Sanderson Elimination: Questions & Answers and Game Meta Discussion

Metacognition

23 minutes ago, A Joe in the Bush said:

Related to that, I think it might be beneficial to have a notification / sign up thread. Every time a game started, or a Game Master needs a pinch hitter, one of the mods could post in that thread with a link to the signups, or to the GM's profile to PM. That way people who want to play could follow a single thread, instead of the entire forum. It would help declutter notification inboxes. 

If we didn't want to have a 6th pinned topic in the forum, we could just post these in the General Rules topic.

Does anyone else think this would be a good idea?

9 minutes ago, Elandera said:

I think that's a great idea. We could also unpin the championships thread except for when it's needed, and create a new "Current Game Notifications" thread (or a more clever title than that nonsense).

I think these are great ideas. I don't think that name is nonsense, Elandera! I kinda like it.

Status update on all the threads! 

• The Championships thread is hidden and unpinned when it's not currently in use (or should be; I'm not sure if that happened this past year but it is generally what we do), so that'll free up one slot. 
  • Art of Game Creation is just fine, I think, and will stay as it is. 
  • We're currently thinking of replacing this thread with a thread like the one discussed, to get rid of four years of clutter, and move most meta-relevant discussion to our Discord server, which is where the vast majority of it has been anyway. That would be a thread to announce game signups, request pinchhitters, and ask general questions. 
  • General Rules is also getting a redo at some point, because it's... somewhat outdated. :P That is slightly further down the road, because it needs a fairly significant rework, but will happen. 
  • SEAcropolis is dead and sad and has been for a long time. :( Does anyone have thoughts on how to change that / what to do about that? Because I haven't got anything yet. 

Please be patient with the mods, as doing things is hard and we are busy. :P But feel free to comment on any of the above! 

1 minute ago, Elbereth said:

SEAcropolis is dead and sad and has been for a long time. :( Does anyone have thoughts on how to change that / what to do about that? Because I haven't got anything yet. 

Could hold a contest of some sort? people can send in fanworks in return for a Non-Sanderson pass? Otherwise I think it'll stay dead. The story meta has died.

6 minutes ago, Elbereth said:

SEAcropolis is dead and sad and has been for a long time. :( Does anyone have thoughts on how to change that / what to do about that? Because I haven't got anything yet.  

Maybe do the same thing as you're doing with this thread? I don't see much point in keeping it if it's not getting used, unless there's any sudden interest.

1 hour ago, MysticLotus said:

Hi-o. This sounds really interesting, but I'm wondering how we would know when a new round opens.

I'm not sure if Joe mentioned it, but there's a MR42 spec doc as well. I think that if you ask Joe he'll give you a link.

Edited by Straw

Greetings. I am interested in this. Having skimmed the rules and past games, I believe I have an adequate understanding of the game. As there is not currently an open game, I am simply proclaiming my existence to the world at large. Please inform me when a new game begins.

3 minutes ago, Gears said:

Greetings. I am interested in this. Having skimmed the rules and past games, I believe I have an adequate understanding of the game. As there is not currently an open game, I am simply proclaiming my existence to the world at large. Please inform me when a new game begins.

If you want to watch the game I’m currently running (LG66), you can PM me and I’ll send you a link to the spectator doc! Welcome to SE!

Edited by StrikerEZ

2 minutes ago, Spren of Kindness said:

I'm interested in this, but I'm absolutely horrible at remembering rules and what contexts to use them for.  Is it possible to shadow someone who knows what they're doing to get a feel for the game?

The closest thing to this would be spectating a game. That would allow you to talk with more experienced players who are watching, and also talk with dead players. Currently, LG66 is running and has a spec doc. I'd recommend joining the LG66 spec doc (I can give you the link if you're interested) and then possibly joining QF45 if you feel like you've got a good feel for the basic rules by the time it starts. QF45 has minimal rules, so it'd be a good starting game. It also has a lot of new players playing, so you'd be in the same boat as most other people.

18 minutes ago, Straw said:

The closest thing to this would be spectating a game. That would allow you to talk with more experienced players who are watching, and also talk with dead players. Currently, LG66 is running and has a spec doc. I'd recommend joining the LG66 spec doc (I can give you the link if you're interested) and then possibly joining QF45 if you feel like you've got a good feel for the basic rules by the time it starts. QF45 has minimal rules, so it'd be a good starting game. It also has a lot of new players playing, so you'd be in the same boat as most other people.

Mmm, no thanks.  But thanks for letting me know!

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, BringerOfLight said:

I'm sure this question gets asked a LOT, but I want to join Elimination and I'm really not sure where to start- Someone help please?

Hello, welcome to SE! 

Check out the rules here.

The best way to understand the game is go through some of them. Here's the thread of an ongoing game. Go through it to get a brief idea. There's also a spectator doc for a currently ongoing game which I'm sure @Orlok Tsubodaiwill be sure to provide. There's also an upcoming game to sign up for here once you feel you've got the grasp of it. 

Just now, TJ Shade said:

Hello, welcome to SE! 

Check out the rules here.

The best way to understand the game is go through some of them. Here's the thread of an ongoing game. Go through it to get a brief idea. There's also a spectator doc for a currently ongoing game which I'm sure @Orlok Tsubodaiwill be sure to provide. There's also an upcoming game to sign up for here once you feel you've got the grasp of it. 

Thank you so much! This is actually a huge help- I feel like you have this on a doc to quickly paste onto here whenever a newbie asks what the heck to do.

1 minute ago, BringerOfLight said:

Thank you so much! This is actually a huge help- I feel like you have this on a doc to quickly paste onto here whenever a newbie asks what the heck to do.

You're welcome! Well, no. I searched for the links after you asked them :P

I'm quite new at this as well, just playing my third game! Just helping out a fellow newbie.

2 hours ago, BringerOfLight said:

We've pretty much all asked the same question and seen it answered a bunch of times, so even though there isn't a doc it's almost always the same response! :lol:

Be sure to read through the whole of the rules thread that TJ sent you, there is a lot of really useful information on there like useful terms that will probably come up and a guide to how the games are formatted and scheduled.

Where do people propose game ideas? I have an idea for a Roshar game that I think would be cool.

I know I’m way too new at this to GM a game, but working to design one would be fun to do!

Spoiler

Synopsis: after the events of Oathbringer, Szeth and a band of infiltrators (Elims) invade the Shin High Council (Village). Instead of Radiants (aside from Szeth and perhaps a Kaladin role), players instead have Honorblades they can pass around and use for surges. Along with a few, shall we say... guest stars (Hidden Roles). :ph34r:

Could be a little meta-game dicy because it’s extrapolating what will probably really happen in Rhythm of War, but I think it’s a cool idea.

You're talking about PMs during games? Well, there's no special etiquette when it comes to using PMs. Just behave like you would in-thread. Different games have different PM rules. If you want to start a PM for the game you're currently playing, add the player you want to talk to, and GM and co-GM. As to when they are useful, well that's for you to decide. You could use it to start alliances with other players to plot. Or to relay sensitive information that would not be suitable to reveal in-thread. Basically, it's your wish to use however you like. 

Edited by TJ Shade

• 2 weeks later...
38 minutes ago, RadiantDramaQueen said:

Wasing the wanting of joining the game.

Brilliant! If you have not read the rules, check out this thread, and read the whole thing. There are no games open for sign ups now, as both the Long Game (LG) and the Mid-Range (MR) have been up and running for a while. There's a spectator doc for both those games where you can watch the proceedings and discuss it with fellow spectators and players who are dead. @Straw and @Kasimir would be happy to provide you the links for the same. I'd reckon the earliest a game can end is in about a week time. I'll tag you in the next game's sign ups if you miss it.

Edited by TJ Shade

5 minutes ago, TJ Shade said:

Brilliant! If you have not read the rules, check out this thread, and read the whole thing. There are no games open for sign ups now, as both the Long Game (LG) and the Mid-Range (MR) have been up and running for a while. There's a spectator doc for both those games where you can watch the proceedings and discuss it with fellow spectators and players who are dead. @Straw and @Kasimir would be happy to provide you the links for the same. I'd reckon the earliest a game can end is in about a week time. I'll tag you in the next game's sign ups if you miss it.

Oh, wait. I'd rather not give my email for this game. Sorry for the bother.