Having a Bad Day?: Get 'yer Hugs here!!

I just made a horrible mistake. My best friend from highschool noticed me on facebook. I don't want to talk to her, so I've been ignoring her for a long, long time. But I don't want her to hate me, she's still one of the better friends I have (even though I talk with her once in half a year, because I basically don't have friends). What do I do? Help. Is there a way to ignore her without her getting offended? 

I do realise my request is pretty heartless towards a person I call friend. Sorry, I know I'm a bad person. O.o

I just made a horrible mistake. My best friend from highschool noticed me on facebook. I don't want to talk to her, so I've been ignoring her for a long, long time. But I don't want her to hate me, she's still one of the better friends I have (even though I talk with her once in half a year, because I basically don't have friends). What do I do? Help. Is there a way to ignore her without her getting offended? 

I do realise my request is pretty heartless towards a person I call friend. Sorry, I know I'm a bad person. O.o

...Is her being your FB friend that big a deal? Who do you bother friending if not your...friends? Or do you mean she's actively messaging you and you don't feel like talking to her? In that case, just tell her that you're not much in the mood to talk right now. If she's really your friend then she shouldn't mind.

...Is her being your FB friend that big a deal? Who do you bother friending if not your...friends? Or do you mean she's actively messaging you and you don't feel like talking to her? In that case, just tell her that you're not much in the mood to talk right now. If she's really your friend then she shouldn't mind.

I mean that she's my "best friend" (not exactly best friend in the common understanding, but for me it was more than I usually had) and we went to highschool together. She is actively messaging me for months and I ignore her. And I think that her patience is going to run out finally (even though she's a really patient person). The problem with facebook is that it shows the other person that I saw their message. To be honest I have no idea how to deal with her. She's the first and only person that actually tries to keep in contact with me after we finished school. But I have nothing to talk to her about. That makes me really uncomfortable. But in the same time I don't want her to stop liking me, and if I tell her I'm not in the mood to talk she'll probably be annoyed (everyone always is) and angry with me. I know it's probably really selfish.

But I think I solved it. I replied her when she'd already disappeared from FB. I'll see how it goes from here. Let's count it as solved, before you start to consider me even more terrible person than you already do (and you're right...).

Edited by Pestis the Spider

I mean that she's my "best friend" (not exactly best friend in the common understanding, but for me it was more than I usually had) and we went to highschool together. She is actively messaging me for months and I ignore her. And I think that her patience is going to run out finally (even though she's a really patient person). The problem with facebook is that it shows the other person that I saw their message. To be honest I have no idea how to deal with her. She's the first and only person that actually tries to keep in contact with me after we finished school. But I have nothing to talk to her about. That makes me really uncomfortable. But in the same time I don't want her to stop liking me, and if I tell her I'm not in the mood to talk she'll probably be annoyed (everyone always is) and angry with me. I know it's probably really selfish.

But I think I solved it. I replied her when she'd already disappeared from FB. I'll see how it goes from here. Let's count it as solved, before you start to consider me even more terrible person than you already do (and you're right...).

This doesn't make you a terrible person. It makes you a person who no longer has anything in common with a former friend and doesn't want to talk.

As the two above me said, you're not a terrible person. But I do think you're greatly overestimating how upset people get when you tell them you don't really want to talk. Unless she's particularly sensitive, she'd likely just shrug it off. That's what my friends do, anyways.

Spoilered because the rant involves somewhat gross things. 

Bruce has been marking his territory nearly everywhere since I got back from Iowa, so I have him scheduled to get neutered tomorrow. It was the soonest I could get him in, and more than that, it's my day off, so I'll be able to drop him off and pick him up on my own. Had I done it any other day, someone else in my family would've had to either drop him off in the morning or pick him up in the afternoon because of my work schedule. The drawback here is that Bruce has had a week to aggressively mark everything he sees—but again, there is nothing I could do about the timing. Nothing. Keep that in mind as you read. 

So today, Bruce urinated on my mom's comforter. She said nothing about it this morning—nothing at all—but when I went downstairs to get some lunch, she brought it up. "One more day," I said. 

For some reason, this set her off. I was treated to an off-the-cuff lecture containing the following gems: 

• "I have been really nice about the whole thing. I haven't made a big deal about it." 
  • "When he peed on my pillow, anyone else would've made you pay for it, but I didn't because I wanted to be sweet and I think you have better things to spend your money on." 
  • "He may have ruined that $200 comforter." 
  • "If you stay here while the rest of us go to Spokane, you will be responsible for cleaning up after him, and if you let him pee all over the carpet, there's a good chance it will have to be replaced. I might just get sick of the whole thing and make you pay for it." 
  • "Getting him neutered won't change his personality. You're going to have to spray him when he barks at people, and you're going to have to teach him not to pee on things." 

Here's what I have to say to that. 

• No you haven't. You've saved up everything he's done so you could trot it out when you felt like lecturing me. 
  • No you weren't. You paid for your own pillows, yes, but you also made me drive all over town to find the only pillows capable of supporting Your Majesty's head. I spent an entire morning looking for those storming pillows, and when I got back, you'd thought of more to yell at me over. 
  • If I wrote you a check for $400, would you shut up about it? 
  • Since I can't remember if you said it would cost $1,500 or $15,000 to replace the carpet in this house, let me just say that forcing me to take on either amount of debt while paying off my student loans is a horrible thing to do and you are a horrible person for thinking of it. 
  • No, but literally everything I have read says that it will stop aggressive urination and make him less territorial. In other words, it will solve the problems you're having so much fun complaining about. 

And then, about twenty minutes after that, she had the audacity to come up to my room and claim the whole thing was my fault because clam up every time she tries to talk to me, that she wants a good relationship with me but that we can't have that if she feels like I'm always waiting for her to say something wrong. 

I hate my mother. 

I hate my mother and want a new one. 

Seriously, every time I watch a movie with a good mother figure, I wish that character was my mom. Riley's mom from Inside Out. Elastigirl. Heck, Narcissa Malfoy was a better mom than mine. When she saw the wizard she'd believed a savior treating her son like crap, her loyalty turned on a dime. No more Dark Lord if you treat my son like that. My mom would've put all the blame on me, then had the audacity to claim she wanted a good relationship with me, but I had to be a better pureblood or something like that. 

Yeah. A pureblood supremacist is a better mother than mine. 

And you can quote me on that.

Edited by TwiLyghtSansSparkles

Bruce has been marking his territory nearly everywhere since I got back from Iowa, so I have him scheduled to get neutered tomorrow. It was the soonest I could get him in, and more than that, it's my day off, so I'll be able to drop him off and pick him up on my own. Had I done it any other day, someone else in my family would've had to either drop him off in the morning or pick him up in the afternoon because of my work schedule. The drawback here is that Bruce has had a week to aggressively mark everything he sees—but again, there is nothing I could do about the timing. Nothing. Keep that in mind as you read.

So today, Bruce urinated on my mom's comforter. She said nothing about it this morning—nothing at all—but when I went downstairs to get some lunch, she brought it up. "One more day," I said.

For some reason, this set her off. I was treated to an off-the-cuff lecture containing the following gems:

• "I have been really nice about the whole thing. I haven't made a big deal about it."
  • "When he peed on my pillow, anyone else would've made you pay for it, but I didn't because I wanted to be sweet and I think you have better things to spend your money on."
  • "If you stay here while the rest of us go to Spokane, you will be responsible for cleaning up after him, and if you let him pee all over the carpet, there's a good chance it will have to be replaced. I might just get sick of the whole thing and make you pay for it."
  • "Getting him neutered won't change his personality. You're going to have to spray him when he barks at people, and you're going to have to teach him not to pee on things."

• No you haven't. You've saved up everything he's done so you could trot it out when you felt like lecturing me.
  • No you weren't. You paid for your own pillows, yes, but you also made me drive all over town to find the only pillows capable of supporting Your Majesty's head. I spent an entire morning looking for those storming pillows, and when I got back, you'd thought of more to yell at me over.
  • Since I can't remember if you said it would cost $1,500 or $15,000 to replace the carpet in this house, let me just say that forcing me to take on either amount of debt while paying off my student loans is a horrible thing to do and you are a horrible person for thinking of it.
  • No, but literally everything I have read says that it will stop aggressive urination and make him less territorial. In other words, it will solve the problems you're having so much fun complaining about.
And then, about twenty minutes after that, she had the audacity to come up to my room and claim the whole thing was my fault because I clam up every time she tries to talk to me, that she wants a good relationship with me but that we can't have that if she feels like I'm always waiting for her to say something wrong.

I hate my mother.

Seriously, every time I watch a movie with a good mother figure, I wish that character was my mom. Riley's mom from Inside Out. Elastigirl. Heck, Narcissa Malfoy was a better mom than mine. When she saw the wizard she'd believed a savior treating her son like crap, her loyalty turned on a dime. No more Dark Lord if you treat my son like that. My mom would've put all the blame on me, then had the audacity to claim she wanted a good relationship with me, but I had to be a better pureblood or something like that.

Every time she rants just imagine cutting her off like Yondu cuts off the Broker in GoTG.

"Oobladoobla deebo ble dobly doo ba"

Edited by Delightful

• No, but literally everything I have read says that it will stop aggressive urination and make him less territorial. In other words, it will solve the problems you're having so much fun complaining about. 

And then, about twenty minutes after that, she had the audacity to come up to my room and claim the whole thing was my fault because clam up every time she tries to talk to me, that she wants a good relationship with me but that we can't have that if she feels like I'm always waiting for her to say something wrong. 

I hate my mother. 

Seriously, every time I watch a movie with a good mother figure, I wish that character was my mom. Riley's mom from Inside Out. Elastigirl. Heck, Narcissa Malfoy was a better mom than mine. When she saw the wizard she'd believed a savior treating her son like crap, her loyalty turned on a dime. No more Dark Lord if you treat my son like that. My mom would've put all the blame on me, then had the audacity to claim she wanted a good relationship with me, but I had to be a better pureblood or something like that. 

On the one hand, I am sad and angry that you have to deal with this.  You deserve better.

On the other...can I just say how extraordinarily, gleefully proud of you I am?  You have come so very, very far in just a few short months.  You're not blaming yourself anymore.  Your self-confidence levels are climbing.  This is just such an amazing contrast from where you've been, and it makes me happy to see it. :)

Every time she rants just imagine cutting her off like Yondu cuts off the Broker in GoTG.

"Oobladoobla deebo ble dobly doo ba"

Or sing this song: 

On the one hand, I am sad and angry that you have to deal with this.  You deserve better.

On the other...can I just say how extraordinarily, gleefully proud of you I am?  You have come so very, very far in just a few short months.  You're not blaming yourself anymore.  Your self-confidence levels are climbing.  This is just such an amazing contrast from where you've been, and it makes me happy to see it. :)

Thanks. :) And really, I have you guys to thank in large part for that. Commenting on my mom's antics with "Wow, that's messed up, sorry you have to deal with that" instead of "Well, she thinks she's doing what's best for you and you have to respect her" really helped me see her for what she is. Seriously, at this time last year, I hated what my parents would do, but I still thought I wanted to live close because the idea of living hundreds of miles away terrified me. Now, I can't wait to move as far away as possible. 

And I think my Great Adulting Adventure in Iowa was the final nail in the coffin. Even if I don't get that job, I learned that I am capable of doing big adult things, and I can handle myself even when things go horribly wrong. (I made it back in time for my shift that day, which I worked with a headache and a desire to curl up on the bathroom floor and go to sleep. Still proud of that.) 

So thank you. All of you. :) 

I have found myself crying again in the middle of an anxiety attack because of my brother.

He straight up told a band director I didn't want to be in the band he directed.

Not sure what exactly he said, but still. Its not good and could jeopardize me if the director actually takes him seriously and docks me for it.

It wasn't even the right director. He told the guy who ran sym 1. I dislike the guy who runs sym 2.

I'm shaking really badly though and just cried a lot. I just. Why. Why would my brother do that. I hear him rant about his pe teacher a lot, maybe I should send her a nice email with all the things my brother has said about her cccccc:

I have found myself crying again in the middle of an anxiety attack because of my brother.

He straight up told a band director I didn't want to be in the band he directed.

Not sure what exactly he said, but still. Its not good and could jeopardize me if the director actually takes him seriously and docks me for it.

It wasn't even the right director. He told the guy who ran sym 1. I dislike the guy who runs sym 2.

I'm shaking really badly though and just cried a lot. I just. Why. Why would my brother do that. I hear him rant about his pe teacher a lot, maybe I should send her a nice email with all the things my brother has said about her cccccc:

I'm sorry, Lark. :( My brother does similar things with my parents--I'll tell him something in confidence, and he'll decide Mom or Dad has to know about it. It definitely sucks. Edited by little wilson
Don't complain about downvotes please

Had to go downtown for a work thing this evening.  Downtown, the rabbit warren of one-way streets and extra weird roads angling off in non-Euclidean directions.  Oh, and I had to park in parking garage, so naturally my phone couldn't get a signal afterwards to fire up the GPS.  So I had to leave the garage, find someplace to park, and then fire up the GPS.  Why?  Because the onramp to I-35 that I need is on some odd little side street with absolutely no signage.  No arrows pointing to it, the ramp itself completely unmarked.  You just have know it's there and exactly how to get to it to find it with a GPS.  (I'm partly convinced that it doesn't actually exist unless you already know how to find it.)

DOWNTOWN KANSAS CITY, THIS IS WHY NOBODY LIKES YOU.

Had to go downtown for a work thing this evening.  Downtown, the rabbit warren of one-way streets and extra weird roads angling off in non-Euclidean directions.  Oh, and I had to park in parking garage, so naturally my phone couldn't get a signal afterwards to fire up the GPS.  So I had to leave the garage, find someplace to park, and then fire up the GPS.  Why?  Because the onramp to I-35 that I need is on some odd little side street with absolutely no signage.  No arrows pointing to it, the ramp itself completely unmarked.  You just have know it's there and exactly how to get to it to find it with a GPS.  (I'm partly convinced that it doesn't actually exist unless you already know how to find it.)

DOWNTOWN KANSAS CITY, THIS IS WHY NOBODY LIKES YOU.

Go north from downtown.  All the highways have easy access along the north edge.

Downtown's bad, but the worst part about Kansas City roads?  The metropolitan area straddles a state border, and the planners on either side have drastically different design paradigms.

Downtown Detroit is very similar, and I hate it. It's always a dreadful experience going downtown. Unlike KC, though, we do have signs. They might not be useful thanks to ever present construction forcing detours (without detour signs), but we do have them.

Oddly, enough, it's just that one onramp to I-35 that lacks a sign.  All of the other spots downtown are well-marked, provided you can figure out how to get to them without meandering up and down thirty one-way streets first.  I suppose it's better than St. Louis, where it's possible to take a wrong exit and wind up accidentally in Illinois; that particular misstep is also really hard to correct, as getting back onto the highway going the right direction is not easy.  (I almost did that once at about 10:30 at night, before the days of GPS.  I pulled a freakin' u-turn on that bridge rather than keep going and get lost.)

Go north from downtown.  All the highways have easy access along the north edge.

Downtown's bad, but the worst part about Kansas City roads?  The metropolitan area straddles a state border, and the planners on either side have drastically different design paradigms.

Ugh.  No.  That would have meant delving into a rabbit warren of one-way streets and weird criss-crossy bridge things.  I have a hard enough time navigating that mess in broad daylight, let alone at night with my Every Light Makes Halos crappy night vision.

Honestly, I think it's less a problem between the two states and more of a problem just with Wyandotte County.  Johnson County interfaces pretty neatly with the Missouri side; it's just once you get north enough into Wyandotte and State Line Road disappears that things start to get really squirrelly.

What happened?

I had a phone interview for Silver City, NM. Maybe it went better than I thought, but I didn't think it went well. I was super nervous and I think my answers were too short. One question asked me to describe my experience planning and promoting a program, and since I've never done that I had to say so and I didn't have an example I could stretch. Then, on the last question, my mom yelled for my attention to let me know she was leaving the house, which distracted me and made me stumble through my answer. 

I had a phone interview for Silver City, NM. Maybe it went better than I thought, but I didn't think it went well. I was super nervous and I think my answers were too short. One question asked me to describe my experience planning and promoting a program, and since I've never done that I had to say so and I didn't have an example I could stretch. Then, on the last question, my mom yelled for my attention to let me know she was leaving the house, which distracted me and made me stumble through my answer. 

I'd ask if she realized you were on an interview call, but of course she did.  'Cause she doesn't care about any opportunities for you outside an x-mile radius of Spokane.  :rolleyes:

That last thing is one of the reasons I think interview should not be help over phone. How much did the last question actually take up?