

“Captain Kaladin has still not returned from Stormseat, and thus it is our duty to go find him. According to his Squires, Stormblessed is still alive, though he is weak, and growing weaker. It is critical that we find him at once. Doing so, however, will require three bridges to be carried. Given the losses from our last two battles with the Voidbringers, we are running low on capable soldiers to shoulder these bridges. That is why I volunteered you all to carry them for us.”

Dalinar watched the Initiates faces, looking for anger, or defiance. He was surprised - and pleased - to find all of them stern, though a few men did wobble a little, likely hungover from last night.

“Initiates! Divide yourselves evenly and grab a bridge! We leave for the Shattered Plains at once!”

Among the Initiates, someone muttered under their breath "Not again..."

Edited by Amanuensis

CHAPTER SIX

Uther has been arrested! He was Guilty of Murder, Murder, and More Murder!

Ralaanar has been murdered! He was an Honorable Lightweaver!

One Bond has been formed!

Like I said, this write up was on the lighter side. Unlike the previous ones, I wanted this one to be more Initiate focused. If you haven't noticed, I've set a pattern, so you should be able to guess which Stormlight character the next write up will be centered on...

Anyway, looks like the Initiates are heading back to the Shattered Plains! This time on a rescue mission to find Kaladin Stormblessed. But where is he? And what happened to the rest of the Voidbringers? Well at least this time you've got a couple armies worth of men at your back, and your main priority is carrying a bridge, rather than fighting! Although this is Dalinar's mission, feel free to give him some suggestions on where to look. Use your brains to figure out where Kaladin might have been dragged off too. It'll be fun, I promise!

I might not be able to get GM PMs out as soon as I'd like. Got some serious work stuff to take care of first, but I will try to get on them ASAP. I'll have to double check the results when I do, since only one spren should have been Bonded this Chapter.

Regardless, have fun!

INTERROGATION

(4) Alvron: Arinian, Hemalurgic_Headshot, Drake Marshall, A Joe in a Bush,

(1) Arinian: Doc12,

(5) Drake Marshall: Jondesu, Arraenae, Elbereth, Alvron, TheMightyLopen,

(1) Darkness Ascendant: randuir,

(1) TheMightyLopen: Magestar,

(1) Arraenae: Drake Marshall,

EXECUTION

(9/10) Quiver: Alvron, Hemalurgic_Headshot, Magestar, Assassin in Burgundy, Arraenae, Arinian, TheMightyLopen, randuir, Jondesu,

INITIATES

1. A Joe in the Bush as Jonly

2. Assassin in Burgundy as Araon Darkblade

3. Jondesu as Kintas

4. randuir as Ranatar

5. Hemalurgic_Headshot as Sareth-son-Erneth

6. TheSilverDragon as Rea

7. Ecthelion III as Fifth Nameless

8. Arinian as Arionium, Guilty of Murder, Fraud, and Multiple Counts of Theft

9. JUQ as Hess

10. Shqueeves as Leif

11. Doc12 as Hithon

12. Magestar as Balthazar

13. TheMightyLopen as Shinon

14. The lazy anarchist as Lyna Telavalet

15. Alvron as Naihar

16. DroughtBringer as Petrik

17. Darkness Ascendant as The Phantom Stranger & Hashiv

18. Elbereth as Tintallë Iurnu

PRISONERS

1. Veriq, Guilty of Cowardice and Being an Accomplice to Murder
  2. Teresh, Guilty of Murder, Murder and More Murder!

CASUALTIES

1. Lomot the Honorable Initiate
  2. Ashetvl the Honorable Initiate
  3. Ralaanar the Honorable Lightweaver

COUNTDOWN

Chapter Six will end on Friday, February 24th, at 0400 EST. Chapter Seven will begin approximately 2 hours later

tur_1487926800.png

Edited by Amanuensis

First, epic write up, Aman. It always feels good to be the trustworthy one. On the other hand, Ralaanar is dead!? From the structure of the write up, I'm thinking that was the Unjusts' kill action, not the Dustbringer. So they have finally stepped up and got their hands dirty... it's not fun and games anymore, I'm afraid. To make matters a bit more disconcerting, Rae was a Lightweaver. It isn't the fact that Rae was a Lightweaver, no, it's that the Unjust hit a bonded Honorable their first attack. Lightweaver is a skill we do not want to fall into the Unjust's hands. I am proposing that the Truthwatcher is Unjust. The Unjust specifically located the Lightweaver and then struck. And @Amanuensis, one Bond was formed. Previously you said that a spren that had been unbonded from death or something could not be rebonded that same cycle. Does the unbonding of Rae's spren count from last cycle, when the Unjust technically made their kill order (right? I'm not sure entirely how the Elims work), or does the unbonded count for this cycle? Depending on which one is correct, could the Lightweaver be snatched up this cycle, or is it the one new Bond that was made?

13 minutes ago, Hemalurgic_Headshot said:

And @Amanuensis, one Bond was formed. Previously you said that a spren that had been unbonded from death or something could not be rebonded that same cycle. Does the unbonding of Rae's spren count from last cycle, when the Unjust technically made their kill order (right? I'm not sure entirely how the Elims work), or does the unbonded count for this cycle?

When a Radiant dies like Rae did, just assume that Bond was broken, even if I don't put up a message for it like I did for the Bond that broke last Chapter. Like any time a Bond breaks, someone cannot Bond the spren of a Radiant the same turn they die; there will always be a one turn delay, at the very least.

35 minutes ago, Hemalurgic_Headshot said:

Okay. So next cycle, please some Honorable player snatch up that role!

And in the meantime, we need to hunt down that Truthwatcher.

I'm not 100% sure that this kill is the result of an unjust truthwatcher, though by all means, hunt him/her down as I want that Spren :P (And you mentioned you had invested in truthwatcher as well, so could this be a ploy to get your hands on it?).

The reason I think this doesn't have to have been the result of a truthwatcher is that there are only about 8 characters with maximum or almost maximum honour, so that would give the elims better than 50-50 odds on targeting someone holding a spren. Add to that that some people indicated in thread that they didn't have a spren but someone else did get it, and process of elimination could significantly increase the odds. 

edit: Though the specific Spren to have been targeted is unfortunate and/or suspicious. In my opinion, of the available spren, only dustbringer and potentially willshaper would be more problematic in unjust hands (and we can't really rule out any of those being in their hands at this point).

Edited by randuir

1 hour ago, Hemalurgic_Headshot said:

Okay. So next cycle, please some Honorable player snatch up that role!

And in the meantime, we need to hunt down that Truthwatcher.

From the writeup, I was assuming that this was just the Unjust's faction ability: investigating first, then sending two of their members to execute the person for the crimes they discovered.  It was probably just luck on their part that they hit one of our Radiants. That does confirm that there was a Lightweaver (I found out just this morning from a PM that I had misunderstood and there was indeed a Lightweaver before, as we now know for sure, and that means there's only one unidentified spren bonded).

EDIT: Also, the number of players with the maximum Honor possible (10) is shrinking a bit, as a number of people now have 9 or 8, instead of 10.  Only four of us still have the max: Drake, Mage, Randuir, and myself.  This is all assuming I haven't made mistakes or that Aman hasn't been calculating things differently, of course, but it's interesting to watch.

Edited by Jondesu

The most interesting thing that happened this cycle, in my opinion, is the Willshaper. From last cycle, Alv was all set to be lynched, until the Willshaper switched Lopen's vote from Alv to Drake, causing Drake to now be imprisoned. Now this is an extremely decisive move. If we execute Drake and find that he is Unjust, the Willshaper is almost certainly hard-cleared in my mind. The Willshaper was one that decided the vote, and while it could have been a gambit to get trust, I believe that an Unjust Drake almost certainly means an Honorable Willshaper. On the other hand, if Drake turns out to be Honorable, Alv is going to be first on the target list, and the Willshaper coming after. So I'm going to vote to execute Drake. 

As for suspicions, I am currently suspicious of Alv, but until results from the Drake lynch come out, I don't have much to bring against him except for the fact that he has been second-closest from the lynch for the third time in a row. So far, the people I've PMed don't exactly think he's suspicious, but if Drake turns out to be honorable next cycle, my first target will be Alv.

On Rae's death, I'm honestly surprised that she's a Lightweaver. She's been telling me n PMs that she had been trying to bond Edgedancer, expressing frustration when she didn't get Edgedancer last cycle. I wouldn't exactly have pegged her as holding a spren either, as she isn't among those with maximum honor. And while it wasn't exactly the Elim's first attack, Headshot, I'm not going to discount the possibility that the Unjust did know that she had a spren beforehand. It just seems weird otherwise. I'll look over the thread tomorrow and throw a vote then.

Until then, Goodnight!

Well, I can honestly say I was not expecting that.  I went to work fully expecting to go to jail as I thought the Willshaper was going to add a vote to Quivers execution like they did last cycle.  Don't get me wrong, I'm pleased to have survived another round but it's thrown me for a loop as I spent a good deal of time at work planning some jail RP.

I conclude this message with these instructions: should any of you fall, it is imperative that their ring finds their way back to me or the First Nameless. Use this envelope, third rotation.

-First Instructions from PRIME

-

Bridge Group One: Jonly, Araon, Kintas, Ranatar, Sareth, Rea

Bridge Group Two: Fifth Nameless, Arionium, Hess, Leif, Hithon, Balthazar

Bridge Group Three: Shinon, Lyna, Naihar, Petrik, Hashiv, and Tintalle.

[based on player list]

-

Fifth had a problem. Namely, he was assigned to carry the wrong bridge.

This should be a problem easily fixed. When the supervisors weren't looking, Fifth offered a coin to Araon @Assassin in Burgundy asking to switch places.

-

I don't see any reason to not execute Drake. Information, information, information!

Edited by Ecthelion III

9 minutes ago, Ecthelion III said:

I conclude this message with these instructions: should any of you fall, it is imperative that their ring finds their way back to me or the First Nameless. Use this envelope, third rotation.

-First Instructions from PRIME

-

Bridge Group One: Jonly, Araon, Kintas, Ranatar, Sareth, Rea

Bridge Group Two: Fifth Nameless, Arionium, Hess, Leif, Hithon, Balthazar

Bridge Group Three: Shinon, Lyna, Naihar, Petrik, Hashiv, and Tintalle.

[based on player list]

-

Fifth had a problem. Namely, he was assigned to carry the wrong bridge.

This should be a problem easily fixed. When the supervisors weren't looking, Fifth offered a coin to Araon @Assassin in Burgundy asking to switch places.

-

I don't see any reason to not execute Drake. Information, information, information!

Khm... sorry but I can't be in Bridge group cause I'm fugitive.

Drake.