Long Game 43: Under the Banner of Adonalsium

Seonid

That should be all of the new role PMs out! If somebody does not have a new message with a new role, please PM me as soon as you can!

I'm sorry for the inconvenience this has caused, and I hope you all enjoy the reboot of LG43!

24 minutes ago, Steeldancer said:

Um. What happened? 

To give the short version, Elbereth had made the spread-sheet for processing and recording actions, but due to a permission goof she accidentally got to see the spreadsheet in use once the game started, which meant she probably saw a lot of alignement and orders and stuff. This could have been solved by either her dropping out, or us starting over again with new RNG. The second option was chosen, which is fine by me.

Here's the link to all my relevant posts from last time-line. My opinions remain unchanged despite the time-line reshuffle. I'm not sure if I've got anything else to add for this cycle, and I'll still be gone during the weekend, which now means I'll miss most of D1.

Edited by randuir

Love the write up. If I had time now I think I’d RP Div reacting to the quake, but I’ll have to just hope I can do that later. 

This does completely invalidate any reads we might have picked up from the discussion on the first attempt at the cycle, so I guess we get to try again. Once more, though, I don’t really plan to talk strategy or do much analysis (none of it public probably), so I don’t expect anyone will get much of a read on me until voting starts.

My opinions remain largely unchanged from last cycle, but my reads on players will obviously need to be reworked. Still working on Investiture analysis. Still think the 17S is best going for Cultivation and Ambition. In particular, Cultivation, as even if we don’t release the Shard, PMs are still useful. 

6 hours ago, _Stick_ said:

Heh, great write-up

6 hours ago, Seonid said:

Rae did a great job, didn't she? If she were up at rollover time, I'd have her post the new threads just so that she would get all of the upvotes.

Awww, thank you. :>

So we started over, not that it makes much difference to me. Going for Cultivation early will help address our lack of communication. However, if a Shard is released, nobody gains any Investiture from that Shard. Therefore, it's probably best if only three or four players go for Cultivation and the same amount for Ambition. Furthermore, Cultivation can only create two PMs per cycle. A possible solution is for eight players to sacrifice four turns to ensure full connection. These eight players would steal Investiture tonight from Shards other than Cultivation or Ambition, travel to Roshar in the day, then spend their night action next cycle to obtain a charge of Cultivation's Investiture. On Day 2, they would then create a PM with a player on Roshar. This would require everyone to worldhop to Roshar. We would end up at the beginning of Night 2 with a PM chain connecting all twenty players, assuming that we've lynched two by then. If it turns out that worldhopping occurs after Investiture actions, we could leave Roshar after the PMs are created in preparation for stealing more Investiture. @Seonid, can we get an order of actions for the day turn?

Feel free to attack this plan. The main flaws that I can see are that it requires a lot of cooperation, limits personal autonomy, makes it easy for Hoid and Khrissala to convert whoever they want, and limits our ability to release Shards. I believe the benefits are worth the downsides, but that's just my opinion.

Sorry about that, all. >> And Steel, I'm usually the one in charge of making timelines consistent. Whoops. 

I would point out that literally everyone, regardless of changed alignment, will say that their position has not changed since last cycle. Everyone saying that and nothing else being discussed is not a useful state of affairs. So while we can't use the past turn for determining alignment, we can still discuss and build off the ideas of last turn. In light of that, I have a few responses to people last turn: 

@Magestar, while I think it's possible that an intermediary would be useful with other Shards, Survival seems most useful as an intermediary between the evil teams. Which is definitely enough to counterbalance their use to the 17th Shard. 

@livinglegend, the main issue I see with your plan of coordinating so Shards don't get released is that what's most likely is that Hoid and Khrissalla steal as well, and not only get a 1/3 chance at a Shard of their choosing, but know which two people almost certainly have the Shard if they don't receive it. That sort of information is well worth a conversion, in my opinion, and wouldn't set Hoid and Khriss back at all. 

@TheYoungPyromancer, I'm personally completely ignoring Silverlight being in the Cognitive Realm, mostly because we don't know enough about it to write well in it. 

Also, from this turn - @Devotary of Spontaneity, could you clarify what the benefit of your plan is? Having a PM circle 1) isn't going to last long, since people will be dying, and 2) isn't necessarily the most useful thing in the world. Why do you think that provides enough benefit for the detriments you listed? 

Edited by Elbereth

6 minutes ago, Elbereth said:

Having a PM circle 1) isn't going to last long, since people will be dying, and 2) isn't necessarily the most useful thing in the world. Why do you think that provides enough benefit for the detriments you listed? 

While Cultivation remains whole, she can theoretically seal most of the breaks in a PM circle. While having everyone connected in a PM isn't essential, after tonight it will be more difficult to create any PMs without Cultivation's approval. Anyone other than Cultivation who wants to create a PM will either have to be a Hemalurgist or at some point go to Roshar, trade for a charge of Cultivation's Investiture, then burn it to create a PM. If Cultivation gets shattered, then the Roshar ability will be the only way we'll ever get new PMs. I do see what you're saying though. Perhaps it would be better to spread out PM creation over a few cycles? Wait for a few conversions and deaths to happen, then let the survivors travel to Roshar at their own pace? 

@Elbereth

"Ye know Willie is a is a waitin' tae hear whit ye need help wi'" Willie said as he was cutting the last blades of grass to make them even. "What should Ah e'en call ye? Re'searcher? Eg'Head? Nyaff? Wee lit...."

Willie was interrupted as the earth began to shake violently, the surrounding walls began to groan with the strain and the trees danced erratically.

After what felt like an eternity it finally slowed down and stopped. "By ruins own cremhole, what was 'at?" Willie picked himself up hand feeling the long soft grass.... Willie looked around "Ah C'mon now! Are ye serioos?" All the grass was longer than it was before he cut it. Willie sighed audibly in resignation "Weel th' grass isn't gonnae cut itself" Will got down on his knees and began to use the shears, again gathering the cuttings as he went along cutting precisely and quickly as only someone with years of experience could.

---------

I really don't have anything different to say from last cycle... the problem is I know that by saying that the elims could easily hide by saying something similiar so does anyone have any ideas to generate some constructive discussion this cycle?

47 minutes ago, Steeldancer said:

Well ok. So elbereth messed up the timeline. I thought that was Flash's job, but whatever 

Haha this made me laugh, sorry Eobard next time I guess.

Edited by MonsterMetroid
Formatting to make the earthquake interruption more apparent cause it was bothering me.

A shadow passed over one of Silverlight's violet sphere lamps, dimming it. Funny how that works, Everen mused, glancing at his shadow.

It had been an interesting day. Somebody had released one of the shards. It had been at least a century since a shard of Adolnasium freely roamed the cosmere. At least it was one of the relatively benign ones. As benign as shards could be, in any case.

Everen's pondering was interrupted by a great quake. He was knocked off his feet and sent sprawling.

He stood up, dusting himself off.

A shadow passed over one of Silverlight's amber sphere lamps, dimming it. Funny how that works, Everen mused, glancing at his shadow.

It had been an unusual day. One of the shards had breached containment. It had been more than a century since a shard of Adolnasium freely roamed the cosmere. At least it was one of the relatively harmless ones. As harmless as shards could be, anyways.

36 minutes ago, Elbereth said:

@Magestar, while I think it's possible that an intermediary would be useful with other Shards, Survival seems most useful as an intermediary between the evil teams. Which is definitely enough to counterbalance their use to the 17th Shard. 

Fair.  I see it was a bad idea now.

8 minutes ago, Elbereth said:

You haven't actually answered my question. What is the benefit of everyone being connected in a PM circle? 

People do tend to reveal more and be more open in PMs, if they ever talk.  But I'm not sure how useful it will be in this scenario, especially with conversions.

1 minute ago, TheYoungPyromancer said:

Does everyone want to reveal what they were last time?  I actually WAS Survival, which makes me really sad that we restarted.

And I was Hoid last time.

Joking. Lmao. (Or am i?)

Interesting. You would know about Survival's win con and all though...And whether you were assigned a separate win con from the start in the first place. Should probably refrain from giving the info out I think

You are right that PM circles are not necessarily advantageous Elbereth. The benefit of having a PM circle is that everyone is in contact with at least one other player. Depending on the alignment of the two connected players, this can help keep people accountable and give them a private outlet to share their thoughts, real or falsified. Since PMs in this game are so limited, I believe that ensuring that everyone has at least one PM is better than one person having several contacts while other people having none. As Mage says, people do tend to be more talkative in PMs. The more important part is to not let the power of PM creation lie solely with Cultivation's Vessel. However, you have convinced me that my plan was not the greatest. While I still believe that PMs will be important and that we shouldn't neglect them, I no longer think that coordinated action is the best way to go about creating them.

Drought makes a good point about World docs, though since I don't believe they reset every day, it seems that they would be even less secure than a PM. Unless they are anonymous and you don't have to use the same color every time you visit.